New Amarillo baseball team announces name finalists

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed. 

There's a fine line between whimsy and pure stupid, but these are so far over the line they can't even see whimsy anymore.

You misspelled pure stupid when you wrote for the second time whimsy.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked armadillos wouldn't be a contestant. It just seemed so natural. I like the Long Haulers the most but what kind of concept could you  come up with for that?

I'm surprised there is nothing weather related as Amarillo is prone to tornadoes and thunderstorms. The Twisters would have been cool but I realize the Storm Chasers have a monopoly on middle-american weather related themed baseball teams.

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

Done. I would just prefer they'd have gone with something as straight forward as 66ers if they wanted an identity based on the old Mother Road.

That's taken.

7202_inland_empire_66ers-primary-2014.pn

VmWIn6B.png

5 minutes ago, LMU said:

That's taken.

7202_inland_empire_66ers-primary-2014.pn

They are not in the Texas League. There is no rule stating you cant have multiple teams with the same name in MiLB. You have several teams with the same name.

Signature intentionally left blank

Besides, Route 66 went from Chicago to LA and was the main street of every major city or town along its route at one point. 

I might feel differently if the California League club were actually named for San Bernardino, which was one of the major towns along the route. But "Inland Empire" just sounds like some chintzy buzz term created by the same sort of developers who are responsible for the mother road's demise.

In short, I think Amarillo would do a Route 66 based identity much more justice.

38 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

They are not in the Texas League. There is no rule stating you cant have multiple teams with the same name in MiLB. You have several teams with the same name.

You wont be able to trademark the name at all...thus the reason.

I'm going to assume Brandiose has never been to Amarillo (probably for the best really, since they'd attempt to commit suicide within the first two hours or dissolve upon contact with the scent of manure) and just opted for names they associate with "Texas hellscape".

No attempt to reference the Cadillac Ranch.  No attempt to reference the Big Texan.  That's a fail.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Trademarks are federal, not state. And 66ers is both referencing the exact same thing. It's a very specific name. It's not generic like "Indians" or "Warriors".

As for names, Long Haulers is at least somewhat city specific. It is a major transportation hub.

I know it's a corporate tie-in, but I would've liked to see them named the Big Texans.

I literally only read the names list and knew that Brandiose was doing the design. That damn company is too clever (clever is the wrong word here, I just don't have a better one) for its own good. Eventually everyone's gonna get sick of it, backlash against them and their whole style will be spectacular.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

19 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

I'll say it again like I did in the other thread. Amarillo Armadillos would have been amazing. 

I've used that in fictional leagues before.  It seems like such a no-brainer.

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed. 

There's a fine line between whimsy and pure stupid, but these are so far over the line they can't even see whimsy anymore.

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

My shoes fell off.

I get what you did there.

61fnh4sIIWL.gif

EDIT:  6,666th post.  That's like Satan on steroids.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

In before Sod Poodles wins.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I'm from amarillo and I personally submitted "windsox".

we've had independent teams called "dillas" for several years, which was an incredibly popular name and was a big merch seller in town. I don't know, however, if there are legal/copyright reasons why that name can't be or wasn't chosen. and most recently we were just plain "sox" (because another team had the trademark on GOLD sox) for a few years before they changed it to "thunderheads" which is supposed to be another name for a thunderstorm cloud. that last name was originally pretty much universally hated here because they never asked our opinion about changing the name and we were so used to the history and tradition of the (gold) sox name but overtime it grew on us. I know personally I'd welcome back the name "thunderheads" with open arms.

now these choices? these choices are crap. plain and simple. I signed a petition yesterday requesting/demanding more options when it had a little over 1,000 signatures and right now it has over 5,000. I know that minor league names are often unique and that they want to cater to kids AND adults and there are a lot of names out there that are pretty good (sans baby cakes...) and get the job done. these five do not.

Archived