MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

It's compilation time!

The teams that nearly moved without a renaming: Tampa Bay PiratesTampa Bay AthleticsFlorida White SoxTampa Bay Mariners, and Tampa Bay Giants - The Recreations/Traditional font updated/Floridian cursive.

zeDBLfq.png

The teams that would have renamed: Tampa Bay Tarpons (ex-Minnesota Twins & Washington Sens/Nats)Tampa Bay Twins/Tarpons variants, and Tampa Bay Cannons (ex-Texas Rangers/Washington Senators).

n1ZPZWi.jpg

The 1993 expansion teams: Florida Panthers/Forest Green/Creamsicle Recolor and Florida/Tampa Bay Whitecaps - Seren Script with a triple blue palette

LwYl9A0.png

The Rays variants: the 1998 Sting Rays, Tampa Bay Stingrays, and Tampa Bay Rays "of Light."

qU1LvkN.png

Now, to close us out, this is a song that sums up Tampa Bay's relationship with Major League Baseball during the speculation period.

Up next, we finally leave Tampa Bay and head back to the 1960s.

• Like 5

On 1/17/2019 at 9:27 AM, coco1997 said:

The Sting Rays look great!

Very curious and excited to see where this series goes next!

On 1/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, HereComesThax said:

You have improved on the D-Rays set, AND THEN SOME. now all I need is my icon in Sting Ray style

Thanks, guys! @HereComesThax, just outline the colors you want and I can put it together!

On 1/17/2019 at 5:31 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

We leave the concrete refrigerator of The Trop, for a trip back in time to the swinging 60s again. I wonder who it is this time?

Let's just say it's surprising.

SAN DIEGO REDS - Red-dy for adaptation

3qVc.gif

Yes, you heard that right. The team that has long prided itself on playing in the origin city of professional baseball considered following the Giants and Dodgers’ lead in moving out west. But what could have caused such a surprising threat?

Crosley Field didn’t adapt well to the rise of the automobile and the suburbs during the 1950s and ‘60s. The city demolished many buildings in the area to make parking lots, but these efforts were offset by the construction of Interstate 75 right next to the stadium.1 Look at what the highway did to the place (before and after):

7ZZFi6c.png VD2nnlp.png

These issues decreased attendance, which prompted owner Bill DeWitt to consider moving the team in 1964/65. The most obvious place they would have moved was San Diego, where they had an affiliation with the PCL Padres. Of course, the Rosie Reds fan club helped to drum up local support and the city announced plans to construct Riverfront Stadium for both the Reds and the AFL Bengals. While it was totally a case of stadium blackmail, not many venues would do well with an interstate blasting its way through their neighborhood.2

But what if Bill DeWitt made good on his threat? What if the Reds played the 1966 season in Westgate Park (more info with my San Diego Athletics post), before moving to The Murph and Petco? 

The first thing to go is the old-timey branding. In San Diego, the team would have an even smaller connection to the 1869 Red Stockings. They wouldn’t adopt the Brandiose-styles woodcut font, nor would they use the 19th-century Mr. Red. Instead, they have a slab-serif block (like the 1991-2003 Padres' road uniforms) and a hybrid of the modern Mr. Red and the 1968-2006 variations of Mr. Redlegs. The “C-REDS” logo becomes “SD-REDS,” with a wishbone styled “S” and “D.” Also, a big thanks goes to @MJD7 for the consult/city pride idea.

LJC9z7C.png

The uniforms are a mix of two of my Project 32 Reds uniforms. They have the striping/white outlines of the first and the UNC-based number font of the second. The new Mr. Red is on the sleeves.

7ekUdSq.png

The first alternate is a 1960s-style vest (with navy accents) and the second is a “city pride” set that adds yellow accents (a la the San Diego city flag). This one also has a 1954-66/1991-2003/2016 “White S, accent color D” arrangement. EDIT: At @MJD7's suggestion, I've edited the striping on the "city pride" uniform to better resemble the San Diego flag. The original image is linked here.

jNdKMSF.png

The jackets use my script from the PCL Padres’ outerwear. The second has navy accents. Original primary jacket is here.

r1UMirp.png EG44dCe.png

The Reds could have adapted their look pretty well for San Diego. It would have been awful to lose baseball in the home of the 1869 Red Stockings or see the Big Red Machine lose some of what made them special (turf speed), but the team would still be good-looking. Also, realignment/competitive downturn wouldn’t kill the Reds-Dodgers rivalry!

C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, we’ve got another 1960s relocation attempt, one that may be a bit more radical. 

1 “Crosley Field - History, Photos and More of the Cincinnati Reds Former Ballpark,” Ballparks of Baseball - Your Guide to Major League Baseball Stadiums (blog), accessed January 18, 2019, https://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/ballparks/crosley-field/; “Parks of the Past: Crosley Field, Cincinnati,” reddit, accessed January 18, 2019, https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/1rzqqx/parks_of_the_past_crosley_field_cincinnati/.

2 John Erardi, “Rosie Reds to Be Honored with Hall of Fame Exhibit,” Cincinnati.com, July 24, 2014, https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2014/07/24/rosie-reds-honored-hall-fame-exhibit/13138111/; Scott Ferkovich, “Westgate Park (San Diego) | Society for American Baseball Research,” SABR - Society for American Baseball Research, accessed January 18, 2019, https://sabr.org/node/27047; Rosie Reds Inc., “History of the Rosie Reds,” Rosie Reds, 2015, https://rosiereds.org/history/; “1965 San Diego Padres Statistics,” Baseball-Reference.com, accessed January 18, 2019, https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi; “Cincinnati Reds Minor League Affiliates,” Baseball-Reference.com, accessed January 18, 2019, https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/affiliate.cgi?id=CIN; “Riverfront Stadium - History, Photos and More of the Cincinnati Reds Former Ballpark,” Ballparks of Baseball - Your Guide to Major League Baseball Stadiums (blog), accessed January 18, 2019, https://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/ballparks/riverfront-stadium//

Edited by SFGiants58
Adjusted city pride uniform & shrank citation text size.
  • Like 10

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - San Diego Reds Added

Love the San Diego Reds! This is one of those out of left field relocation possibilities that I had absolutely no idea about. I absolutely love the City Pride uniform (someone in the league needs to wear red and gold). 

As much as I love this concept and the overall design, I wonder how the SD Reds would look with home off-white uniforms (a la the '69 Padres) and sand-tinted road uniforms to give them a little more "earthy" San Diego feel. 

I think I know who the next team is, and I can't wait to see them! ;)

• Like 4

Absolutely adore that look. The SD logo does look a little jumbled, but you did a good job changing the C to a D. Overall, a great set, you can’t change the Reds up too much, but you did a good job converting the hypothetical move to Cincinnati to San Diego.

• Like 2

rAUPGPZ.png

The thought of the Cincinnati Reds not being around anymore is upsetting. I take it that's the intended response. I think the only part of the design that doesn't work for me is the refashioning of the wishbone C into a wishbone SD. I'm thinking of how the Dodgers and Giants didn't transmogrify their B and NY monograms into their new initials, they used different (pre-existing in at least the case of the PCL Angels) ones. My guess is that the San Diego Reds would have adopted whatever the PCL Padres wore on their hats and the wishbone C would have gone to the dustbin of history or been taken on fully by the Indians. I feel like "Reds" inside the D is a bit of an afterthought in a way it isn't inside the C. 

Everything else is good, especially the single-layer tailed San Diego script on the jackets.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The San Diego Reds look great! A little strange not being in Cincinnati, but great. My only two recommendations: I agree with @coco1997 about trying a sand-tinted road (it would go nicely with the red), and I would make the piping red/white/yellow on the city pride alt, to better match the flag.  

Excited for what’s next!

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The thought of the Cincinnati Reds not being around anymore is upsetting. I take it that's the intended response. I think the only part of the design that doesn't work for me is the refashioning of the wishbone C into a wishbone SD. I'm thinking of how the Dodgers and Giants didn't transmogrify their B and NY monograms...

They couldn't transmogrify anything. The first transmogrifier didn't come around till a kid named Calvin invented it in the 1980s. Read up on your history.

• Like 4

On 1/19/2019 at 7:01 PM, MCM0313 said:

They couldn't transmogrify anything. The first transmogrifier didn't come around till a kid named Calvin invented it in the 1980s. Read up on your history.

Didn’t he have help from his friend Hobbes?

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 1/19/2019 at 12:42 AM, Jimmy Lethal said:

Spongebob reaction clip

looks cool though

That was my reaction as well! Thanks.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:17 PM, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

Absolutely adore that look. The SD logo does look a little jumbled, but you did a good job changing the C to a D. Overall, a great set, you can’t change the Reds up too much, but you did a good job converting the hypothetical move to Cincinnati to San Diego.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:07 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

Love the SD Reds look, even though it's hard to think of the REDS ever moving..... that Mr. Red logo is a 10/10 as well.

The one thing I don't like is the navy accents on the alternate. I get why they're there, but they feel unnecessary. 

On 1/19/2019 at 10:54 AM, FightingGoldenDevil said:

If someone told me you could make a wishbone S and D I would have laughed. Like, that should be impossible. But here we are. A damn fine looking wishbone S and D. Bravo, you've done it again

Thanks, guys! I totally see where you're coming from, @KittSmith_95. I wanted the 1960s-style look, as well as an excuse to feature one of the Reds'/PCL Padres' traditional colors. 

On 1/19/2019 at 3:46 PM, HereComesThax said:

You see my current icon?  That’s the colors. Here, I’ll put it in as an attachmenttRJiaPvh_200x200.jpg

Thanks! Here it is, avatar-sized and full-sized:

5dT4Sp3.png 4oINy5E.png

On 1/18/2019 at 6:00 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

That Reds set is nice, but, they look so weird in any place other than Cincinnati.

Although, the interlocking SD logo looks weird with the wishbone D.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:10 PM, the admiral said:

The thought of the Cincinnati Reds not being around anymore is upsetting. I take it that's the intended response. I think the only part of the design that doesn't work for me is the refashioning of the wishbone C into a wishbone SD. I'm thinking of how the Dodgers and Giants didn't transmogrify their B and NY monograms into their new initials, they used different (pre-existing in at least the case of the PCL Angels) ones. My guess is that the San Diego Reds would have adopted whatever the PCL Padres wore on their hats and the wishbone C would have gone to the dustbin of history or been taken on fully by the Indians. I feel like "Reds" inside the D is a bit of an afterthought in a way it isn't inside the C. 

Everything else is good, especially the single-layer tailed San Diego script on the jackets.

Thanks, guys. I can see where both of you are coming from with the wishbone SD. I tried to make it work, but I do agree that it is a bit awkward (esp. the incorporation of the team name). I'm also surprised that nobody made a comment that the "D" looked a tad like a boob. I'm sticking with it, but I've got another option.

So, for this update, I've replaced the wishbone SD with a slab-serif SD that resembles the Reds' slab-serif wordmark font. The retro alternate now features two "SD" insignia designs - a different-color interlocking logo on the cap and a navy/white/red chest design.

TuoMTwf.pngivKYHHb.png

CWS25SB.pngIRlpuQW.pngAfdJaOP.png

I've also done a version with a modified edition of my "Reds" script from the Project 32 alternate take.

h5qk8lW.pngx77XvLc.png

ZIeKFZj.pngDOUmAID.png

I also have a variant of the above featuring a matching road script.

dIF37O6.png7glkzMo.png

Also, per @the admiral's idea of Cleveland making the Wishbone C their own, I've done up my Cleveland concept with said insignia! I opted for the navy-crowned/red-billed hats, for a direct homage to the 1948 team.

AsURdpd.pngGz94ISw.pngsDhHfet.pngqEzh3rV.pngLVZGBzO.png

Oddly enough, I don't think I like it as much as the outlined block C in this application. I should try with the fancy block/Cleveland Buckeyes' C.

On 1/18/2019 at 6:56 PM, coco1997 said:

Love the San Diego Reds! This is one of those out of left field relocation possibilities that I had absolutely no idea about. I absolutely love the City Pride uniform (someone in the league needs to wear red and gold). 

As much as I love this concept and the overall design, I wonder how the SD Reds would look with home off-white uniforms (a la the '69 Padres) and sand-tinted road uniforms to give them a little more "earthy" San Diego feel. 

I think I know who the next team is, and I can't wait to see them! ;)

Thanks! It was a fun opportunity. I too wish a team wore red/yellow (Angels).

I didn't really want to go the creme/sand primary route, as I really like the red/white pairing and wanted the team to have a Big Red Machine-evoking aesthetic. Still, creme/sand looks top-notch:

Clsau7h.pngXyzLQ0N.png

atJOtje.pngLM4cvqv.png

I like that it could also be a decent IU baseball uniform.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:47 PM, BellaSpurs said:

This is... awkward, Cincy shouldn’t be in San Diego, but I mean it doesn’t look bad, just weird.

Thanks. That was my reaction to this whole scenario. I'd have rather the Reds rebranded upon moving. The old reds would rebrand as the brown/red Padres, with a 1969 expansion team in Cincinnati with the Reds' name. That'd be the ideal way that a Reds relocation would play out (I'd rather obviate the bad situation).

On 1/19/2019 at 5:30 PM, MJD7 said:

The San Diego Reds look great! A little strange not being in Cincinnati, but great. My only two recommendations: I agree with @coco1997 about trying a sand-tinted road (it would go nicely with the red), and I would make the piping red/white/yellow on the city pride alt, to better match the flag.  

Excited for what’s next!

Thanks! I updated the city pride alt to better match the flag. I originally didn't want a yellow stripe surrounded by white, but the whole pattern made it work.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, MCM0313 said:

I thought it was a design from the distant future, one that had the power to morph people.

H8FyABR.gif

I gotta rewatch Red Dwarf.

The next team should be up soon. Here's a hint: they'd have a hellish travel schedule for most of their existence.

Edited by SFGiants58
  • Like 4

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - San Diego Reds Updated
16 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks. That was my reaction to this whole scenario. I'd have rather the Reds rebranded upon moving. The old reds would rebrand as the brown/red Padres, with a 1969 expansion team in Cincinnati with the Reds' name. That'd be the ideal way that a Reds relocation would play out (I'd rather obviate the bad situation).

This would’ve been perfect, also curious if you’d ever do a concept for such a predicament, obviously the cincy expansion team would be like the browns and Cleveland and stay the same. But the new Padres would have more of “reds” to it, which could be interesting to see.

18 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The next team should be up soon. Here's a hint: they'd have a hellish travel schedule for most of their existence.

I know it’s Havana, but imagine if a team went to Hawaii.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php