Terrible names, amazing uniforms

RoughRiders99

The other day I was shooting a baseball game between the Iowa Cubs and the New Orleans Baby Cakes. While I thought the Baby Cakes moniker is a TERRIBLE name, their uniforms did look pretty good. I love their color scheme and the designs/fonts of the logos. It screams New Orleans. I thought the look was fitting for a team from NOLA. Just... the name itself sucks in my opinion. 

U9s8cSS.jpg

Any other teams whose names suck, but have amazing uniforms in their set? 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think anyone can touch the Wild in terms of the big 4.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don’t think anyone can touch the Wild in terms of the big 4.

Yeah, Wild is by far the dumbest name in the NHL. Just think about it, how terrible of a name that really is. Luckily the uniforms and logo saves it all. The main logo is fantastic, simply fantastic. Modern classic. The only bad logo the Wild have ever put out it that roundel logo with the strange “wild” script in it. Oh and how the roundel also includes NHL Hockey in it. As if we didn’t already know the Wild are in the NHL.

The jerseys are great too. Whether they use a red, white or green it seems to always work. 

3 hours ago, HooperScooper said:

None of those are terrible name (well maybe the wizards)

<MOD EDIT>

<MOD EDIT>

Anyway, Wizards is a bad team name that doesn't really tie with the city (please correct me if I'm wrong anyone). Diamondbacks is kinda long but I like it. Not a huge fan of shortening it to D-Backs though. I also don't find that uniform to be amazing, as I am usually anti-vest and I hate most uses of pin stripes.

A reminder to everyone in this thread of No. 4 in the CCSLC Official Guidelines:

4. No Discussion of Native American Team Name Controversies

This topic, like various political topics, often devolves into name calling, straw man construction, and other assorted "tactics" not suitable in intelligent, mutually respectable debate.

I have never been more intrigued by a mod edit than I am in this thread. SFGIants58 never gets peckerslapped.

EDIT: Well, never did, I guess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Before I proceed, I'd like to share my two cents on the already-mentioned brands:

• "Magic" is a terrific name for the Orlando franchise.  I'd say that based on their modern role as one of the NBA's many minor-league feeder, wasteland franchises, this falls into the "Irony" category, but "terrible?"  Certainly not.
  • "Wild" is admittedly kind of a dumb name, but as others have said the logo is brilliant.  Would "Wilderness" have been any better?  Or "Park Rangers" or some crap?  I feel like Wild is marginally acceptable.  Terrible, though...stretch.
  • "Green Wave" is tough, as I always associate it with agriculture, farmland high schools and such.  I'd qualify this as "amateur," but not terrible.

I don't think the minor leagues should count, honestly.  Their entire enterprise is coming up with weird, bizarre, cartoonish ideas, and in some strange way a lot of genuine high-quality creative output is the result. 

As far as the Big 4, I felt like the Raptors 2000s look was pretty great for its time, considering their brand was minor-league from the outset.  Recouped some dignity and had a look that was for several years associated with some modicum of success.

tumblr_ns3s8x8fNN1qd6wt5o1_1280.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived