When the CFL Expands....

johnnysama

With another CFL season in full swing now with its preseason as of this message, I thought I'd ask "What kind of things would you do if the CFL expands to 10 teams?"
------

One idea I had was to re-do the playoff structure.

1) Do away with the crossover.

2) Four teams play two semi-final games, which will be seed as such:
The first place team plays the fourth place team, and the second place team plays the third place team in the division semis. The division finals will pit the two winners, with the higher seed of the two semi-final winners getting home-field advantage. This straight-forward format is why the crossover will be done away with.

Other than that, that's all I can think of.

UBwef0L.png

35 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Either that, or kill the divisions. Single table, top six make it. 

Mmm, top 4 better.  Make the regular season meaningful.  The way the CFL is now, it's more of a challenge to miss the playoffs then make them...

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

I know nothing (in general, but especially) about the CFL, so I was just reading about the playoff format.

Crossover is weird.  I like that in theory it rewards a good team in a strong division over a not-as-good team in the other one, but running that team through the other division's playoffs (and potentially having a "east" champ that doesnt' even play in the east) is just strange.  

How are the schedules - balanced or unbalanced?  Meaning, does every team play the same schedule or do you play more against your division rivals?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Either that, or kill the divisions. Single table, top six make it. 

I'd much rather keep the divisional setup, personally.

A major upside to my proposed playoff format is that the higher seeded teams have the potential for more revenue in that they will play two home games.

UBwef0L.png

The likelihood is that it will be Halifax, based on any talk we've heard over the past year. If that happens, that's as big as I can see the CFL getting, if not ever, in my lifetime. 

That said, it's obvious that Halifax would be the 5th east team no-brainier there. I don't think the answer is to expand the playoffs, that means just 2 teams in the league would miss and I don't think that's a good idea. 

I think 1 goes to the division final and 2 v 3 remains the playoff format. Just remove the crossover. 

Otherwise I don't really want to see much change. I think this would be a welcome balance that the league has already planned for (adding extra bye weeks last year seem to be the league prepping for a longer season due to an extra team IMO).....just my 2 cents

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

12 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

The likelihood is that it will be Halifax, based on any talk we've heard over the past year. If that happens, that's as big as I can see the CFL getting, if not ever, in my lifetime. 

That said, it's obvious that Halifax would be the 5th east team no-brainier there. I don't think the answer is to expand the playoffs, that means just 2 teams in the league would miss and I don't think that's a good idea. 

I think 1 goes to the division final and 2 v 3 remains the playoff format. Just remove the crossover. 

Otherwise I don't really want to see much change. I think this would be a welcome balance that the league has already planned for (adding extra bye weeks last year seem to be the league prepping for a longer season due to an extra team IMO).....just my 2 cents

Victoria?

Greater Sudbury?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Sudbury? You gotta be kidding me. You can't play football on the moon.

Calm down, it's all make believe.

I was thinking Anchorage would be a novel idea also.

3 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Where would they play? It may be make believe, but some semblance of reality is nice here and there.

The Stadium, bring in some portable seating to up the minimum seating to around 15,000 plus another 4,000 to 5,000 standing and it would be a good start.

In addition to the expanded playoffs, the regular season would stay at 18 games, but with one team playing nine other opponents now, the schedule reverts to the 1981-85 formula, which is a round-robin format: All teams play each other twice, once at home and once on the road.

On 6/3/2018 at 6:39 PM, mr.negative15 said:

Well, in the years when Montreal or Ottawa didn't have a team (1987-92, 1997-2001, 2006-13), two teams in both divisions missed the playoffs, so it wouldn't be that much different from those years. (3 out of 4 would make the playoffs in those years.)

UBwef0L.png

Archived