College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

1 hour ago, willmorris said:

I still see it as Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. Unfortunately, Notre Dame has done nothing today to show that they belong in the playoff and I think it's going to be a case of out of sight, out of mind.

I’m curious as to why you think two 1-loss teams should get in over undefeated Notre Dame?

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go with:

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Notre Dame

Notre Dame has a better case than Ohio State.  Sure, Ohio State had the extra game and had they played a better team or not struggled against a mediocre Northwestern team, that might be a difference maker.  I would punish Notre Dame for no conference (and thus, no conference championship game) with the 4 seed and a beatdown at the hands of Alabama.

Also, apparently there are people who still think Georgia has a case?  Georgia attempting to gain 11 yards with their punt team against Alabama's defense is of the dumbest coaching decisions I've seen.  The way Georgia has recruited under Smart has me nervous, but I haven't seen all that much from Kirby himself that makes me think he's a particularly good coach.

IUe6Hvh.png

25 minutes ago, See Red said:

I'd go with:

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Notre Dame

Notre Dame has a better case than Ohio State.  Sure, Ohio State had the extra game and had they played a better team or not struggled against a mediocre Northwestern team, that might be a difference maker.  I would punish Notre Dame for no conference (and thus, no conference championship game) with the 4 seed and a beatdown at the hands of Alabama.

Also, apparently there are people who still think Georgia has a case?  Georgia attempting to gain 11 yards with their punt team against Alabama's defense is of the dumbest coaching decisions I've seen.  The way Georgia has recruited under Smart has me nervous, but I haven't seen all that much from Kirby himself that makes me think he's a particularly good coach.

I would flip Notre Dame and Oklahoma. The extra game off shouldn't count against them and I like the matchups for the semi-finals more than Alabama vs Notre Dame and Clemson vs Oklahoma. I think they would both become blowouts.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, See Red said:

Herbstreit and Tebow are trying to make the case for Georgia.

I'm starting to think they might find their way in. 🤮

If they manage to put them in they better play Bama again. Realistically, they should be happy they'll be playing on New Years Day.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Alabama football makes Duke basketball seem likeable.

The fact Nick Saban is lobbying for the team he just beat to make the playoffs proves leaving it to a committee isn't the best way to do things. I'd almost wish teh BCS computers just spit out the list. At least they accounted for a team's W-L totals. 

22 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Rob Mullins back himself in a corner on Tuesday.

Here's the Tuesday conference call transcript.

Who is in the room from the SEC, and would they have to leave the room if Georgia is discussed or only if they were from Georgia? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

All season the broadcasters and commentators of college football somewhat contradict themselves by saying “the best four teams in the country” then some say “the best four teams tight now” as the season closes and conference champions are crowned. I’m fairly confident it confuses people, because those are two different eye-test factors.

Does the committee weigh the decision more into the four best teams of the country based on the entitety of the season or do the base it on the four best teams each given week.

The committee can say whatever they want, I make the conclusion based on what they do. In that transcript its said they look at games week to week, which tells me its weighted more on “what are you doing now?”. It was evident in the Buckeye’s jump from 10-6. To me the issue arises when a team like Michigan gives up 62 points in agame, the comittee only drops the three spots because their losses were to current #3 Notre Dame and current #6 Ohio State. That to me shows they are basing Michigan’s standing on the seaon, but it doesnt seem that it’s that way for all top 25 teams. I really think the committee basesome teams on their season as an overall and others as what are they doing now.

While the BCS I think unfairly favored certain power conferences, the lack of public knowledge of how the committee operates is more a detriment. 

No system will be perfect and just spitballing here, but I think a weighted system of 1/3 Coaches, 1/3 Committee and 1/3 BCS type computers to determine the final four or even six team (no more than six) would be better. Of course many people that a human committee would be better, so who knows. 

It's almost as if the problem with the BCS wasn't the selection process itself but the fact that the BCS didn't have a playoff accompanying it...

I mean, really. I hope I said something like that 4-5 years ago, too. I don't know if I did, but I'm sure I felt that way at the time as well. 

And I know me being a Florida fan is going to make this seem a little bit biased; trust me, it's not meant to be, but this sudden campaign about getting Georgia in the field because, I dunno, they had such a powerful loss yesterday? Look, you guys - yesterday was Georgia's platform. They were in with a win, and they were playing a team that was going to be in the playoff win or lose because of how dominant they had been this entire season. They put up a strong fight. They showed the level of talent they have. But, you know, they weren't good enough to win the game. There's no shame in that, in the sense that Alabama really is that good, but that was their platform to put themselves in and, ultimately, they weren't good enough. 

We have a real crisis here. Are we going for who we think the four best teams in the country are, or who the four most deserving teams in the country are? Those aren't the same question, and they won't have the same answers. One has a more objective reality to it, while the other is much more subjective. The point of this whole "committee" rubbish is to be objective, right? If we're allowing ourselves to be talked out of a 1-loss conference champion because a 2-loss conference non-champion put up such a good fight with the team that beat them in their conference championship game, then I demand the immediate dissolution of the committee. We already know they have no, for lack of better term, "jurisprudence" to speak of as it is; their convictions change with the direction the wind blows in, but that would be the moment it turns into a complete farce. Conference championships would be useless. Overall team performances and accolades for this season would be useless. It would be completely about a subjective campaign of "who are the four best teams, accomplishments be damned". And if that's the case, this whole committee can be damned. Georgia had their case yesterday; they didn't win it. Enough. Enjoy the Sugar Bowl, 'Dawgs, get GTFO of playoff chatter.

spacer.png

It’s absurd to push for UGA to get in the playoffs, much less moving them up a spot after a loss. That is manufacturing a rematch in the national championship game and SEC championship game. Everyone gripes about NDs schedule, but honestly, in a normal season, that’s not that bad of a schedule. They can’t help that a few teams were having a down year. Talking heads all week said UGA had to win to get in, or would get in in both OSU and OU lost... well guess what, neither did, and UGA lost. Sorry, that was your shot. 

If they are in, much less in at a 3 seed to try and guarantee a rematch In the finals, then I’m not watching one minute of the 3 SEC invitational games. 

11 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Hate to burst this bubble of self loathing here, but Notre Dame is in. They're 12-0 on the season. The only way they would of be knocked out of this picture is if all hell breaks loose... which didn't happen.

Just stop with the shenanigans and prepare for the Orange Bowl or the Cotton Bowl.

Image result for futurama robot hell gif

so long and thanks for all the fish.

I really don’t see Georgia, a 2 loss non conference champion, getting into the playoffs. If they did, I believe this system of determining a national college champion would collapse like a house of cards.

I must point out before throwing my two cents into the discussion. I am a fairly new but interested follower of college football, who discovered the sport through these boards. I have no way of seeing live games, my way of following is highlights and discussion vids on YouTube, and the back and forth on these boards! So I am by no means an expert.

The problem I have with this method is the very inconsistent, and at times frankly baffling way the committee rank and select teams. If it is simply the 4 best teams go through, then to me it seems pretty clear Georgia are the 3rd best team in America, but as has already been said, they had their ‘win and in’ shot against Alabama, and fell short again.

If its 4 most deserving, then for me Oklahoma is a clear 4th over Ohio State, as their only loss was a close game to Texas, who they then beat in the championship game. 

For my money, the top 4 is clearly-

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Notre Dame

4. Oklahoma 

But apparently in the past, both Alabama and Ohio State have managed to sneak into the playoffs through the back door. That is the problem with a committee, you don’t know what biases or influence are at play. No doubt one group of fans will be delighted, others will be outraged.

The last few pages of this thread just show how stupid college football is, and how the "playoff" didn't accomplish anything.  

What needs to happen - and take it from me, I watched one game this year - is for the "FBS" to be reduced to only the conferences that matter. THat a school like UCF or USF or whatever they are can go two seasons without losing a game but not even be in the discussion is ridiculous and shows that their league means nothing.  Just take it out of the picture.

Split these huge conferences up and make more, so some of the divisions just become treated like leagues, and have the playoff be the champions of all the leagues / divisions.  Problem solved.  College football has the biggest barrier to entry for any small school (in terms of becoming relevant, since you pretty much need to be in a major conference, and it's not like there's openings all the time) so stop pretending that these other schools matter and just get rid of them.

Have a second division with all the former FBS leagues, and figure out how to run that.  It doesn't really matter anyway,  Then FCS becomes the third division, and everything after that becomes a spot lower.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived