MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

I’ve been going through this, and oh my, it’s amazing. The Milwaukee White Sox, 90’s Nationals, and Indy Arrows have to be the peak of this thread. 

I’ve always felt like Indianapolis (biased) has always been a good candidate for relocation/expansion, but then you realize that is lodged between Chicago and Cincinnati. Can’t do anything about that.

I’ve felt like an Indiana White Sox concept would be nice to see, or maybe A’s. If there is one thing that I have learned, you can put Athletics in front of a location name and you can make some visually appealing concepts. 

Keep up the good work dude!

• Like 3

rAUPGPZ.png

12 minutes ago, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

I’ve felt like an Indiana White Sox concept would be nice to see, or maybe A’s.

Ah yes, that old White Sox to Indianapolis rumor that’s persisted for years. I don’t think there’s ever been any validity to it, but I certainly wouldn’t turn down another White Sox relocation concept from @SFGiants58😉

• Like 2

Wow, this is a lot to take in! I think you made the right call going with “Tarpons,” although “Twins” could translate well, you’re right that it seems too closely associated with Minnesota, especially in the navy/red scheme.

The red/orange variants are very nice as well, the orange pinstripes work wonderfully to truly give the “creamsicle” effect, I didn’t even realize the base color was white until I zoomed in. Maybe this idea is influenced the throwback Bucs a bit much, but it could be a nice look to have a white-crown cap paired with the orange alt. Well done!

• Like 1

TAMPA BAY CANNONS (former Texas Rangers) - Yeahmanthat'sFortBrookedangumSlateandScarlet, tellyawhat!

Tampa Bay Sweepstakes Intro

The next franchise in the lineup was the Texas Rangers. By 1988, the problems inherent in the glorified minor-league venue Turnpike/Arlington Stadium had become all too apparent. It's rinky-dink, built-on-speculation (and poorly expanded upon) construction provided little-to-no shade in the hot & humid Texas summers. The history of crummy ownership and poor play did not help matters (UrinatingTree provides the details here). Majority owner Eddie Chiles had fallen on hard times and ill health (Frank Morsani recalls being told that Chiles had Alzheimer's in Stadium for Rent and To Be Frank), which prompted him to sell the club. Morsani and the TBBG saw the perfect opportunity to get that team for the Tampa stadium.1

The TBBG (namely, Morsani and Bill Mack) hashed out a contract to buy Chiles' stake for $85 million, one which looked promising. Once again, the deal fell through due to complications from minority owners. Ed Gaylord, who owned 33% of the team, triggered his option to take a majority stake. While the other baseball owners (especially Jerry Reinsdorf) rejected it (due to Gaylord owning superstation KTVT), it scuttled Morsani & co.'s deal. The deal probably would have been rejected anyway, since Dallas/Ft. Worth is too valuable a market to lose, even though Morsani hinted at spurring on an expansion team to replace the Rangers.2

Meanwhile, AL President Bobby Brown (originally from Texas) and exiting Baseball Commissioner Peter Ueberroth helped to assemble a new ownership group headed by George W. Bush, Rusty Rose and Richard Rainwater. Said group swept in and bought the team for $79.3 million, leaving Morsani out in the cold again and further up financial fecal creek (having spent $500,000 on attorneys for the sale). This would spell the end of the Al Lopez Field site project.3 The Rangers would get a taxpayer-funded stadium to replace the glorified bowl of bleachers. but that's a rant for another day.

TL;DR: Rusty Shackleford as Frank Morsani, Puff-Puff as Ed Gaylor, and the falling cigarettes as the Bush/Rose/Rainwater ownership group.4

FeB8Tm8.gif

However, what if either deal went through, and the Rangers moved to Tampa? How would their identity adapt to the Gulf Coast?

Unlike "Twins" (which kind of works), "Rangers" really doesn't sound right in Tampa Bay. I wanted a name that kept with similar themes to the Rangers' identity, so I looked to the Rays' 2008 rebrand ideas for inspiration (citation in link). The name "Cannons" stood out, as it fit with the history of the region. The Tampa Bay area's growth started around the US Army outpost Fort Brooke, where it served as a valuable outpost in the Seminole Wars and the Civil War (for the Confederates - hey, the actual Texas Rangers have done questionable stuff as well). Heck, cannons from the fort remain on the University of Tampa campus:

Ft._Brooke_Cannon.jpg

It seemed like a local identity that would keep the ethos of the Rangers' moniker intact.5

I imported the slate blue from the Project 32 Rangers concept, alongside scarlet and gold. I carried over the Caniste Semibold from my Florida White Sox concept as the central font. The primary features a baseball roundel with the insignia in front of a diamond and crossed cannons. The insignia is the secondary, while a roundel with the crossed cannons is the tertiary.

6tYFhAJ.png

The home and road set go for a slate/scarlet co-dominant look (a la the 1972-82 Rangers), while also featuring red-billed caps (like the 1972-85 headwear). Thick sleeve and pants trim appears here, so that the set uses the whole color scheme. The socks use a similar pattern. Caniste numbers also appear here, as a display font felt more appropriate for an expansion team (rather than an Original 16 club like the White Sox) and the more modern arching style. The NOB's are one-color, for legibility. I also put the primary on the sleeves.

floXcme.png

The alternates include both scarlet and slate blue jerseys, with the blue shirt using the tertiary as a patch and the "Tampa Bay" wordmark (road wordmarks at home being a Rangers-esque touch).

v83f84S.png 

The second set of alternates features a red-crowned cap, along with matching belts, undershirts, and socks. I didn't want to pair them with the red jersey, for fear of it being too much red. The fauxback is my attempt to produce a 1963-67 Washington Senators-style jersey, albeit with the Cannons' name and color scheme. The cap logo comes from the Tarpons/Twins, with a few adjustments to bring it closer to the original Curly W. I re-used the font from my Sens MK II concept, for that extra touch of accuracy.

2zgeGkG.png

The jacket continues the co-dominant color scheme theme, with red sleeves and gold shoulder trim.

AYS5ylP.png

While the Rangers' name really wouldn't work in Tampa Bay, one could keep the spirit of it intact for the new locale. It also allows me to continue my theme of "what the Rays should have done in 1998 or 2008," building an identity with a more local flare. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, Morsani makes a final stand with TWO proposals for 1993 NL expansion teams. Here's a hint: one has a NHL name and the other has a MLS/NASL moniker.

1 Andrew Clem, “Clem’s Baseball ~ Arlington Stadium,” Clem’s Baseball, December 1, 2018, http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/ArlingtonStadium.html; Bob Andelman and Lori Parsells, Stadium For Rent: Tampa Bay’s Quest for Major League Baseball, 2nd edition (St. Petersburg, FL: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015), 55-57; Frank Morsani and Dave Scheiber, To Be Frank: Building the American Dream in Business and Life (Tampa, FL: BlackWood Books, 2015), 130-35.

2 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 58-59; Morsani and Dave Scheiber, To Be Frank, 133-36.
3 Clem, “Clem’s Baseball ~ Arlington Stadium,” Morsani and Dave Scheiber, To Be Frank, 131-136.

4 Author's note: King of the Hill never really specified whether or not Arlen was Rangers or Astros territory. I'd guess Rangers, if only because of Hank's derision at Boomhauer being a Texans fan.
5 Jonah Keri, “Chapter 7: The Exorcism,” in The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First (Bristol, CT: ESPN Books, 2011), 134; 

“The Establishment of Fort Brooke — FlaHQ 31:273‑278 (1953),” University of Chicago, accessed December 11, 2018, http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/America/United_States/Florida/_Texts/FlaHQ/31/The_Establishment_of_Fort_Brooke*.html; “Ft. Brooke Cannon - History of Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia,” accessed December 11, 2018, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tampa,_Florida#/media/File:Ft._Brooke_Cannon.jpg; “Fort Brooke - FortWiki Historic U.S. and Canadian Forts,” accessed December 10, 2018, http://www.fortwiki.com/Fort_Brooke. 

• Like 17

I gotta say, I really like the logos & wordmarks made for the Cannons, but I also prefer the red heavy set of the alternate over the slate blue kit for a Tampa Bay team. What would red undershirts look like on the road and with the red & blue alternates, respectively? I feel like this is kinda like the Indians current look, where the jersey could pop really well with either blue or red undershirts, I just have a feeling the red would look better. Either way, this set is definitely a winner. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

The twins, new tarpons and cannons, have been some of the best concepts you’ve made in this series yet. And I much prefer the red and orange for tarpons. Also the font works much better for the cannons than Sox, gives off a circus-y vibe like circus cannons. The blue jersey is my favorite of the bunch!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 12/11/2018 at 3:38 AM, SFGiants58 said:

TAMPA BAY CANNONS (former Texas Rangers) - Yeahmanthat'sFortBrookedangumSlateandScarlet, tellyawhat!

The next franchise in the lineup was the Texas Rangers. By 1988, the problems inherent in the glorified minor-league venue Turnpike/Arlington Stadium had become all too apparent. It's rinky-dink, built-on-speculation (and poorly expanded upon) construction provided little-to-no shade in the hot & humid Texas summers. The history of crummy ownership and poor play did not help matters (UrinatingTree provides the details here). Majority owner Eddie Chiles had fallen on hard times and ill health (Frank Morsani recalls being told that Chiles had Alzheimer's in Stadium for Rent and To Be Frank), which prompted him to sell the club. Morsani and the TBBG saw the perfect opportunity to get that team for the Tampa stadium.1

The TBBG (namely, Morsani and Bill Mack) hashed out a contract to buy Chiles' stake for $85 million, one which looked promising. Once again, the deal fell through due to complications from minority owners. Ed Gaylord, who owned 33% of the team, triggered his option to take a majority stake. While the other baseball owners (especially Jerry Reinsdorf) rejected it (due to Gaylord owning superstation KTVT), it scuttled Morsani & co.'s deal. The deal probably would have been rejected anyway, since Dallas/Ft. Worth is too valuable a market to lose, even though Morsani hinted at spurring on an expansion team to replace the Rangers.2

Meanwhile, AL President Bobby Brown (originally from Texas) and exiting Baseball Commissioner Peter Ueberroth helped to assemble a new ownership group headed by George W. Bush, Rusty Rose and Richard Rainwater. Said group swept in and bought the team for $79.3 million, leaving Morsani out in the cold again and further up financial fecal creek (having spent $500,000 on attorneys for the sale). This would spell the end of the Al Lopez Field site project.3 The Rangers would get a taxpayer-funded stadium to replace the glorified bowl of bleachers. but that's a rant for another day.

However, what if either deal went through, and the Rangers moved to Tampa? How would their identity adapt to the Gulf Coast?

"You get a new savior as owner; George W. Bush. Dubya! That's a heck of a lot better than moving to Tampa Bay."

Also, this Morsani guy is totally trying to give Crazy Charlie O. and his constant identity crisis a run for his money.

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

On 12/10/2018 at 6:14 PM, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

I’ve been going through this, and oh my, it’s amazing. The Milwaukee White Sox, 90’s Nationals, and Indy Arrows have to be the peak of this thread. 

I’ve always felt like Indianapolis (biased) has always been a good candidate for relocation/expansion, but then you realize that is lodged between Chicago and Cincinnati. Can’t do anything about that.

I’ve felt like an Indiana White Sox concept would be nice to see, or maybe A’s. If there is one thing that I have learned, you can put Athletics in front of a location name and you can make some visually appealing concepts. 

Keep up the good work dude!

Thanks! I never found any credible evidence that White Sox to Indianapolis was a credible rumor, but I'd definitely consider doing it when the time comes (for funsies). I'd probably do the whole black/red deal with them, with a region-appropriate city script/insignia.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:09 PM, MJD7 said:

Wow, this is a lot to take in! I think you made the right call going with “Tarpons,” although “Twins” could translate well, you’re right that it seems too closely associated with Minnesota, especially in the navy/red scheme.

The red/orange variants are very nice as well, the orange pinstripes work wonderfully to truly give the “creamsicle” effect, I didn’t even realize the base color was white until I zoomed in. Maybe this idea is influenced the throwback Bucs a bit much, but it could be a nice look to have a white-crown cap paired with the orange alt. Well done!

Thanks! I'm rather fond of the orange pinstripes, as they provide a modern twist on a traditional design convention. The white-crown looks pretty good.

Nf0yq5Q.png

On 12/11/2018 at 6:39 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

I gotta say, I really like the logos & wordmarks made for the Cannons, but I also prefer the red heavy set of the alternate over the slate blue kit for a Tampa Bay team. What would red undershirts look like on the road and with the red & blue alternates, respectively? I feel like this is kinda like the Indians current look, where the jersey could pop really well with either blue or red undershirts, I just have a feeling the red would look better. Either way, this set is definitely a winner. 

Thanks! The whole point of the set was that it could work with a slate-crowned/red-billed cap or an all-red cap. It does look pretty solid with a red cap:

LbpPvF8.png

I prefer slate with a red bill, as it's more unique within the AL and fits more with the "military fort" theme. Still, it's a strong alternate look.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:56 PM, MBurmy said:

"Tammy & Pete" ROCK!

On 12/11/2018 at 12:33 PM, coco1997 said:

Beautiful work as always! 

On 12/11/2018 at 7:06 PM, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

Cannons name is very nice, concept looking solid as usual!

On 12/12/2018 at 6:40 AM, BellaSpurs said:

The twins, new tarpons and cannons, have been some of the best concepts you’ve made in this series yet. And I much prefer the red and orange for tarpons. Also the font works much better for the cannons than Sox, gives off a circus-y vibe like circus cannons. The blue jersey is my favorite of the bunch!

Thanks!

On 12/12/2018 at 11:24 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

"You get a new savior as owner; George W. Bush. Dubya! That's a heck of a lot better than moving to Tampa Bay."

Also, this Morsani guy is totally trying to give Crazy Charlie O. and his constant identity crisis a run for his money.

Morsani was one of the big money people behind bringing a team to Tampa Bay, looking for any and all opportunities to get in on the action. You kind of feel sorry for the guy by the end of the story, as he faces bankruptcy problems once his expansion group fails. 

On 12/12/2018 at 11:43 AM, raysox said:

Oh that script is phonomenal, really well done concept!

Also I want to be mad that you stole my Tam and Pete logo idea that I never finished but I think I'm gonna just have to deal😅

Thanks!

On 12/14/2018 at 8:02 AM, HereComesThax said:

I just happen to find this thread in the middle of the Sweepstakes...... pain is an understatement. They still look awesome!

Thanks! I was hoping a Tampa Bay Area resident who was alive during the time would post here. The whole thing must have felt like getting pummeled by a Muay Thai champ for the better part of a decade. I'll get into it for the final post, but I maintain that the shell game really hurt baseball's standing in the market.

On 12/15/2018 at 11:24 PM, appleclock said:

It’s probably the colors more than anything, but this brings back memories of the old Calgary Cannons. I was lucky to grow up in Alberta in the 90s when they had some serious top class AAA action going on up there. Those were glory years for baseball in Canada. Nice work as always!

Thanks! The Calgary Cannons had a pretty strong look, so I'm glad my concept reminded you of them.

The first of the two expansion teams should be up soon!

• Like 3

FLORIDA PANTHERS, PT. I - Morsani's green and gold grasp at expansion

This was Frank Morsani’s final stand. After the failure of the Rangers purchase, he triggered the National League’s interest in expansion in 1990. He set about turning the Tampa Bay Baseball Group towards expansion, branding themselves as the “Florida Panthers.” The team would play in the Suncoast Dome, giving in to the pressure to use the poorly-located, taxpayer-funded white elephant. Morsani also restructured of the group once he realized that Bill Mack’s deep pockets wouldn’t cover the group’s many expenses (e.g., demolishing Al Lopez Stadium, renting the Tampa land, paying for offices, etc.). Businessmen Mark Bostick and Lance Ringhaver agreed to take Mack’s place. While it brought a bit more stability, they did lose Mack’s baseball connections.1 

The group went into the expansion meetings, competing with groups from all over the country, including two others in the Tampa Bay Area (the Schur/Porter/Kohl partnership – detailed more in the next post – and a team headed up by Sarasota-based businessman Tom Hammonds, Hawk Harrelson, and Don Drysdale – which never received serious consideration).
After making their presentations in New York to the NL expansion committee on September 28, 1990, Morsani and his partners came away confident. Said confidence died on December 18, 1990, when the NL announced that six cities made the cut: Denver, Miami, Buffalo, Orlando, Washington, and the Schur/Porter/Kohl group in Tampa Bay. Morsani had made a valiant final effort, only to find himself betrayed by baseball again. He would soon file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, while also mourning the death of his baseball insider, Cedric Tallis, from a series of heart attacks. Frank Morsani would sell the trademark for the name “Florida Panthers” to Wayne Huizenga.2

TL;DR: Shinji Ikari as Morsani and the many faces and visions flashing over him as the mental trauma of his attempts to get a baseball team, one that basically killed a close friend of his:

tenor.gif?itemid=7304330

The National League (and Major League Baseball as a whole) denied Morsani’s group for several reasons, most notable among them being:

1. Morsani was facing publicized lawsuits from two Tampa Bay Area banks for defaulting on sizable loans. Morsani had been paying many expenses out of his personal pocket, weakening his financial state (losing $3-million of his fortune on “baseball expenses”). Bostick and Ringhaver didn’t have that same “wow” factor/financial standing as Bill Mack.

2. The Schur/Porter/Kohl group had far more money. Among their group was Roy Disney, Walt’s nephew, who was worth about $660-million. Sidney and Allen Kohl also had a sizeable fortune to back themselves from their Wisconsin supermarket chain. While they did not have the same local connections as Morsani, they were more financially solvent. 
While the TBBG did get screwed over by baseball’s owners and the expansion committee, Morsani wasn’t exactly going to be the best position to lead an ownership group. I’ll get into the details of it more the Tampa Bay Sweepstakes wrap-up, but the tale of the TBBG is one of the most disheartening stories of failed expansion, especially with the potential for a privately-funded stadium in a better location and deep local connection.3

So, this is a baseball concept series, yes? Well, let’s get to the concept! What if Bill Mack footed the bills to avert Morsani’s financial mess? What if the Panthers came to be?

X8JJ5uD.png

The above is from the Kindle edition of Stadium for Rent - seriously, go read this book when you have the time.4

Morsani created a design with green/yellow color scheme. However, I expect that MLB Properties would point out that the A’s might have an issue with another team adopting their color scheme. I figured that they’d convince Morsani to employ metallic gold instead of yellow. Morsani, who would later become a big-time booster at the University of South Florida, would probably be thrilled with the proposition. Red would be a minor accent color.5

Much like the Rockies and Marlins, Phoenix Design Works would handle the designs. They would create a mark akin to the 1994-present Detroit Tigers’ head logo. I wanted to repurpose the NHL Panthers’ design (since Huizenga wouldn’t own the name), with enough adjustments to make it fit within the Phoenix Design Works’ style. The “JetBlue” panther head provided the base, one that I tweaked to include bits of the 1993 “electrocuted” panther (taller eyes, whiskers, and curved fur bits at the bottom of the jaw). Here is a comparison:

IgvgHa2.png

The logo sheet features two roundels, which include a primary with the team/city name and a tertiary with the state outline and the cap logo (pointing to Tampa Bay). The secondaries include the cap logo (an “F” with claw marks) and the solo panther. Albertus Medium is the base font, with a few modifications. Glyphic serifs make for fantastic “claw mark” simulations.

EDIT: The tertiary is now the panther head on its own, per @coco1997's suggestion. The first image is here.

zElCVd7.png

The uniforms use the same template as the 1993-2002 Marlins, with a pinstriped home uniform, double-outlined wordmarks/lettering, nameplates, and thick cuffs on the road uniform. I tried to imitate the Marlins’ old wordmark, albeit less messy and without that “s-tail.” The primary is on the sleeve, while the cap logo appears on the socks. 

YQESlVT.png

The alternates include a vest and a green jersey. The green jersey features the panther on its own, along with a metallic gold bill. Original image, with the first tertiary on the vest's sleeve, is here.

hG29WTK.png

Outerwear features the claw mark pattern on the gold sleeves, for an exceptionally-bold look. Original image here.

AWXohI6.png

The Florida Panthers could have had a strong identity within the confines of the era’s aesthetic conventions. But how would I spin the design to fit with my tastes? That post will be coming later today!

1 Bob Andelman and Lori Parsells, Stadium For Rent: Tampa Bay’s Quest for Major League Baseball, 2nd edition (St. Petersburg, FL: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015), 156–60, 168; Bruce Lowitt and Kenneth S. Allen, “Is the Cat out of the Bag? - Morsani Team Would Be Florida Panthers,” Tampa Bay Times, April 12, 1990, sec. Sports; Frank Morsani and Dave Scheiber, To Be Frank: Building the American Dream in Business and Life (Tampa, FL: BlackWood Books, 2015), 136–38.

2 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, chaps. 12 "The Pitch"-13 "Happy Holidays, Mr. Morsani"; Marc Topkin and Karl Vick, “Tampa Bay Makes Its Pitch,” Tampa Bay Times, September 29, 1990, sec. National; Marc Topkin, “Tampa Bay Group Signs Merchandising Agreement,” Tampa Bay Times, May 25, 1991, sec. Sports.

3 Morsani and Scheiber, To Be Frank, 146–51.

4 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 189.

5 Morsani and Scheiber, To Be Frank, 146–51.

As for the other expansion group, we'll see soon enough.

Edited by SFGiants58
Removed the state outline logo and added intro piece.
  • Like 13

The dugout jacket is the best thing about this set. The two tones for the jacket, with the faux claw marks makes it look visually distinctive, and very eye-catching and appealing.

The tale of Tampa Bay Baseball Group can be summed up in one meme.

c86.png

Right being Morsani and the TBBG

Left being; well, not TBBG, and the eventual choice

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Oh man, the Panthers are totally ‘90s in the best way possible! The colors, the primary and the secondary logos are all excellent. 

The only part that doesn’t work for me is the tertiary logo. It just looks like a couple disparate ideas (the state outline, panther face and “F” logo) floating together. I think you could simplify the logo or just drop it altogether and the concept wouldn’t suffer for it.

Pumped for the next expansion team!

• Like 1

I like it. I've wanted a team in dark green pinstripes. I like the scripts, but the partial underline feels like a Twins trademark, and I wonder whether that would fly.

The primary reminds me of the Kane County Cougars logo, at least the one I grew up with:

kane-county-cougars-logo-300x225.png

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The dugout jacket is the best thing about this set. The two tones for the jacket, with the faux claw marks makes it look visually distinctive, and very eye-catching and appealing.

The tale of Tampa Bay Baseball Group can be summed up in one meme.

c86.png

Right being Morsani and the TBBG

Left being; well, not TBBG, and the eventual choice

Thanks! I really enjoyed designing that jacket and the claw pattern.

That’s a good Top Gear meme. I’d also argue that one could sum up Morsani’s bid (and the other Tampa Bay bids):

8K2EFjC.png

Richard’s 924 is the Hammons bid (never given any serious consideration, underpowered, odd), Jezza’s 928 is Morsani and the TBBG (ambitious and a former favorite, but fallen on hard times and reduced in value by “problems”), and Captain Slow’s 944is the Schur/Porter/Kohl Brothers’ group (looks outwardly like the best option for performance and the league, but hiding deeper problems).

I miss 2002-14 Top Gear.

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Oh man, the Panthers are totally ‘90s in the best way possible! The colors, the primary and the secondary logos are all excellent. 

The only part that doesn’t work for me is the tertiary logo. It just looks like a couple disparate ideas (the state outline, panther face and “F” logo) floating together. I think you could simplify the logo or just drop it altogether and the concept wouldn’t suffer for it.

Pumped for the next expansion team!

Thanks! You’re right about the tertiary, which is why I excised it in the update. The solo panther head is way better.

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

I like it. I've wanted a team in dark green pinstripes. I like the scripts, but the partial underline feels like a Twins trademark, and I wonder whether that would fly.

The primary reminds me of the Kane County Cougars logo, at least the one I grew up with:

kane-county-cougars-logo-300x225.png

Thanks! Dark green pinstripes (which I also did for a Chicago A’s and my Twin Cities Twins concepts) look fantastic. The dark green/metallic gold look gives me shades of this:

51acff9fb52d56f6df0965ddeeb9382ex.jpg?im

Of course, I doubt Jagūar (that's how you pronounce it, 'Muricans)/Ford PAG would have sued with a looser resemblance than the Jacksonville Jags.

I don’t think that the underline would be too much of a problem for the team. The color scheme is entirely different from the Twins, while the Twins’ mixed-case rounded slab-serif font bears no resemblance to Albertus. It’s no different than I also believe that it’s a cleaner way to handle how the Florida/Broward County Marlins’ handled their script tails. 

I didn’t know about the Cougars’ logo. I definitely can see the resemblance, albeit with mine having a repurposed NHL Panther as the centerpiece.

37 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Assuming Tampa replaces Miami in that timeline, would Miami get a team later down the line, or Do the Florida Marlins just start off as the Miami Marlins

The Miami team would probably exist, either by expansion or relocation. Wayne “Captain Video” Huizenga was making his way through baseball’s owners and leading the charge for Miami baseball. He gets his Miami or “South Florida” team no matter what.

I figured that the South Florida NHL team would adopt a different name, maybe one that doesn’t use a state name or employs a “South Florida” identifier (as he was prone to like, see my Florida Flamingos concept for more info). 

• Like 1