MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

On 2/4/2021 at 8:38 AM, sportsfan7 said:

Any ideas on what the names of the Triplets' Minny and Paul would be? I'm thinking Winston for one, but can't seem to come up with anything for the other two (Greeny? High-ssac?).

Winston-Salem = could be Winston, but I like Winnie, to rhyme with/honor Minnie

High Point = could be Tom, but Thomasville is it's own entity. However, the historical nickname of minor league teams was the Hi-Toms. I could also see it be something like Hip

Greensboro = Nate or Nathan, to honor Gen. Nathanael Greene, who the city is named after

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/3/2021 at 4:23 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks for the heads-up, I bought myself the white front-panel hat!

A couple thoughts:

Given that Hat Club has done some “What if?” ideas, such as the Toronto Giants and Washington Stars (relocated Padres), would you ever consider working with them on some of these concepts?

It also looks like you’re not going to get to the potential “Twins-to-Salt Lake” concept, as you’re looking to soon wrap up the series.

Both are understandable if negative on both of those, given that we all have a life outside of these forums.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

On 2/3/2021 at 5:38 PM, sportsfan7 said:

Any ideas on what the names of the Triplets' Minny and Paul would be? I'm thinking Winston for one, but can't seem to come up with anything for the other two (Greeny? High-ssac?).

On 2/7/2021 at 6:22 AM, BigRed75 said:

Winston-Salem = could be Winston, but I like Winnie, to rhyme with/honor Minnie

High Point = could be Tom, but Thomasville is it's own entity. However, the historical nickname of minor league teams was the Hi-Toms. I could also see it be something like Hip

Greensboro = Nate or Nathan, to honor Gen. Nathanael Greene, who the city is named after

On 2/4/2021 at 7:17 AM, QCS said:

One would definitely be Winston, it's possible that the one for High Point would be Tom (Thomasville is right by HP) but I've got nothing for Greensboro.

BigRed gave the best answer, IMHO.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:17 AM, QCS said:

The design looks nice, it's adapted well, just not for me. A little too bland in my opinion, there's not a lot of character there (not really through any fault of your own). I do really like the C and Triplets script, however.

Thanks!

On 2/4/2021 at 9:03 AM, raysox said:

I got such a kick out of this, naming the Twins the Triplets is so funny to me. I think the only gripe I really have is the negative space between the letters in Triplets that is much bigger than the ones on the Twins. I think this comes down to the not-exactly-vertical lines on the  i p and l, and the wavy line on the lowercase t. I'd tighten those up and think it'd look a little better. Also I wonder what an NC lockup would look like!

Thanks! I've tightened up the wordmark as a result. I think it looks better and I've updated the original post accordingly.

AwbJ0PS.png

I now want to tweak my '87-'09 Twins-styled SeNationaltors concepts now. I didn't even use a real arching function to make those wordmarks!

On 2/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

LMAO he went with my idea of a Carolina Triplets.

Thanks and I'm sorry that I didn't see your post about the name. Heck, I'd argue Triplets woks in both Raleigh and Horneytown.

3 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

A couple thoughts:

Given that Hat Club has done some “What if?” ideas, such as the Toronto Giants and Washington Stars (relocated Padres), would you ever consider working with them on some of these concepts?

It also looks like you’re not going to get to the potential “Twins-to-Salt Lake” concept, as you’re looking to soon wrap up the series.

Both are understandable if negative on both of those, given that we all have a life outside of these forums.

Thanks! I'd really like to work with Hat Club for this "What if?" stuff, but I'm sure they have their own team of artists doing these digitizations and embroidering of prototype designs. I would definitely love the opportunity, though.

Also, the Twins-to-SLC is still happening. I'm just trying to think about a way to make it work for the region. It'll either be renaming them as the Bees (with Twins touches) or something that references a twin something in Utah.

14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, the Twins-to-SLC is still happening. I'm just trying to think about a way to make it work for the region. It'll either be renaming them as the Bees (with Twins touches) or something that references a twin something in Utah

As we've seen with the Jazz, the Twins name might not need reason. Something about the Utah Jazz and Utah Twins somehow works. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

MIAMI GATORS (fictional former Cleveland Indians) - You can still bet on the Cubbies!

I'll issue a spoiler warning for a pair of 31-year-old movies. If you don't like spoilers, watch the cited movies or skip to the concept.

While Cleveland had a close call with relocation in the mid-'60s, 1989 would prove to be the final straw. New owner Rachel Phelps (the trophy wife of her deceased husband) set about attempting to move the team to Miami. Using an attendance clause in the team's lease and intentionally-poor performance, she tried to get attendance under 800,000.[1] While this effort failed in the main timeline, the "Biff Tannen gets the almanac" timeline created a diversion. In that history, Phelps succeeded and completed the relocation for the 1990 season. The club, now known as the Miami Gators, remained in occasional contention throughout the '90s and early '00s. The 1997 and 2007 teams, in particular, caused a stir for the rest of the AL. They even made the World Series in 2015, heartbreakingly losing to the Chicago Cubs.[2] The Gators have gone through a rebuilding period as of late, letting stars walk for little in return. At least they're not in Cleveland or the Indians anymore! Marty McFly burning the almanac voided this timeline, but what if he hadn't?

Going off of just Back to the Future II, the Miami Gators' identity looked something like this:

0eb9d2c39aac57d7a3ab6c4d0f2fc60d.png latest?cb=20151021152804&f=1&nofb=1

I didn't want to do a direct riff on this fan rendering/screengrab, so I set about incorporating the design language of a semi-fictional team that almost moved to Miami, Major League's Cleveland AL. Using the '95-'01 and '48 Cleveland clubs as design inspiration, I set about creating scripts and wordmarks for the uniform package. Navy and red are out, replaced by the aqua and orange of the Dolphins.

The primary logo uses art deco/art nouveau influences. The shape itself references this image of a walking alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) and this mouth-open picture. The secondary is the "M" cap logo, using the Belgrad font (my "Miami font"), while the tertiary is the primary in a text roundel.

FjCBeeT.png

Uniforms feature a cursive "Gators" script (using modified FenwayParkJF, my favorite cursive font) and a Belgrad "MIAMI" wordmark. The primary is on the sleeves, while the striping takes influence from the '48 Cleveland jerseys.

iOu19Jo.png

The alternates include an orange and an aqua shirt.

NS8muuM.png

The second set of alts include an all-orange gear version of the home uniform and a "Miami-fied" version of the 1989-93 Cleveland racing stripe design. I even incorporated the head of the movie gator on the sleeve as an homage to Little Red Sambo.

qj5tCXu.png

The jackets are pretty simple fare, with orange sleeves on the primary and the full-bodied gator/"MIAMI" wordmark on the throwback.

dDlKnDJ.png9izUpJw.png

For those wondering, I even have a reclamation/modernization of the movie gator!

7sMuoP6.png

As seen with the Rainiers before them, the Cleveland design formula works well when applied to multiple clubs.

Up next, the big attempted relocation that's torn one fanbase apart.

1 David S. Ward, Major League, Comedy, Sport (Mirage Enterprises,  Morgan Creek Entertainment, 1989).

2 Robert Zemeckis, Back to the Future Part II, Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi (Universal Pictures,  Amblin Entertainment,  U-Drive Productions, 1989).

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - Miami Gators (fictional) Added
29 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

MIAMI GATORS (fictional former Cleveland Indians) - You can still bet on the Cubbies!

qj5tCXu.png

9izUpJw.png

spacer.png

You have knocked it out of the space/time continuum, my friend!!

I seriously need these heritage items in my life. Get HatClub to make the hat, and some Chinese knockoff on Wish to make the jersey and jacket. Shut up and take my money!! 

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I've often wondered what MLB uniforms would look like in the fictional timeline of BTTF Part II. Nearly every other aspect of fashion went off the rails in that film, so I'd have to believe that baseball uniforms would have been no exception...

On 2/27/2021 at 7:02 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Ok... I’m going to break one of my rules, or at least be the individual that I don’t want to be. I’m going to make a request without making a request...

So, imagine if you will... WHAT IF (also know as, hey I have a request) the Miami Gators were inspired to create a fauxback of Cleveland’s “caveman” era set? Would the cap logo be a G in the style of the Cleveland C? Would they go all aqua or all orange? Would the gator be in a funky batting pose, similar to the chief on the sleeve patch? So many questions!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

On 2/27/2021 at 8:02 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Up next, the big attempted relocation that's torn one fanbase apart.

Such an awesome melding of fictional teams (and universes)!

I can bet that the next relocation is the Tampa Bay/Montreal Rays?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• 2 months later...

Archived