MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

The TB Mariners look fantastic! The navy/gold scheme works really well, and I really like the trident stripe on the pants. I've always been fascinated by Nintendo's ownership of the Mariners (being a massive Nintendo fan), and while it wouldn't work for this series, I wonder what the M's would look like had Nintendo done more to remake them in their image, maybe even a rebrand to represent Seattle's tech industry, with Nintendo at the forefront.

• Like 4

the user formerly known as cdclt

The Tampa Bay Mariners look nice! I love the scripts and the jacket in particular. Navy & athletic gold probably makes the most sense for the team, though I’d wonder how it would look using a more “yellow” shade that the Rays currently use (which the Mariners also used to use, PMS 116 C).

Also, I think making the road tinted powder blue could help improve the look (and it would have precedence in the histories of both teams), right now the road just looks a little too “warm,” if that makes sense. Regardless, this is a wonderful job as always!

• Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 10:33 AM, coco1997 said:

Nice job, and worth the wait as always! The logos and scripts all look strong. I love the shoulder stripes on the dugout jacket! 

I am curious how the set would look in the M's' original blue and gold, as that would feel more "Mariners" in my opinion. 

Thanks! I don’t like it as much as my double teal Seattle Mariners concept, but I think the identity made the translation pretty well.

As for royal/yellow;

inIPsRu.png

hQ7oZ8L.png

CAP3sjt.png

ACC71p1.png

WukN5Qh.png

It definitely softens the “naval academy” feeling that @Dalcowboyfan92 noted. I like it!

On 12/30/2018 at 12:13 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

The TB Mariners look fantastic! The navy/gold scheme works really well, and I really like the trident stripe on the pants. I've always been fascinated by Nintendo's ownership of the Mariners (being a massive Nintendo fan), and while it wouldn't work for this series, I wonder what the M's would look like had Nintendo done more to remake them in their image, maybe even a rebrand to represent Seattle's tech industry, with Nintendo at the forefront.

Thank you! I’ll have to look into a Nintendo-styled look. Maybe it’d involve influences from the company’s history or some Japanese cultural hints (but subtle). I would probably keep the Mariners’ Friz Quadrata for the main font, since it does vaguely look like Zelda font.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:45 PM, MJD7 said:

The Tampa Bay Mariners look nice! I love the scripts and the jacket in particular. Navy & athletic gold probably makes the most sense for the team, though I’d wonder how it would look using a more “yellow” shade that the Rays currently use (which the Mariners also used to use, PMS 116 C).

Also, I think making the road tinted powder blue could help improve the look (and it would have precedence in the histories of both teams), right now the road just looks a little too “warm,” if that makes sense. Regardless, this is a wonderful job as always!

Thank you! The lighter yellow looks pretty good on the set, but I prefer the athletic gold.

CseiEDh.png

As for the powder-tinted grey, I can’t believe I didn’t think of that! I adjusted the original post accordingly. Thanks.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:53 PM, HereComesThax said:

TBH, i am a HUGE Nintendo nerd. but them destroying the Tampa Bay Mariners is the one thing i hate.

EDIT: I digress though, the unis look awesome, as usual!

Thanks. A lot of people found themselves disappointed in the whole matter. Just wait until you get to the Tampa Bay Giants, or boy!

On 12/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, Jimmy Lethal said:

The anti-Japanese sentiment is kind of hilarious when you consider the Mariners' only sustained period of relevance came under Nintendo's ownership.

Oh, completely. But as @neo_prankster hinted at, the 1980s/early-1990s were the post-WWII peak of Japanophobia in the country, due to fears of economic competition and various anti-American statements from prominent Japanese officials about American workers (calling them “lazy” and “shoddy”). It was a legit fear, born of nativism, economic competition, and misapplication of “American exceptionalism.” The 1990/91 recession really exacerbated it.

Man, the triple whammy of the bubble bursting/Great Hanshin Earthquake/the Aum Shinrikyo death cult’s sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway system (that last one is a really crazy and depressing story) did a number on Japan.

As for Nintendo buying the Mariners, I’m just happy it wasn’t Sega doing it. Imagine how the Mariners would have figured into the brawl between the company’s Japanese and American branches.

23 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Wasn't there a bit of a collective temper tantrum when Sony bought Columbia Pictures in 1989?

Any way you slice it, Nintendo's purchase of the M's was probably the best thing to happen for that franchise.

Either way, nice job on the Tampa Bay Mariners.

I think that there was definitely uproar, and I’d agree with that assessment of Nintendo’s ownership. They took a footnote of a franchise and made them a premier squad (albeit for a short time) that found its way to a proper baseball stadium. Smulyan commented that:

“It’s a dilemma. If there was ever a city that needed a retractable roof it’s Seattle, but nobody in Seattle is going to commit the economic resources to a $400-million ballpark.” (Andelman and Parsells 278)

It seems like he was right. Now, if only they could make it back to the playoffs...

Thanks! I liked this concept.

17 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

These look incredible, but now you've left me curious and wondering what the Navy & Gold era Tampa Mariners would've looked like. 

Thanks. That’ll be a fun experiment for me a little further down the line. I’m thinking the Islanders’ Fisherman set, but with metallic gold replacing orange and light blue taking teal’s role. 

12 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I'm getting a very heavy Naval Academy vibe from the Tampa Bay Mariners. Doesn't mean it's bad, it's just that it feels like you could tweak this to be associated with Navy, and jo one would bat an eyelash.

Thank you! I could totally see that as I was designing it. It’s a bit like what the Seattle Pilots did, albeit a bit less subtle. However, my font choice and use of perspective in the anchor give it enough separation for me.

10 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Man that TB Mariners set is nice.  I always thought that a navy and gold set for the Rays when they rebranded in 2008 wouldve been perfect.

Thanks! Navy/Gold would be pretty good for them, but I’m a bit more of a powder-friendly guy.

The San José Giants (yes, with an accent) should be up later today!

Edited by SFGiants58
  • Like 7

SAN JOSÉ GIANTS - Dost thou know the way to San José?

IeS6uS6.gif

Earlier in this thread, we saw how Candlestick Park’s innumerable problems with frigid winds and poor construction had kept fans away. Well, none of that changed under the San Francisco Giants new owner, Bob Lurie. He tried to enhance the stadium in small ways (e.g., improving the stadium experience and doing promotions), but nothing took. The Giants’ record didn’t help, as they spent most of Lurie’s tenure near the bottom (734-834 in between 1976-1985, with the high point being two third-place finishes).While things improved under manager Roger Craig and the core of Will Clark/Matt Williams, the team’s attendance still suffered, with the 1989 NL Pennant season being the only year the team eclipsed 2,000,000 fans.2

Lurie and city officials tried several paths to improve their stadium situation. Proposals included renovating/doming Candlestick and playing games in Oakland, but these were mostly rejected, along with offers to build a privately-funded venue or move the team.3

San Francisco also held two stadium referendums. Proposition W in 1987 outlined a stadium at Seventh and Townsend Streets, but lost by 11,000 votes. Proposition P in 1989, for a Second and Berry Streets venue (where AT&T Willie Mays Park is now), faced poor publicity because it redirected funds and proposed using public money on a venue immediately after the Loma Prieta earthquake. It lost by 1,974 votes.4

Santa Clara County then tried to lure the team. In 1990, county officials proposed a stadium built for $153 million (funded by a 1% utility tax hike) and seating 42,000 at a site adjacent to the Great America amusement park (the Levi’s Stadium site). It lost by about 3,000 votes, but it got the attention of San José’s new mayor, Susan Hammer.5

EeBuzqM.jpg SJ2.jpg

(Bob Lurie and Mayor Susan Hammer at the press conference announcing the stadium plan, along with a rendering of the park.)6

Mayor Hammer reached out to Lurie to get the ball rolling on a San José stadium. She, along with her commission, proposed a 48,000 seat, $185 million (using $155 million in public money) park on a 154-acre site (south of Highway 237 near Tasman Drive and Zanker Road). The stadium would open in 1996, while the team would change their name to the San José Giants upon moving.7

With Commissioner Fay Vincent’s approval, the Giants and the city went all-in on the “Measure G” referendum, spending about $2.1 million ($1.1 on the election/player promotions and $1 million on stadium consulting). Meanwhile, the group Citizens Against the Stadium only spent $13,000. Local companies, such as IBM, joined them in opposing the measure. Hammer inadvertently helped the anti-stadium forces by packaging the stadium alongside $130 million in school and public safety funds, which made the stadium cost look inflated (over $200 million). It also provided bad optics, what with using education to cover for buying Lurie a stadium. The election on June 2, 1992 saw “Measure G” fail miserably, with 78,809 for and 94,466 against. Lurie motioned to sell the team after the loss.8

TL;DR: Makintano as Measure G, Hiei as Citizens Against the Stadium.

DTC89KJ.gif

While I probably would still have grown up to be a Giants fan, the long-term effects of moving to the South Bay would probably be akin to the 49ers troubles at Levi’s Stadium. It would alienate sizeable chunks of the fanbase, reducing both gate revenues and free agent marketability. I doubt Barry Bonds becomes a Giant with Lurie at the helm in Santa Clara County. But what if the Giants went full Jed York, with Lurie getting Hammer’s constituents to pay for a stadium? Well, let’s find out!

With the name, I chose to use the accent over the e in San José. My reasoning is that the press conference banner features an accented e, the city adopted it on their seal and official name, and I’d rather not mess with a Spanish-language noun.9

I figured that the team would hire the same studio that designed the 2000-present identity for a neo-retro aesthetic. However, I ditched crème and no-NOB home uniforms, as it didn’t fit for a San José (read: newer) team as much as it did at Willie Mays Park.

The primary logo features a new definition for the nickname – the “Giant” mountains surrounding the city, namely Mount Hamilton and the Santa Cruz Mountains. In front of them are several of San José’s tallest buildings in 1996. These are (L-R): the Bank of Italy Building, 60 South Market, the Fairmont Plaza, the Fairmont Hotel, and 160 West Santa Clara. The secondary is an interlocking “SJ.” The California League team’s interlocking logo didn’t fit with my design and attempts to render that interlock in the Giants/Pirates font looked terrible. I also stumbled on a description of the team’s proposed designs, but I didn’t enjoy that direction. The tertiary features the cap logo and the three founding dates (creation in New York, move out west, move to San José).

EDIT: I replaced my cap logo design with a modified version of the California League San José Giants' insignia. I've added the serifs from the Giants/Pirates font, so that it doesn't look out-of-place (one design rule being that cap logo lettering should match the typeface as closely as possible, save for cursive scripts). Here is a comparison, and here is the original logo sheet. Thanks, @coco1997 for the suggestion!

a7UIJcW.png

The uniforms feature the same template as the modern Giants, but with a Northwestern stripe on the socks (to mix things up). The “San José” wordmark uses modified Ocean Beach Major, as it’s short enough to be legible. Scripts are on an arc, to invoke the wide mountains. The primary logo is on the sleeves. My original cap logo variant is is in the link..

M4TViQO.png

The alternates include both orange and black jerseys, with an orange-billed cap on the home alt and the tertiary logo/Northwestern Stripes on the road alt’s sleeves. The original version is in the link.

pj5Um09.png

The second set of alternates includes an orange-billed cap for the home uniform and the 1933 New York baseball Giants’ uniform. I reasoned that the team would still play up their New York heritage. The original image is linked here.

DK2uQTd.png

Outerwear includes a jacket with a western-style “San José” script (rendered in Herchey Script) and the throwback piece from Project 32's design. The original primary jacket is within this link.

74AKKBD.png 3rFKNn2.png

The Giants could have had an excellent neo-retro look in San José. However, Jed York-ing the team would have posed a problem in the long run and Willie Mays Park is better than any of the proposed plans that Lurie drew up.

These two flirtations with Santa Clara did have an interesting impact on the future of SF Bay Area baseball. The A’s owner, Walter Haas, gave permission for the team to move to Santa Clara during the 1990 vote, allowing the Giants to declare it as their territory.10 This certainly wouldn’t come back to bite the A’s in the ass, that’s for sure!

C+C is appreciated, as always! Up next, the Giants enter the Tampa Bay Sweepstakes!

1 Bob Andelman and Lori Parsells, Stadium For Rent: Tampa Bay’s Quest for Major League Baseball, 2nd edition (St. Petersburg, FL: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015), 319–21; Robert F. Garratt, Home Team: The Turbulent History of the San Francisco Giants (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2017), 121.

2 “San Francisco Giants Team History & Encyclopedia | Baseball-Reference.Com,” Baseball-Reference.com, accessed January 1, 2019, https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SFG/index.shtml.

3 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 321; Garratt, Home Team, 139–41.

4 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 322; Garratt, Home Team, 141–45; Eric Okurowski, “StadiumPage.Com - Pre-PacBell China Basin Concepts,” accessed January 1, 2019, http://www.stadiumpage.com/concepts/PrePBP_R.html.

5 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 322; Garratt, Home Team, 145–47.

6 Jon Becker, “Remembering Giants Fans’ Nightmare 25 Years Ago,” The Mercury News (blog), August 7, 2017, https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/07/remembering-giants-fans-nightmare-25-years-ago/; Eric Okurowski, “StadiumPage.Com - 1992 San Jose Concept,” accessed January 1, 2019, http://www.stadiumpage.com/concepts/SanJose92_R.html.

7 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 324; David Dietz, “Team Would Move From Candlestick in 1996 - San Jose Voters Still Must OK Spending for Stadium,” San Francisco Chronicle, January 16, 1992, sec. News.

8 Andelman and Parsells, 324–26; Garratt, Home Team, 147–48.

City of San José, “City of San José Style Guide,” July 2000, https://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/40634#page=21.

10 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 324–26; Garratt, Home Team, 147–48.

Edited by SFGiants58
I updated the cap insignia.
  • Like 12

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - San José Giants Added

It's a tiny detail, but I appreciate the use of the accent and wish that were the prevailing style in the NHL with Montréal and one day Québec. Unfortunately, I can't practice what I preach because I don't use Macs and Windows wants me to do some sort of contortionist act just to stick a goddamn diacritic on a letter.

I especially like the dugout jacket script and the road script, which matches the home here in a way it couldn't with San Francisco. Are the sock stripes a tribute to the Giants' Northwestern stripes from the '80s? Either way, it's a nice touch and adds just enough orange while still keeping them a black-dominant team as they should be. The primary has Anonymous Skyline Syndrome, but I understand feeling like you had to do something more than the bare minimum.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The “SJ” monogram doesn’t really work for me, and I feel like I can’t properly articulate how to fix it. I wonder if you’d consider just promoting the actual San Jose Giants cap logo to the Majors, as it’s pretty fantastic.

san-jose-giants-cap-logo-2-primary.jpg

Maybe make a version in black with an orange stroke for the secondary logo? I know you said the logo didn’t fit with the rest of the design, but I don’t think that should stop you from using it. 

P.S. I love the TB Mariners in royal and gold!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's a tiny detail, but I appreciate the use of the accent and wish that were the prevailing style in the NHL with Montréal and one day Québec. Unfortunately, I can't practice what I preach because I don't use Macs and Windows wants me to do some sort of contortionist act just to stick a goddamn diacritic on a letter.

I especially like the dugout jacket script and the road script, which matches the home here in a way it couldn't with San Francisco. Are the sock stripes a tribute to the Giants' Northwestern stripes from the '80s? Either way, it's a nice touch and adds just enough orange while still keeping them a black-dominant team as they should be. The primary has Anonymous Skyline Syndrome, but I understand feeling like you had to do something more than the bare minimum.

Thanks! I really wish the Sharks would use the accent in their name, but they spent their accent mark money on Joe Thornton's latest deal.

As a fellow PC user, I too get frustrated with applying diacritics. I usually just keep diacritic letters on my clipboard to paste them. 

Yes, the sock stripes are a bit of a tribute to the 1983-93 striping. It's a nice way to subtly acknowledge that set, especially since it was Bob Lurie's set. I get where you're coming from with the primary, but the mountains (read: tall hills) alone looked too dull.

6 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I cant help but see SU not SJ. Otherwise, its pretty good. Although the skyline and mountain on the logo seems redundant. The tertiary logo would be much better as primary. imo.

Thanks. I corrected the SJ in this latest update. I'd argue that its the tertiary that's a bit more redundant, given that it doesn't depict the nickname (the mountains/skyline). Still, I see where you're coming from on that one.

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The “SJ” monogram doesn’t really work for me, and I feel like I can’t properly articulate how to fix it. I wonder if you’d consider just promoting the actual San Jose Giants cap logo to the Majors, as it’s pretty fantastic.

san-jose-giants-cap-logo-2-primary.jpg

Maybe make a version in black with an orange stroke for the secondary logo? I know you said the logo didn’t fit with the rest of the design, but I don’t think that should stop you from using it. 

P.S. I love the TB Mariners in royal and gold!

Thank you! The big reason why I didn't just use the Class-A San José Giants' cap logo was that the font was entirely different from the team's "signature" typeface. Of course, trying to imitate the Class-A insignia in said signature font looked like ass. So, I opted for a compromise. This one uses the "S" and "J" curvature from the California League team's logo, but features the Giants/Pirates font's serifs.

8Wg5k04.png

That way, the insignia fits better with the typeface, while also using a stronger interlock and reading as "SJ" instead of "SU." I've updated the original concept to reflect the new insignia. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by SFGiants58
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, Jimmy Lethal said:

The anti-Japanese sentiment is kind of hilarious when you consider the Mariners' only sustained period of relevance came under Nintendo's ownership.

And one of their all-time greats was Japanese.

• Like 1

rATMcmK.png

21 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Would San Jose work as a major league baseball town? I mean, you'd have a strong Giants fanbase there, being not too far from San Francisco and all, but it feels a little weird to me.

The San Francisco Giants of San Jose baby!!!

• Like 2

It's Me

24 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The San Francisco Giants of San Jose Bay Area. Move over, Anaheim! We have a new competitor in town!

If the A’s move out they’ll have to rename the team the San Francisco-Oakland Giants of San Jose.

rAUPGPZ.png