MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

I think it says everything that you told me exactly what you planned to do and I'm STILL blown away!  This might be your best one yet for this series.

My only nitpick is that "Los Angeles" looks crammed onto the road grays.  Your LA monogram is the strongest part of this, so I say use that instead.

The whole purple and gold coloring really works for the Angels; gold and purple are royal...almost "heavenly" colors, and fit with the whole Angel concept.

I like the interlocking LA fusing the Lakers and the Angels; and makes it look like they got married and had a baby; and the logo was the baby. XD

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

On 7/20/2018 at 9:39 PM, mungojerry311 said:

These are absolutely great! Would it be okay if I adapted these concepts for OOTP Baseball?

Thanks. Sure you can! Just make sure to give me proper credit in any public posting of them, please.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:32 PM, NicDB said:

I think it says everything that you told me exactly what you planned to do and I'm STILL blown away!  This might be your best one yet for this series.

My only nitpick is that "Los Angeles" looks crammed onto the road grays.  Your LA monogram is the strongest part of this, so I say use that instead.

Thanks! I really liked making this one. I do have to agree that the "Los Angeles" is a little bit crammed onto the uniform. The "LA" makes for a better road insignia.

Chb8SMV.png

1HLaM86.png

On 7/21/2018 at 8:31 AM, coco1997 said:

Wow, this is easily my favorite concept in this series so far. The Lakers as an MLB team? Sheer genius. My favorite look is the home alternate with the gold billed cap. You definitely did not disappoint with this one!

On 7/21/2018 at 9:35 AM, MJD7 said:

The Angels look nice! The gold alternate is absolutely my favorite, that’s a beautiful uniform. 

On 7/21/2018 at 10:50 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The whole purple and gold coloring really works for the Angels; gold and purple are royal...almost "heavenly" colors, and fit with the whole Angel concept.

I like the interlocking LA fusing the Lakers and the Angels; and makes it look like they got married and had a baby; and the logo was the baby. XD

On 7/20/2018 at 6:07 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

Wow, definitely get a tradition laden vibe, almost like the cities basketball team, the Los Angeles Lakers. Love the primary, classic logo. The getaway uniform is great. My favorite set yet! 

Thanks, guys!

On 7/21/2018 at 10:27 AM, CaptainKirkMN said:

I swear I thought Jack Cooke was a very young Kurt Russel.

I do see the resemblance.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:28 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

Fantastic. Simply amazing work! I love the purple/gold scheme and really wish this had happened instead of the mess of Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels, occasionally of Anaheim. Very excited to see what's next. I'm thinkings either San Francisco/Oakland or Seattle.

Thanks! I like that it's a cleaner narrative than the modern AL Angels. Also, you're right about your first pick.

SAN FRANCISCO SEALS (FORMER WASHINGTON SENATORS/NATIONALS or expansion team) - Seal of Approval

From that same Hardball Times article, we get this tidbit:

When L.A.’s flirtation with the Dodgers intensified, the Senators set their gaze on San Francisco and Seals Stadium. But the Dodgers’ move to California needed a second National League team to go west for approval. So the Giants were persuaded to abandon a move to Minneapolis and head to San Francisco.1

Again, O'Malley and Stoneham thwarted the Griffiths' plans to move out west. Admittedly, if anybody deserved to have their team rot in Candle$hit Park, it was Calvin Griffith. However. what if his rebound effort went through?

Let's assume that the move happens in 1958, with an expansion team taking up residence in LA. Griffith continues as owner for a bit longer, selling in the 1970s under financial duress (maybe threatening a Toronto move). Bob Lurie would buy the team, have issues drawing fans to that garbage stadium, and would deal with potential relocations to San Jose and Tampa Bay. The Magowan/Baer ownership group stops the move from happening, building Lefty O'Doul Park in the China Basin. The uniforms would have a decidedly retro aesthetic, embracing the off-white color and baseball traditions of both the club and city. This scenario would also work with an expansion team, just replace Griffith with an initial ownership group.

We've got a lovely identity salad of the current SF Giants, the Sens/Nats, and the PCL Seals here. The colors are the Seals' late 1930s-early 1940s navy and orange (co-balance, unlike the Tigers and Astros), with the off-white/creme of the current Giants. It works for both an expansion team and a modification of the Sens/Nats color scheme (like the Browns swapping brown for black as the Orioles). The primary logo combines and updates bits of my Project 32 concepts for the Giants and Seals (former Giants). I added a cap (1954 Orioles-ish) to the old seal logo (itself inspired by the PCL team's iconography) while using Belgrad for the roundel font (like the Art Deco of the Golden Gate Bridge). The cap logo and the seal are the secondary and tertiary, respectively.

dZrgEZR.png

The home and road set have a significant influence from all three of the clubs' ancestors/relatives. The pinstriped home uniform (which have a large role in the Seals' uniform history) features an off-white base and a home script that combines the "S" of the Senators' 1959-60 script with the reverse tail of the late 1950s Seals. It was a nice little touch to the design. The road set uses the cap logo (itself a blend of the Seals' later cap logo and the Giants' modern design) as a crest, as "San Francisco" was too long to render in the script font. It's a look that history for both the Giants and Sens/Nats, so it works. The asymmetrical stripes separate them from the Tigers and Astros, tying in to the Senators-style sock stripes. I know that it's kind of an unwritten rule to not use sock stripes and pinstripes, but the design is simple enough to not pose a problem. The number font is the Giants' one, with a no-NOB home uniform (for the extra retro touch at Lefty O'Doul Park).

Tm4PJHI.png

The alternates are pretty standard, with an orange top at home and a navy one for the road. The away alternate uses the full-bodied seal logo, and the home jersey employs an alternate cap with an orange bill and white cap insignia. It's not that different from what the Giants do now, albeit with navy replacing black.

PAHaO0f.png

If you want to see what the home/road set looks like with a "San Francisco" script (rejected because it was "too jammed on the uniform"), here you go (within spoiler tags)!

Spoiler

aXL8eJw.png

gxLNTGa.png

The jacket features creme sleeves, the script on the front/primary on the back, and the sock striping on the trim.

J2WSC5s.png

While I love my Giants, I'd be more than happy with my hometown team looking like this. It's an identity that tastefully modernizes the Seals' look while keeping them distinctive within the majors (DO YOU HEAR ME, PADRES?!). C+C is appreciated, as always!

giphy.gif

Up next, the first stop in a long relocation roundelay.

1Paul Francis Sullivan, “The Franchise Moves That Almost Happened | The Hardball Times,” The Hardball Times, June 21, 2011, https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/the-franchise-moves-that-almost-happened/.

Edited by SFGiants58
Added an image citation.
  • Like 24

You nailed another one!  The wordmarks and seal all look great!

Only suggestion I have is experiment with an orange base layer for the homes and road alt.  I kind of feel like this team would try to "own" orange to separate itself from the other orange and navy clubs.

That primary logo is a thing of beauty! The Seals set overall looks very nice. My only gripe comes with the alternate, where I feel the off-white stands out a bit too much in the numbers and player name. I would suggest making those orange, but that’s just personal preference.

giphy.gif

Well, I'm back! Sorry for the delay, guys. Real life kind of got in the way for a bit.

On 7/22/2018 at 9:03 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Everything looks outstanding, shaping up to be another legendary thread by the one and only. Keep it up!

On 7/23/2018 at 8:17 AM, coco1997 said:

Didn't expect to get another look at the SF Seals, but I can't complain!

giphy.gif

On 7/23/2018 at 12:02 AM, Griffinmarlins said:

This is probably my favorite one of the whole series so far. Every single thing about the Seals identity is amazing, especially the use of cream on the non-pinstriped uniforms. 

On 7/23/2018 at 11:31 AM, MJD7 said:

That primary logo is a thing of beauty! The Seals set overall looks very nice. My only gripe comes with the alternate, where I feel the off-white stands out a bit too much in the numbers and player name. I would suggest making those orange, but that’s just personal preference.

Thanks, guys!

On 7/22/2018 at 8:03 PM, NicDB said:

You nailed another one!  The wordmarks and seal all look great!

Only suggestion I have is experiment with an orange base layer for the homes and road alt.  I kind of feel like this team would try to "own" orange to separate itself from the other orange and navy clubs.

Thanks! The orange base layers doesn't look all that bad on the navy top. The pinstriped home uniform isn't as pretty.

Zev5Et2.png2TK5SWc.png

Well, here's the first destination in a long line of speculative locations!

LOS ANGELES ATHLETICS - The other LAA. (Kelly Green/Scarlet Red/Yellow-Gold Update - the preferred version)

This was one I was a little hesitant to do, if only because of the relative lack of sources on it. The only one I could find on it was The Hardball Times' article on attempted relocation and an excerpt from John E. Peterson's book on the Kansas City Athletics (citing a New York Post report).Reading these two sources present an intriguing scenario. Noted Yankee toadie Arnold Johnson would move the Kansas City A's to Los Angeles, perhaps coordinating a move with the Sens/Twins. Since Peterson's book outlined the speculation date as after the Giants/Dodgers' move out west, I figured that the A's would move to LA while the Senators moved to Minnesota. Meanwhile, the AL would add expansion teams in DC and Houston (the Colts/the Continental League's Houston group). However, Johnson re-upped the Athletics' lease at Kansas City's Municipal Stadium and he died in 1960. Let's assume, for a moment, that the move went through. What would happen to the A's?

The team would begin playing at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, before setting out to build a stadium in either Inglewood or Anaheim. Arnold Johnson would die a year later than he did in our timeline, with Charlie O. Finley buying the team and rebuilding them in his image (green/yellow, white cleats, etc.). The squad would go on to be the Swingin' A's, looking wild in comparison to the restrained Dodgers. It's a bit like what the Angels do, except with green/yellow replacing the red-heavy design. One of the most important fluctuations is that the team never adopted Forest Green or returned to cursive scripts (which appeared due to the Oakland team's different ownership), instead building upon and modernizing the Kelly/Yellow-Gold while emphasizing Old English text. 

The primary features the classic white elephant enclosed in a home plate shape, with "Los Angeles" at the top. The insignias include the "A's" mark and a new interlocking "LA."

sNWAbOR.png

The home and road uniform modify my alternate take for Philadelphia, albeit with a crest-style home uniform and arched Old English on the road set. The number font is off of my Reds concept, as I like the wider font to mix up the different A's designs (it also has precedence in the 1960s and '70s). Sock stripes exhibit a truncated Packers stripe, to keep the white and yellow from not touching.

hdEbIbk.png

The green alternates differentiate for each location, with the Old English "Athletics" on the home uniform. This set also has an "LA" cap, to slightly modernize their "initial LA" look (see the second set of special uniforms). The road alt features the A's insignia on the chest and the primary on the sleeve.

Z2kiGA6.png

The second set of alts feature a gold jersey and a throwback. The throwback is the 1955-60 Kansas  City  Athletics uniform, with a tiny modification for Los Angeles on the cap logo. This would be their pre-Charlie O. uniform, highlighting how "blah" the team was before he bought them.

YV4cmrU.png

The primary dugout jacket feature the Packers-style stripe on the trim, with the insignias and tertiary logo on it. The throwback features the vintage script, with the "LA" logo on the back and the elephant on the sleeve.

MBooUZj.pngqZeUEbB.png

This one isn't all that different from my previous Athletics concepts, but it features its own unique touches (arched Old English, striping, etc.). Since the A's will show up a lot in the series, I've got to do a lot to make them different each time. Here, they're the more colorful, Old English-embracing alternate to the Dodgers. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, Charlie O. heads south!

1John E. Peterson, The Kansas City Athletics: A Baseball History, 1954–1967 (Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 2012), 100.

Edited by SFGiants58
Large Update Noted
  • Like 8

Your serie make us think the MLB designers often make lame products. I mean, I'd like to see more logos on jerseys "à la 70's expos"

Too many woodmark, too many teams putting city name on road, why not put Padres or Astros on a road jersey. Heck, what's wrong putting Milwaukee on a home jersey? I'd be fun, much better than funky graphics in numbers, socks etc, they seem not to know where is a balance between evolution and tradition.

More logos on the front of jerseys would add diversity and make everybody not look similar.

The A's are the hardest team to make exciting in a series like this because their brand has always been very un-localized compared to other teams.

The only thing I can say here is I'd like to see the LA monogram more. I feel like being LA's first baseball team is something that might break them from their tendency to emphasize the A... but they still get to use an A.

I want so much to like the Athletics uniform, but the arched Old English text feels so WordArt. That said, I get that you're rooting this in reality, and in reality, not all uniforms are spectacular.

rATMcmK.png

23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

giphy.gif

Well, I'm back! Sorry for the delay, guys. Real life kind of got in the way for a bit.

Thanks, guys!

Thanks! The orange base layers doesn't look all that bad on the navy top. The pinstriped home uniform isn't as pretty.

Zev5Et2.png2TK5SWc.png

Well, here's the first destination in a long line of speculative locations!

LOS ANGELES ATHLETICS - The other LAA.

This was one I was a little hesitant to do, if only because of the relative lack of sources on it. The only one I could find on it was The Hardball Times' article on attempted relocation and an excerpt from John E. Peterson's book on the Kansas City Athletics (citing a New York Post report).Reading these two sources present an intriguing scenario. Noted Yankee toadie Arnold Johnson would move the Kansas City A's to Los Angeles, perhaps coordinating a move with the Sens/Twins. Since Peterson's book outlined the speculation date as after the Giants/Dodgers' move out west, I figured that the A's would move to LA while the Senators moved to Minnesota. Meanwhile, the AL would add expansion teams in DC and Houston (the Colts/the Continental League's Houston group). However, Johnson re-upped the Athletics' lease at Kansas City's Municipal Stadium and he died in 1960. Let's assume, for a moment, that the move went through. What would happen to the A's? 

The team would begin playing at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, before setting out to build a stadium in either Inglewood or Anaheim. Arnold Johnson would die a year later than he did in our timeline, with Charlie O. Finley buying the team and rebuilding them in his image (green/yellow, white cleats, etc.). The squad would go on to be the Swingin' A's, looking wild in comparison to the restrained Dodgers. It's a bit like what the Angels do, except with green/yellow replacing the red-heavy design. One of the most important fluctuations is that the team never adopted Forest Green or returned to cursive scripts (which appeared due to the Oakland team's different ownership), instead building upon and modernizing the Kelly/Yellow-Gold while emphasizing Old English text. 

The primary features the classic white elephant enclosed in a home plate shape, with "Los Angeles" at the top. The insignias include the "A's" mark and a new interlocking "LA."

sNWAbOR.png

The home and road uniform modify my alternate take for Philadelphia, albeit with a crest-style home uniform and arched Old English on the road set. The number font is off of my Reds concept, as I like the wider font to mix up the different A's designs (it also has precedence in the 1960s and '70s). Sock stripes exhibit a truncated Packers stripe, to keep the white and yellow from not touching.

hdEbIbk.png

The green alternates differentiate for each location, with the Old English "Athletics" on the home uniform. This set also has an "LA" cap, to slightly modernize their "initial LA" look (see the second set of special uniforms). The road alt features the A's insignia on the chest and the primary on the sleeve.

Z2kiGA6.png

The second set of alts feature a gold jersey and a throwback. The throwback is the 1955-60 Kansas  City  Athletics uniform, with a tiny modification for Los Angeles on the cap logo. This would be their pre-Charlie O. uniform, highlighting how "blah" the team was before he bought them.

YV4cmrU.png

The primary dugout jacket feature the Packers-style stripe on the trim, with the insignias and tertiary logo on it. The throwback features the vintage script, with the "LA" logo on the back and the elephant on the sleeve.

MBooUZj.pngqZeUEbB.png

This one isn't all that different from my previous Athletics concepts, but it features its own unique touches (arched Old English, striping, etc.). Since the A's will show up a lot in the series, I've got to do a lot to make them different each time. Here, they're the more colorful, Old English-embracing alternate to the Dodgers. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, Charlie O. heads south!

1John E. Peterson, The Kansas City Athletics: A Baseball History, 1954–1967 (Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 2012), 100.

Excellent work on the "What If?" Los Angeles Athletics identity package, especially with incorporating the Green Bay Packers stripes on the socks.

By the way, you had them listed in the AL East. Shouldn't they be in the AL West?

YOZXkBG.png?1

On 7/28/2018 at 8:54 PM, NicDB said:

The A's are the hardest team to make exciting in a series like this because their brand has always been very un-localized compared to other teams.

The only thing I can say here is I'd like to see the LA monogram more. I feel like being LA's first baseball team is something that might break them from their tendency to emphasize the A... but they still get to use an A.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:12 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

Love this A’s set. That road jersey is incredible, and the green “LA” cap is great. I really love what you’ve done with the A’s through the series. Overall love this set.

On 7/29/2018 at 3:51 AM, Whittier S said:

I want so much to like the Athletics uniform, but the arched Old English text feels so WordArt. That said, I get that you're rooting this in reality, and in reality, not all uniforms are spectacular.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:21 AM, coco1997 said:

Well worth the wait!

As much as I like this set, there's something kind of un-LA about a green and gold color scheme. I wonder how it would look if you added a touch of red, which would mimic the Los Angeles flag:

215px-Flag_of_Los_Angeles,_California.sv

On 7/29/2018 at 7:18 PM, JH42XCC said:

Excellent work on the "What If?" Los Angeles Athletics identity package, especially with incorporating the Green Bay Packers stripes on the socks.

By the way, you had them listed in the AL East. Shouldn't they be in the AL West?

Thanks for the C+C, guys! I have to admit, it was tough trying to get the A’s to work just right in LA. The presence of the Dodgers (my scenario has them moving in after the Dodgers, then heading off to Inglewood or Anaheim) eliminated the use of cursive scripts. I definitely needed an update on this one.

I’ve employed the script/Old English hybrid from my Philadelphia Athletics concept to replace arched Old English (thanks @Whittier S), while employing the “LA” logo more prominently on the road alt (thanks @NicDB).

zTiJGGI.png

C3YdI6P.png

ojCfhEe.png

qxMiblR.png

Also, per @coco1997‘s suggestion (thank you), here’s the green/yellow/red A’s! 

Hli5VjH.png

While I’m not as big on it, I must admit that it’s a good look.

Thanks for the C+C, I really appreciate it! The A’s southern voyage should be up soon (here’s a hint - it would complicate the second Senators’ relocation plans).

• Like 6