Pittsburgh Steelers Unveil 1979 Throwback Uniform

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're good looking but.....pretty boring for an alternate. Block numbers would be a great full-time look, but most people probably won't even notice when the Steelers are wearing these throwbacks and when they are wearing their regular homes. 

It's better than something over-the-top like an all-yellow look, but it's still pretty simplistic in this day and age. Could be a lot better, could be a lot worse. 

6 hours ago, scraw28 said:

mkg9wvsaosvl3spwrf8g.jpgtedofruasxsp97pya0qs.jpgewzrlauizk9qzylckwwp.jpg

Oh JuJu. 

Nothing about the way you wear your socks or black cleats says '79.  A lot of the issues with throwbacks is how the players wear them. Today the untucked jersey on long-way of wearing socks just doesnt give throwbacks that feel.  Granted, some teams...players do it right but most don't care.  Homework JuJu. Do it. Lynn Swann. C'mon guy. 

On 5/29/2018 at 8:51 AM, Gothamite said:

You would have loved the 1959 uniforms, then.  The only year they wore white socks with the road jersey stripe pattern.

1959_PackersSocks.jpg

By the following season, they had eliminated the road socks and players wore the standard home green striped socks.

1960_PackersEagles.jpg

I don't see any ":mismatch" in the throwback socks, though.  The striping pattern repeats the Braisher stripes on the pants.

2003_thanksgiving_Walker.jpg

The color order is the same, but the scale changes the look too much for them to coordinate properly for me. On that uniform, I’d rather see a solid green sock, or even take the two gold stripes from the sleeve design and add them to the green sock.

For a stripe as complex as what’s on that sock, I prefer to pair it with a simpler pant and helmet stripe, as Pittsburgh does.

Truth be told though (I know it’s sacrilege for them to change at this point), I’d love to see the Packers in a green and gold version of the 1940s shoulder yoke uniform, with a few new touches, like a green helmet and pant stripe and a simplified G or even a GB logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

32 minutes ago, Est1980 said:

Oh JuJu. 

Nothing about the way you wear your socks or black cleats says '79.  A lot of the issues with throwbacks is how the players wear them. Today the untucked jersey on long-way of wearing socks just doesnt give throwbacks that feel.  Granted, some teams...players do it right but most don't care.  Homework JuJu. Do it. Lynn Swann. C'mon guy. 

Right on.  If they truly want this to be a throwback, they've gotta wear predominantly high white socks (black colorblocking at the top, but only about 25% or less of the sock or tight underneath a white sock) and white shoes.  They missed the opportunity to swap out to a grey facemask here, which is a huge miss, but they could at least get the socks/shoes right.

1975-Steelers_Bengals-Week-13-Saturday-g

23 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Ok, I'll ask...

What's with the bike?

Juju had his bike infamously stolen and returned last year... it was a big story at the time.

27 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Ok, I'll ask...

What's with the bike?

19 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I think it's a reference to the old time training camp tradition of players riding kids' bikes to the practice fields... I'm pretty sure Green Bay players still do it to this day.

JuJu, when he was a rookie, rode his bike to practice and famously had it stolen. Antonio Brown offered a reward to the person who returned it. Not sure if he ever paid up.

Looks like he customized the decals on it since last year. Also looks like he’s riding on an effectively flat tire. ?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Right on.  If they truly want this to be a throwback, they've gotta wear predominantly high white socks (black colorblocking at the top, but only about 25% or less of the sock or tight underneath a white sock) and white shoes.  They missed the opportunity to swap out to a grey facemask here, which is a huge miss, but they could at least get the socks/shoes right.

1975-Steelers_Bengals-Week-13-Saturday-g

Because you can’t sell high white sanitary socks or white cleats to fans, so it isn’t relevant to that “throwback swag.”

Somewhat related: is anyone thinking that producing these throwback jerseys for retail is as simple as manufacturing the jersey the same way with the (woven sleeve stripes) while leavin off the logo and stitching on different numbers? Could something like that actually be a latent factor regarding how a team selects an alternate?

15 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Why not at least say these are a 70s throwback and wear the gray facemasks? 

The Steelers wore a black facemask for two of their four 1970s Super Bowl wins, so either one has a claim to being the "70s" uniform.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

17 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

The Steelers wore a black facemask for two of their four 1970s Super Bowl wins, so either one has a claim to being the "70s" uniform.

True, but gray facemasks would at least distinguish these more from the current set.

That said, since they're specifically calling these '78-'79 throwbacks, the black facemasks are accurate.

cfd9cba814a756d67e55f44623593178.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived