MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

Love the look of the Sultanes.

I remember in 2005 that the Marlins were in preliminary talks with Bexar County to explore moving to San Antonio. Is there enough movement there that they'd qualify for the thread? With talks that the Dolphins were going to evict the Marlins from Dolphin Stadium whether shovels were in the ground or not, and the 05-06 fire sale, the Marlins really did seem like they were going down for the count.

http://offthekuff.com/wp/?p=11906

https://tht.fangraphs.com/relocation-as-vaporware/

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0eljuXJeO34J:https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2017/04/13/san-antonio-better-off-now-because-of-the-one-that.html+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It’s hard to believe that more than a decade has passed since San Antonio made a run at the Marlins. Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, long considered San Antonio’s Mr. Baseball, led that effort after it was clear the Alamo City had lost out on an opportunity to keep the NFL’s Saints from returning to New Orleans.

Marlins officials said the right things then.

“My take on San Antonio is that it has what it takes to be a major league city,” Marlins President David Samson told me in December 2005.

Asked if Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria considered San Antonio a serious relocation option for the MLB team, Samson said, “Yes.”

Team management was frustrated with lack of fan support and Florida officials’ inability to deliver a new stadium after years of failed attempts.

“The owner comes in, says they are going to move. There’s no doubt about it,” Wolff said, recalling his discussions with the Marlins about a potential move to San Antonio.

But the team never left South Florida.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/11/2019 at 5:57 PM, SFGiants58 said:

WKpvy00.png

I'm loving this identity.  But I feel like the script and the crown are really what make this set interesting, so the overall identity should focus on that.

I'd "promote" your tertiary logo to the primary with the following tweaks:
-Rotate the ball 90 degrees.
-Empahsize the script front and center by having it in the sweet spot.  
-Have your mountain below the bottom seam
-Put the crown above the top seam.

On 4/11/2019 at 5:57 PM, SFGiants58 said:

uMO7CT1.png

Your hope and road uniforms are perfect as is.  But I think your script loses everything that makes it good when it's recolored for the alts.  And I'd prefer white numbers on the alts.  As they are would be hell on someone who's color blind.

I would make your monogram white for the same reason.  I'd also top the M with the crown instead of the mountain since they're named after royalty and not a geological feature.

As far as the alts themselves... would you try front numbers with just the crown above them?  It'd be a modern spin on a classic style of uniform, and something else unique to the Sultanes.

• Like 3

On 4/11/2019 at 6:44 PM, coco1997 said:

Now THAT is a sharp identity!

Thanks!

On 4/11/2019 at 7:45 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

And now batting for the Monterrey Sultanes, Center Fielder, Number 34, Bryce Harper.

Or, considering this is in Mexico, the PA would be speaking Spanish.

I like the identity and the graphics, but I think this idea would've been doomed from the start. I'm not going to repeat what you said, because you brought up a lot of valid points (location, money, violence, drugs, etc.)

Thanks! I like the bilingual announcements.

I do find it funny when people suggest having a team in Monterrey, ignorant of these issues.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, alexandre said:

The MT logo on the field in Monterrey is trippy, because it reminds me of this hat you see around town here in...Montréal: https://artgangmontreal.com/collections/casquettes/products/artgang-mtl-snapback-dark-navy

Everything about moving the Expos hurts but that Sultanes set is gorgeous. MLB needs a green and red club.

Hmmm...that's an interesting design.

Thanks! Dark green/red would be better than kelly/red, since dark green and red can touch without looking terrible.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:34 AM, BellaSpurs said:

Would be interesting if you took a stab at updating their actual primary logo rather than the roundal. Otherwise it looks great! I love that script.

Thanks! I thought the Sultanes' actual primary logo looked far too messy to use in any capacity, so I went with the roundel route.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:30 AM, nielsoncp said:

I just want to chime in quickly to say that I've lurked on this thread for a while, and have loved both the creativity and the history lesson - as a Milwaukee resident I had no idea about the Cardinals almost relocating. It almost gave me sympathy for them... almost. 

Thanks for all the work you're doing on these concepts - they are works of art. 

Thanks! I like providing a good history lesson with each of these concepts, highlighting lesser-known attempts at relocations and illustrating various obstacles presented by each market. 

On 4/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The Sultanes are just a great idea. The color scheme is vibrant and would look great on the field. 

On 4/12/2019 at 4:23 PM, MJD7 said:

The Expos and Sultanes are both great looks! I love how you divided up the colors in both sets. Wonderful work as always.

Thanks, guys!

On 4/12/2019 at 6:45 PM, Frylock said:

Great work on the Sultanes! I love the pallete, and it's a strong balance of traditional with modern cleanliness. The only thing that's hard for me to unsee, is if I turn the logo 90 degrees to the right, Cerro de la Silla looks like the profile of a face. 😳

Thanks! I totally didn't see the face in the mountain profile, but it's definitely there!

On 4/12/2019 at 7:07 PM, the admiral said:

Love the look of the Sultanes.

I remember in 2005 that the Marlins were in preliminary talks with Bexar County to explore moving to San Antonio. Is there enough movement there that they'd qualify for the thread? With talks that the Dolphins were going to evict the Marlins from Dolphin Stadium whether shovels were in the ground or not, and the 05-06 fire sale, the Marlins really did seem like they were going down for the count.

http://offthekuff.com/wp/?p=11906

https://tht.fangraphs.com/relocation-as-vaporware/

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0eljuXJeO34J:https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2017/04/13/san-antonio-better-off-now-because-of-the-one-that.html+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thanks! The Marlins will be getting their own series, with San Antonio, OKC, and Charlotte vying for the team (my Portland and Las Vegas concepts in the Expos series will cover the Marlins' explorations).

On 4/12/2019 at 9:37 PM, NicDB said:

I'm loving this identity.  But I feel like the script and the crown are really what make this set interesting, so the overall identity should focus on that.

I'd "promote" your tertiary logo to the primary with the following tweaks:
-Rotate the ball 90 degrees.
-Empahsize the script front and center by having it in the sweet spot.  
-Have your mountain below the bottom seam
-Put the crown above the top seam.

Your hope and road uniforms are perfect as is.  But I think your script loses everything that makes it good when it's recolored for the alts.  And I'd prefer white numbers on the alts.  As they are would be hell on someone who's color blind.

I would make your monogram white for the same reason.  I'd also top the M with the crown instead of the mountain since they're named after royalty and not a geological feature.

As far as the alts themselves... would you try front numbers with just the crown above them?  It'd be a modern spin on a classic style of uniform, and something else unique to the Sultanes.

Thanks! I've thought up some revisions to fit in with your ideas for the Sultanes. I think they really improve the design.

CKN8XeC.png

bGhjerZ.png

aBIiSjF.png

s5jwQnx.png

The next entry will be a bit delayed, seeing as how I'm going through some fairly nasty computer issues as of late.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's time to go to the Garden State!

NEW JERSEY STALLIONS - Buffed in Blue

This pipe dream entry isn’t a pipe dream because of its remoteness, but rather due to proximity. One of the cities in the running for the Expos’ new location was East Rutherford, New Jersey! 

Executives in the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority expressed great interest in luring the Expos to East Rutherford. This ambition came from discussions about new venues for the Giants/Jets and the Nets/Devils, as well as the whole Xanadu/American Dream Meadowlands debacle. They made plans to privately fund a stadium with money from leasing the rights to manage Meadowlands Racetrack and Monmouth Park. NJSEA President George Zoffinger claimed that the market could support baseball without problems, with a large population, corporate support (for suite money), and plenty of entertainment dollars to go around. However, he didn’t account for a significant obstacle to the north.1

Said reason was this: Steinbrenner/the Yankees didn’t want it. They took it as an infringement on the territory they shared with the Mets. Steinbrenner’s defense of Angelos’ Baltimore/DC territory claims illustrates where he stood on such encroachments. While the Wilpons didn’t make a statement against the move, they noted their surprise at the announcement. One can assume that their opposition was guaranteed, which is why MLB never considered it a serious option.2

While some would say that the New York metropolitan area could support three teams, a new team in the region would have to win fans from two firmly established fanbases that could outspend them (pre-Madoff for the Mets). Moving to New Jersey would have been a poor decision on the part of MLB. One article suggests that the interest in the Expos (which reappeared after city council snags during November/December 2004, only to be snuffed out again) may have been a prelude to luring the Yankees and/or Mets out of the Bronx and Queens. That obviously didn’t happen, leaving East Rutherford baseball-free.3

However, what if MLB decided that New Jersey would be the perfect destination for optimizing TV money in a valuable market?

I figured that I could draw on two state symbols for the identity, the horse and the “buff and blue” (which has its origin with George Washington’s troops in New Jersey). The horse becomes a racing stallion (loosely based off of this photo and the NFL’s rejected St. Louis Stallions), a slight homage to the Meadowlands race track. Meanwhile, “buff and blue” become a tan-ish yellow and navy with powder accents. Yellow and navy are in a co-balance, with powder accenting the two shades.

The primary features a horse racing in front of a home plate, with the sock striping pattern and the cap insignia above. The central font is an italic variant of Albertus Medium, which is a period-appropriate design (the 2005 Nationals used it for lettering). The “NJ” is the secondary, while the tertiary is the solo horse. EDIT: On the recommendation of @coco1997, I've tweaked the "NJ" insignia. Here is the original image, and here is a comparison image.

nqUmUVb.png

The uniforms follow a simple template, with plenty of spots for accent colors. Hats feature yellow bills with powder insignias, while powder blue is the front number/NoB’s central color. The socks have a yellow and a powder stripe, to highlight how both colors don’t touch. Albertus is also the number font. Here is the original image.

Phgk22d.png

The alternates feature a yellow jersey with powder scripts/numbers and a powder-billed cap. The navy shirt has the “NJ” insignia on the chest and the horse on the sleeve. This is the initial rendering of the concept.

Ifn9uoO.png

The jacket uses shoulder and sleeve stripes, to highlight the color balance. Here's the original jacket.

l5yFQUX.png

While adding a team in New Jersey would have been a foolhardy idea, the team could still have drawn on local imagery for a fantastic design. C+C is appreciated, as always.

Up next, let’s discover how to piss off three teams (and, given the identity, potentially four)!

1 Tom Canavan and AP, “NJSEA Chief: Major League Team Would Hit Home Run in Jersey,” The Jersey Journal, October 1, 2004.

AP, “New Team in Jersey? Forget It, Say Yanks,” Chicago Tribune, April 15, 2004, https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2004-04-15-0404150319-story.html; Canavan and AP, “NJSEA Chief: Major League Team Would Hit Home Run in Jersey”; Tracy Ringolsby, “Expos: Non in Mon Back Yard - Territorial Threats - Especially Fears by the Yankees - Could Shut out Washington Again,” Rocky Mountain News, April 16, 2004, sec. Sports.

3 John Brennan, “N.J. Would Welcome Homeless Baseball Team,” The Record, December 16, 2004, sec. News; Canavan and AP, “NJSEA Chief: Major League Team Would Hit Home Run in Jersey.”

Edited by SFGiants58
Adjustments to the "NJ" insignia and tweaks to write-up
  • Like 13

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - New Jersey Stallions Added

I like it! Definitely has a late '90s-early 00's aesthetic which I'm sure is what you were aiming for. I always thought it would be cool to have an MLB team with horse-themed branding. 

I do have a few suggestions, which I'm not sure would necessarily improve the design, but are ones you might consider for a re-draft:

1. I wonder if the horse logo could be simplified to just the head and neck like the Broncos logo.

2. Maybe consider lowering the "J" in the "NJ" logo to mimic the other great monogram logos in baseball. 

All in all I dig it! 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 1:08 AM, Jimmy Lethal said:

J E R S E Y   G N A G   W H E R E   Y O U   A T

good baseball clothes.

Thanks. I don't think I know anybody from New Jersey personally. I went through a few ideas like "Pines" (which just seemed too close to the Devils), "Hitmen" (until I remembered the XFL team and mafia apologists), and a "Washington crossing the Delaware"-themed name (I couldn't think of one that didn't sound silly, so I just borrowed the Buff and Blue).

On 4/27/2019 at 1:28 PM, coco1997 said:

I like it! Definitely has a late '90s-early 00's aesthetic which I'm sure is what you were aiming for. I always thought it would be cool to have an MLB team with horse-themed branding. 

I do have a few suggestions, which I'm not sure would necessarily improve the design, but are ones you might consider for a re-draft:

1. I wonder if the horse logo could be simplified to just the head and neck like the Broncos logo.

2. Maybe consider lowering the "J" in the "NJ" logo to mimic the other great monogram logos in baseball. 

All in all I dig it! 

Thanks! I thought about a horse head/neck design, but I didn't want to infringe on the Broncos' design. You are right about the "NJ" insignia, which I've fixed up!

dsFwbKS.png

It's a definite improvement.

The next team should be up later today!

• Like 5

CONNECTICUT COLONIALS - The Ideological Origins of the Shadow Drop

9722778.jpg?v=1510092557

(John Alevizos in 1976, during his time as the Braves' GM.)

The last of the pipe dream relocations for the Expos centers around the aspirations of one John Alevizos, the head of The Alevizos Group, presented a plan to buy the Expos and move them to Connecticut. A former Red Sox VP and Braves GM, Alevizos proposed his plan for a 34,000-seat privately-funded ($250 million) stadium somewhere in Connecticut, with four sites in consideration. The leading land plot was in Wallingford, near Interstate 91.1 It was surprising to see Hartford not at the top of the list since it was not long after the loss of the Whalers and the ill-fated proposal to lure the Patriots.

The Hartford-New Haven corridor had the population numbers for success, as well as potential corporate support. Money was not a particularly large issue for Alevizos, as he claimed that he was prepared to surpass the $125 million than MLB’s other 29 clubs spent for the Expos. However, problems immediately presented themselves.2

While Alevizos and his assistants made sure their sites were outside of areas that the Yankees, Mets, and Red Sox could veto, the entrenchment of all of these teams in the area would hinder their success. In the words of Doug Pappas, chairman of the Business of Baseball Committee for the Society for American Baseball Research in Cleveland:

“It's not as if the state is underserved for baseball. When a city like Denver or Phoenix got teams, it was because there was no team near them.”3

The team also submitted their application in March 2004, much later than the other cities in consideration (which got their bids done circa 2003, while DC/Northern Virginia had been building up since in the mid-‘90s).4 This, with few doubts, knocked them down a peg.5

MLB really did not take the Connecticut proposition seriously, dismissing it by May of 2004. Alevizos died in 2006, taking with him the idea of an MLB team in Connecticut.

TL;DR: MLB as Bender, Leela as Alevizos: 

tenor.gif?itemid=9637070

However, what if Alevizos started planning earlier and was able to convince MLB to allow a team in the Hartford-New Haven corridor?

Alevizos already had a name ready for the club, the Connecticut Colonials. Alevizos explained his reasoning in an article for The News-Times in Danbury, CT:

"Not Hartford or New Haven,'' he said. "I don't want it to be named after a city. I want it to be a Connecticut team.''6

I figured that the team would likely adopt the navy/red/gold color scheme of the 2005 Nats, albeit with drop shadows instead of bevels.

The primary logo features the insignia and the tricorner hat from my initial Pirates concept. The font is Bell MT Bold, which approximates the look of Revolution-era printing presses. The insignia on its own is the secondary, while a retro design (featuring the ball from the ‘72 Twins/San Juan Expos and a Clarendon C) is the tertiary. EDIT: on the recommendation of @coco1997I’ve redone the tricorner hat to better go over the “C.” Here is the original and here’s a comparison image.

UYahXt5.png

The uniforms feature a tri-color pattern on the trim pieces, with Block Standard numbers and one-color NOB’s. I opted to use the “C” on the road jersey since the “Connecticut” wordmark was too small on the design to really work. Here’s the original.

6FwJAN1.png

The alternates include a red (with a red-billed cap) and a navy jersey. Here’s the initial render.

2oYRBo5.png

The second set of alts includes a pairing of the red-billed cap with the home uniform. There's also a retro design. Said uniform is an attempt to Connecticut-ify the Expos’ initial design. I figured it’d be a fun experiment. This is the first version.

Va0qaG7.png

The jacket features the “Connecticut” wordmark, while the retro set has its own outerwear design. Here’s the original primary jacket.

WUgUGAl.pngpNUu0Yp.png

While the identity had potential, it’s probably for the best that MLB passed on Connecticut.

At the end of his run, Alevizos made a revealing claim. In an article by Harry Minium for The Virginian-Pilot, Minium wrote:

“John Alevizos, a New England developer who unsuccessfully tried to move the Expos to Connecticut, said Chicago White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who chairs the relocation committee, told him that baseball is leaning toward Washington. Reinsdorf later denied having made that statement.”7

Alevizos’ statement would prove correct, as the Expos were basically DC’s team to lose. However, in our next pair of concepts, let’s see what would happen if MLB ventured into new territories without the problems of San Juan, Monterrey, New Jersey, and Connecticut.

Up next, “You were in ___ _____, whilst that poor child should have been in Lourdes!”

1 ESPN.com news services, “Connecticut’s Expos? Firm Joins in on the Plans,” ESPN.com, March 17, 2004, http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1761050; Paul LaRocco, “Is Major League Baseball in State Just a Field of Dreams?,” Record-Journal, May 14, 2004; Chip Malafronte, “Group Looks to Buy Expos, Move Them to Connecticut,” New Haven Register, March 17, 2004, https://www.nhregister.com/news/article/Group-looks-to-buy-Expos-move-them-to-Connecticut-11684011.php; Robert Miller, “Developer Pitches - Expos for Connecticut,” March 18, 2004, sec. Local, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&t=&sort=YMD_date%3AD&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&val-base-0="Connecticut colonials" baseball&docref=news/10AC765C9D854810.

2 LaRocco, “Is Major League Baseball in State Just a Field of Dreams?”; Malafronte, “Group Looks to Buy Expos, Move Them to Connecticut.”

3 Malafronte, “Group Looks to Buy Expos, Move Them to Connecticut”; Miller, “Developer Pitches - Expos for Connecticut.”

4 Harry Jaffe, “How DC Got Baseball Back | Washingtonian (DC),” Washingtonian (blog), April 1, 2005, https://www.washingtonian.com/2005/04/01/how-dc-got-baseball-back/.

5 Malafronte, “Group Looks to Buy Expos, Move Them to Connecticut.”

6 Miller, “Developer Pitches - Expos for Connecticut.”

7 Harry Minium, “Expos’ Fate to Be Subject at Baseball Owners’ Meeting,” The Virginian-Pilot, May 19, 2004, sec. Front.

Edited by SFGiants58
New primary logo
  • Like 11

That fauxback for Connecticut is a lot of fun! No complaints with that.

The main set is a bit muddy, given the perfect storm of dark colors, outlines, and drop shadows. Definitely feels 2000s though.

Going back a bit (since I haven't commented in a while) I prefer your first roundel primary for Monterrey, but good call with the crowns on the alt jerseys.

NJ is solid but I'd swap the hats on the alts, and go navy wordmark with light blue outlines for the yellow jersey.

• Like 2

I like it! Glad you didn't use the full state name on the road uniform, because it's too unwieldy to look good on a jersey. 

For the primary logo, I'd go with a modern update of the throwback logo. While the throwback logo definitely looks like a baseball wearing a tricorner hat, the modern logo looks like a "C" with the hat floating above it. Maybe curve the bottom of the hat so it follows the curve of the top of the "C"?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

If the Whalers struggled in their tiny shopping mall/civic center/hockey rink Frankenstein monster, an equally small major league baseball stadium would be even worse.

Funny you mention (or take a gratuitous swipe at) the Whalers, because an exurban location for a Hartford-New Haven team, while as destined to fail in baseball as Horneytown Field for the Winston-Salem Twins, makes me wonder whether that would have worked for the Whalers themselves. Hartford, as we all know, is a pretty bombed-out downtown, but Connecticut as a state manages to have one of the highest population densities, if not the highest, in America, and the Hartford-New Haven area is a healthy, medium-sized market in spite of that lack of urban-core density. So there are a lot of people there, and it's naive to assume they're adequately served by Boston and New York. Hartford not being a real mass transit town, maybe a suburban indoor arena could have worked out just fine for the Whalers and for UConn, who themselves aren't in the city of Hartford either. Just a thought.

As for the Colonials, I like the set a lot, especially the nod to Revolution-era printing. Among the New England states, Connecticut and Rhode Island are probably the hardest to build brands around. Massachusetts has the big city and can hog not only the Revolution imagery but all the quaint New England-ness, New Hampshire and Vermont are notoriously eccentric, Maine is all lighthouses, lobsters, and various Stephenkingery. Connecticut seems to be New York suburbia and post-industrial hellscapes that no one notices much because of the affluence of New York suburbia -- even their capital city is known for being forgotten. Going all in on the state being an original colony is probably the best way to handle it.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Already mentioned but the retro fauxback logo and jerseys for this one is totally adorables.  In a perfect universe this would be a thing.

The rest of the concept is a little blah especially standing next to that awesome fauxback look, but then so are the real life Nats.

I wonder how the Stallions set would look with possibly a forest green or a dark brown base, as opposed to navy? The current color scheme is nice, but I feel like either of the options I mentioned would feel more “equestrian,” I think. I would be curious to see a more modern version of the set, as well.

The Colonials look good, as well. They definitely remind me of the modern day Twins, while making the drop-shadow work better. Nice work!

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 9:08 AM, coco1997 said:

Glad you didn't use the full state name on the road uniform, because it's too unwieldy to look good on a jersey.

Conncecticut can look good on a jersey, just not in the font @SFGiants58 used.  I actually really like the Colonials set, even the Expos-style fauxback.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 5/2/2019 at 1:45 AM, vtgco said:

That fauxback for Connecticut is a lot of fun! No complaints with that.

The main set is a bit muddy, given the perfect storm of dark colors, outlines, and drop shadows. Definitely feels 2000s though.

Going back a bit (since I haven't commented in a while) I prefer your first roundel primary for Monterrey, but good call with the crowns on the alt jerseys.

NJ is solid but I'd swap the hats on the alts, and go navy wordmark with light blue outlines for the yellow jersey.

Thanks! It’s nice to see you back. I can see how it’d be a bit muddy, but it fits with the design conventions. I’ll be experimenting on the Stallions in a few posts.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:08 AM, coco1997 said:

I like it! Glad you didn't use the full state name on the road uniform, because it's too unwieldy to look good on a jersey. 

For the primary logo, I'd go with a modern update of the throwback logo. While the throwback logo definitely looks like a baseball wearing a tricorner hat, the modern logo looks like a "C" with the hat floating above it. Maybe curve the bottom of the hat so it follows the curve of the top of the "C"?

Thanks! The “Connecticut” wordmark was too unwieldy for the road uniform and condensing it would miss the point of using Bell MT Bold. 

I’ve adjusted the primary to fit your C+C. Here’s a comparison!

uYTEtg3.png

On 5/2/2019 at 9:35 AM, YankeeBaseball0934f said:

The Home, Road, and Red Alt remind me of the 2019 Twins, in a good way.

Thanks! I should experiment with a Twins uniform featuring red shadow and gold outlines.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:56 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

If the Whalers struggled in their tiny shopping mall/civic center/hockey rink Frankenstein monster, an equally small major league baseball stadium would be even worse.

Given the market size, 34,000 doesn’t sound too bad. Of course, that would depend on the specific site chosen. Leading us into:

On 5/2/2019 at 10:30 PM, the admiral said:

Funny you mention (or take a gratuitous swipe at) the Whalers, because an exurban location for a Hartford-New Haven team, while as destined to fail in baseball as Horneytown Field for the Winston-Salem Twins, makes me wonder whether that would have worked for the Whalers themselves. Hartford, as we all know, is a pretty bombed-out downtown, but Connecticut as a state manages to have one of the highest population densities, if not the highest, in America, and the Hartford-New Haven area is a healthy, medium-sized market in spite of that lack of urban-core density. So there are a lot of people there, and it's naive to assume they're adequately served by Boston and New York. Hartford not being a real mass transit town, maybe a suburban indoor arena could have worked out just fine for the Whalers and for UConn, who themselves aren't in the city of Hartford either. Just a thought.

You know, that’s not a bad idea! It wouldn’t be Richfield Coliseum-level bad, but still outside downtown Hartford.

I toured Trinity University while looking at colleges. I knew it wasn’t the right fit after seeing the decrepit state of the bathrooms. Silly reason, but still a reason to avoid.

As for the Colonials, I like the set a lot, especially the nod to Revolution-era printing. Among the New England states, Connecticut and Rhode Island are probably the hardest to build brands around. Massachusetts has the big city and can hog not only the Revolution imagery but all the quaint New England-ness, New Hampshire and Vermont are notoriously eccentric, Maine is all lighthouses, lobsters, and various Stephenkingery. Connecticut seems to be New York suburbia and post-industrial hellscapes that no one notices much because of the affluence of New York suburbia -- even their capital city is known for being forgotten. Going all in on the state being an original colony is probably the best way to handle it.

Thanks. It was surprisingly tough to create a “Colonials” look that didn’t rip off the Pats or tread too close to the Red Sox. I thought about the New England flag for a bit, before opting for the typeface. 

On 5/2/2019 at 10:56 PM, appleclock said:

Already mentioned but the retro fauxback logo and jerseys for this one is totally adorables.  In a perfect universe this would be a thing.

The rest of the concept is a little blah especially standing next to that awesome fauxback look, but then so are the real life Nats.

Thanks!

On 5/3/2019 at 10:42 AM, MJD7 said:

I wonder how the Stallions set would look with possibly a forest green or a dark brown base, as opposed to navy? The current color scheme is nice, but I feel like either of the options I mentioned would feel more “equestrian,” I think. I would be curious to see a more modern version of the set, as well.

The Colonials look good, as well. They definitely remind me of the modern day Twins, while making the drop-shadow work better. Nice work!

Thanks! It did remind me of the modern Twins. The look has potential, but it needs some significant refinement/consistency.

I chose the Buff and Blue as “state” colors, but green or brown would be an interesting experiment.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:59 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Both the Stallions and Colonials look great! Just thought I’d ask, but what would be your ideal universe and configuration of teams? Besides modern day I guess

Thanks! Ideally, I’d kind of want the teams we have now, albeit with a few tweaks. I’ll probably go into that towards the end of the thread.

On 5/3/2019 at 8:09 PM, Discrimihater said:

Conncecticut can look good on a jersey, just not in the font @SFGiants58 used.  I actually really like the Colonials set, even the Expos-style fauxback.

Put it in a condensed block or display font and it’d work. Thanks! The Expos-style alt is a favorite of mine.