Terrible names, amazing uniforms

RoughRiders99

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I don’t think anyone can touch the Wild in terms of the big 4.

I would love to see them come to their sense and just become the Minnesota Wildcats.  They could keep everything else about their identity, the logo would be even more fitting, and they could finally rid themselves of that goofy awkward name that's always held them back.

12 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I would love to see them come to their sense and just become the Minnesota Wildcats.  They could keep everything else about their identity, the logo would be even more fitting, and they could finally rid themselves of that goofy awkward name that's always held them back.

Sorry, I don't see that as better. Wildcats has such a college/high school feel to it (and with Northwestern a B10 school...which could be a problem for loyal Gopher fans). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Sorry, I don't see that as better. Wildcats has such a college/high school feel to it (and with Northwestern a B10 school...which could be a problem for loyal Gopher fans). 

It's better...but pretty much by default.

If the Wild were to change their name* they'd probably have to abandon the logo.  Minnesota Scenery Bears?  Minnesota Bears? (Naming after a NFL division rival would both more people than Northwestern, by a lot).  Minnesota Wild Animals?  

They created a great logo...for a terrible name.  If you want one, you're stuck with the other.  

*It isn't happening.  It's been nearly 20 years and the team, despite nothing but mediocrity, still draws well.  I don't know what most fans think of the name, but the team is embraced.  As bad as the name is, it's not changing.  I also tend to think that most of the people who reacted negatively (and many did) have simply gotten used to it would not currently support a change.  Those who would (like myself) are in the minority, even among those most disappointed originally.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

18 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Image result for vegas golden knights

Unpopular opinion alert: The biggest issue with the Vegas Golden Knights' name isn't the adjective "Golden," it's the slangy city name. As has been discussed at length before, "Vegas" comes across as too gimmicky, too minor-league. "Las Vegas Knights" or even "Las Vegas Golden Knights" (while a mouthful) sounds much better and much more professional.

We've had an NHL team with Golden in their name before and I'm actually kinda OK with seeing that descriptor return. They picked the best adjective by far, even though I'd say that going with just "Knights" would work far better.

I will also say "Silver Knights" wouldn't sound too bad, either, given that Nevada is the Silver State, though they would risk looking too much like the LA Kings. "Black Knights," as also explained, smacks of trying to be too Army-like, and don't get me started with "Desert Knights."

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Wildcats wouldn't exactly be my first choice for a name either, for the reasons you named; but it can at least serve the purpose of giving Minnesota an identity that's not completely ridiculous.

Besides, the Gophers' main rivals are Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, and Duluth.  Does anyone even consider Northwestern a real rival other than maybe Illinois?

4 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Wildcats wouldn't exactly be my first choice for a name either, for the reasons you named; but it can at least serve the purpose of giving Minnesota an identity that's not completely ridiculous.

Besides, the Gophers' main rivals are Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, and Duluth.  Does anyone even consider Northwestern a real rival other than maybe Illinois?

apparently  they have something of a rivalry with Iowa and Wisconsin and they are trying to start one with northern illinois granted this is from wikipedia so take it how you want to

5 minutes ago, NicDB said:

The Wild logo is a bear head though, not to mention our most successful franchise the Lynx is a wild cat.

As someone else mentioned, the name has been around too long to change it.  I'm in the camp that likes the name.  The only change that would be supported locally is if we got the North Stars name back

13 minutes ago, lbj273 said:

The Wild logo is a bear head though, not to mention our most successful franchise the Lynx is a wild cat.

OK, have always hated the Wild logo but admit I never knew it was a bear head. That said, I still don't like it (too much going on) but hate it a little less now. 

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:
3 hours ago, NicDB said:

Sorry, I don't see that as better. Wildcats has such a college/high school feel to it 

Ĉu? (As one says in Esperanto when one wishes to express incredulity.)

Eagles, Tigers, Cowboys, Cardinals, Falcons, Panthers. All these are high school / college names, and this in no way precludes them from being used by pro teams.

It's almost as though whoever named the Wild thought "How can we have a nickname that's even stupider than a singular noun? I know! Let's use an adjective!"

They then presumably went through several possibilities:

the Minnesota Indifferent

the Minnesota Phlegmatic

the Minnesota Perfunctory

...until one genius stood up and suggested that they flip the whole thing around: the Minnesota Wild!

It's a good thing the meeting ended there. If not, they could have gone to the next level of stupid, and started considering adverbs. Then we might have had the Minnesota Hencefoth or the Minnesota Very.

Anyway, they don't belong on the list because their uniforms are not so great. Their colours are really nice; but that logo is a mess.

By contrast, the Vegas Golden Knights are the team that defines this category.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

<MOD EDIT>

Again, another reminder of the CCSLC Official Guidelines:

4. No Discussion of Native American Team Name Controversies

This topic, like various political topics, often devolves into name calling, straw man construction, and other assorted "tactics" not suitable in intelligent, mutually respectable debate.

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

What team has ever change their name, but kept everything else?  If the name changes, even to something similar, you would have to change the logo, which is a bear head.  While the name is not exactly the greatest, the alternatives that were considered weren't exactly winners, either.

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

<MOD EDIT>

<MOD EDIT>

Again another reminder of the CCSLC Official Guidelines:

4. No Discussion of Native American Team Name Controversies

This topic, like various political topics, often devolves into name calling, straw man construction, and other assorted "tactics" not suitable in intelligent, mutually respectable debate.

Archived