MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

"L.A. gets the A's, Milwaukee gets the A's...EVERYBODY GETS THE A'S!!!!"

Image result for oprah you get a car gif

Seriously, this is awesome. I love the Swingin' Stomper! I also really like the idea that all three major sports franchises in Wisconsin would (sort of) match. The only thing I'm not feeling is the Old English "M." It kind of looks like two "H's" mashed together. How about something like this?

502963%5B5%5D.jpg

Sounds like we're getting the Seattle A's next. Can't wait! 

• Like 6

On 8/26/2018 at 12:20 AM, vtgco said:

Geez, this guy sure was chomping at the bit to get out of KC.

I agree that Georgia red (or Georgia Tech gold or a peach color or even BFBS ala 2000s A's) would've been nice for Atlanta. However, you did a good job with the colors as is. The phoenix is a nice local touch, as is the "A" instead of "A's." I'd go with the name roundel-style around the baseball rather than on top, though.

Milwaukee is great! I love the cartoon, Owgust-esque Stomper! The Wisconsin logo works well, and the colors are perfect to go with the Packers and Bucks. Only wish is for a Milwaukee cream home jersey...

If you're doing the Seattle A's (ewwww gross) next, I'd like to see kelly + white only, with no yellow!

Sorry to get so hung up on the colors, but the same old green+yellow feels a bit repetitive, and I think that you don't need to feel very committed to the dynasty look given that the real A's aren't very committed to it.

Still, good work as always!

Thanks!

Well, Charlie O. did call Kansas City a "horse$hit town," so it's no surprise he tried to go anywhere. I still have Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, New Orleans, and Denver left. The latter three will wait. San Jose and Portland (a long talked-about relocation) will still happen, but will be towards the end of the saga. 

I thought about adjusting the colors for Atlanta, but I figured that Turner wouldn't want to screw with a good brand too much. While the roundel-style name might work, I observed that the type would get lost at smaller sizes/wouldn't look as good.

I'm always a little reticent to have creme home jerseys, if only because I like having that as the Giants' trademark alone.

Your idea for a Kelly Green/White A's concept sounds really intriguing. I'm planning to do Kelly/Yellow for them, if only because it ties into the classic Supersonics:

DJ7.jpg

...but I'm also going to offer a Kelly/White option. Kelly/White will also be the Chicago A's look. Don't worry, I'll be mixing the colors up a bit for the later A's concepts (especially in locations where the 1970s dynasty has less hold). 

On 8/26/2018 at 2:33 AM, NicDB said:

Love the Milwaukee A's.  I have to think Milwaukee would have gone all in embracing Al Simmons' old ballclub.  Perhaps some sort of tribute to him is in order?

But I rather like this alt universe where green and gold come to stand for Wisconsin the way black and gold do for Pittsburgh.

Thanks! I figured that the team would do all sorts of things for Al Simmons, like retire his number (#7, from 1931-32), build a statue of him, and hold a day in his honor (May 22, his birthday). Part of the festivities would involve wearing the uniforms of his most famed teams, the 1922-23 AA Brewers and the 1929-31 Philadelphia Athletics:

8qNPQT7.png

I'd like to give a big shout-out to @Gothamite for his lovely website http://borchertfield.com. It was a big help in researching the Milwaukee concepts.

As for a civic/state color scheme, I must say that Forest Green/Athletic Gold suits the Bucks (an old concept from my NBA concept days that I never got to posting around these parts) and the Admirals:

8cpYo6w.png KfsymbT.png

22 hours ago, Raptorman415 said:

I’ve realized in this series that Milwaukee wants everyone and the A’s want to go everywhere. Great job on the Milwaukee A’s.

Thanks! Pretty much, yeah. Milwaukee was a popular potential/actual destination for teams, and we haven't even gotten to the White Sox's attempt to move there.

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

"L.A. gets the A's, Milwaukee gets the A's...EVERYBODY GETS THE A'S!!!!"

Image result for oprah you get a car gif

Seriously, this is awesome. I love the Swingin' Stomper! I also really like the idea that all three major sports franchises in Wisconsin would (sort of) match. The only thing I'm not feeling is the Old English "M." It kind of looks like two "H's" mashed together. How about something like this?

502963%5B5%5D.jpg

Sounds like we're getting the Seattle A's next. Can't wait! 

Thanks! I adjusted the initial post to implement the "Old English M" you suggested. Here is a comparison:

yMWEXuK.png

The Seattle A's should be here soon.

• Like 13

On 8/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Anyway, it's time for the further adventures of Charlie O. Finley! 

QzInIat.png

ATLANTA ATHLETICS - Resurgens of the A

Let's assume that the Atlanta deal went through, with Charlie O. moving the team to the city. The team has their early-70s successes, but Finley sells the team to Ted Turner at some point during the '70s-'80s. Realizing that he had a strong brand on his hands, he doesn't do much to it. When the 1987 "retro revival" came around, the team darkens their green shade and modernizes bits of the team's history (e.g., the 1920s-30s "A" jerseys, the Kansas City script-style for the road uniforms, and the double placket stripes of the 1950 jerseys). The Northwestern Stripe pattern (meant to tie in with the Falcons) and gold billed-cap remain from Finley's uniforms, for a bit of colorfulness.

One notable shift in the Atlanta A's identity is the absence of the "apostrophe s." Both Finley and Turner argued that the "A" could stand for both "Athletics" and "Atlanta," so it stuck. The second prominent alternation is the lack of an elephant in the post-1987 identity. The Atlanta Athletics would be playing in Atlanta, where there would be overlap with UGA fans. The elephant is a semi-official symbol of one of the Bulldog's conference enemies, the Crimson Tide. Therefore, the white elephant gave way to a white-hot phoenix, a civic symbol of Atlanta (because of the city's post-Civil War resurgence). Since I couldn't use red on the design, I added a bit more yellow to the overall look of the uniforms.

The phoenix comes from my Atlanta Firebirds concept, with a few more flames from the Calgary Flames' "sinus infection horse." The phoenix rises up from a ball with the "A" insignia, which also appears as a secondary. The tertiary is a retro design, which updates the 1960s-'70s primary logo(s). Rockwell Condensed is the wordmark font.

3UxnkTo.png

The home and road uniforms feature a few Braves-style touches, such as Wilson Varsity numbers and arched NOBs. Contrast-colored front numbers add a bit more yellow to the identity. Like with several other A's concepts I've done, the insignia is on the home uniform while the city name script resides on the road jersey. The phoenix is on the sleeve, while the white-yellow-white Northwestern Stripes are on the socks.

The firebird/phoenix is actually really slick and cool. It's weird to see the Athletics without the elephant, but the introduction/substitution of the phoenix makes a lot of sense and fits really well.

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

On 8/25/2018 at 11:00 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! A lot of this series was news to me when I set out researching it. It was good to refine the old Firebirds concept and do more script modification.

Anyway, it's time to Milwaukee the A's up!

MILWAUKEE ATHLETICS - Packing a Cartoonish Punch

Whenever the topic of "civic" color schemes and/or diversifying MLB's color schemes comes up, one of the most common tricks is to have Forest Green/Athletic Gold for Wisconsin/the Brewers. While it does look good for the Brewers (@Lights Out made a good one, as did @Section30 in his series), I'm not that big of a fan of it. Navy/royal has such a long history with Milwaukee's baseball teams (as well as with the city's civic identity), that I can't really justify a switch-over to green. The only condition that would justify a green/yellow baseball in Milwaukee for me would be if the A's had moved to Milwaukee instead of the Pilots. 

Let's assume that Schlitz had purchased the A's and taken the majority share from Charlie O. Finley. With majority control, Schlitz would see the potential of co-branding the team with the Packers (who played a few games at County Stadium each year at the time). They would darken Charlie O.'s green, while also implementing Brashier Stripes on the pants, socks (the full pattern), and (eventually) the sleeves. Schlitz also shot down Finley's idea for white cleats, because a board member thought they looked "show-y." At the time of the 1987 redesign, the team would incorporate stylistic elements from the American Association Brewers, which included their script styles and cartoon mascot

Connie Mack's white elephant undergoes a transformation for Milwaukee. Stomper is now a cartoon logo, which is a modified version of the Lehigh Valley IronPig's bat-swinging logo. I simplified the details, while adding an elephant head with the team cap (with elements inspired by elephants and  cartoon  versions). I'd like to give a shoutout to @MJD7 for consulting on the logo. Stomper resides in a roundel, with the Carton font for the wordmarks. I'm honestly surprised that the A's have never really had a bat swinging cartoon logo. The full-body version is the tertiary. The "A's" insignia has an Old English "M" accompanying it.

EDIT: I redid the "M" to better resemble a proper Old English "M" instead of Liebe's font approximation, per @coco1997's suggestion. Here is the original graphic. Here is a comparison for the both the "M" and "Milwaukee" script.

oXzzJts.png

The home and road set feature the scripts, contrast-colored font numbers (the same font as the ex-Browns version of the Brewers), and a powder blue-tinted road grey. Stomper is on the sleeves. The gold bills remain on both hats, due to the amount of Athletic Gold on the uniforms. I opted to use green cleats instead of white, for a less "show-y" look.

EDIT: The image has been updated to include the new "Milwaukee" script. Here is a link to the original.

cNT4tVf.png 

The alternates feature the "A's" insignia, with the green jersey featuring the primary logo and an all-green cap with the Old English "M."

EDIT: The Old English "M" cap now features the new "M." Here is a link to the first edition.

B7G0ko4.png

The other alternates include an Athletic Gold-heavy "Cream City" alternate with the "M" insignia (a la the 1911-37 American Association Brewers) and a Forest Green/Athletic Gold version of the mid-late 1960s vests, albeit with the new font. I made a Wisconsin version of the 1960s-'70s primaries/press pins with the Brewers' old Wisconsin logo.

EDIT: The "M" is now the updated version. This link is to the original concept.

1IZWMEW.png

The dugout jackets feature the new logos, with the insignia on the primary's chest and the script on the alternate. Given the script's resemblance to the AA Brewers' script, I'd argue that it fits on the throwback-style outerwear. I employed simplified Packers-style stripes on the trim.

EDIT: I've adjusted the jackets to reflect changes to the "M" logo. Here are the originals: primary and fauxback styles.

rSYqu2A.png cpMQSDP.png

Both the Atlanta and Milwaukee Athletics open up a lot of opportunities for some fun twists to the team's identity. Whether it be different scripts, cartoon logos, or colorways, the A's identity has a lot of possibilities C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, Charlie hits up the west coast (hint: Vedder Cup).

This is a fantastic concept, but I just can't help but think of what just a small fleck of red (replacing green in the yellow bars, going yellow/red/white/red/yellow on a green field, like on the jackets or stirrups and/or possibly outlining the "A's" or "M.") would do for this concept, which might help give the A's a little more Milwaukee or Wisconsin flavor.

Edited by DustDevil61
Hello, Wisconsin
  • Like 2

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

6 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

This is a fantastic concept, but I just can't help but think of what just a small fleck of red (replacing green in the yellow bars, going yellow/red/white/red/yellow on a green field, like on the jackets or stirrups and/or possibly outlining the "A's" or "M.") would do for this concept, which might help give the A's a little more Milwaukee or Wisconsin flavor.

I'm just not seeing that... it's already the same colors as the Packers.  After beer and cheese, what is Wisconsin best known for?

• Like 4

I think Milwaukee might be my favorite A’s team so far! I love how all of the colors and design all fit within the Milwaukee brand. The Atlanta set is really clever too, especially with the kelly green equating to the Braves’ royal blue for the throwbacks.

It goes without saying, but another fantastic and well thought out design!

• Like 1

I truly have loved every moment of this concept series. You have a great eye, and you really are grasping the possibilities of the alternate realities. I absolutely loved the BiG logo being reimagined for the Milwaukee Braves. Genius!!

Now, as a Portland sports history enthusiast, I'm excited to see what happens in your timelines. Seeing what you have done with the various incarnations of the Athletics, and how they have mixed in prior franchises per each city, I can't help but wonder if we see that in Portland...? Say, a PCL reference that heavily borrowed a design element from a Missouri franchise? I hate to say much more without a spoiler, but... Elephants on the bat??

• Like 1

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

On 8/27/2018 at 8:21 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The firebird/phoenix is actually really slick and cool. It's weird to see the Athletics without the elephant, but the introduction/substitution of the phoenix makes a lot of sense and fits really well.

Thanks! It's weird omitting the elephant, but I thought it'd be a good place to mix it up.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:56 AM, BJ Sands said:

I don't have any C&C other than to say this thread is forking awesome.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:30 AM, coco1997 said:

The new 'M' definitely works much better than the first version. Great update! 

Thanks!

On 8/27/2018 at 9:31 PM, DustDevil61 said:

Thanks! I did think about that, but I thought it was a bit too Pacific Northwest for me. It didn't really need red.

On 8/28/2018 at 11:12 AM, MJD7 said:

I think Milwaukee might be my favorite A’s team so far! I love how all of the colors and design all fit within the Milwaukee brand. The Atlanta set is really clever too, especially with the kelly green equating to the Braves’ royal blue for the throwbacks.

It goes without saying, but another fantastic and well thought out design!

Thanks!

On 8/29/2018 at 3:01 AM, Frylock said:

I truly have loved every moment of this concept series. You have a great eye, and you really are grasping the possibilities of the alternate realities. I absolutely loved the BiG logo being reimagined for the Milwaukee Braves. Genius!!

Now, as a Portland sports history enthusiast, I'm excited to see what happens in your timelines. Seeing what you have done with the various incarnations of the Athletics, and how they have mixed in prior franchises per each city, I can't help but wonder if we see that in Portland...? Say, a PCL reference that heavily borrowed a design element from a Missouri franchise? I hate to say much more without a spoiler, but... Elephants on the bat??

Thank you! Portland will be towards the end for the series, but I doubt I'll be doing the Elephants on the bat. Given that it's a modern relocation, I doubt the Cardinals would be thrilled with another major-league team aping their style, even for a throwback. If I do wind up doing a retro-styled alternate, a Mavericks-themed one is more likely.

Anyway, it's Seattle time!

SEATTLE ATHLETICS - The Emerald of the North

Another one of Charlie O.'s stops on the relocation tour was Seattle, which he apparently enjoyed. Period articles feature him commenting on how he liked the area, with several other AL owners backing him up.1 However, it didn't work out for several reasons:

1. Oakland had a considerably larger metro area to draw from for fans, alongside a major league-ready venue.

2. Much like the Pilots found out, Sicks Stadium was ill-suited as a temporary venue for a MLB team. The 25,000 seat expansion plan was also part of Finley's negotiations, which I'm sure would have gone as poorly as it did for the Pilots. Compounding on this issue was the political wrangling behind the eventual construction of the most depressing domed stadium ever Kingdome.

3. The team would have had to pay up the wazoo for the territory rights from three PCL teams (Seattle, Vancouver, and Tacoma). The Pilots paid $1 million to the PCL, so it's easy to assume the A's would have paid as much/more.2

I can best sum it up with an image of the early-mid 2000s Audi Allroad:

1342649386339.jpg

It may look nice on the outside, but it's a technical mess that turns into a money pit (I normally don't like Doug DeMuro, but he's got some good points about the Allroad). However, what if the stars somehow lined up in perfect formation, and the A's moved to Seattle?

I assumed that Kelly Green/Yellow-Gold would stick around, if only because the other pro team in the city (the Supersonics) used that same colorway. Due to the market influence/success of the Sonics, the A's would keep Kelly Green around and/or return to it (albeit slightly darkened - 349 C) by the time they set themselves up at Safeco Field. Scripts would appear in the 1980s, with the white elephant returning to the identity along with a rendering of the Seattle skyscrapers/Mount Rainier.

I've also mocked up a version that goes in a slightly different direction, removing yellow and preserving the lighter Kelly shade (348 C). It has precedent in the city, with the 1900s-10s Seattle  Giants of the Northwestern League. Thanks for the idea, @vtgco!

EDIT (June 1, 2019): I have adjusted the elephant rendering, the Old English "S," and redid the Kelly/White "Seattle" wordmark. Here is a comparison image.

PART A - The Gold Standard

The skyline logo is the primary, featuring bits of the Mariners' 30th Anniversary logo, an old Supersonics concept I made, and the updated 1930 elephant. I used Market Deco (akin to the Seattle Public Market's signage) as the wordmark font and also to form the "apostrophe s" on the cap insignia. I added an Old English S to the logos, along with the standalone elephant. The original image is here.

QioLZUN.png

The home and road set feature the yellow/green/yellow striping pattern of my old Oakland concept. A yellow/white/yellow sock stripe pattern emulates the cap's colorway, as the Kelly Green is now dark enough to allow for proper contrast. I put the textless primary on the sleeve and a "Seattle" script on the road uniform. The original is here.

aCvlwE6.png

The first set of alts feature both yellow-gold and green softball tops. I placed an "Old English S" hat on the green alternate. Linked here is the Mark I concept.

HD30kA5.png

The second set of alts feature a white alternate cap for the home uniform (like the old coaches' caps, modeled by Dick Williams). The Rainiers-style alternate merges several uniform styles for the team, such as the 19391951, and 1955 uniforms. The elephant appears on the sleeve, as a means of tying the Rainiers' brand to the A's traditional aesthetics. The first one is here.

SrEp4wP.png

The dugout jacket features shoulder inserts and white sleeves, to emphasize each of these colors. The "Seattle" script is on the front, while the "A's" logo is on the back and the sock stripe pattern is on the trim. The first jacket is linked here.

BcuKnv9.png

PART B - Emeralds and Elephants

The logos are the same in the Kelly/Yellow identity, which features a touch of grey in some of logo package (retro uniform and road alt cap). I replaced the cursive script with a Market Deco wordmark from the Rainiers concept. The original image is linked within.

S8qdfzY.png

The uniforms now feature all-green caps (save for the squatchee) and green/white/green striping on the sleeves and pants. The tri-stipe on the socks is now all-white. Bold block numbers are on the home jersey, while white outlines highlight the road jersey (a la my old Reds concept). The original with the cursive "Seattle" script is here.

0fnrzHg.png

The green jersey comes with a white-crowned cap for home and a grey-crowned hat on the road. The vintage alternate uses the 1955 Rainiers' template (based on the Project 32 Mariners redesign), with grey appearing as an outline color. The solo elephant appears again on the sleeve. The first edit is here. I added a grey outline to the elephant on the retro design.

lPqPrtt.png

The jacket flips around the "Seattle" and "A's" marks, while deleting the sleeve inserts. This is the first outerwear design.

FP9xgGl.png

It's pretty cool to see how the A's look adapts well to both the Seattle setting and a Kelly/White colorway. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, surf's up!

1John E. Peterson, The Kansas City Athletics: A Baseball History, 1954–1967 (Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 2012), 255-58.

2Ibid. 

Edited by SFGiants58
Added shoutout, then updated the designs.
  • Like 17

Oh man, that "Seattle" script is friggin' gorgeous. The Old English "S" makes for an amazing cap logo! I think my favorite overall look is the home set with the white cap. 

I assume San Diego is next, so I really hope we get a Surfing Stomper primary logo. ?

• Like 3

You did a really great job, and it works really well and in both color schemes.

That Pike Place Market font is perfect for Seattle, and the primary logo is great.

The S works well as a cap logo. I like the road jersey and Rainiers fauxback alt, especially in green only! Thanks for trying that scheme out!

Really good work! It makes the thought of the Seattle A's much more palatable.

I agree with

@coco1997, surfing Stomper for SD! I'd imagine the SD A's as yellow primarily, but I'm eager to see what you come up with!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! It's weird omitting the elephant, but I thought it'd be a good place to mix it up.

Thanks!

Thanks! I did think about that, but I thought it was a bit too Pacific Northwest for me. It didn't really need red.

Thanks!

Thank you! Portland will be towards the end for the series, but I doubt I'll be doing the Elephants on the bat. Given that it's a modern relocation, I doubt the Cardinals would be thrilled with another major-league team aping their style, even for a throwback. If I do wind up doing a retro-styled alternate, a Mavericks-themed one is more likely.

Anyway, it's Seattle time!

SEATTLE ATHLETICS - The Emerald of the North

Another one of Charlie O.'s stops on the relocation tour was Seattle, which he apparently enjoyed. Period articles feature him commenting on how he liked the area, with several other AL owners backing him up.1 However, it didn't work out for several reasons:

1. Oakland had a considerably larger metro area to draw from for fans, alongside a major league-ready venue.

2. Much like the Pilots found out, Sicks Stadium was ill-suited as a temporary venue for a MLB team. The 25,000 seat expansion plan was also part of Finley's negotiations, which I'm sure would have gone as poorly as it did for the Pilots. Compounding on this issue was the political wrangling behind the eventual construction of the most depressing domed stadium ever Kingdome.

3. The team would have had to pay up the wazoo for the territory rights from three PCL teams (Seattle, Vancouver, and Tacoma). The Pilots paid $1 million to the PCL, so it's easy to assume the A's would have paid as much/more.2

I can best sum it up with an image of the early-mid 2000s Audi Allroad:

1342649386339.jpg

It may look nice on the outside, but it's a technical mess that turns into a money pit (I normally don't like Doug DeMuro, but he's got some good points about the Allroad). However, what if the stars somehow lined up in perfect formation, and the A's moved to Seattle?

I assumed that Kelly Green/Yellow-Gold would stick around, if only because the other pro team in the city (the Supersonics) used that same colorway. Due to the market influence/success of the Sonics, the A's would keep Kelly Green around and/or return to it (albeit slightly darkened - 349 C) by the time they set themselves up at Safeco Field. Scripts would appear in the 1980s, with the white elephant returning to the identity along with a rendering of the Seattle skyscrapers/Mount Rainier.

I've also mocked up a version that goes in a slightly different direction, removing yellow and preserving the lighter Kelly shade (348 C). It has precedent in the city, with the 1900s-10s Seattle  Giants of the Northwestern League. Thanks for the idea, @vtgco!

PART B - Emeralds and Elephants

The logos are the same in the Kelly/Yellow identity, which features a touch of grey in some of logo package (retro uniform and road alt cap).

B0EEJi7.png

The uniforms now feature all-green caps (save for the squatchee) and green/white/green striping on the sleeves and pants. The tri-stipe on the socks is now all-white. Bold block numbers are on the home jersey, while white outlines highlight the road jersey (a la my old Reds concept). 

r0xyMEC.png

The green jersey comes with a white-crowned cap for home and a grey-crowned hat on the road. The vintage alternate uses the 1955 Rainiers' template (based on the Project 32 Mariners redesign), with grey appearing as an outline color. The solo elephant appears again on the sleeve.

Bag2Hio.png

The jacket flips around the "Seattle" and "A's" marks, while deleting the sleeve inserts.

K9MWh41.png

It's pretty cool to see how the A's look adapts well to both the Seattle setting and a Kelly/White colorway. C+C is appreciated, as always!

The Green and White concept is a little dull, I feel like it's lacking another color, perhaps bringing back yellow as just a simple trim color?

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Seattle doesn't seem like a city that really lends itself to an Old English monogram, but it still all looks good. I like the simplified elephant and Neutraface lettering, which looks old but does lend itself to associations with Seattle. You could buy that as their destination right after Philadelphia.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫