MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

On 9/3/2019 at 12:25 PM, heavybassX said:

Hmmmmmm wouldn't think Purple and Gold would work outside the Lakers... exceptional here.

Thanks!

On 9/3/2019 at 12:30 PM, the admiral said:

The primary and the Royaux script look good but I don't think purple and gold really carry the flag, so to speak, for Montreal or Quebec. I don't think you can have a French Canadian team in a national league that doesn't wear blue.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:38 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

I gotta agree here. While I love Purple/Gold as a colour scheme, it just doesn't fit Montreal. I feel a look more inspired by either the 1935 Road or the 1946 Home (Which is a KC jersey, I just realised that) that you posted up from the Ebbets Field page would make for more of a Montreal-esque look: 

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 9/3/2019 at 3:09 PM, teeray01 said:

I think the whole concept is pretty good but would rather see this with the blue and red.  Purple and Gold seems odd for a Montreal team.

Thanks, guys. Looking it over, I feel like the purple/yellow-gold was more me being frustrated with doing royal/white/red concepts for so long. I do have two alternate color schemes.

Royal/Yellow: an attempt to mimic the French royal colors.

AhtfIU9.png

QMl2n1F.png

UHDQmez.png

cirkpG6.png

Royal/Red/White: The traditional "Montréal"/"Quebec" color scheme, which works well for the club. I fixed the broken images @KittSmith_95 pointed out.

0gFvSU3.png

hhUjgOt.png

EFVcQWa.png

yk5NTlg.png

GPCkqEv.png

I like that a lot more, TBH. 

On 9/3/2019 at 7:17 PM, the admiral said:

But the blue and red make sense: red for the Canadian flag and blue for the provincial flag. If you believe in the Nine Nations of North America theory, then Quebec, the only one whose boundaries match existing political boundaries and the only one where French is the primary language, has to be understood as the most distinct of the nine. On the big stage of professional sports, I think any Quebec team has to represent itself in a way that, say, a Kansas City or Houston team does not. It's not lazy or accidental that just about every Quebec Nordiques concept has them in fleurdelisé blue and the 1996 prototypes are so maligned: they don't get to be a team like anyone else, so it is with Montreal baseball.

I totally see where this is coming from, as Quebec has a singular status within North America. The sports teams should reflect this, kind of like how Pittsburgh does in the Midwest. Of course there have to be subsets, as a Quebec City team is more limited to blue/white with red accents than Montréal's co-dominance (look at the Canadiens, Alouettes, and my abstract Expos designs).

The 1996 prototypes are only liked by people who aren't Nordiques fans.

On 9/3/2019 at 3:01 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Not the biggest fan of the purple and gold, or the m logo on the caps, maybe try the 1946 throwback logo? I think that paired with a blue and white or blue and red color scheme would work much better. I do like the Royaux script though, it’s really good!

Thanks! I can do that. 

96O7noc.png

I don't like it as much as the "M-crown."

On 9/3/2019 at 3:44 PM, chcarlson23 said:

The purple and gold is fantastic! I think it's excellent for a team called the Royals...

On 9/3/2019 at 3:56 PM, coco1997 said:

Guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like the purple and gold, if for no other reason than it's a nice break from the blue and red Expos concepts. ;)

Thanks! I did want a bit of a break from it, but I still think the royal/white/red is better for a Montréal team. I have better uses for purple/yellow on royal teams:

ReUcZqg.png6OljnCe.png 

On 9/4/2019 at 1:47 PM, Blindsay said:

Could you possibly try a not arched M for the alternate logo?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with this.

Anyway, want to see all four Expos designs together?

kCckOsS.png

The "eM" is still my favorite.

My next concept might be a while, since I'm starting classes soon and I'm trying to figure out names for Oklahoma City and San Antonio clubs that aren't "89ers" and "Missions," respectively. 

Edited by SFGiants58
Fixed broken images
  • Like 6

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - Montréal Royaux Updated

I have to say, your blue and gold version looks better than I ever would have expected.  But I definitely prefer the red and blue version, as those are Montreal's sporting colors.  And you nailed the logos with the Royaux. I can't think of anything I would change.

As far as names for OKC and SA, 66ers would work for either.  And I would love to see you take on a Route 66-based idea.  Vandals could work for either city as well, but I see that as more of San Antonio's jam.

• Like 1

I do got to wonder what a Purple/Gold look for the Angels would look like, given when I think of those colours, I think LA. 

Also, either one of the Blue/Yellow or Red/Blue looks works much better for Montreal, albeit one of the images appears to be broken. 

As for the next two teams .... is Armadillos too cheesy?  I love the 66ers moniker @NicDB brought up for OKC, but I'll also bring up the MiLB moniker of Missions for SA, as I quite like it and think it works fine for a MLB club. 

• Like 4

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

On 9/5/2019 at 11:11 PM, coco1997 said:

Oklahoma City:

- Oilers

- Twisters

- Wranglers

- Barons

- Cyclones 

- Pioneers

San Antonio:

- Scorpions

- Alamos

- Toros

- Outlaws

- Rebels

- Armadillos 

San Antonio Armadillos, Houston's triple a affiliate did a zombie armadillo for a twd promo. That could be a jumping off point

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 1:29 PM, Whittier S said:

It just strikes me that the name "Royaux" sounds a little bit like "Y-O" in English, and that English commentators might have fun with that somehow.

I agree.  I was hoping for a Montreal Royals concept instead.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:26 PM, SFGiants58 said:

<snip>

Can you post a larger copy of the alternate "M" version of the Montreal Royaux primary logo?

Edited by officeglenn
No need to quote that entire post, images and all, to add one line.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:26 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Royal/Yellow: an attempt to mimic the French royal colors.

Depends on which royal house you're referring to:

Capet/Valois - Blue and gold - 9th to 16th C.

Bourbon - White and gold - 16th to 19th C.

Orleans - Blue, white, red - 19th C. 

I love the Royaux, the blue/red in particular, especially the crown design.

My favorite overall Expos set is probably the eM design but I like the M-Fleur-de-lis logo better.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, NicDB said:

I have to say, your blue and gold version looks better than I ever would have expected.  But I definitely prefer the red and blue version, as those are Montreal's sporting colors.  And you nailed the logos with the Royaux. I can't think of anything I would change.

As far as names for OKC and SA, 66ers would work for either.  And I would love to see you take on a Route 66-based idea.  Vandals could work for either city as well, but I see that as more of San Antonio's jam.

Thanks! I'm thinking of doing these names:

-Oklahoma City Twisters/Oklahoma City 89ers

-San Antonio Rebeldes/San Antonio Missions

I figured that it would be a MUST for one San Antonio name to be a Spanish name. While I like the sound of 66ers, it's a little too close to 76ers. That's why I wasn't as keen on 89ers, being close to 49ers. 

On 9/5/2019 at 10:24 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

I do got to wonder what a Purple/Gold look for the Angels would look like, given when I think of those colours, I think LA. 

Also, either one of the Blue/Yellow or Red/Blue looks works much better for Montreal, albeit one of the images appears to be broken. 

As for the next two teams .... is Armadillos too cheesy?  I love the 66ers moniker @NicDB brought up for OKC, but I'll also bring up the MiLB moniker of Missions for SA, as I quite like it and think it works fine for a MLB club. 

Thank you. Well, you're in luck for a purple/yellow Angels concept! It's one I did over a year ago, simulating if Jack Kent Cooke bought the Sens/Nats off of Calvin Griffith.

1HLaM86.png 

On 9/5/2019 at 11:11 PM, coco1997 said:

Oklahoma City:

- Oilers

- Twisters

- Wranglers

- Barons

- Cyclones 

- Pioneers

San Antonio:

- Scorpions

- Alamos

- Toros

- Outlaws

- Rebels

- Armadillos 

Thanks for the suggestions!

On 9/5/2019 at 11:29 PM, NicDB said:

Knowing @SFGiants58, he'll do concepts for the Missions and 89ers. He's just looking for an alternative direction.

I will say, I'm not sure I see a San Antonio ballclub not known as the Missions ever existing. But OKC is another story.

Indeed I will, alongside original names. 

On 9/6/2019 at 1:48 PM, teeray01 said:

I think OKC Bisons sounds pretty good.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:54 PM, teeray01 said:

Also, Oklahoma City could be shortened to Oklahoma and would work well with any of the above names.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:58 PM, teeray01 said:

Before the Boston Braves and Atlanta Braves,  The Boston Rustlers existed in the National League.  I think the San Antonio Rustlers would be a great baseball name

On 9/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, teeray01 said:

San Antonio Mustangs?

Thank you, but I don't think I'll be using any of those names.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:41 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Going off the basketball team, would the name "Thunderbolts" work as a major league identity?

It was a thought, but it just didn't sit well with me for some reason.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:10 PM, bcon_731 said:

San Antonio Armadillos, Houston's triple a affiliate did a zombie armadillo for a twd promo. That could be a jumping off point

Thanks, but it's too silly for me.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:29 PM, Whittier S said:

It just strikes me that the name "Royaux" sounds a little bit like "Y-O" in English, and that English commentators might have fun with that somehow.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:53 PM, teeray01 said:

I agree.  I was hoping for a Montreal Royals concept instead.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:30 PM, Whittier S said:

Mind you, I like the Y-O thing, though I don't know why.

They probably would. Also, you're not getting a Royals concept, since using an English-language name would violate Bill 101. It has to be French, and the French language's male version of the noun "Royal" is "Royaux." 

On 9/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, teeray01 said:

Can you post a larger copy of the alternate "M" version of the Montreal Royaux primary logo?

Here you go.

k59G7vU.png

On 9/20/2019 at 9:23 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Depends on which royal house you're referring to:

Capet/Valois - Blue and gold - 9th to 16th C.

Bourbon - White and gold - 16th to 19th C.

Orleans - Blue, white, red - 19th C. 

I love the Royaux, the blue/red in particular, especially the crown design.

My favorite overall Expos set is probably the eM design but I like the M-Fleur-de-lis logo better.

Well then, it's Capet/Valois! Thanks. I do find myself liking the M-Fleur-de-lis the most, as I'm still not all-in on the abstract look.

Guys, I'm sorry that I've neglected this thread over the past few weeks. I've been starting up school again and I haven't had the time/energy to dedicate to the thread that I had before. A little writer's/designer's block hit me pretty thoroughly as well. Anyway, I'll have an explanation of the Marlins' little explorations and the first team up tomorrow. Here's a hint, we're headed to a familiar state, albeit in a far more favorable location (i.e. not the Horneytown interchange spot).

• Like 6

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! I'm thinking of doing these names:

-Oklahoma City Twisters/Oklahoma City 89ers

-San Antonio Rebeldes/San Antonio Missions

I figured that it would be a MUST for one San Antonio name to be a Spanish name. While I like the sound of 66ers, it's a little too close to 76ers. That's why I wasn't as keen on 89ers, being close to 49ers. 

Thank you. Well, you're in luck for a purple/yellow Angels concept! It's one I did over a year ago, simulating if Jack Kent Cooke bought the Sens/Nats off of Calvin Griffith.

1HLaM86.png 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Indeed I will, alongside original names. 

Thank you, but I don't think I'll be using any of those names.

It was a thought, but it just didn't sit well with me for some reason.

Thanks, but it's too silly for me.

They probably would. Also, you're not getting a Royals concept, since using an English-language name would violate Bill 101. It has to be French, and the French language's male version of the noun "Royal" is "Royaux." 

Here you go.

k59G7vU.png

Well then, it's Capet/Valois! Thanks. I do find myself liking the M-Fleur-de-lis the most, as I'm still not all-in on the abstract look.

Guys, I'm sorry that I've neglected this thread over the past few weeks. I've been starting up school again and I haven't had the time/energy to dedicate to the thread that I had before. A little writer's/designer's block hit me pretty thoroughly as well. Anyway, I'll have an explanation of the Marlins' little explorations and the first team up tomorrow. Here's a hint, we're headed to a familiar state, albeit in a far more favorable location (i.e. not the Horneytown interchange spot).

Thank you for the enlargement.  I like this version the best.  Great work as always!

• Like 2