SportsLogos.Net News

Pittsburgh Steelers Unveil 1979 Throwback Uniform

17 hours ago, bwburke94 said:

Perhaps, for once, selling more jerseys isn't the reason. I admit it's a long shot, but the only reasonable options for a black jersey are this or Batman.

Selling jerseys is the only reason they do this. Odds are it's the Batman jersey but I can see them doing one of the gold with black numbers jerseys they wore in the 1930's.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:51 AM, C-Squared said:

I don't hate it, either... I've had this image on my desktop for a month now - there's something visually intimidating about the darkness of this photo:

1.jpg?screen

the lack of gold anywhere on those pants displeases me. 

20 minutes ago, ssj_homeslice said:

if this leak is to be believed; it looks  like they're going with the '70s throwback

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/leak-or-fake-news-steelers-2018-throwback-jerseys-might-be-from-1979-season/

Don't know if it's just me but a throwback that is exactly the same as your current uniform sans the patch and with block font is a pretty lame throwback. 

Don't get me wrong, the 70's digs are a great look. It's just not different enough from what they always wear.

Disappointing if true. It’s a good look, for sure. But it’s so similar that it begs the question: what’s the point? Either stick with the italic numbers or revert to block full time, but there’s no reason to have two identical sets with only a difference in font. The Batman style is the obvious and superior style because 1) it’s a great look, and 2) it’s actually different from the one they wear every other week.

33 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Disappointing if true. It’s a good look, for sure. But it’s so similar that it begs the question: what’s the point? Either stick with the italic numbers or revert to block full time, but there’s no reason to have two identical sets with only a difference in font. The Batman style is the obvious and superior style because 1) it’s a great look, and 2) it’s actually different from the one they wear every other week.

I was just about to post this very opinion as well. I totally agree with every point.

I agree with the above posts, what's the point of these throwbacks? Just thinking, would the Batman jersey cause a template problem for Nike?  Would they have to have made a special template for the Steelers? 

I made a couple mock ups of how the throwback would look in MS Paint using the CR uni. I like it, but as others have said, it's really not too different than our primaries, and I wish we could've gone with the batman unis... oh wellodYuwS5.jpg

hcsl3M6.jpg

2 minutes ago, lahaye7 said:

I agree with the above posts, what's the point of these throwbacks? Just thinking, would the Batman jersey cause a template problem for Nike?  Would they have to have made a special template for the Steelers? 

based off the pro bowl unis from a couple years ago, I feel like the golden diamond wouldn't have been a problem on the VU template

On 5/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

You know, we already have an "unpopular opinions" thread.

Haha, l know. I really like the current number font.

1 hour ago, ssj_homeslice said:

based off the pro bowl unis from a couple years ago, I feel like the golden diamond wouldn't have been a problem on the VU template

Yeah it could have been identical to those. Not to mention the VU can also be sublimated so pretty much any design is now available.

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I can see them making it about celebrating the 1978 or 1979 team, wouldn’t be shocked if they conviced Terry Bradshaw to show up again so they can officially retire his number. 

8 hours ago, ssj_homeslice said:

I made a couple mock ups of how the throwback would look in MS Paint using the CR uni. I like it, but as others have said, it's really not too different than our primaries, and I wish we could've gone with the batman unis... oh wellodYuwS5.jpg

hcsl3M6.jpg

It shouldn't have the patch.

8 hours ago, ssj_homeslice said:

hcsl3M6.jpg

Ditch jersey patch and add logo to left-side of helmet. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The differences are so subtle that I don't think most people will realize it's a throwback. It kinda reminds me of the Packers throwbacks from Thanksgiving 2003.

2003_thanksgiving_Rivera.jpg

2003_thanksgiving_Walker.jpg

Didn’t think anyone would beat the Browns in unveiling a throwback that’s practically the same as the currentBraylon+Edwards+New+York+Giants+v+Clevel

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The differences are so subtle that I don't think most people will realize it's a throwback. It kinda reminds me of the Packers throwbacks from Thanksgiving 2003.

2003_thanksgiving_Rivera.jpg

2003_thanksgiving_Walker.jpg

I love the lack of white in the sleeve stripes, but it drove me crazy how they wore socks with the current sleeve stripe pattern instead of matching them.

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

I love the lack of white in the sleeve stripes, but it drove me crazy how they wore socks with the current sleeve stripe pattern instead of matching them.

That mismatch is historically accurate, though.

1962PACKERS-at49ersPicture.JPG

On 5/28/2018 at 7:55 AM, WSU151 said:

I’m guessing gray face masks will be worn?

If it's based on 1979 then no.

- I wonder if this is a trial balloon for a potential full-time return to block numbers.