MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! I'm not sure how the "P" would look on that logo, given that "P" isn't a particularly symmetrical letter.

It wouldn't work, it would just have to be a normal steering wheel all the way around, but it would still be a nice supportive secondary for a team that's high on scripts and low on logos.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Tampa Bay Pirates look great! I don’t really have much to add other than it made me realize how similar the Pirates’ and Giants’ logos are.

I also love the Tarpons! It’d be a huge shame for my Twins, but the logos, colors, and uniforms are all great. The light blue pinstripes are also a definite improvement. I’m looking forward to seeing a red/orange version, I was going to suggest such a thing.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 8:29 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks, and thank you for turning me onto that script!

Thanks! I'm not sure how the "P" would look on that logo, given that "P" isn't a particularly symmetrical letter. I'm glad the number font has been as liked as it has, and I'm probably going to place it on the other concepts.

The Tampa Bay Giants will feature something different for the interlocking logo, preferably something akin to the Rays' design.

Thanks. Part of the design strategy included making it fit on the wheel design.

Thank you, and you'd be right.

Thanks!

Thanks. Baseball in Tampa Bay is surprisingly akin to Third Impact, with many forces trying to both ensure and prevent it. 

Anyway, it's Tarpon Time!

TAMPA BAY TARPONS (former Minnesota Twins) - Cool Color Classic

Tampa Bay Sweepstakes Intro

The second franchise in the lineup was the Minnesota Twins. By 1984, things had gone south for the Twins' owner/racist :censored: Calvin Griffith. His petulant desire to not adapt to the new economics of baseball (e.g., not playing along with free agency and salary arbitration, which led to the Rod Carew trade) saw the team fall into mediocrity and putrify. Once the '80s rolled around, Minnesota competitively fell off a cliff (with 41-68, 60-102, and 70-92 finishes from '81-'83). Even though the team found new digs at the Metrodome, attendance fell with the team's fortunes, with the team drawing 921,186 in '82 and 858,939 in '83. Owing to a clause in the team's lease, the Twins could leave Minnesota if they averaged fewer than 1.4 million fans per season over a course of three years.1

Eager to test this opportunity, Frank Morsani and the Tampa Bay Baseball Group bought the 42% minority stake of H. Gabriel Murphy, with plans to purchase the majority from Griffith when the time came (hoping to move to their new Tampa stadium by the 1986 season). The sale did not get off to the best of starts, with Griffith wavering on whether or not he wanted to sell the team in full. Unfortunately for the TBBG, Earle Halstead Jr. (an associate of Griffith), leaked the sale details to the press after a tiff with the buyers. A PR nightmare ensued, one which saw Minnesota businessman Harvey Mackay implement a ticket buyout to deactivate the escape clause. The Griffith family would sell their shares to Carl Pohlad, who would also get the 42% from the TBBG. He received this portion after commissioner Bowie Kuhn pressured Morsani and Morsani's partner Bill Mack with implied legal action and loss of a potential expansion team if the group persisted in Minnesota.2

Even then, the Twins weren't done in the sweepstakes. Pohlad wanted to buy the Vikings in 1987, but due to NFL cross-ownership regulations, he'd have to sell the Twins. He called up Morsani again, but talks broke down due to various stipulations in Morsani's desired contract (e.g., Pohlad would support relocation, no deal if relocation was denied, etc.).3 

TL;DR: "General" Bud Conroy as Halstead leaking the deal, Gritty's dad as Mackay/Polhad putting up the cash, and lil' Obi describing the 1987 relocation attempt.

dwtnDDR.gifgiphy.giftumblr_p4yfe8jdZE1v4vejdo3_540.gif

However, what if either deal went through, and the Twins moved to Tampa? How would their identity change with the new scenery?

Simply put, the name has to go. There are more than two big cities in the Tampa Bay area (e.g., Tampa, St. Petersburg, Ybor City, etc.), so the nickname of "Twins" is out. I opted to go with a name that also started with "t" and had a historical appeal to the area. I opted for the name Tarpons, after one of the longest-lasting minor-league teams in the region. The Tampa group's desire to buy the Twins also makes the name work, as they were building on the Tarpons' old stadium (Al Lopez Field).

Navy/red would fall to the wayside as well, seeing as how new owners might want to put a local stamp on the identity. Heck, a period article stated that the team would have a "red, orange, and white uniform."4 While the creamsicle look is fine by me (@oldschoolvikings has made a fantastic modernization  of the uniforms, while @Buc and @turbo72577 produced strong updates of Bucco Bruce) I figured that the team would want to develop their own region-appropriate color scheme. Said color scheme is the Tulane classic of Forrest Green/Sky Blue, which I used for my Stingrays concept and for a Twins concept (albeit a darker shade of green).

Much like the Twins' Minnie and Paul, the Tarpons draw upon vintage logos for their identity. Said logos come from the uniforms and programs of the minor league Tarpons, capturing a happy fish wearing a cap and wielding a bat. Here is a comparison with his ancestors:

or82Gak.png

This guy appears in a roundel (with seams, anchors, and Rockwell Condensed text) for the primary and on his own for the tertiary. I've used my modernized Twins script to form the "T" for the "TB" secondary/cap logo.

Zp7bfq5.png

The home and road set plays a lot like my Twins and Sens/Nats concept, with the same striping patterns, script style, and number fonts. The key difference is that I employed powder blue pinstripes on the home uniform instead of green, as I didn't like the way the dark green striping meshed with the white outline. It's a bit easier on the eyes.

Ar9JQ80.png

The alternates make full use out of the color scheme, with the sky blue top featuring its own blue-billed cap and unpinstriped pants.

rZIqI4q.png

The second set of alternates go for the fauxback approach, with the 1980s one being a "Tarpon-ification" of the Twins' 1976-86 home uniform (with sky blue replacing red and sock stripes that emulate the '48-'60 Sens/Nats) and an "update" of the 1961 Tarpons' home uniforms with the new logos and typefaces (akin to what I did on the TB Stingrays).

WEl6od1.png

The jackets use similar techniques to both my Twins and Stingrays jackets, making full use of the color scheme with their striping patterns and color blocking. 

pAn0TlL.png oSubTxZ.png

The Twins' name provided me with an opportunity to flex my creative muscles a bit more, modernizing one of my favorite identities in vintage minor-league baseball and allowing me to work with two of my favorite colors (dark green and light blue). I'll do a orange/red/white redeco once I get to updates. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, a familiar face returns!

Bob Andelman and Lori Parsells, Stadium For Rent: Tampa Bay’s Quest for Major League Baseball, 2nd edition (St. Petersburg: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015), 38-41; Kevin Hennessy, “Calvin Griffith | Society for American Baseball Research,” Society for American Baseball Research, accessed November 21, 2018, https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/5c118751; “Minnesota Twins Team History & Encyclopedia | Baseball-Reference.Com,” accessed November 21, 2018, https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/.

2 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 41-46; Hennessy, "Calvin Griffith | Society for American Baseball Research."

3 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 50.

4 Anders Gyllenhaal, “Tampa, St. Pete Slug It out for a Baseball Franchise,” The Miami Herald, July 18, 1983, sec. Front.

This is a great take on not only the relocated Twins, but also a modernization of the minor-league Tarpons and a retreaux-ish take on the Devil Rays! I love the green/light blue color scheme as well!

As extensive and oftentimes obscure as some of the teams in this thread have been (I never knew that the A’s were looking at Dallas or San Diego, for instance), there’s another, very-briefly-considered (I think temporary) move considered: Around 1998-99 or so, the Twins were looking to to effectively swap places with their top affiliate, then the Salt Lake Buzz (now the Bees), while they either renovated the Metrodome or built a new stadium. What this likely meant was that the MLB Twins franchise would move to Utah for about two seasons and take upon them the Buzz name while the AAA Salt Lake franchise moved to play at a smaller ballpark in the Twin Cities. I remember seeing this on a local Salt Lake-based sports show with “Minnesota” in the Twins logo crossed out with “Utah?” above it while the sportscaster who reported on it described the two-year swap situation. I even asked the same broadcaster via Twitter who I recall talking about it, but even he couldn’t remember anything. Another rumor was that then-owner of the Utah Jazz, Larry H. Miller, was considering buying the Twins and moving them to Salt Lake around that time (probably naming them the Bees as he didn’t own the franchise then). Maybe there was some truth to both rumors, and it is very obscure (I can’t find anything online about it, but I clearly remember the Utah? Minnesota Twins logo and the report on the proposed two-year swap even when I saw it almost 20 years ago)...

I totally understand if there’s not enough meat to this potential relocation to warrant a concept about it, but I think it’d be awesome to see how the uniforms could’ve turned out had such an odd situation happened (after the Tampa sweepstakes and whatever you have planned for the rest of the series, of course).

Edited by DustDevil61
almost 20 years ago, strikethrough, word cleanup
  • Like 5

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

On 11/21/2018 at 9:57 AM, Discrimihater said:

Nice set, though you might wanna double check the fauxback jacket ;) 

Thanks! This is what happens when your clipboard fills with links and you don't double-check. I fixed it.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:13 AM, Paul Lucas said:

Man, this is beautiful!! Great work...especially with the mascot.

Would love to have seen a modern version of the ‘T’ 

https://goo.gl/images/aG1bmu

P.S. This is the exact color scheme the Rays should switch to. 

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I'm planning incorporating the "T" into a throwback for when the Rangers move.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:13 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Judging by the relocation dates, 1986 or 1988, good news for the Tarpons. You'd win the World Series in your first year in Tampa (against St. Louis in 1987), or against Atlanta in 1991.

Good news for Tampa Bay, bad news for Minnesota.

I'd agree with that assessment, to a point. While I'm sure the team may have kept up steam to win in 1987 (provided they aren't realigned into the AL East), I don't think Morsani's group would have been able to assemble the same kind of team that Pohlad did. The same applies to the 1991 team, although a later relocation date would have led the TBBG towards keeping those players around for '91. Bad news for Minnesota either way, especially if Norm Green still moved the North Stars.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, the admiral said:

It wouldn't work, it would just have to be a normal steering wheel all the way around, but it would still be a nice supportive secondary for a team that's high on scripts and low on logos.

Oh, I agree. While I stand by my Pittsburgh crest primary, I still wish I had thought of the ship wheel earlier (since neither the Raiders nor Bucs do it).

On 11/21/2018 at 5:12 PM, MJD7 said:

The Tampa Bay Pirates look great! I don’t really have much to add other than it made me realize how similar the Pirates’ and Giants’ logos are.

I also love the Tarpons! It’d be a huge shame for my Twins, but the logos, colors, and uniforms are all great. The light blue pinstripes are also a definite improvement. I’m looking forward to seeing a red/orange version, I was going to suggest such a thing.

Thanks!

On 11/21/2018 at 5:53 PM, coco1997 said:

The Tarpons look beautiful. Perfect Sunshine State take on the Twins.

Crossing my fingers the Tampa Bay White Sox are next..?

Thanks, and it'll be the one after the next. Be prepared for a color scheme that "Florida-ifies" the pre-1990 look and embraces "local" fonts.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:05 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Kinda want to see what this looks like in the current Tampa Tarpons colors, or navy and red, the twins colors, for somebody reason I feel like that would suit better. The green doesn’t seem right imo

Thanks. I get where you're coming from, and I'll mock up navy/red with red/orange in later updates.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:52 PM, appleclock said:

If the Tarpons had happened as you’ve described, you almost have to assume a very different look for Miami’s expansion team in 93. Probably wouldn’t have even been called the Marlins at all due to the similarities. Interesting!

Oh yes! Stadium for Rent explained how they could have been the "Florida Panthers" or "South Florida Flamingos." Miami-centric names would also have popped up, but I'm not sure what they'd have done. Manatees or Pelicans, maybe?

On 11/23/2018 at 11:48 AM, DustDevil61 said:

This is a great take on not only the relocated Twins, but also a modernization of the minor-league Tarpons and a retreaux-ish take on the Devil Rays! I love the green/light blue color scheme as well!

As extensive and oftentimes obscure as some of the teams in this thread have been (I never knew that the A’s were looking at Dallas or San Diego, for instance), there’s another, very-briefly-considered (I think temporary) move considered: Around 1998-99 or so, the Twins were looking to to effectively swap places with their top affiliate, then the Salt Lake Buzz (now the Bees), while they either renovated the Metrodome or built a new stadium. What this likely meant was that the MLB Twins franchise would move to Utah for about two seasons and take upon them the Buzz name while the AAA Salt Lake franchise moved to play at a smaller ballpark in the Twin Cities. I remember seeing this on a local Salt Lake-based sports show with “Minnesota” in the Twins logo crossed out with “Utah?” above it while the sportscaster who reported on it described the two-year swap situation. I even asked the same broadcaster via Twitter who I recall talking about it, but even he couldn’t remember anything. Another rumor was that then-owner of the Utah Jazz, Larry H. Miller, was considering buying the Twins and moving them to Salt Lake around that time (probably naming them the Bees as he didn’t own the franchise then). Maybe there was some truth to both rumors, and it is very obscure (I can’t find anything online about it, but I clearly remember the Utah? Minnesota Twins logo and the report on the proposed two-year swap even when I saw it almost 20 years ago)...

I totally understand if there’s not enough meat to this potential relocation to warrant a concept about it, but I think it’d be awesome to see how the uniforms could’ve turned out had such an odd situation happened (after the Tampa sweepstakes and whatever you have planned for the rest of the series, of course).

Thank you so much! I had no idea about that scenario, which sounds like a pain for the record books. I'll roll that into my Carolina Twins concept.

On 11/23/2018 at 6:34 PM, NicDB said:

You may as well call this concept "What the Devil Rays should have done."  I'm sure you'll have plenty of other adaptions of different clubs to Tampa Bay sensibilities, but I don't see any of them beating this. Well done!

Thanks. I've figured that the current and previous Rays' identities are a nice floor for my designs, especially for the different expansion team. Naimoli and Sternberg could both have done better, either by buying the "Stingrays" trademark or by going with a new name in 2008. 

The next squad should be up shortly!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks, and it'll be the one after the next. Be prepared for a color scheme that "Florida-ifies" the pre-1990 look and embraces "local" fonts.

IIRC in my first post in this thread I suggested a green and orange color scheme for the Florida/Tampa Bay White Sox. Here's hoping you took my suggestion! 

• Like 1

TAMPA BAY ATHLETICS - Palm Tree Pachyderms

Tampa Bay Sweepstakes Intro

A familiar face returns to the lineup! This one is a rather obscure relocation attempt, if only because of how clandestine it was and how quickly it ended. In early 1985, the A's ownership (Walter A. Haas, Jr. and team vice president Roy Eisenhardt) was looking to have upgrades performed on the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum and get a bit of a rent discount. The team was losing about $18 million per year during the first four years of Haas ownership, so such a discount and upgrades would have been a good plan to remain solvent.1

Eisenhardt decided to reach out to Frank Morsani and the Tampa Bay Baseball Group to get a bit of a leverage position, coming to a deal to buy the A's for $37 million. While the team denied the deal, Morsani reported it to the media and let the rumor weave its way around baseball that year.However, Oakland mayor Lionel Wilson stepped in to offer a $10 million loan for upgrades and have a less-expensive 15-year lease. Morsani, not knowing that this had transpired, watched in horror as Eisenhardt announced the new agreement with Oakland. He'd been made baseball's stooge a second time.The A's went on to hire Tony LaRussa months later, starting a dynasty in the East Bay.

TL;DR: Crowley is Morsani and the Winchesters are Eisenhardt/Oakland/Major League Baseball:

uo7ikaD.gif

However, what if the A's didn't back out and went through with the move? How would they adapt to their new spot?

I assumed that the A's would go through a similar "retro restoration" to the one they had in 1987, embracing scripts and the elephant iconography. The Forest Green/Athletic Gold would remain. I opted to use the 1994-2002 Spring Training elephant as the rendering, as the sunglasses gave him a bit of tropical flair. Accompanying him in the primary logo are palm trees and the team insignia (using the "apostrophe-s" from my Seattle variant, rendered in Market Deco). The secondaries include an interlocking "TB," while the lone elephant is the tertiary.

EDIT: After C+C, I've replaced the Old English T with a variant that looks more like a Latin script T. I've got both a comparison and the original here as well.

yfF5jdP.png

The home and road set use a similar style to my San Diego A's concept, with Seren Script as the base font. The stripes are minimal on the jerseys/pants, while the sock pattern is the dual-band look of my Denver A's concept. Yellow-gold front numbers return, to capture the "Florida sun" motif/justify using the yellow-billed cap on the road. The elephant patch is on the sleeves.

EDIT: I've updated the "Tampa Bay" script to reflect the new "T." Here is the initial edition.

1KH9vJq.png

The alternates emphasize the "A's" mark, with outlines being absent on the green jersey.

EDIT: I mended a labeling error. This is the first one.

vVuQ97z.png

The second set of alternates features two throw/fauxbacks. My first uniform is an attempt to Athletics-ify the 1951 Tampa  Smokers' outfit, with two pairs of sunglasses replacing the cigar. The tertiary is on the sleeve, while the all-green cap features a gold interlocking "TB." The second throwback is the 1929/30 throwback from my Louisville A's concept (for extra historical appeal - along with a period-appropriate elephant logo). 

EDIT: The fauxback now has the new "TB" insignia on the cap, while the sunglasses have been exchanged for an inner highlight. Here is the first draft.

mMX2m9s.png

The primary jacket features the "Athletics" script and shoulder stripes, while the 1929/30 royal blue jacket comes back to the set.

EDIT: The primary jacket has been corrected to have the new "TB" cap. Here is the original.

D8PiQVB.png UwxXtDy.png

The A's identity adapts well to the Tampa Bay area. While I'm glad the move didn't happen, the A's would not have had to alter much to fit in their new setting. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, St. Petersburg gets in on the shell game with another charter AL member!

1 Bob Andelman and Lori Parsells, Stadium For Rent: Tampa Bay’s Quest for Major League Baseball, 2nd edition (St. Petersburg, FL: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015, 52-53); Susan Fornoff, “A’s Deny Rumors of Sale but Financial Woes Persist,” The Sacramento Bee, April 25, 1985, sec. Sports; Bud Geracie, “A’s to Stay,” The Mercury News, September 18, 1985, sec. Sports.

2 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 52-53; Geracie, "A's to Stay."

Edited by SFGiants58
Updated to reflect C+C, with errors fixed.
  • Like 5

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - Tampa Bay Athletics Added

While I'm not too big on the scripts (a modernization of that Smokers script would be interesting), the colors seem to fit Tampa Bay surprisingly well. I also like the main sock pattern and the primary logo, those are both great. Looking forward to the next Tampa Bay team!

• Like 1

While I do really like the Tampa Bay A's design here, I personally think the lighter green the A's used to use pre-'82 would fit better with a team based in the Tampa Bay area. Only other nitpick I have is that I can't really get behind the two sets of sunglasses inside the wordmark of the green heritage alt, but outside of those two things I really like this. Can't wait for the rest of the Tampa Bay's!

• Like 2

The ghost of Charlie O. haunts this thread! 😉

This is another solid concept to go with all the other hypothetical A’s relocations. While I like it for the most part, I’m not convinced the Old English “T” reads as one (I think the problem is the round part is too large). Also, any chance the home cap could get a white front panel? Just a small detail that could set this concept apart from the others.  

I’m just really excited the team I’ve been waiting for this entire series is up next!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I have to agree that kelly green would be much more suited for a Florida team.

Not sure how I feel about the sunglasses.  But since that's an official team logo, I can buy that they'd actually have used it.  The glasses on the script seem a bit tacked on though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MJD7 said:

While I'm not too big on the scripts (a modernization of that Smokers script would be interesting), the colors seem to fit Tampa Bay surprisingly well. I also like the main sock pattern and the primary logo, those are both great. Looking forward to the next Tampa Bay team!

Thanks! I can see the issue with the scripts (maybe the tail and the overall thickness), they do exude a "beachiness" that I like for Tampa. 

16 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The ghost of Charlie O. haunts this thread! 😉

This is another solid concept to go with all the other hypothetical A’s relocations. While I like it for the most part, I’m not convinced the Old English “T” reads as one (I think the problem is the round part is too large). Also, any chance the home cap could get a white front panel? Just a small detail that could set this concept apart from the others.  

I’m just really excited the team I’ve been waiting for this entire series is up next!

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Good set for the Tampa Bay Athletics, although it's a little hard to make out the T thanks to the Olde English font, but that's a minor nitpick.

16 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Maybe something like this for the “T?”

alphabet-old-english-capital-clipart__u1

Thanks, guys! I've adjusted the Old English "T" to better resemble the example @coco1997 gave.

nirzURJ.png

It's more of a "T" now, in the Latin script sense.

Also, I'm not a fan of white front-panel caps in general. A white-crowned hat, on the other hand, looks pretty good:

GlPvQrK.png

17 hours ago, RyanB03 said:

While I do really like the Tampa Bay A's design here, I personally think the lighter green the A's used to use pre-'82 would fit better with a team based in the Tampa Bay area. Only other nitpick I have is that I can't really get behind the two sets of sunglasses inside the wordmark of the green heritage alt, but outside of those two things I really like this. Can't wait for the rest of the Tampa Bay's!

15 hours ago, NicDB said:

I have to agree that kelly green would be much more suited for a Florida team.

Not sure how I feel about the sunglasses.  But since that's an official team logo, I can buy that they'd actually have used it.  The glasses on the script seem a bit tacked on though.

Thanks! I can see where you're both coming from with wanting kelly green for a Florida team. However, the team had already switched to Forest Green by the time of a hypothetical Tampa Bay move, and I would argue that Forest Green is a better fit for a Florida team. This could be my exposure to the Hurricanes, Bulls, and 2001-07 Rays talking, but I like the "heft" that dark green brings to the color scheme. Still, kelly also looks fantastic:

33CYI8V.png uddGatx.png

z00nYDX.png gQwJcOR.png

2CmGdAE.png

I like it, but not as much as I like the darker green. I've also adjusted the fauxback script to replace the sunglasses with an inner highlight. The shades just felt a bit too tacked-on to really work.

The next team should be up soon!

• Like 5