MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

On 8/21/2019 at 8:09 AM, Whittier S said:

The Expo left a significant mark on Montreal's architecture, with the pavilions still in use in various capacities. It's arguably the most important modern architecture in the city. So Expos make sense as a team name, even today. The one city where the name would make more sense is Vancouver--ask a Vancouverite about Expo '86 to see what I mean.

Have we talked about Habitat 67 on this board before? I don't know whether I want to hug it or burn it to the ground.

habitat_67_2012.jpg

"Ana Ng" is one of my favorite songs ever, probably top 20.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! I'll get that link working for you (right-click "copy image address" when hovering over the image, then paste here).

oRJjLnj.png

I see where you're going with this and I can take it the rest of the way!

WzjwCq5.png

I'm not sure the "b" can really parallel the "e," given how the master outline and the "b" are the same color.

Yeah, that's where I was headed with that. The best way to update the eMb is probably to separate the e and b from the M, but that might lose some of the specialness of the original logo.

the user formerly known as cdclt

19 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Thanks! I'll get that link working for you (right-click "copy image address" when hovering over the image, then paste here).

oRJjLnj.png

WzjwCq5.png

I'm not sure the "b" can really parallel the "e," given how the master outline and the "b" are the same color.

Honestly I think that reads eNb, making it harder to read the M. The Minecraft expos however works a bit better.

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

WzjwCq5.png

Ironically, I can't help but see a white "N" in the middle of the design with this tweak. 

I actually really like the squared off "eMb"! In my eyes it definitely solves the original issue of the "M" not being obvious enough. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Have we talked about Habitat 67 on this board before? I don't know whether I want to hug it or burn it to the ground.

habitat_67_2012.jpg

I'm visiting Montreal for the first time in December. I generally hate Brutalist architecture, but I love that building. I'll have to check it out.

• Like 1

rATMcmK.png

On 8/23/2019 at 10:29 AM, the admiral said:

habitat_67_2012.jpg

On 8/23/2019 at 5:24 PM, Whittier S said:

I'm visiting Montreal for the first time in December. I generally hate Brutalist architecture, but I love that building. I'll have to check it out.

While it's definitely Brutalist, it's still a fascinating structure in its layout. I last went to Montréal in 2005 (at age 11), so I don't really know if I went there or even heard about it. 

On 8/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, coco1997 said:

Ironically, I can't help but see a white "N" in the middle of the design with this tweak. 

I actually really like the squared off "eMb"! In my eyes it definitely solves the original issue of the "M" not being obvious enough. 

On 8/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Honestly I think that reads eNb, making it harder to read the M. The Minecraft expos however works a bit better.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:53 AM, QueenCitySwarm said:

Yeah, that's where I was headed with that. The best way to update the eMb is probably to separate the e and b from the M, but that might lose some of the specialness of the original logo.

Thanks! Yeah, the modified version definitely reads as eNb, which is an issue. Trying to render it as an "e leading into a cursive M, which leads into a cursive b" would just be a bit messy. The "Minecraft" version just misses the swirly-ness that makes the original such a notable design.

Anyway, let's get to a rejected name!

MONTRÉAL VOYAGEURS - The Red Toque of the Region

(Note: this is an update of my Project 32 concept of the same name, so I'll repeat a lot of what I said there.)

(Here's a little video of a living history performing describing the life of a voyageur. That channel, Townsends, is one of my favorites on YouTube. Watch their stuff!)

While I was reading Jonah Keri's Up, Up, & Away, I came across a passage that described the naming of the team.

One major step remained before the team could take the field, however: it needed a name. "Royals" emerged as an early favourite and a worthy nod to the city's baseball history, but coincidentally, Kansas City's expansion team had already adopted the name for the following season. Other proposed names included suggestions in both English and French. "Voyageurs" had a certain ring to it. On of the leading English-language candidates would presage a pivotal event in franchise history decades later: "Nationals."1

While I wanted to do the Royals, the specter of Bill 101 would prevent that from coming up. Montréal Royaux, while unique, wasn't to my liking (but that's the next concept!). I prefer names that end with "s." So, I opted to bring out Les Voyageurs! This team, named after the French Canadian fur traders who canoed their goods through both New France and Illinois, would inspire pride from French Canadians and be Bill 101-friendly. 

I kept the red/blue color scheme of the Expos (I can't imagine a Montréal team without that color scheme). The two colors are co-dominant, because of the iconic red toque hats of the voyageurs. I tried green and red for the team (akin to the Parti canadien flag), but it gave off too much of a Santa vibe. French Canadian aesthetics of the late-1960's/early-1970's were weird, but not that odd.

The logo is my attempt to capture that "weird French Canadian-ness." I modded my shield logo to feature a canoe with oars at the top (like the Montréal crest) and to feature the new cap insignia. This design features simple lines that depicted a bearded Voyageur with his red toque. I drew inspiration from both the Nordiques' igloo crest and the Montréal Alouettes' logo from the period. In his beard, I've hidden an "M" and "V" (depending on how you look at it). The tertiary is a roundel, with the canoe on a river and the voyageur above it.

Updates include the use of the Montréal flag's Fleur-de-Lis, while also redoing the roundel to say "Voyageurs de Montréal." Here is a comparison image.

2i3Ogyb.png

The uniforms are similar to my Expos set, albeit with a different color balance. The hats are now red-crowned, for the red toques of the voyageurs. They still have royal bills, so that I can have royal wordmarks/undershirts/belts. The socks, front numbers, and NOB's are red-dominant, for contrast. The scripts feature Tuscan/Tiffany-style letters, as an homage to the Montréal Royals. I wanted to put a little tribute in the main set somewhere. The Voyageur is the cap logo.

My updates have switched the script font to modified Buinton from Fenway Park JF, while also updating the striping/logos to match the Expos updates. Batesina Athletica is now the number font as well. Additionally, I widened the "V" in the "Voyageurs" script. Here is a comparison.

JuwjmOz.png

The alternates are red and blue softball tops, with color balance flips for each application. I put the roundel on the red top, as a little means of differentiation.

76kzrnd.png

The second set of uniforms are special events sets. The Jackie Robinson Day outfit homages the 1946 Montréal Royals' home uniform. The Canada Day/Saint Jean-Baptiste Day jersey is an adaptation of my Expos design. I thickened the placket/sleeve trim and shrank the cap logo on the Jackie Robinson Day uniform (alongside the script redesign). while also using the new cross-flags logo on the Canada/SJB Day alternate. The originals are in my links above (for the original) and here (for the updated set). This is the first rendering of the uniforms, with the incorrect red shade on the cross-flags logo (185 C instead of 186 C).

ZI0aNMC.png

The jacket remains the same as the Project 32 outerwear.

yrrcKXs.png

This concept was a fun little experiment in trying to tap into French Canada's history and the aesthetics of late 1960's/early 1970's Quebecois aesthetics. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Up next, we get some royalty.

1 Jonah Keri, Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, Le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-Fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos (Toronto: Vintage Canada, 2015), 14-15.

Edited by SFGiants58
I corrected a red shade error on the Canada/SJB-Day Alternate.
  • Like 10

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - Montréal Voyageurs Added

A moustache would go a long way towards moving the logo away from Pac-Man ghost-monster territory. It could even give you a chance to work in separate M and V.

Edited by Whittier S
Expanded my idea.

rATMcmK.png

On 8/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, coco1997 said:

Is that Tom Cruise?

If you squint, maybe?  Not really, if you ask me, and I've seen my share of celebrity lookalikes: a random dude who looked like Snoop Dogg, a cop who looked like a dead ringer for the aforementioned Tom Cruise, a girl who looked like Kitty Pryde, another girl who resembled Britney Spears, a dude I met because another guy said he looked like Brett Favre, and a Burger King manager who both looked and sounded like Vin Diesel among them.  Hell, one of my older cousins resembles The Rock.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 8/31/2019 at 12:00 AM, Discrimihater said:

If you squint, maybe?  Not really, if you ask me, and I've seen my share of celebrity lookalikes: a random dude who looked like Snoop Dogg, a cop who looked like a dead ringer for the aforementioned Tom Cruise, a girl who looked like Kitty Pryde, another girl who resembled Britney Spears, a dude I met because another guy said he looked like Brett Favre, and a Burger King manager who both looked and sounded like Vin Diesel among them.  Hell, one of my older cousins resembles The Rock.

Surprisingly, I don't think I've met many lookalikes near me. 

On 8/24/2019 at 2:28 PM, the admiral said:

That is such a hat I would wear. 

Thanks! I like mimicking the red toque.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:36 PM, heavybassX said:

Huh at first glance I thought one of the Pacman ghosts got a beanie.

On 8/24/2019 at 2:06 PM, Whittier S said:

A moustache would go a long way towards moving the logo away from Pac-Man ghost-monster territory. It could even give you a chance to work in separate M and V.

I did consider giving him some facial features, but it just wound up looking "not right" to me:

Vas5dFQ.png

Having nothing under the eyes makes it a bit better.

On 8/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, coco1997 said:

Beautiful work. Those scripts are just magnificent. 

Thanks!

Anyway, let's bring in the royalty!

MONTRÉAL ROYAUX - Purple Royalty

The Expos weren't always going to be the Expos. Per the Keri quote from the previous post:

One major step remained before the team could take the field, however: it needed a name. "Royals" emerged as an early favourite and a worthy nod to the city's baseball history, but coincidentally, Kansas City's expansion team had already adopted the name for the following season. Other proposed names included suggestions in both English and French. "Voyageurs" had a certain ring to it. On of the leading English-language candidates would presage a pivotal event in franchise history decades later: "Nationals."1

I know that it is a common desire to promote long-standing minor-league names to MLB teams. The Orioles, Padres, Brewers, Marlins, and Angels all did just that. Had the A's stayed in Kansas City or Ewing Kauffman's expansion club chosen a different name, we could assume that the Montréal team would have been the "Royals." However, Bill 101 would have complicated the name, as it's an English word. Therefore, the team would anticipate this and adopt the French translation: Royaux.

The Royaux wouldn't have much in common with their minor-league ancestors, as they're too close to the Dodgers (not that it stopped the KC Royals). While they keep the scripts, the logos and color scheme invoke a style that more resembles the '60s-'70s aesthetic mentioned in previous posts. The logo features an insignia, using the Batesina Athletica "M" with a crown and three additional Fleur-de-lis symbols (like the royal French flag). Their colors are purple and yellow, to differentiate them from the expansion partner Seattle Pilots and further diversify MLB's color schemes. A roundel forms the tertiary.

7OcdGad.png

The home and road uniforms adapt the "Montréal" uniform template for purple/yellow-gold. I implemented contrast-colored front numbers and NoB's, along with yellow-gold/purple/white/purple/yellow-gold sock stripes. The primary is on the sleeves.

q2cBwbp.png

The alternates include a gold jersey (with a gold-billed cap) and a purple top with the "M-crown" insignia and the tertiary.

3rglod9.png

The second set of alternates includes a Jackie Robinson Day set that recreates the 1946 Montréal Royals' uniforms. I used multiple sources to reconstruct the script, while porting over the Voyageurs' "tuscan M" monogram. The Canada Day set uses the royal/red color scheme, balanced akin to the Voyageurs.

U7Po0GL.png

The jackets all feature "Montréal" scripts, with templates adapted to the different color schemes and logo designs. The 1946 script comes from this example.

YtVN5aU.png 0YuTEEi.png

RiU0OWp.png

It would have been fantastic to have both a French name and a legacy identity in MLB, both of which apply to "Les Royaux de Montréal!" While I'm still glad that the team landed on the "Expos" name, it's always enjoyable to wonder what other names could have been. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, let's get into some Fishy Business...

1 Jonah Keri, Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, Le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-Fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos (Toronto: Vintage Canada, 2015), 14-15.

• Like 6

The primary and the Royaux script look good but I don't think purple and gold really carry the flag, so to speak, for Montreal or Quebec. I don't think you can have a French Canadian team in a national league that doesn't wear blue.

• Like 1

I gotta agree here. While I love Purple/Gold as a colour scheme, it just doesn't fit Montreal. I feel a look more inspired by either the 1935 Road or the 1946 Home (Which is a KC jersey, I just realised that) that you posted up from the Ebbets Field page would make for more of a Montreal-esque look: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Not the biggest fan of the purple and gold, or the m logo on the caps, maybe try the 1946 throwback logo? I think that paired with a blue and white or blue and red color scheme would work much better. I do like the Royaux script though, it’s really good!

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

But the blue and red make sense: red for the Canadian flag and blue for the provincial flag. If you believe in the Nine Nations of North America theory, then Quebec, the only one whose boundaries match existing political boundaries and the only one where French is the primary language, has to be understood as the most distinct of the nine. On the big stage of professional sports, I think any Quebec team has to represent itself in a way that, say, a Kansas City or Houston team does not. It's not lazy or accidental that just about every Quebec Nordiques concept has them in fleurdelisé blue and the 1996 prototypes are so maligned: they don't get to be a team like anyone else, so it is with Montreal baseball.

• Like 3