MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

On 2/8/2019 at 8:27 AM, coco1997 said:

Great work! This is a really nice combination of vintage (the Grays/late '70s style White Sox scripts and numbers) and  modern (the very '90s black/blue/metallic gold color scheme) elements. 

My only gripe is that the script on the black alt is very muddled looking, but if the rule is that white and metallic gold never touch, I'm not sure there's a way around it.

As always, looking forward to whatever's next!

EDIT: How about putting the "DC" monogram on the front of the black alt?

Thanks! I really wanted to keep the Pirates’ status as a black-based team for the move. I figured the vintage-modern blend would work really well here.

I’ve got a revised color balance later in the post, which solves the muddling. Also, that DC insignia works well on the black jersey. Thanks for the idea!

nUCrtF8.png

On 2/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, NicDB said:

I would spend the rest of the afternoon giving this likes if I could.  This is exactly what the Brewers need to look like!  Any chance we could also see it in the current navy for the sake of comparison? (then I promise to stop bothering you 😛)

Re: Pirates as Nationals

I really want to like the gold scripts and numbers more than I do.  But I really only like them on the blue alt.  I get what you're trying to accomplish here, but I don't think it works well enough to avoid just doing a straight up version of the Nationals in the old Caps/Wizards colors.  Especially when I imagine Pittsburgh would have been able to cut a Cleveland deal over this.

Thanks! I really enjoyed putting it together. I’ve got a few color schemes for you:

Edit (11/8/2019): I updated the Owgust design per @Gothamite's recommendation. 

Navy/Yellow-Gold:

jYIaqHW.png

Navy/Metallic Gold:

rSMdddg.png

”Shamrock Series” (a Project 32 favorite)

d1b9VWD.png

Athletic Gold "Shamrock/Lambeau Series" design:

4gstrCL.png

I think you’re right about my color balance for the Nationals. I opted for the 1990s-style color scheme, if only because I didn’t want to add a navy team. The metallic gold doesn’t make for all that great of a primary color, especially when the Pirates have rarely been a gold-first team. So, I’ve redistributed the colors to be black/gold/slate, which looks far less muddy.

WPCVDKq.png

I8eQNAv.png

p6pkikK.png

0zqxxeu.png

Thanks for the suggestion! It really cleaned things up.

With concern for a “Cleveland Deal” (which is something I oppose, due to record transfers) or a “Winnipeg Jets Deal” (a much better idea), I’m sure a new Pittsburgh club would have adopted the Pirates’ name, colors, and font. However, I’m not sure a Pittsburgh expansion would be on a post-1970s expansion scope. The market shrank considerably follow the ‘60s due to various economic circumstances (I remember @the admiral claiming that the diaspora partially explains the nation-wide Steelers fandom). The diaspora gets frequent mentions in period articles about the Pirates’ fading fortunes in the post-1979 & pre-Bonds era.

On 2/10/2019 at 8:53 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

A Nationals concept that ISN'T Red, White, and Blue? What kind of world are we living in?

It's a great concept idea nonetheless.

It’s a world where navy/red doesn’t jive all that well with the modern image of the Pirates (or the next team on the docket).

Thanks! The new concept should be up soon.

Edited by SFGiants58
New Owgust Design
  • Like 6

Would be interested in a whole set based around the grays. Seems kinda cool. I really like what you did. Big 2000s Washington sports vibes! Really love that font. My favorite thing here!

Edit: Do you have the font name btw?

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

jYIaqHW.png

I think you've hit a pretty important "sweet spot" here.  Not many concepts look like the same team that played in both the 1982 World Series and the 2018 NLCS.  I think all these need is a powder blue road option; and maybe a full-color alt jersey and gold-front alt hat.

Re: Nationals Updates

Looking way better here!  I would maybe experiment with slate numbers.  I also think that DC logo is way too good to not use on a cap.  Maybe do it in gold on the road cap (since there's barely any white on the uniform).  And probably a slate bill/squatchee on the home cap.  I think you'd end up with a quintessentially 90s look that still holds up now, like the Mariners or the original Marlins.

EDIT: I think I'd like to see how a gold DC looks on the logo too, if at all possible.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 4:04 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Would be interested in a whole set based around the grays. Seems kinda cool. I really like what you did. Big 2000s Washington sports vibes! Really love that font. My favorite thing here!

Edit: Do you have the font name btw?

Thanks! I got those vibes as well. The font is UA Tiffany, an old Conrad font.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, coco1997 said:

The redistributed colors on the Nats are a big improvement. No more muddiness on the scripts.

Thanks!

On 2/11/2019 at 10:23 PM, NicDB said:

I think you've hit a pretty important "sweet spot" here.  Not many concepts look like the same team that played in both the 1982 World Series and the 2018 NLCS.  I think all these need is a powder blue road option; and maybe a full-color alt jersey and gold-front alt hat.

Re: Nationals Updates

Looking way better here!  I would maybe experiment with slate numbers.  I also think that DC logo is way too good to not use on a cap.  Maybe do it in gold on the road cap (since there's barely any white on the uniform).  And probably a slate bill/squatchee on the home cap.  I think you'd end up with a quintessentially 90s look that still holds up now, like the Mariners or the original Marlins.

EDIT: I think I'd like to see how a gold DC looks on the logo too, if at all possible.

Thanks! I'll knock up those updates in my next post. The way you're describing the updates for the Nats, it kind of reminds me of the Germanic Brewers' later iteration (which I like).

Anyway, onto the next team!

WASHINGTON NATIONALS (former Baltimore Orioles) - Founding a cartoon

We are all familiar (or will soon be) with Peter Angelos’ many attempts to prevent a team from moving to Washington, D.C.’s RFK Stadium. He saw DC as Orioles territory (part of the reason why he held off on a “Baltimore” script for the road uniforms for so long), which both antagonized many attempts to place a team in the market and resulted in the MASN disaster. Angelos was not alone in seeing DC as Orioles country. In fact, one of his predecessors wanted to take it a bit further.

Edward Bennett Williams, a minority owner of the Washington Football Team, bought the Orioles in 1979. It was heavily rumored that he wanted to move the team to DC for the 1981 season. However, the team wound up renewing their lease at Memorial Stadium, despite the DC Armory Board offering them a 1-year, $12,500 per month lease. The Orioles would rather be Washington’s team by proxy (with the possibility of playing 13 games at RFK each year), rather than playing in the city proper.1

However, what if the O’s had pulled a Spanos and committed to a full-time move? 

I opted to use the Nationals name again since the Rangers still owned the “Senators” trademark. Since I didn’t want to add another navy/red team to the AL East, the team would use the Presidential Seal colors in a co-dominant fashion. Copper appears as an accent color.

The most obvious part of this translation is to do as I did for my St. Louis Browns alternate take, turning Wally Bird into a Founding Father. Using a few references and some much-appreciated help from @Htown1141, I made the adaptation. He’s in a roundel for the primary and on his own for the secondary. The “W” on his tricorn hat and the tertiary is the 1955-60 Washington Senators’ cap logoEDIT: I forgot to add the flesh Pantone, original image here.

Bjx4r2V.png

The uniforms feature slightly-adjusted versions of the modern Nationals’ scripts, with 1960s-early ‘90s Orioles-style hard edges on the letters. Double outlines and three-layer striping takes full advantage of the color scheme, with the sock stripes adapt the 1960s Orioles’ pattern. The caps have a slate blue bill, while the primary is on the sleeves.

CMQofZp.png

The alternates include both slate and black jerseys. The slate jersey has a white front-panel cap, while the black jersey uses the road script.

otAi5ti.png

The second set of alts pairs the white front-panel cap with the home uniform, while also offering a pinstriped throwback. This one places the Founding Father on the sleeve while placing the “W” on the cap. I re-used the script from my Washington Padres concept, while placing the block W on the cap.

dTNaJU1.png

The jacket highlights the co-dominance of each color. EDIT: This design now features a Swingin' Founder!

WW0PzWI.png c55Fppu.png

While the Orioles pulling a Spanos would have been an awful idea, they could have adapted their identity well enough. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, I’ve got some updates to Defunct Saga and Project 32 concepts!

1 Dave Kindred, “Orioles Destined To Flee,” The Washington Post, August 8, 1979, https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1979/08/03/orioles-destined-to-flee/e3301bdb-2e2d-4e48-8e4a-a855709e8521/; Jane Leavy, “Birds Renew Lease,” The Washington Post, July 1, 1980, https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1980/07/01/birds-renew-lease/89728653-063c-45bc-ad1d-4d2fe7994cd1/?utm_term=.6cf097574026; Jake Russell, “San Diego Padres Were Once so Close to Moving to D.C. They Had Uniforms and Everything - The Washington Post,” The Washington Post - D.C. Sports Blog, June 16, 2016, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/06/16/the-time-the-san-diego-padres-were-this-close-to-moving-to-d-c/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.12b3e5479833; Nancy Scannell and John Feinstein, “Washington Hopes to Lure Williams,” The Washington Post, August 3, 1979, https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1979/08/03/washington-hopes-to-lure-williams/669bb873-2879-43d2-adc2-07e43ac1b5b7/. 

Edited by SFGiants58
New images
  • Like 11

On 2/15/2019 at 6:19 PM, Topherlee2 said:

Really like the Orioles style of the Washington Nationals especially with the presidential seal colors. The cartoon founding father reminds me of the Washington Senators 'pitching senator' logo though.

Thanks! I was kind of going for that vibe for the design, albeit a bit cleaner.

@ren69 did a fantastic clean-up of the Sens' design.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:08 PM, coco1997 said:

This is brilliant! The re-purposed King Louis logo, the color balance, the sock stripes...everything is great. The white front paneled cap option is the best look, in my opinion.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:27 PM, OregonAF2 said:

This is so awesome that you can do these great uniforms concepts.  You should try and do designs the actual uniforms for comparison purposes.  But I am so impressed and like what I see.

21 hours ago, JG36 said:

Kind of a weird logo, but still, just like the St. Louis one, I love it!

Thanks, guys!

I've got a few updates ready to go!

For @NicDB, I've got some Brewers alternates and the Nats tweak.

hWaPEZN.png

I rather like how these turned out, especially the alternate cap.

t1M23s2.png

9E3YRE5.png

I'm not totally sure about the slate numbers, but I do like the "DC" on the cap.

Now, it's time to update the Oriole-ized  St. Louis Browns, with a tweaked version of Swingin' Louie! I've tweaked his hair, nose, eyebrows, and eye outlines to look a bit more complete. Thanks for the consult, @Htown1141!

74mQsl0.png

OqC8y9c.png

9UDRTmk.png

nWeVAKO.png

91s8mGg.png

t5HDvgB.png G80AzUu.png

It now looks a bit more polished now.

• Like 8

Just now, coco1997 said:

All the updates look great!

As for updating some previous concepts, I'd still like to see a full green/gold/red set for the Los Angeles A's. :)

Thanks! The LA A's will receive their update in due time, but I also feel like giving them an additional re-do. I'm not happy with how they turned out.

I've also got a Project 32 update of the Baltimore Orioles!

While compiling all of the Orioles-based designs, I began to have issues with my original Orioles concept (the link describes the thought process behind it). I really didn't like how my attempt to clean up the 1956-72 road script turned out, as I didn't go far enough to clean it up to the standard of the home design. I've revised it to use the "B" from my Oriole-ized Browns concept, while also cleaning up the letterforms and matching the home script a bit more.

LdEkksp.png

Both the Wally Bird cap logo and the Swingin' Bird have been adjusted to feature the new "B." Here is the updated cap logo comparison, along with one for the Swingin' Bird design.

I adjusted the primary logo to use a larger Swingin' Bird, for ease of embroidery. The team wordmark now bears the city name, rendered in Futura Bold.

AA6hJPi.png

The uniform designs are relatively unchanged, save for some striping resizing and replacing the cursive B cap with the new rendering.

blrFHFP.png

HnAZIcC.png

fWlkrtq.png

o3MlEMC.png

Now that I've got the Orioles up to my modern standard, let's get to comparisons! These include the Orioles, St. Louis Browns, Oriole-ized Browns, re-established Brewers, and AL Nationals.

9FxPgnI.png IoCqOHh.png

KBMVGV5.png

I'd say that I've got a handle on how to design the O's and their many derivatives. 

Q7d9.gif

Up next, we head to Virginia for some Fury-ous designs!

• Like 10

The Pirates x Nationals combination isn’t my favorite personally, but you definitely did all you could while maintaining the color balance you desired, which I understand. 

The Orioles x Nationals does better at balancing out the colors without being muddy, mostly because you have more to work with and can afford to bring in more blue. I especially love the home uniforms, the sock design, as well as the George Washington logo and updated King Louie. 

Great job as always!

• Like 1

The Boston Braves were renamed the Boston Bees from 1936 to 1941 and The Philadelphia Phillies were briefly known as the Philadelphia Blue Jays in the 1940's.  And before the Cleveland Indians were the Cleveland Spiders.  Would love to see your version of these.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2019 at 10:27 AM, coco1997 said:

So the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels/Anaheim Angels/California Angels might add Long Beach Angels to their list of names? Or would it still be Los Angeles,or maybe they go back to California Angels. Also they could go to Orange County Angels

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php