DanielDoodlesandConcets

What’s the worst mlb logo

Recommended Posts

Going by primary logo alone, the Rockies CR seems dated.  They should own purple and black and move on from the White Sox lookalike.

------------

For those of you talking about the Rays diamond logo, i believe it was confirmed by @CC97 during the Rays 20th Anniversary unveiling, that the Rays media guide seemed to show that the Rays script has became the new official primary per the media guide.

 

http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/02/07/rays-tweak-logo-unveil-20th-announce-throwback-games/

 

Screen-Shot-2018-02-07-at-10.44.52--590x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brewers current look is unmitigated garbage.  Just compare the old primary logo to their jersey script.

 

ophgazfdzfdkeugut9bdw3iyz.png

 

 

ttfelv66500qiz4fenp9hphn5.png

 

Any time you have to rotate a script to fit it on a logo, that ought to be a huge warning sign.

 

And the outlines!  Oh, the outlines.  Nobody's ever been able to give me a good reason why the jersey script should have a second, navy, drop shadow, when neither the numbers nor the NOB has it.

 

7153df61-c77c-4234-9bca-d5d6db8634b4.jpg636583020741644779-MJS-BREWERS03-38-WOOD

 

Also, Times New Roman?  Really?  I know people like to call athletic block "generic", but there's nothing more generic than a font that is literally the default font in Microsoft Word.

 

Plus they lose a million points for "Brewers" on the road jerseys.  Don't be ashamed of your town, boys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The Rangers' Western-style "T." 

 

I can't stand it. It's just an ugly looking letter that doesn't match with the "T" on the "TEXAS" jerseys. It also has an odd outline/drop shadow that just looks bad. 

 

 

Fun fact: that “T” is asymmetrical! 

 

xtmw8n16nfe5ewcc87hen8tec.png

 

The right side of the top bar is shorter than the left. Have fun unseeing that!

 

Also, to throw my hat into the ring:

 

o4lmh7dq5e3uordl7hvk6i3ug.png

 

This one is just a compositional mess, in addition to the bulbous script. The underline appears in only a few other places in the identity, the wordmark and Liberty Bell compete for attention, and there isn’t enough “breathing space” for each of the logo’s elements. I feel like we don’t talk enough about this mark’s problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

Fun fact: that “T” is asymmetrical! 

 

xtmw8n16nfe5ewcc87hen8tec.png

 

The right side of the top bar is shorter than the left. Have fun unseeing that!

 

You :censored: !

 

Could be just the digital files, though.  Looks correct on the cap itself.

 

ff_2659225alt2_full.jpg&w=2000

 

But what the heck is going on here?

 

ad2azlm.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NicDB said:

You can't get much more of a polished turd than the Brewers recent "rebrand."
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSbH5RsDrxSbTVRGLEweImilwaukee_brewers_2018-pres.png

So the logo is more legible at smaller sizes now... great.  Except it still has 3 outlines and the barley sprig becomes a muddled mess thanks to the lack of contrast with navy and gold.  Only you can't get rid of the outlines, or else you lose the gold entirely when viewed at a distance and see exactly why the M isn't strong enough to stand on its own.

bf6c0a884cba4d6ecb9083259391c7a5f0b46aad

 

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but i actually really like the brewers identity for the most part. Navy and gold is pretty unique and their script has character that imo looks good on a baseball jersey but would also look good in a bar or on a beer bottle. 

 

I'm honestly surprised it gets so much hate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even think that Rangers quirk falls into the "can't unsee it" category.  I'm never going to remember or notice that again.  But still, why?

 

The other thing on that "T" is that the cross-bar looks a bit thicker on the right side than the left, though the drop-shadow is probably just messing with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Brewers logo was always intended to be appreciated only after getting drunk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Brewers current look is unmitigated garbage.  Just compare the old primary logo to their jersey script.

 

ophgazfdzfdkeugut9bdw3iyz.png

 

 

ttfelv66500qiz4fenp9hphn5.png

 

Any time you have to rotate a script to fit it on a logo, that ought to be a huge warning sign.

 

And the outlines!  Oh, the outlines.  Nobody's ever been able to give me a good reason why the jersey script should have a second, navy, drop shadow, when neither the numbers nor the NOB has it.

 

7153df61-c77c-4234-9bca-d5d6db8634b4.jpg636583020741644779-MJS-BREWERS03-38-WOOD

 

Also, Times New Roman?  Really?  I know people like to call athletic block "generic", but there's nothing more generic than a font that is literally the default font in Microsoft Word.

 

Plus they lose a million points for "Brewers" on the road jerseys.  Don't be ashamed of your town, boys.

 

I feel like those represent brewery very well. Also the numbers have a shadow drop. The Times New Roman fits the style and brewer style. Why do people seem to dislike newer uniforms? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Why do people seem to dislike newer uniforms? 

This right here is a great question. It doesn't apply to everyone but I feel way too many people seem to judge uniforms based on how old they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only newer uniforms everybody should hate are the Diamondbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, tron1013 said:

1200px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png

 

 

As a Clevelander, I agree.  Saying that to anyone within the City is a business decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

You :censored: !

 

Could be just the digital files, though.  Looks correct on the cap itself.

 

ff_2659225alt2_full.jpg&w=2000

 

But what the heck is going on here?

 

ad2azlm.jpg

 

 

...at least its consistent.

 

(Looking at you, Yankees)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

I feel like those represent brewery very well. Also the numbers have a shadow drop. The Times New Roman fits the style and brewer style. Why do people seem to dislike newer uniforms? 

They have a GOLD drop shadow....but the point was that neither the NOB or numbers have the second drop shadow (which is navy) that the wordmark does on the front of the jersey. So, why does the wordmark have it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Going by primary logo alone, the Rockies CR seems dated.  They should own purple and black and move on from the White Sox lookalike.

------------

For those of you talking about the Rays diamond logo, i believe it was confirmed by @CC97 during the Rays 20th Anniversary unveiling, that the Rays media guide seemed to show that the Rays script has became the new official primary per the media guide.

 

http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/02/07/rays-tweak-logo-unveil-20th-announce-throwback-games/

 

Screen-Shot-2018-02-07-at-10.44.52--590x

The Rays best logo by far is the ray on their sleeve, I love that logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Brewers current look is unmitigated garbage.  Just compare the old primary logo to their jersey script.

 

ophgazfdzfdkeugut9bdw3iyz.png

 

 

ttfelv66500qiz4fenp9hphn5.png

 

Any time you have to rotate a script to fit it on a logo, that ought to be a huge warning sign.

 

And the outlines!  Oh, the outlines.  Nobody's ever been able to give me a good reason why the jersey script should have a second, navy, drop shadow, when neither the numbers nor the NOB has it.

 

7153df61-c77c-4234-9bca-d5d6db8634b4.jpg636583020741644779-MJS-BREWERS03-38-WOOD

 

Also, Times New Roman?  Really?  I know people like to call athletic block "generic", but there's nothing more generic than a font that is literally the default font in Microsoft Word.

 

Plus they lose a million points for "Brewers" on the road jerseys.  Don't be ashamed of your town, boys.

 

 

1 hour ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

I feel like those represent brewery very well. Also the numbers have a shadow drop. The Times New Roman fits the style and brewer style. Why do people seem to dislike newer uniforms? 


Look at the "neck" of the 2 as it curves towards the bottom, or the serifs on the 1.  Weakness.

Also, the design sensibilities of baseball uniforms and beer labels have pretty much always been joined at the hip.  Any traditional element of a baseball script would look good on a beer label and vice versa.  Even Miller High Life uses a "Tuscan" font that's very similar to what the Rangers and Angels use.

1160_MILR_Website_Landing_02.png

The problem with the Brewers uniforms is that they represent when beer companies were overthinking things and trying to reinvent the wheel, adding unnecessary clutter to their labels.  Even Miller Lite itself recognized that this was a problem and corrected it.  The Brewers need to do the same... preferably by ditching uniforms that are just a thinly veiled ad for Miller Lite in the first place (because there aren't already enough Miller ads at Miller Park).

biggermillertimeline.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.