MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

Thanks for the C+C, guys!

On 6/19/2018 at 6:52 PM, NicDB said:

Oh man... that Owgust logo is beautiful!  Great call on the Packers-style stripes on the socks too.  That might be my favorite thing about the uniforms (apart from those gorgeous scripts, but we saw those in your last project).

I'm glad you mentioned Fred Miller in your story.  In my AU, the Brewers actually stuck with brown for awhile, and added gold shortly after because those were Blatz's colors.  Blatz was the Braves main sponsor in real life, so I figured they would naturally sponsor my AU's Brewers.  But that obviously wouldn't be the case if they were sold to Miller in your universe.

About the only thing I don't like is the scripts and numbers being gold.  I understand it's part of the Orioles influence, but they just don't seem to have the contrast that orange does to really work on the home and road in particular. I'd prefer they be navy.  I also think the M would work better as the primary caps and Owgust as the "civic" cap since Owgust is much more of a civic icon.

Anyway, those are my nitpicks... great work, as usual!

Thanks! I figured that since Fred Miller was in the Cardinals discussion, he should probably be in the Browns-Brewers one as well. I didn't know that about Blatz, so that's good to learn about it. Thanks. I'm going to keep that in mind for my Milwaukee Braves alternate take.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the yellow scripts and numbers. I had to take the yellow down from 1235 C to 123 C, for less saturation. Still, the uniforms look good with the switched around colors and cap logo:

nxIHWGt.png JQhVBxI.png

ZhOJvPm.png CJgI1fs.png

On 6/19/2018 at 7:01 PM, MJD7 said:

To get the one nitpick I have out of the way: I'm not too big a fan of the light blue alt, the color just looks a little too strong to me and it looks slightly odd to me not being present anywhere other than the jersey. If it were me, I would prefer a Cardinals-style powder blue fauxback alt like you did earlier in the thread.

However, I love the gold alternate. I also don't think I mentioned in the last series how much I love that sock stripe for the Brewers. The logos are pretty great too. Well done as usual! Looking forward to the A's.

Thanks! Here is the Special Event uniform with full powder blue, which looked really good!

MngYwxj.png

I still like the "deep" powder more, but the full-bodied light powder is a fantastic look.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:33 PM, tigers said:

Yes, sky blue YES.

That gold alternate is my pick for uniform of the day so far.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:18 PM, MBurmy said:

Wow...that was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

Now I wish our IRL Brew Crew had that as their visual identity...

On 6/20/2018 at 8:08 AM, coco1997 said:

WOW. I think this is one of your best concept sets to date. It's great to see Owgust front and center (maybe the most underrated cartoon mascot in the league's history) and the scripts are just gorgeous. And those sock stripes... *chef's kiss.*

Can't wait to see the Philadelphia A's!

On 6/20/2018 at 9:03 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

Milwaukee should give you a call this is the most beautiful Brewers concept I have ever seen.

Thanks, guys! This was a really fun concept to put together.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:21 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I need that sky blue jersey. 

Like really need it. I need it the way I need brown mustard and sauerkraut on my brat at the Old German Beer Hall on 3rd St. I need it the way I need maraschino cherries in my brandy old fashioned at the Safe House.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:54 PM, NicDB said:

That tourist trap?! ?

I 'll chase my brandy old fashioned with a tapper of PBR from the Roman Coin on Brady like Gorman Thomas used to do!

On 6/20/2018 at 12:40 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I don't care if its a tourist trap. I still love that bar. 

However, I had better just sample several Roman Coin old fashioneds for comparison. 

Thanks, guys! I've not been to Safe House yet, nor have I visited Roman Coin. I'll get around to it eventually, once I try to head to a few other Milwaukee haunts (e.g., Conejitos, Emperor of China, etc.). I do frequently shop at Glorioso's and the Public Market, so there's that.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:45 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

I like the logo package a TON, except for the swinging barrel man. He looks disproportionate for whatever reason. I really like the main logo, great work. Love the way you worked powder blue into the scheme. The gold alt is absolutely fabulous, and so is the hat that goes along with it. Pretty flawless concept, again.

If I were to make one change, I would remove the swingin’ barrel man logo. Its just a bit clunky for my liking (hope that makes sense). I think thas just me though (unpopular opinion). 

Thanks! I'm glad you like the incorporation of powder blue into the set and the different alternates/roundel. I get where you're coming from with the full-body Owgust, given the angle on the legs and the motion lines. I may have overcorrected from the old Owgust (legs too long and diagonal), and the motion lines are a bit of an acquired taste. Still, I'm happy with it.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:36 PM, Gothamite said:

Wow. 

Bravo, @SFGiants58.  Bravo. 

On 6/20/2018 at 7:53 AM, Moser316 said:

Your swinging Owgust fixes the problem that I always had with the 1970-77 Owgust:  the 1970-77 one is too diagonal, yours is much more orthogonal.  That alone makes this a great concept, the rest is just icing on the cake.  Great work!

Thanks, guys! I tried to get the best blend of the Borchert Field Owgust logos and the 1970-77 one. I wanted to correct the awkward angle on the one from the 1970s while also giving him a much-needed cleanup with details from the 1940s. In that spirit, I've revised my Project 32 concept to include the new guy along with some dashes of powder and script tweaks (I lowered the tail).

Edit 11/8/2019: I updated Owgust, per @Gothamite's recommendation. Here are the originals: Logo SheetHome and RoadAlternatesHeritage Uniforms, and Dugout Jacket.

1xFi0SU.png

8h4mFxm.png

BICjbzL.png

81bSXVK.png

HlEJfl9.png

I think the two go pretty well together.

The A's shall be up today!

Edited by SFGiants58
Added Image, then updated Owgust
  • Like 10

19 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks for the C+C, guys!

I tried to get the best blend of the Borchert Field Owgust logos and the 1970-77 one. I wanted to correct the awkward angle on the one from the 1970s while also giving him a much-needed cleanup with details from the 1940s. In that spirit, I've revised my Project 32 concept to include the new guy along with some dashes of powder and script tweaks (I lowered the tail).

phA7OrO.png

hhiIfjG.png

wD1i9vN.png

l5GjbcN.png

ELP6imz.png

I think the two go pretty well together.

d96.jpg

This set is bee-you-tee-ful. Simply glorious.

• Like 5

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

On 6/22/2018 at 12:11 PM, coco1997 said:

Big fan of that all-powder blue set. And I agree that the navy scripts work better than the yellow ones. Still, the yellow was a nice idea.

Can't wait to see the A's!

On 6/22/2018 at 12:22 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

(Image from one of my favorite Disney movies)

This set is bee-you-tee-ful. Simply glorious.

Thanks, guys! @coco1997, I'm glad you like the navy scripts and the reshuffled cap logos. I think it strikes a better balance between the Orioles and AA Brewers (more towards Brewers with a few Oriole touches). Here's the full update:

EDIT (11/9/2019): I've updated Owgust, per @Gothamite's suggestions. Here are the previous updates: Logo SheetHome and RoadAlternatesSpecial Events Alternatesand the first dugout jacket (second one added later).

1G9hTID.png

UCUG3Um.png

OLUmRW5.png

FatlGXs.png

Gj5YTV0.png QrIjNcC.png

It's a bit more Brewer-y and less of an Orioles copy. Besides, the powder uniform now looks like the 1970-71 powder blues worn by the modern team, which I like.

The A's should be up in a few.

Edited by SFGiants58
Added the dugout jacket, then I updated Owgust.
  • Like 4

PHILADELPHIA ATHLETICS, PT. I - Mack Quits While He’s Ahead

EDIT (5/27/2019): I have done a large update of the design, here is the link.

When observing baseball history, one may wonder why the Athletics left Philadelphia when they were historically more successful than the Phillies. Here is an excellent article by Robert D. Warrington from SABR that sums it up, but for those of you who want the short version, here it is:

aeKhyEW.png

giphy.gif

That is the best summary of the A’s existence from the 1930s-1954.

The fall of the Athletics began when The Great Depression led to the dissolution of the second dynasty team (1929-30 World Series champions, 1931 AL pennant winners), with owner/manager Connie Mack penny-pinching to keep the team alive. Compounding the issue were family squabbles within the Mack/Shibe-MacFarland family partnership that owned the team. The Shibe-MacFarland family had lost much of their leadership by the end of the ‘30s, with Tom and John Shibe dying in 1936 and 1937 respectively. This pitted Mack’s two groups of children (Roy and Earle from his first marriage and Connie Jr. from the second) against each other, as Connie Sr. slipped further into dementia.1

By 1950, the Mack siblings could no longer ignore the team’s financial and on-field issues. Conflicts in organization philosophy between Connie Jr. and Roy/Earle led to Connie Jr. and his mother gaining a majority of shares in the team (with the Shibe-MacFarland family). Roy and Earle took out a loan of $1,750,000 to buy out Connie Jr. in 1950, but soon found that repaying said loan would be difficult. They were losing money in 1953 and ’54, with uncompetitive teams drawing poorly at the box office. Compounding this issue was something that had happened to the Braves and Browns before them – intercity competition.2

The Phillies, despite being the historically less successful team, came under the ownership of Robert Carpenter in 1943. Under Carpenter’s leadership and with his extensive commercial empire fueling the pocketbook, the Phillies rose in stature. By 1950 they had won the NL pennant and had outdrawn the fading Athletics, whose thin coffers doomed them to non-contention. Additionally, the Phillies paid only a small sum to rent Shibe Park from the Athletics, so Roy and Earle could not depend on a sizeable income from their tenant.3

As 1954 drew on, Roy and Earle Mack had to buoy the club with either additional investors or selling the club to new owners. Earle quietly withdrew from running the club as Roy took command of the effort. While there were numerous local owners wanting to keep the team in Philadelphia, Kansas City’s Arnold Johnson emerged as a suitor. He would offer more guaranteed money to Roy Mack and move the team to Kansas City. He also had the favor of the American League owners, especially the New York Yankees for his ownership of numerous team assets (I called him a “toadie” in the original version of this write-up).4

Between September and November 1954, Johnson and a syndicate of Philadelphia businessmen vied for the Athletics, with Johnson winning out after the Philadelphia syndicate could only put forth $1.4 million of their $4 million purchase agreement. Such a lack of funding would ward off any potential seller (outside of the NHL) On November 8, 1954, the American League made the move to Kansas City official, once Johnson sold all of his Yankees-related assets (e.g., Yankee Stadium itself). Mack’s penny-pinching, senility, family squabbles, and his son Roy’s lack of faith in local buyers doomed the Philadelphia Athletics.5

Original explanation (and TL;DR) here:

Spoiler

Family squabbles within the Mack and Shibe families, cheap ownership (the A’s were the Mack family’s only asset, compared to the Phillies being only one part of Robert Carpenter’s commercial empire), and poor play under the leadership of an increasingly-senile Connie Mack lead to the A’s falling behind to the Phillies. They were in a poor enough position that the AL owners approved of their sale to the Yankee Toadie and move to Kansas City.

However, what if Connie Mack quit while he was ahead? What if he sold the team to Philadelphia investors (maybe Bob Carpenter) during the ‘30s or ‘40s, allowing the team to remain in Philadelphia?

I figured that with the team staying in Philadelphia and Charlie O. Finley not buying the team, they would stick to blue as their main color. I chose a blue that was a split between royal and navy (both worn by the team - scroll and you'll see), namely 281 C (used by the 1970s Dallas Cowboys). I added yellow gold as an accent color to reference the city’s Swedish heritage/flag, the A’s and Phillies' experiments with that color scheme (see the previous link), and to differentiate the team from the Tigers (my biggest problem with the A’s old design - too close for comfort). 

The modern elephant logo (which I’m sure the team would have developed eventually) resides in a keystone for the primary, with the wordmarks within and below it. The secondary is the Old English A, which is modified from my Project 32 “A’s” insignia. The wordmark uses a simplified Old English font, for better reproduction at small sizes.

uoC6JQE.png

The uniforms borrow the striping style from the 1950 golden jubilee uniforms while incorporating a yellow-gold double stripe on the socks. The full-bodied elephant is on the sleeve. The road uniform uses an Old English P, modified from the logo of the Stockton Ports (an A’s affiliate ). I figured that the A’s would have made more of an effort to acknowledge their city, especially if the Phillies moved away.  

Zchk06V.png

The alternates are pretty straightforward. The first is a yellow-gold jersey with the full “Athletics” wordmark with an underline, as the team would not have experimented with cursive scripts (1954 doesn’t count, as the team had one foot out the door by that point). The second is a blue top featuring a “P” cap in the style of the modern A’s. It also features the primary, for more city name promotion.

3XvLxBF.png

The dugout jacket is pretty standard fare, with the team name spelled out (like the Yankees’ dugout jacket) and the primary on the sleeve.

4Dyuuct.png

Designing an A’s concept without any Charlie O. touches was pretty fun. They have modern touches, yet are clearly descendants of the teams led by Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons, Mickey Cochrane, Lefty Grove, Chief Bender, Frank “Home Run” Baker, and the two Eddies (Collins and Plank). C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, a few Charlie O. touches come our way!

1 John E. Peterson, The Kansas City Athletics: A Baseball History, 1954–1967 (Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 2012), 12–22; Robert D. Warrington, “Departure Without Dignity: The Athletics Leave Philadelphia | Society for American Baseball Research,” Society for American Baseball Research, accessed June 25, 2018, https://sabr.org/research/departure-without-dignity-athletics-leave-philadelphia.

2 Warrington, “Departure Without Dignity: The Athletics Leave Philadelphia | Society for American Baseball Research.”

3 Warrington.

4 Peterson, The Kansas City Athletics, 11–22.

5 Warrington, “Departure Without Dignity: The Athletics Leave Philadelphia | Society for American Baseball Research.”

Edited by SFGiants58
Large Update Noted and expanded explanation
  • Like 24

As a diehard Oakland A's fans, I REALLY want to hate this concept and everything it stands for...but I can't. Fantastic work again!

Unlike their IRL Oakland counterparts, your Philly A's actually USE their elephant.

• Like 3

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

I would prefer to see a "Phila" wordmark on the roads. Think of the possibilities in playing with the A at the end.

Other than that, I don't have a single complaint about these. I can't wait for the next concept!

EDIT: The Brewers are absolutely gogreous now. Easily my favorite in the series so far.

• Like 1

Incredible work once again. This would go down as one of the all-time classic looks in baseball had history taken this direction. 

The Charlie O. reference leads me to believe we'll see a green and gold version of this concept next?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Incredible work once again. This would go down as one of the all-time classic looks in baseball had history taken this direction. 

This is exactly what I was going to say. It’d be right up there with the Yankees, Tigers, Cardinals, and Dodgers.

• Like 2

First I thought you could not out do the Brewers Blue, but then you showed is the A's yellow......... I sir think that this is the best ever concept uniform I've seen.

The free thinking you have shown is absolutely perfect.

• Like 1

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:33 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

As a diehard Oakland A's fans, I REALLY want to hate this concept and everything it stands for...but I can't. Fantastic work again!

Unlike their IRL Oakland counterparts, your Philly A's actually USE their elephant.

Thanks! I can totally see where you're coming from with that one. I've got to make the New York, Minnesota, Toronto, San Jose, and Tampa Bay Giants! 

I really wanted the elephant to take center stage, seeing as how it's so important to the team's identity.

On 6/22/2018 at 6:09 PM, NicDB said:

I would prefer to see a "Phila" wordmark on the roads. Think of the possibilities in playing with the A at the end.

Other than that, I don't have a single complaint about these. I can't wait for the next concept!

EDIT: The Brewers are absolutely gogreous now. Easily my favorite in the series so far.

Thank you! Playing with the road script does produce some good looks, which included angled "Phila," "Philadelphia," and "PhilA" wordmarks, along with a 1968 A's-style "PHILA" design.

E3maRII.png

3j2RKii.png

On 6/22/2018 at 6:09 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

Love this set. Logos, uniforms, just awesome. Would love to see the “P” hat paired with the road uni, but I get why you went with the other cap. Really looks good.

I also really love the woodmark.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:50 AM, tigers said:

First I thought you could not out do the Brewers Blue, but then you showed is the A's yellow......... I sir think that this is the best ever concept uniform I've seen.

The free thinking you have shown is absolutely perfect.

Thanks, guys! This one was a fun concept.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:25 PM, coco1997 said:

The Charlie O. reference leads me to believe we'll see a green and gold version of this concept next?

On 6/22/2018 at 8:39 PM, MJD7 said:

This is exactly what I was going to say. It’d be right up there with the Yankees, Tigers, Cardinals, and Dodgers.

Thanks, guys! I wanted something that had a "century look" feeling, a classic that has basically been the same for decades (with some tweaks along the way).

On 6/24/2018 at 8:00 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Could Philadelphia actually support both the Athletics and the Phillies? I think the Phillies might've been the ones on the short end of the stick. They may have been the ones to move, since they weren't as good, or as successful as the A's were...

That was my reasoning behind the concept. I assumed that the A's sticking around would necessitate the Phillies leaving. The A's didn't have a guy like Bob Carpenter who could improve the farm/scouting system's status, nor did they have the Carpenter family's cash. The Great Depression hit the A's hard, and the Mack family didn't have the necessary assets/investments to turn things around or sell the team. The Carpenters (working with the A's for a bit) might have bailed them out had they not bought the Phillies (who would either fold or go to another owner that wouldn't turn things around like the Carpenters).1 At the end of the day, the A's moved because the organization went to crap right as the Phillies got their crap together.

Anyway, it's alternate take time!

PHILADELPHIA ATHLETICS, PT. II - The Finnleyman Cometh

For this alternate take, let's say that the A's stuck around in Philadelphia under new ownership after 1954. Instead of selling to the Yankee Toadie (Arnold Johnson) and moving to Kansas City, local Philadelphia investors bought the team (e.g., Harry Sylk).2 The team has roughly the same visual history as the Kansas City Athletics, with new ownership trying to put their stamp on the team. However, a very certain gentleman/crazy dude would come into the picture.

charlie_finley-e1466709464962.jpgDWh87cp.png

Charlie O. Finley buys the team in the early 1960s and begins transforming them in his image. Navy and red give way to Kelly Green and Yellow, with white cleats and bright bold colors. His abilities net the team three World Series titles in the 1970s, bringing the team their first sustained period of success since 1929-31. While he eventually sells the team due to problems (being a bit of dick to players and pissing off the AL owners), green and yellow stick around. New ownership in the 1980s, much like Walter A. Haas Jr. in our timeline, decides to tweak Charlie O's colors by darkening the green to a Hunter/Forest-like shade. While the scripts made a controversial return in the late-'80s/early-'90s or so, the winning that followed their reintroduction endeared them to the fans (again, much like what happened in Oakland).

Basically, this concept is my attempt to adjust the Oakland look to fit with Philadelphia. I tweaked the dark green shade to 3305 C instead of 3537 C, as the former had a bit more blue in it. The logos use the Futura font of the current team (albeit a different weight), alongside the 1993-94 elephant. I rather like that logo and I thought that a later redesign would incorporate something like that. It's placed in a keystone with the founding date, city name, and the "A" insignia (assuming that the "apostrophe s" addition would go away during the '80s). The elephant is white because John McGraw didn't call the team a "green/blue/grey/pink elephant."

kZXE7FF.png

The uniforms are a mix of my Philadelphia A's concept above (jersey/pants striping) and my Oakland A's work (scripts, sock striping is Oaks-like, cap design, white cleats). The big modification from both of those is the introduction of yellow front numbers with a gold outline. I thought it added a nice bit of contrast/was further justification for wearing the gold-billed cap on the road (because it looks so damn good - the A's should NEVER wear a road cap). The new elephant is on the sleeve, while a "Phila" script is on the road uniform ("Philadelphia" would be too long and "Phila" is a legal abbreviation of the name, something the Warriors/Sixers have long done).

ykIyY2l.png

The first set of alternates are colored tops with the "A" insignia. The yellow one is pretty self-explanatory, while the green one features an alternate cap with the "P" insignia and the keystone logo on the sleeve. The addition of the Philadelphia signifiers makes it a better road alt.

gfbUvXd.png

The next two alternates are homages to the team's past. The first is a uniform that tributes the team's classic template, albeit in Forest Green/Athletic Gold. I figured there would be enough fan demand for it, so the team would introduce it (a la the Mets' snow-white set/the Giants' "SF" roadies ). The other one is a 1929-31 alt, to homage the pre-Charlie O identity. I added the current elephant logo, as it felt appropriate for the design (with the propernot "period-correct-ish, "A" logo on the Mothership). I used the previously-linked image and this one to recreate the 1930s "A" designs.

ESAUJLf.png

The dugout jackets use a similar template to my previous concept, with the first one doing a bit of a color swap. This jacket also features the home script, cap logo, and primary mark. The throwback has the elephant on the placket, with a new "19  A  01" insignia.

t5Dfxrq.png qh7CY0l.png

The Charlie O touch certainly makes the Philadelphia Athletics stand out more among the "Old Boys Club" of the original eight AL clubs. While it separates the team a bit from the exploits of Foxx and Grove, it more than makes up for it by honoring the victories of the Swingin' A's and the LaRussa squads! C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, it's time for the New York Giants (who, along with the A's, will appear a lot in this series)!

1 Robert D. Warrington, “Departure Without Dignity: The Athletics Leave Philadelphia | Society for American Baseball Research,” Society for American Baseball Research, accessed June 25, 2018, https://sabr.org/research/departure-without-dignity-athletics-leave-philadelphia.

Ibid.

Edited by SFGiants58
New logos on the 1930 Alternate.
  • Like 10

Yeah, that Phila woodmark is something special. Love that elephant logo! Lots going on but it works. And the Sunday alt is incredible. I would see the A’s using that now. Really good look.

Only critique is I would almost prefer to see the “Phila” mark replace one of the “A’s” on the green or gold uniform.

All of those Philadelphia road sets look great. I particularly like the 1968 version.

And the Charlie O Philly A's look pretty great too! I like the yellow front numbers and the Sunday alt.

My only gripe comes with the green alt. Something about it looks strange to me. I think the front number probably stands out too much, if it were me I would make the "A" and the number match, whether it be white or yellow. I would also make the striping all yellow or maybe a double-piping sort of like your dugout jacket.

Overall, well done. Looking forward to the Giants!

On 6/25/2018 at 3:12 AM, SFGiants58 said:

3j2RKii.png

I wonder what the PhilA wordmark would look like if you moved up the "hli" and put the droptail between the P and A.  Kind of like the old Twins droptail that underlined the "win."

Granted, I'm sure you've moved on, and I'm excited to see where you go with the Giants since they also moved to Bloomington in my AU.

8 hours ago, NicDB said:

I wonder what the PhilA wordmark would look like if you moved up the "hli" and put the droptail between the P and A.  Kind of like the old Twins droptail that underlined the "win."

Granted, I'm sure you've moved on, and I'm excited to see where you go with the Giants since they also moved to Bloomington in my AU.

Thanks! That sounded like a good idea, so I went with it! I think it turned out a tad better.

txkIdDh.png

I'm still not the biggest fan of it, but the mini-tail improved the look. 

I'll be coming at the Bloomington move through a few names, with "Minneapolis," "Twin Cities," and "Minnesota" options. 

On 6/25/2018 at 1:43 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I will love any Philadelphia uniform with a "PHILA" design.

This might be the best I've ever seen. 

On 6/25/2018 at 5:47 AM, coco1997 said:

That "Phila" wordmark is fantastic! The front numbers are a nice touch, too.

Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks! The "Phila" script was a bit of pain to get right, due to incorporating the "P" into the cursive script. I'm surprised that gold front numbers aren't in more A's concepts, given how they really complement the look of the cap and de-necessitate the road hat.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:35 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

Yeah, that Phila woodmark is something special. Love that elephant logo! Lots going on but it works. And the Sunday alt is incredible. I would see the A’s using that now. Really good look.

Only critique is I would almost prefer to see the “Phila” mark replace one of the “A’s” on the green or gold uniform.

Thanks! I was debating whether or not to make the Sunday uniform the home design, but I decided against it for being too "Tigers-like" (Old English insignia at home, cursive script on road). You are right in that the "Phila" script is fantastic on both alts, even though I prefer the "A" for tradition's sake.

2PkNTx2.png

On 6/25/2018 at 3:53 PM, MJD7 said:

All of those Philadelphia road sets look great. I particularly like the 1968 version.

And the Charlie O Philly A's look pretty great too! I like the yellow front numbers and the Sunday alt.

My only gripe comes with the green alt. Something about it looks strange to me. I think the front number probably stands out too much, if it were me I would make the "A" and the number match, whether it be white or yellow. I would also make the striping all yellow or maybe a double-piping sort of like your dugout jacket.

Overall, well done. Looking forward to the Giants!

Thanks! I agree with your assessment on the front number and striping, hence this mini-update with a new striping design based on the dugout jacket and a yellow-gold front number.

Mb9JEdq.png

vgs0hYi.png

I also improved the accuracy of the 1929-30 alternate because, as other board members have attested to, the Mothership can get woefully inaccurate with some teams. This is especially the case when it comes to vintage baseball, where @CC97 will sometimes use out-of-date Cooperstown Collection files (like the Philly A's), inaccurate colorways ('69-'70 White Sox didn't have powder road uniforms), or poor-quality recreations (that whole Phillies page). I don't want to knock Chris, as it is an amazing free research database, but I do wish the site was more accurate and had more thorough updates. 

JaMqJ2C.png

KSSnfQl.png

Yp9WAKj.png

The Giants should be up soon!

• Like 5