2018 CFL Uniforms

Chewbacca

The CFL disappoints me in the fact that, aside from newer teams like the RedBlacks, they are an entire league based upon classic, "powerhouse" looks...that simply keeps tweaking and toying with those looks until they've been ruined. They try to come across as hip and cool with all these weird variations for their historic teams...but in the end just look like Grandma and Grandpa dressing like hipsters.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, agentrygraphics said:

The CFL disappoints me in the fact that, aside from newer teams like the RedBlacks, they are an entire league based upon classic, "powerhouse" looks...that simply keeps tweaking and toying with those looks until they've been ruined. They try to come across as hip and cool with all these weird variations for their historic teams...but in the end just look like Grandma and Grandpa dressing like hipsters.

One of the most accurate comparison I've ever seen. Bravo!

2 hours ago, agentrygraphics said:

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Look, the rest of the league can look like clownshoes so long as Hamilton and Toronto maintain their classic looks.  

I was just going to say: Hamilton and Toronto's uniforms look pretty good IMO. :) 

We'll see what New Era does with the league. I really hope we see Calgary and Saskatchewan embrace looks from their history.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 minute ago, mr.negative15 said:

We'll see what New Era does with the league. I really hope we see Calgary and Saskatchewan embrace looks from their history.

Yeah. Winnipeg manages to make the classic look work as well, but outside of them and the Argos and TiCats? It’s a mess. 

Which was sort of my point. Edmonton, BC, Calgary, Saskatchewan, Montreal...they all have great historical looks to reference, and sometimes they do reference them. Like the Roughriders’ throwbacks.

The problem is that these teams never seem interested in embracing those looks full time. 

I’ve just sort of given up on them ever trying to look good at this point. It’s always going to be garbage. 

At least Hamilton, Toronto, and Winnipeg seem committed to looking good to great. 

I'd like to see the Blue Bombers do away with the contrasting shoulders on their whites, actually.  Looks silly and detracts from their otherwise excellent look.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Look, the rest of the league can look like clownshoes so long as Hamilton and Toronto maintain their classic looks.  

Seeing the Stamps and Riders looking like cheap I-AA small colleges is tough though, these guys used to look absolutely stunning...

I have very little confidence in the Stampeders and CSEC to have a decent, if any, change with the switch to New Era.

I made a post on the boards awhile back, though I don't remember in what thread, about just how bad CSEC (the Flames ownership group who also own the Stamps, Roughnecks and Hitmen) is especially when it comes to the uniforms. Just take a look at the current uniforms (and this is even after recent template improvements to the Hitmen and Roughnecks and I guess we'll include the Flames switch to Adidas as a slight "improvement"). The best part is, is that all four have had very good to great looks in the past, but all fell victim to the template takeover with the switch in recent years to Reebok in each respective league.

fbo-cfl-stampeders-redblacks-2018071210.

20170920_77_JANKOWSKI_FLA7781GT___Super_

bf9ebb03-6367-4d75-9f6c-29432ab83d12_529

(I'll admit the Hitmen black jersey is better, because there is no piping or phantom yoke, but still white armpits)

20180113_7_BURTON_ROU0128CW.jpg

IEI5Tg1.png

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I have very little confidence in the Stampeders and CSEC to have a decent, if any, change with the switch to New Era.

I made a post on the boards awhile back, though I don't remember in what thread, about just how bad CSEC (the Flames ownership group who also own the Stamps, Roughnecks and Hitmen) is especially when it comes to the uniforms. Just take a look at the current uniforms (and this is even after recent template improvements to the Hitmen and Roughnecks and I guess we'll include the Flames switch to Adidas as a slight "improvement"). The best part is, is that all four have had very good to great looks in the past, but all fell victim to the template takeover with the switch in recent years to Reebok in each respective league.

That's a good observation, they just seem to love piping and ultra "modern" looks. Although the Roughnecks look good.

Also, apparently teams in the Grey Cup game are not permitted to wear alternate uniforms anymore, so the Stampeders are wearing their normal red jerseys with Ottawa in white:

https://calgarysun.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/stampeders-to-wear-traditional-red-jerseys-for-grey-cup-game

Saskatchewan was the last to wear alternates in the Grey Cup in 2010.

17 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I'd like to see the Blue Bombers do away with the contrasting shoulders on their whites, actually.  Looks silly and detracts from their otherwise excellent look.

A common sentiment that I've heard but to be perfectly honest with you I don't mind it. It's a uniform element that no other CFL team has so it's unique in that regard but I don't feel it's "over the top" if you know what I mean? 

Maybe by contrast (to Calgary and Sask) I don't mind it much either. Kind of like how I feel about Edmonton. "could be worse" 

2 hours ago, G-tron said:

That's a good observation, they just seem to love piping and ultra "modern" looks. Although the Roughnecks look good.

Also, apparently teams in the Grey Cup game are not permitted to wear alternate uniforms anymore, so the Stampeders are wearing their normal red jerseys with Ottawa in white:

https://calgarysun.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/stampeders-to-wear-traditional-red-jerseys-for-grey-cup-game

Saskatchewan was the last to wear alternates in the Grey Cup in 2010.

Thank goodness! 

My biggest pet peeve with Calgary is that they just look way too much like Ottawa. In a league with 9 teams that just shouldn't happen (I know, that's not a new thought but the point remains true). If they want to go all modern with the designs, fine. I don't prefer it but whatever. Just drop the black for grey please so they don't look so similar. 

Any yeah, the Roughnecks do look good. I'm so glad the brought the oil rigs back on the side panel. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

18 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Reportedly, only Montreal is expected to make any significant changes next year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, Ice_Cap said:

At least Hamilton, Toronto, and Winnipeg seem committed to looking good to great. 

Except that both Hamilton and Toronto insist on wearing unitard looks, particularly in the "home" version, far more often than not. Both teams have all the components to have superb unis, but they rarely put them together in the right way. Toronto used no fewer than 10 different combos in 22 games (preseason included) in 2017, only seven of which were same colour top-to-bottom. But this year, all-white or all-blue became the default, and there were only a couple of variations.

2 hours ago, paulwoods13 said:

Except that both Hamilton and Toronto insist on wearing unitard looks, particularly in the "home" version, far more often than not. Both teams have all the components to have superb unis, but they rarely put them together in the right way. Toronto used no fewer than 10 different combos in 22 games (preseason included) in 2017, only seven of which were same colour top-to-bottom. But this year, all-white or all-blue became the default, and there were only a couple of variations.

I actually don't mind the all-blue look for the Argos. Is it my all time-fave? No, but I don't hate it.

Contrasting pants would look better, no doubt.

I also think that Hamilton unitard thing would be solved with some type of striping down the side of the pants. They used to have just 2 yellow stripes down the side of their pants a could years ago and I thought that was a great look. 

Minor fixes compared to the rest of the league though. 

Archived