MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

dxhe4tU.png

Welcome to MLB: The Defunct Series! After spending last year producing Project 32’s myriad of redesigns and tweaks, I figured that I should apply the same philosophy to the defunct teams of the majors. Much like its predecessor, each team will have two to three parts. The first part will be the main concept, the one that I’m happiest with presenting/matches the historical trajectory of the team’s aesthetics. The other will be an alternate take, in which I can explore different identities and shirk brand equity to have a little fun.

I’ve also got plans to include several attempted relocations, with a focus on deals that fell through at the last minute/pose the most visual interest. These will not have alternate takes since they are essentially alternate takes in their own right.

The releases will go by chronology, starting with the Boston Braves. The only one out of order is the last one since the short lifespan of the said team leaves their visual history up for more speculation.

TEAMS

The Defunct Set 

Boston Braves (Boston Beacons)

St. Louis Browns (Updated) (Oriole-ized) (Updated) (Update II) (Baltimore Orioles tweaking)

Philadelphia Athletics (The Charlie O Touch) (Mini-Update) (Full Update)

New York Giants (Updated) (New York Gothams) (Update and Mets Variants)

Brooklyn Dodgers (Updated "Brooklyn" script) (Brooklyn Canaries w/ Los Angeles Canaries modification)

Washington Senators/Washington Nationals (Nationals Update - new primary) (Twins-style Senators/Nationals)

Milwaukee Braves (Update Explanation - Second Update Explanation) (Milwaukee Brewers I and Milwaukee Brewers II)

Kansas City Athletics (Update Explanation) (Kansas City Blues - Update) (Kansas City Monarchs)

Seattle Pilots (an explanation of why they left) (Blue/Yellow Ship) (2018 original) (Green/Red Aviation)

Washington Senators II (1990s redesign)

Montréal Expos (an explanation of why they left) (Explaining destinations) (Primary Design - French Canadian-centric) (Abstract Design - "eM") (Abstract design - "M-Fleur-de-Lis") ("elMb"/"eMb" updated/tweaked)

1. Montréal Voyageurs
  2. Montréal Royaux

Attempted Relocations and Failed Expansion - Organized by City

Atlanta

Atlanta Athletics

The Carolinas

Carolina Twins (Carolina Triplets)(Charlotte-based Carolina Twins)

Charlotte Knights (ex-Florida Marlins)

Connecticut

Connecticut Colonials

Dallas

Dallas Athletics (Update)

Denver

Denver Athletics

Denver White Sox

Denver Pirates

Fictional Teams

New York Knights

Miami Gators (former Cleveland Indians)

Indianapolis

Indianapolis Arrows

Las Vegas

Las Vegas Lizards (former Montréal Expos/Florida Marlins/potential relocation-expansion team)

Las Vegas Athletics

Los Angeles

Los Angeles Angels - former Washington Sens/Nats or expansion team (Updated)

Los Angeles Athletics (Update) (Kelly Green/Scarlet Red/Yellow-Gold Update)

Louisville

Louisville Athletics (Elephant Jersey)

Milwaukee

Houston/Milwaukee Cardinals (Updated)

Milwaukee Brewers - former St. Louis Browns (Updated) (Project 32 Style)

Milwaukee Athletics (Milwaukee update explanation)

Milwaukee White Sox (Update Comparison & New Home Uniform Explanation)

Milwaukee Brewers Prototypes

Minnesota

Minneapolis GiantsTwin Cities Giants, and Minnesota Giants 

Monterrey, México

Monterrey Sultanes

Montréal/Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay-Montréal Dragonflies/Libellules

New Jersey

New Jersey Stallions

New Orleans

New Orleans Athletics

New Orleans Pirates

New Orleans White Sox

Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City Twisters (former Florida Marlins)

Oklahoma City 89ers (former Florida Marlins)

Phoenix

Phoenix Athletics

Portland

Portland Stags (former Montréal Expos/Florida Marlins/potential relocation-expansion team) (Update) (Red/Black/Sky Blue)

Portland Athletics

Sacramento - Introduction

Sacramento Giants

Sacramento Athletics

San Antonio

San Antonio Missions - former Florida Marlins

San Antonio Rebeldes - former Florida Marlins

San Diego

San Diego Athletics

San Diego Reds (Updates)

San Francisco

San Francisco Seals - former Washington Sens/Nats or expansion team/s

San José

San José Giants

San José Athletics

Silicon Valley Athletics of Fremont

San Juan, Puerto Rico

San Juan Expos

Salt Lake City

Salt Lake Twins

Seattle

Seattle Athletics (green/yellow and green/white)

Chicago Athletics and Seattle White Sox

Seattle Rainiers (former Cleveland Indians)

Tampa Bay - The Sweepstakes! - Introduction, Outline, and Dramatis Personæ

Tampa Bay Pirates

Tampa Bay Tarpons (ex-Minnesota Twins & Washington Sens/Nats)(Tampa Bay Twins/Tarpons variants)

Tampa Bay Athletics

Florida White Sox

Tampa Bay Cannons (ex-Texas Rangers/Washington Senators)

Florida Panthers (Forest Green/Creamsicle Recolor)

Florida/Tampa Bay Whitecaps (Seren Script with a triple blue palette)

Tampa Bay Mariners

Tampa Bay Giants - The Recreations

Tampa Bay Sting Rays and wrap-up

Compilations

Toronto

Toronto Giants (1976 prototype recreation)

Washington, D.C. (and Virginia)

Washington Nationals (Ex-San Diego Padres)

Washington Nationals (Ex-Pittsburgh Pirates)

Washington Nationals (Ex-Baltimore Orioles)

Virginia Fury (expansion or former Houston Astros)

Virginia Fury (former Montréal Expos)

Norfolk Destroyers (former Montréal Expos)

Washington Grays (former Montréal Expos with a different name)

Miscellaneous

Alaska, Hawaii, and Montréal Athletics

Compilations

Edited by SFGiants58
New links added.
  • Like 18

BOSTON BRAVES, PT. I - Classically Bostonian

EDIT (12/8/2021): The original post on the Boston Braves was an absurdly short summary with no cited sources. I’d like to take this opportunity to rectify that mistake and bring it in line with some of my other explanations.

While the Braves predated the Red Sox in Boston by several decades, it was clear by the 1930s that the balance of power had shifted towards the American League club. Between several new owners and temporarily a new name (Bees), the Braves couldn’t emerge from their attendance rut. They never finished in the top half of attendance between 1934 and 1946. Despite the buoying of the 1948 NL Pennant team and its associated attendance boost (1,455,439), the team’s fortunes had fallen back to their norm by the start of the ‘50s (944,391 in 1950, 487,475 in 1951, and 281,278 in 1952).1  This is where an infamous picture comes from, during a game against the Pirates in May:

Private-Audience-at.jpg

(A lone fan in the stands, 1952)2 

Adding to the problem, the team lost $459,009 in 1952 ($4,790,824 in today’s money – it doesn’t sound like much, but overhead was far lower in the ‘40s/’50s).3 

Owner Lou Perini, a Boston construction leader, looked to Milwaukee as a solution to the Braves’ financial and attendance woes. The Braves owned the American Association Brewers, so it made a relocation prospect easier (especially after Veeck’s effort to relocate the Browns fell through, thanks to Perini). After selling only 420 season tickets in the lead-up to the 1953 season and negotiating with Fred Miller of Miller Brewing Company, Perini was set on moving to Milwaukee’s new County Stadium. It only required the approval of National League President Warren C. Giles, Commissioner Ford C. Frick, and the National League team owners.4  

On March 18, 1953, the National League owners approved the relocation of the Braves. The only real hang-up was moving the Pirates into the “eastern division” of the NL (yes, the league had de-facto divisions then).  Reactions in Boston were mostly ones of apathy or shock, with the media slyly observing that not many would miss the Braves.5 In the words of Joseph F. Dinneen Jr. of The Boston Globe:

Few fans became emotional over the loss of the franchise, and it was generally accepted that fandom would be satisfied to follow the Red Sox, as had been in recent years anyway, to the chagrin of Braves' owner Lou Perini.6

The 420 season ticket buyers got refunds, Boston University purchased Braves Field (now Nickerson Field and campus PD), and the Milwaukee Braves had a huge rush of season ticket purchases. This move was undoubtedly an upgrade over playing second fiddle to the Red Sox.7 

TL;DR:

zlqvk5-LDI7-Hp-Hlnxs-STy-YGJg-Gc.gif

However, what if things had worked out differently?

Original post here:

Spoiler

The Boston Braves have long been one of the more neglected defunct teams, perhaps because they were the first team to move and because one can best characterize their stay in Boston with these two images:

C9YgaMdVwAM2_3q.jpg

tumblr_nayctye1Ws1qa7jrbo1_500.gif

Despite a World Series win in 1914, an additional NL pennant in 1948, and several pre-World Series pennants, the team was constantly losing money, losing games (5118-5598, .478 winning percentage), and drawing poorly. With it becoming clear that the team couldn’t stick it out in Boston, they moved to Milwaukee and kickstarted a large wave of relocations. However, what if things had worked out differently?

What if the Braves managed to gain stable, wealthy ownership while in Boston? What if they were able to coexist with the Red Sox, or even drive them out eventually (Yawkey probably wouldn’t have gone for it)? Well, let’s see the modern Boston Braves!

I figured that the team’s identity would take a similar course to that of the Atlanta Braves, wearing a modernization of their “classic” look. This would be their 1946-52 uniform set. I figured that the team would have worn it as long as they did in our timeline, albeit making some slight adjustments to the 1987 restoration. These would be the creation of a “Boston” script and the retention of the contrast-colored tomahawk. The roundel patch from the current identity returns, bearing the new name and the date 1871, as the Braves’ founding predates the National League. The cursive “B” is a far more prominent symbol for the club now, as it's in both scripts and has far more character than the “Block B.”

RU2Zrvn.png

The uniforms are my standard Braves concept with key adjustments. The road uniform uses the “Boston” script and the caps feature the new “B,” while arched NOB’s give way to an arc. I figured minor differences like that would pop up.

45HeNFE.png

The navy alternate is pretty much the same as my previous Braves redesign, while the home alternate is a new construction. I used the 1914 Braves’ “Block B” on the cap and jersey, to tribute both the 1914 “Miracle” Braves and the years in which the team wore a “B” on their home jersey (1907-09, 1913-15, 1921-26, 1937-38, 1940-44). It’s my way of honoring the pre-1946 identities.

YFfKVb7.png

The dugout jacket is much the same as the Atlanta equivalent, albeit with the new patch.

uooZbd2.png

C+C is appreciated, as always! Up next, what if the Boston Bees hadn’t returned to the Braves name, but debuted a new moniker?

1 LeMoine, “Boston Braves Team Ownership History – Society for American Baseball Research,” SABR (blog), September 26, 2020, https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/boston-braves-team-ownership-history/; Craig Muder, “Braves’ Move to Milwaukee Shook Baseball’s World,” Baseball Hall of Fame, accessed December 4, 2021, https://baseballhall.org/discover/inside-pitch/braves-move-to-milwaukee-shook-baseballs-world; Saul Wisnia, “September 21, 1952: Braves Bid Adieu to Boston in Home Finale – Society for American Baseball Research,” SABR (blog), December 5, 2020, https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/september-21-1952-braves-bid-adieu-to-boston-in-home-finale/; “Atlanta Braves Attendance, Stadiums, and Park Factors,” Baseball-Reference.com, accessed December 8, 2021, https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/attend.shtml.

2 Paul J. Maguire, “Private Audience at Braves Field,” The Boston Globe, March 17, 1953.

3 LeMoine, “Boston Braves Team Ownership History – Society for American Baseball Research.”

4 Patrick Steele, Home of the Braves: The Battle for Baseball in Milwaukee, 1st edition (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2020); The Boston Globe Staff, “Returned, With Thanks Only 420 Season Tickets Sold for Boston Braves,” The Boston Globe, March 19, 1953.

5 Jack Hand, “Transfer of Braves to Milwaukee Viewed as First in Series of Future Changes,” Youngstown Vindicator, March 19, 1953.

6 Joseph F. Dinneen, “Only Faithful Really Mourn Shift of Club,” The Boston Globe, March 19, 1953.

7 Associated Press, “Braves Season Tickets,” The Journal Times, April 21, 1953; Steele, Home of the Braves; The Boston Globe Staff, “Returned, With Thanks Only 420 Season Tickets Sold for Boston Braves.”

Edited by SFGiants58
New explanation, with citations!
  • Like 28

Oh, you're kidding me, another series!? STOP BEING SO AWESOME!!! Braves look smart of course, although on your tamer side, not a pixel out of place as always. Wicked hyped for this, my friend.

• Like 7

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Damn, you weren't lying... there's a LOT of Milwaukee here!  And is that a Milwaukee White Sox concept I see in the wings?  Apart from the St. Louis Browns actually moving back to Milwaukee as Bill Veeck wanted, that's one alt history scenario I really wish could have happened.

• Like 2

Wow, this project ended up being bigger and better than I could have ever imagined! The Boston Braves of course look great, but I'm most looking forward to the alternate takes. Can't wait to see the Bees!

The relocation part of the project intrigues me greatly, too. I see you're planning to take on the Tampa Bay White Sox. Might I suggest going with a hunter green and orange color scheme?

• Like 1

This should be fun! I love MLB history off the field with potential relocation and movement in the discussion. Looks like you came up with some great ideas! Looking forward to this. 

Boston looks good. There is an issue with the heritage alt helmet. The “B” seems to be missing an outline. Other than that simple fix, looks great. Love the away uniform.  Love your concepts because I know you will pump out many without sacrificing quality. Good stuff! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bruins said:

Oh, you're kidding me, another series!? STOP BEING SO AWESOME!!! Braves look smart of course, although on your tamer side, not a pixel out of place as always. Wicked hyped for this, my friend.

16 hours ago, tigers said:

Love the tertiary and the fauxback.

Look forward to this series.

8 hours ago, MJD7 said:

That “Boston” script is a beauty.

I’m beyond excited for this series! It seems like there are a lot of cool ideas in here, and I can’t wait to see you knock them out of the park.

8 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY!!!

7 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Wow, I'm amazed at how well the B from the script works as a cap logo. Great job on the uniforms, I love the navy tomahawks. 

Thanks, guys! I'm looking forward to putting this series forward to all of you.

9 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

This should be fun! I love MLB history off the field with potential relocation and movement in the discussion. Looks like you came up with some great ideas! Looking forward to this. 

Boston looks good. There is an issue with the heritage alt helmet. The “B” seems to be missing an outline. Other than that simple fix, looks great. Love the away uniform.  Love your concepts because I know you will pump out many without sacrificing quality. Good stuff! 

Thanks! Good catch, I've fixed it in the post.

18 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Great start so far.

As far as attempted relocations, don't forget the Padres and Astros almost moved to DC in different decades. Astros tried maybe two or three times to leave Houston before Minute Maid Park was built.

8 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Don't forget that the Twins almost moved to Greensboro, of all places in the '90s. Can't wait to see this series play out, especially considering how amazing Project 32 was!

Thanks, guys! This was just an initial list of relocations. I plan to add more as the series goes forward. I've got a few fun ideas for how the make Twins' identity work in the Carolinas.

15 hours ago, NicDB said:

Damn, you weren't lying... there's a LOT of Milwaukee here!  And is that a Milwaukee White Sox concept I see in the wings?  Apart from the St. Louis Browns actually moving back to Milwaukee as Bill Veeck wanted, that's one alt history scenario I really wish could have happened.

Thanks! Yes, I could almost call this series Milwaukee Madness! You'll definitely see the Milwaukee White Sox and the Brewers (former Browns) in this series. It'll be a bit of a challenge to make the different concepts look seperate from each other, but I think I can manage.

10 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Wow, this project ended up being bigger and better than I could have ever imagined! The Boston Braves of course look great, but I'm most looking forward to the alternate takes. Can't wait to see the Bees!

The relocation part of the project intrigues me greatly, too. I see you're planning to take on the Tampa Bay White Sox. Might I suggest going with a hunter green and orange color scheme?

Thanks! I too was surprised by how its scope grew in the planning stage. While you won't be getting the Bees, I'm hoping you'll like what I've cooked up here. That color scheme for the Tampa Bay White Sox is a good idea, as I assume they wouldn't have had the "we've finally found our identity" moment they had in 1990. It's also easy to work white into that design, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, it's time to shine a light!

BOSTON BEACONS, PT. II - Lighting the way to the Bay State

When looking at the visual and nickname history of the Boston Braves, one can see a relatively inconsistent identity. While the Braves name was the most consistent (1912-35, 1941-52), they also adopted nicknames like Red Stockings (1876-82), Beaneaters (1883-1906), Doves (1907-10), Rustlers (1911), and Bees (1936-40). The Bees were the longest-lasting replacement for the Braves name, coming about as a result of team president Bob Quinn holding a renaming contest (won by Arthur J. Rockwood). When the Bees name failed to produce a winner, the team-owning syndicate opted to switch the name back to Braves. However, what if things turned out a little differently?1

Instead of going back to the old name, the Boston NL syndicate looked out from Boston University’s campus PD headquarters/Nickerson Field to Boston harbor. While peering into the distance, they found inspiration in the various lighthouses of Boston and New England. They opted to adopt a new name, “Beacons.” It was a two-syllable name that had alliteration with Boston, and in proto-Nike speak, was a symbol of the franchise gaining a guiding light to success. Their design took inspiration from the uniforms worn by the 1929-35 teams, with a logo incorporated into text (which would be a modified Rockwell by the modern day). The team also chose to make Columbia Blue the prominent secondary color (alongside the Bees’ gold color), as it reminded the syndicate of their days on the beach.

VmZ5JvO.png

The uniforms take inspiration from the 1929-35 and 46-52 Braves, using a co-dominance of Navy and Columbia with gold accents. The primary logo occupies the sleeves, while the wordmarks feature the “beacon” above arched text. The cap logo incorporates the beacon into the letter “B.” It may be a bit Rays-ish, but I’d like to think it’s a bit better executed. Rockwell NoB’s appear here, alongside Wilson Varsity numerals.

DM2pyjE.png

The home/road alternate is a navy version of the home uniform, with no white outlines, as they’d clutter the design. The fauxback alternate is a “Beacon-ized” version of the 1914 Braves’ home uniform, complete with a color-appropriate patch. I added the “block B” to the cap, for an extra flourish.

2ZBDxq9.png

The jacket has a similar design to my Braves jacket, albeit with gold shoulder inserts, the “Boston” wordmark, and the tertiary logo on the back with an “Est. 1871” wordmark. This connects them to the long lineage of the club, predating the National League.

L6X6yxX.png

Also, I’ve got to give a shoutout to @pcgd and his Beacon Hill of the America League series for inspiring this concept. If you want to read about the Boston Braves’ history, here is an excellent SABR article. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next: “For want of a Busch, two unexpected relocations occurred.”

1LeMoine, Bob. “Boston Braves Team Ownership History.” SABR. Accessed June 8, 2018. https://sabr.org/research/boston-braves-team-ownership-history.

• Like 22

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks, guys! I'm looking forward to putting this series forward to all of you.

Thanks! Good catch, I've fixed it in the post.

Thanks, guys! This was just an initial list of relocations. I plan to add more as the series goes forward. I've got a few fun ideas for how the make Twins' identity work in the Carolinas.

Thanks! Yes, I could almost call this series Milwaukee Madness! You'll definitely see the Milwaukee White Sox and the Brewers (former Browns) in this series. It'll be a bit of a challenge to make the different concepts look seperate from each other, but I think I can manage.

Thanks! I too was surprised by how its scope grew in the planning stage. While you won't be getting the Bees, I'm hoping you'll like what I've cooked up here. That color scheme for the Tampa Bay White Sox is a good idea, as I assume they wouldn't have had the "we've finally found our identity" moment they had in 1990. It's also easy to work white into that design, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, it's time to shine a light!

BOSTON BEACONS, PT. II - Lighting the way to the Bay State

When looking at the visual and nickname history of the Boston Braves, one can see a relatively inconsistent identity. While the Braves name was the most consistent (1912-35, 1941-52), they also adopted nicknames like Red Stockings (1876-82), Beaneaters (1883-1906), Doves (1907-10), Rustlers (1911), and Bees (1936-40). The Bees were the longest-lasting replacement for the Braves name, coming about as a result of team president Bob Quinn holding a renaming contest (won by Arthur J. Rockwood). When the Bees name failed to produce a winner, the team-owning syndicate opted to switch the name back to Braves. However, what if things turned out a little differently?1

Instead of going back to the old name, the Boston NL syndicate looked out from Boston University’s campus PD headquarters/Nickerson Field to Boston harbor. While peering into the distance, they found inspiration in the various lighthouses of Boston and New England. They opted to adopt a new name, “Beacons.” It was a two-syllable name that had alliteration with Boston, and in proto-Nike speak, was a symbol of the franchise gaining a guiding light to success. Their design took inspiration from the uniforms worn by the 1929-35 teams, with a logo incorporated into text (which would be a modified Rockwell by the modern day). The team also chose to make Columbia Blue the prominent secondary color (alongside the Bees’ gold color), as it reminded the syndicate of their days on the beach.

VmZ5JvO.png

The uniforms take inspiration from the 1929-35 and 46-52 Braves, using a co-dominance of Navy and Columbia with gold accents. The primary logo occupies the sleeves, while the wordmarks feature the “beacon” above arched text. The cap logo incorporates the beacon into the letter “B.” It may be a bit Rays-ish, but I’d like to think it’s a bit better executed. Rockwell NoB’s appear here, alongside Wilson Varsity numerals.

DM2pyjE.png

The home/road alternate is a navy version of the home uniform, with no white outlines, as they’d clutter the design. The fauxback alternate is a “Beacon-ized” version of the 1914 Braves’ home uniform, complete with a color-appropriate patch. I added the “block B” to the cap, for an extra flourish.

2ZBDxq9.png

The jacket has a similar design to my Braves jacket, albeit with gold shoulder inserts, the “Boston” wordmark, and the tertiary logo on the back with an “Est. 1871” wordmark. This connects them to the long lineage of the club, predating the National League.

L6X6yxX.png

Also, I’ve got to give a shoutout to @pcgd and his Beacon Hill of the America League series for inspiring this concept. If you want to read about the Boston Braves’ history, here is an excellent SABR article. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next: “For want of a Busch, two unexpected relocations occurred.”

1LeMoine, Bob. “Boston Braves Team Ownership History.” SABR. Accessed June 8, 2018. https://sabr.org/research/boston-braves-team-ownership-history.

Make this a real team someone, anyone. 

Great colors, great logo, great information and uniforms.

Just one suggestion for you, did you try to put the light inside the top part of the B for the primary cap logo?

• Like 1

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.