College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

Troy and Arkansas State both getting votes. Might be the first time that two Sun Belt teams have received votes in the preseason poll. Considering the recent history of expectations at both of those schools, they'll probably both miss out on bowls or something stupid. 

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2018/19 season is just around the corner, and im about as excited as one could be. I wanted to create this thread as a more specific place to discuss Big 12 football and how the teams are looking, who could win the conference, etc. Feel free to give your B12 winner prediction and your favorite team!

I root for the Oklahoma Sooners

The Big 12 winner this year will be the Texas Longhorns

fiowXOD.png

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article217092240.html

So a South Carolina busisnessman released USC and Clemson football calenders. Problem is it's the USC that plays in Los Angeles and not Columbia. This makes me ask the question, could the Gamecocks do better with the Trojans schedule?

Game 1: UNLV

W - It's still UNLV and South Carolina's defense should be able to beat up on the Rebels. 

Game 2: @ Stanford

L - Even though SEC defenses play decently against the run, Stanford'd bread and butter is Bryce Love. He's also the dinner roll and croissant.

Game 3: @ Texas

W - If Texas is still flipping a coin to decide who's QB this week, Carolina will win this easily. If not, it'll take a little bit of work.

Game 4: Washington State

W - Luke Falk is no longer there and Washington State's QB depth is lacking.

Game 5: @ Arizona

L - Mobile quarterbacks with decent arms tend to get the best of South Carolina.

Game 6: Colorado

W - Colorado will be lucky to get 5 wins this year, I believe.

Game 7: @ Utah

L - Utah could be in the running for the Pac-12 South title.

Game 8: Arizona State

W-It's a new offensive and defensive system that should be improved by now, could still be a loss but that depends on how much pressure ASU gets.

Game 9: @ Oregon State

W - It's Oregon State.

Game 10: Califronia

L - Ross Bower and an improved offensive line should get the win. If this were Week 1 I'd have said South Carolina.

Game 11: @UCLA

W - New regime and a much less accurate QB than Rosen means UCLA should be happy witha  6-6 season

Game 12: Notre Dame

L - Notre Dame's not as good defensively than Clemson, but they're good enough to win against South Carolina if the offense doesn't shoot itself in the foot.

In my opinion Southern California would go 11-1, 9-3 at worst. South Carolina goes 7-5 here, though you could argue they'd be a good choice to go 8-4.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Urban Meyer suspended for first three games (v. Oregon State, v. Rutgers, @ TCU)

Should've been fired. This is the equivalent of when they suspend players for a quarter. To think of what Jim Tressel got fired for vs. what Urban is being allowed to stay for. I love college football, but it can be a real joke with these things.

And the AD Gene Smith suspended for 17 days. Big whoop. He should be just as fired as Meyer.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There's a lot of dislike of the NFL, but college football tribalism is truly worse.

"(Insert nickname here) Nation!".....Yuk.

As Yahoo's Dan Wetzel wrote, "So far Ohio State administrators have apologized three times to "Buckeye Nation" and zero times to Courtney Smith or her children."

Then Twitter took over: https://mobile.twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/1032441336421593091

And is just one of hundreds of posts following the press conference. Every other national sports columnist or NCAA football writer has a feed full of similar $hit.

57 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

There's a lot of dislike of the NFL, but college football tribalism is truly worse.

"(Insert nickname here) Nation!".....Yuk.

As Yahoo's Dan Wetzel wrote, "So far Ohio State administrators have apologized three times to "Buckeye Nation" and zero times to Courtney Smith or her children."

The conditions to create phenomena akin to “Paterno Trutherism” exist in every college football fanbase. It just varies depending on the nature of the crimes.

Some areas are worse than others. Imagine if something like this happened at Texas A&M. ?

These things are a bleak reminder that football’s popularity and profitability has warped where decency and humanity fall in the overall ranking of things.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 games?? That's pretty much a slap on the wrist here... I like to think that if Ohio State wasn't winning as much as they are now under Urban Meyer, he would of been fired today.

It also proves that winning is the ultimate deodorant. When your team wins, no one cares about the cracks that are starting to show... when you start to lose, then those cracks I mentioned become fault lines that could trigger a seismic change.

19 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

It also proves that winning is the ultimate deodorant. When your team wins, no one cares about the cracks that are starting to show... when you start to lose, then those cracks I mentioned become fault lines that could trigger a seismic change.

How sad it is that we've gotten to a point where sports have become so all-encompassing that a man should be seen as a god by his devoted followers because they keep winning.

LvZYtbZ.png

7 hours ago, willmorris said:

How sad it is that we've gotten to a point where sports have become so all-encompassing that a man should be seen as a god by his devoted followers because they keep winning.

It is, in a way. Coaches like Meyer aren't gods, they're men... and man is fallible.

13 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Urban Meyer suspended for first three games (v. Oregon State, v. Rutgers, @ TCU)

Should've been fired. This is the equivalent of when they suspend players for a quarter. To think of what Jim Tressel got fired for vs. what Urban is being allowed to stay for. I love college football, but it can be a real joke with these things.

And the AD Gene Smith suspended for 17 days. Big whoop. He should be just as fired as Meyer.

I think the only reason he wasn't fired is because at some point he reported the incidents up and that was prior to July 24th. The investigation committee stated that he did the right thing in reporting to Gene Smith, but that they did not inform NCAA Compliance office at Ohio State and that needed to happen as well. 

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

To expect Urban Meyer to be diplomatic when he's never shown that to be part of his character? He's probably bitter at the 3 game suspension and we expect him to be the most pleasant person in the room. If I think a ruling is unfair to me, I'm probably going to be a bit of a d!@k. Should he have had something prepared saying he feels for the family though? Yes, he should have. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

40 minutes ago, GFB said:

As a Michigan fan, that feeling when all your rival schools prove they are actually awful:

main_2x.jpg

It's over, (insert rival school here). 

It's over, Ohio State... I have the high ground.

53 minutes ago, GFB said:

As a Michigan fan, that feeling when all your rival schools prove they are actually awful:

main_2x.jpg

It's over, (insert rival school here). 

So we hope that Ohio State to become the dumpster fire that they are bound to be?

Archived