MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

Good god that Destroyers uniform is so pleasing to the eye!

I can imagine some people will claim it's too similar to the Yankees.  If you want to experiment with black or graphite to facilitate them, go ahead; but I honestly don't see either of those looking better than what you have now.

One last thing.... have you considered the name "Hampton Roads Destroyers?" The traditionalist in me likes that you named them for Norfolk alone.  But regional names were the trend at the time (3 of the previous new teams being named for entire states, and the 4th being named for a metro area).  Besides, I can't imagine a baseball team not jumping at the chance to put a "HR" on their cap.

• Like 2

I love the military set and I really like the name. These feel very Padres-esque too, and I'm fine with that. However, I'm not sold on the drop shadow for the typography on the jerseys or the hat. While I like the idea of going super bold on letters, I think the caps feels like something a college team would wear and then kinda minor-leagueish on the jerseys. I wonder how the font would look without the drop shadow and if the letters were all the same size for the wordmarks, while keeping the drop shadow on the numbers, along the lines of the Lakers. As for the cap, I think all it really needs (and this goes for the navy alt too) is a inverse of the colours on the drop shadow (White N, Grey Shadow). 

• Like 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I really, really like the grey numbers with blue drop shadows. It's very endearingly old-school, but also very novel in a baseball context in terms of grey as a base team color and true connected drop shadows rather than the "offset" style most teams used in the 2000s (Reds, Royals, Rangers). White picks up the slack quite well on the roads, as it would have to. 

I was so fascinated by the possibility of a Hampton Roads team in 2004. It seemed intriguing in terms of it being a metropolitan area that as an untravelled midwesterner I knew absolutely nothing about, only that "Hampton Roads" was such an idiosyncratic name for an idiosyncratic area -- all these towns crisscrossed by water adding up to a big bunch of people with no representation in pro sports and not much in big-time college either. Years later, I would have a girlfriend whose mom was from Nawfick, and she hated me, so it's just as well that nothing nice happened for Hampton Roads, I suppose. That and the idea of playing inside a gunmetal-grey Navy-humping park.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Would definitely be interested in a Hampton Roads Destroyers, it would make a better monogram for the cap, the N looks a little bare and boring. Maybe step away from the font and make it slab serifed? Something like Nebraska’s N?

As for the rest of the set, the tertiary logo is great! The colors work well together. I like the drop shadows and the emphasis on grey. Although it gives some heavy Padres vibe, especially with the brown camo, would a grey camo work? 

Overall this set grows on me on me every time i see it. Good job!

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

"Norfolk Destroyers" rolls off the tongue better than its Hampton Roads counterpart does. And you can't use the state name, it looks like Vagina Destroyers. 

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/18/2019 at 11:52 PM, the admiral said:

"Norfolk Destroyers" rolls off the tongue better than its Hampton Roads counterpart does. And you can't use the state name, it looks like Vagina Destroyers. 

is "Vagina Destroyers" supposed to be a bad thing

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

On 7/18/2019 at 6:15 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Not a bad concept, however I feel this set needs an additional color to help it out. I know it doesn't really fit the whole "battleship" theme, but an additional bright color (like yellow) could work.

Thanks! While I see where you're coming from, I didn't want any additional bright colors. As you noted, it didn't fit with the "battleship" theme or my desired aesthetic. Using a bright color as an outline would clash with the grey lettering, while using a light shadow wouldn't fit with the numbering scheme of the navy ships I was imitating. Still, using yellow was worth a shot. 

S2VAbU1.png cLKiHlS.png

On 7/18/2019 at 7:53 PM, coco1997 said:

I’m really liking this! I understand what @Dalcowboyfan92 is getting at about the colors but I love the austerity of the design. Almost like the NL’s answer to the White Sox.

I’m guessing the Pandas are next?

P.S. “Destroyers” is misspelled on the tertiary logo. 😉

Thanks! No, the Pandas aren't next. They'll be somewhere down the line. 

Thank you for pointing out the error. I've fixed it.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:55 PM, ItDoesntMatter said:

Yeah, I don't think this set needs any help at all. I really like the road jerseys especially, and the camo set is a really great addition as well. Great stuff!

Thanks.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:04 PM, NicDB said:

Good god that Destroyers uniform is so pleasing to the eye!

I can imagine some people will claim it's too similar to the Yankees.  If you want to experiment with black or graphite to facilitate them, go ahead; but I honestly don't see either of those looking better than what you have now.

One last thing.... have you considered the name "Hampton Roads Destroyers?" The traditionalist in me likes that you named them for Norfolk alone.  But regional names were the trend at the time (3 of the previous new teams being named for entire states, and the 4th being named for a metro area).  Besides, I can't imagine a baseball team not jumping at the chance to put a "HR" on their cap.

Thanks. I thought about the Yankees similarity, which is why I went white-heavy on the road uniform and employed a lot of drop shadow. Multi-grey was a consideration, but I didn't think it'd be as appropriate as navy. Besides, multi-grey is coming up for the next team. 

I did think about Hampton Roads as a team name, but I ultimately decided against it for several reasons. These include:

-the naval base is in Norfolk and the stadium plan would have been for Norfolk

-the period articles favored Norfolk for the location identifier, such as this one (which this one disputes) and this one (which said they would "work with the city for the name," that city being Norfolk) - citations are in the PDF's

-Hampton Roads wouldn't look that good as a drop shadowed wordmark

-the interlocking "HR" doesn't look nearly as good as some people think it would

ASAavIB.png

"H" is not a particularly good letter for interlocking logos.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

I love the military set and I really like the name. These feel very Padres-esque too, and I'm fine with that. However, I'm not sold on the drop shadow for the typography on the jerseys or the hat. While I like the idea of going super bold on letters, I think the caps feels like something a college team would wear and then kinda minor-leagueish on the jerseys. I wonder how the font would look without the drop shadow and if the letters were all the same size for the wordmarks, while keeping the drop shadow on the numbers, along the lines of the Lakers. As for the cap, I think all it really needs (and this goes for the navy alt too) is a inverse of the colours on the drop shadow (White N, Grey Shadow). 

Thanks. I get where you're coming from with the caps and the shadowing. The font is too plain to really work without the shadowing (for a modern/Phase Three) team, while a fancier font would clash with the theme. Still, it works pretty well without the shadows on the wordmarks and the inverted cap logo (with grey bills to make up for the missing color).

8dkX2hF.png6juKI9j.png3DU6KwX.pngbVgt4pf.png

On 7/18/2019 at 9:48 PM, the admiral said:

I really, really like the grey numbers with blue drop shadows. It's very endearingly old-school, but also very novel in a baseball context in terms of grey as a base team color and true connected drop shadows rather than the "offset" style most teams used in the 2000s (Reds, Royals, Rangers). White picks up the slack quite well on the roads, as it would have to. 

I was so fascinated by the possibility of a Hampton Roads team in 2004. It seemed intriguing in terms of it being a metropolitan area that as an untravelled midwesterner I knew absolutely nothing about, only that "Hampton Roads" was such an idiosyncratic name for an idiosyncratic area -- all these towns crisscrossed by water adding up to a big bunch of people with no representation in pro sports and not much in big-time college either. Years later, I would have a girlfriend whose mom was from Nawfick, and she hated me, so it's just as well that nothing nice happened for Hampton Roads, I suppose. That and the idea of playing inside a gunmetal-grey Navy-humping park.

Thanks! I much prefer connected drop shadows to disconnected ones.

While I like the idea of a major-league team in the Hampton Roads region, I wouldn't have wanted it under the circumstances that Somerindyke and Osborne wanted. Your ex-girlfriend's mom probably would have enjoyed watching the turrets shoot fireworks or some kids sliding down the fighter jet. 

On 7/18/2019 at 9:55 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Would definitely be interested in a Hampton Roads Destroyers, it would make a better monogram for the cap, the N looks a little bare and boring. Maybe step away from the font and make it slab serifed? Something like Nebraska’s N?

As for the rest of the set, the tertiary logo is great! The colors work well together. I like the drop shadows and the emphasis on grey. Although it gives some heavy Padres vibe, especially with the brown camo, would a grey camo work? 

Overall this set grows on me on me every time i see it. Good job!

Thanks! The slab-serif "N" looks fantastic and I'll probably incorporate it into a larger update (alongside fixed drop shadows and a bit of color tweaking).

n1NMyRo.png

I totally see where you're getting the Padres vibes from, especially with the desert MARPAT. While grey camo is a good idea, I'm reticent to include it for the purposes of realism. Part of military fetishism design is matching military specifications and styles as accurately as possible (and being total nerds about inaccuracies). Since the military doesn't have a grey MARPAT design, I saw no reason to include one. Still, it makes for a decent uniform:

HDNzHtK.png ZWjPQBo.png

On 7/18/2019 at 10:52 PM, the admiral said:

On 7/20/2019 at 3:11 AM, Jimmy Lethal said:

is "Vagina Destroyers" supposed to be a bad thing

On 7/20/2019 at 5:53 AM, heavybassX said:

Virginia Destroyers doesn't exactly roll on the tongue.

I agree. "Norfolk" is the best-sounding city identifier, IMHO. However, Norfolk Rhinos doesn't sound as delightful as Hampton Roads Rhinos, which you can see realized by a guy straddling the line between authenticity, New Historicism, and confirmation bias:

On 7/19/2019 at 10:30 AM, teeray01 said:

I like the whole concept.  I think the typography is great even with the drop shadow.  I like the simple cap logo.  It looks like a cap I would buy.  Great work again!

Thanks!

The next concept should be ready to go soon.

Edited by SFGiants58
Added articles
  • Like 4

Really digging the variation I suggested (Great choice to give the bills some colour after removing it from the N itself, love the grey cap a lot!), but also love the slab serif "N" & the grey camo jersey... albeit, I do wonder if going grey & navy camo over the black used would fit in better with the rest of the jerseys. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

On 7/24/2019 at 11:47 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Well, it was worth a shot. It clashes in places with the gray; but it doesn't turn the set into a complete eyesore, it just makes it look asethetically off-putting.

Thank you for the suggestion! It did help me notice a minor drop-shadow error.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:00 PM, BellaSpurs said:

The slab serif N looks great! And I’m a fan of the grey camo, but I understand why you didn’t go with it. Excited for the next team!

Thanks! The slab-serif N will be part of the full update.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:15 PM, coco1997 said:

That slab serif "N" is fantastic. Other than that, I think your initial concept is still as good as can be. The addition of yellow is definitely unnecessary and really muddies up the whole design. 

Thanks.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:18 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

Really digging the variation I suggested (Great choice to give the bills some colour after removing it from the N itself, love the grey cap a lot!), but also love the slab serif "N" & the grey camo jersey... albeit, I do wonder if going grey & navy camo over the black used would fit in better with the rest of the jerseys. 

Thanks! The navy does beat the charcoal grey.

ATFK5W1.pngQYjhMTO.png

Anyway, here's the whole update!

9jwRDPF.png

FvtGgWT.png

ORGFkCi.png

Jy5VPFJ.png8Di5LTq.png

The next concept should be up later today.

• Like 7

WASHINGTON GRAYS - Honorable heritage revived

After spending the previous few months going over all of the possible destinations for the Montréal Expos, we finally come to their new home of DC. After much financial debate (that nearly saw the move torpedoed) and settling with Orioles owner Peter Angels, the Expos finally had a clear path to come to the capital city.1 However, what to call them?

hV9vCAp.jpg

(DC Mayor Anthony Williams celebrating the return of baseball to the capital city on September 29, 2004) Source image here 2

While "Senators" (the name the previous two clubs used by the time they left) was one of the most popular among fans, the city government was not thrilled with the prospect of this name. Even though the Senators MK II's 1968-71 red cap was the headwear of choice for the announcement (to the point of Bud Selig axing Todd Radom's beveled W design in favor of the "curly W") and Selig preferred the "Senators" name, DC Mayor Anthony Williams objected. He said that the name would be an oxymoron, as the District of Columbia has no congressional representation. In Mayor Williams' words:

"Give us two senators and I'll be happy to call it the Senators."3

Ultimately, "Nationals" (the other name of the DC club that became the Twins) won out. It was seen as a compromise between Williams and Selig, going for a historical name in the city that was still connected to one of the Senators franchises. Selig was able to restore a bit of the Senators with the adoption of the "curly W," even if it was out of place in the very "Phase Three"  (thanks for that framework, @raysox!) identity crafted by Todd Radom. It could appease the fans of both Senators and Nationals. However, there was an even better historical name on the table, one that would honor the most recent baseball champions in DC and an often overlooked part of the game's history.

spacer.png

(The 1943 Homestead Grays, Negro World Series Champions)4

The Nats could have been the Grays! The Homestead Grays, while they originated in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, shifted the majority of their games from Pittsburgh to DC from 1940 to 1950. Their move came during one of the most storied runs of the club, when they won eight of nine Negro League titles in between 1937-45. Legendary players like Josh Gibson, Buck Leonard, and Cool Papa Bell helped the Grays outdraw the Griffith family's Senationaltors and capitalize on Griffith Stadium's predominantly African-American neighborhood. While the club would fade into obscurity upon integration, their storied history was very much kept alive by surviving players, dedicated baseball historians (e.g., Brad Snyder, author of Beyond the Shadow of the Senators), and companies like Ebbets Field Flannels.5 

A campaign entitled rememberthegrays.org (preserved on the Wayback Machine), started by Laura Meissner and Christopher Rehling, petitioned MLB to chose the name Grays. It was a popular petition, featuring a compilation of quotes that made convincing arguments for the name. Even Mayor Williams announced his support for the name, citing the legacy of the Negro League team. There was some serious momentum for adopting the sobriquet.6

There were, however, problems with adopting the Grays' name. While I couldn't find Selig commenting on it, I would assume that his preference for a historical MLB name would always win out. Some said the name "lacked pizzazz" or "didn't make sense." The other, larger problem was that Pittsburgh had just as legitimate a claim to the Grays' history. The team started in the Western Pennsylvania area, played at Forbes Field, and received tributes from the Pirates since the late-1980s (even though the Pirates took down the Negro League statues, sadly). Trying to place the Grays' name in DC could have been a potential conflict for the Pirates' ownership and Negro League fans in Pittsburgh, even though the Pirates could still throw back to/honor the Homestead Grays (preferably against the Nationals) or the Pittsburgh Crawfords (as they've done repeatedly). Due to these reasons, the name fell out of the running.7 

Quite frankly, it's ridiculous that not one MLB team uses the name of a Negro League team. We have two PCL teams (Angels and Padres), two International League monikers (Orioles, despite MLB use, and Marlins), one American Association name (Brewers, despite MLB use for one season), and a Texas League sobriquet (Rangers). This would have been a perfect opportunity to honor one of the most storied names in the Negro Leagues, because the Pirates won't rebrand as the Grays and the Royals won't change their name to the Monarchs. However, what if MLB decided that it was finally time to honor the legendary club?

These Washington Grays, while they evoke the traditional image of the club, have a bit of a modern twist. Since "Gray" is in their name, I figured that a gray-based color scheme would be better than the navy/black of the old squad. It might be a bit literal, but it would immediately give them a unique look. The grey I picked was a dark bluish grey, which looked a bit like how black & white photographs rendered the navy of the old team. I paired it with silver/light grey, for a bit of contrast. The logo features the "W" insignia (a modified version of UA Tiffany, the base font for my Grays-inspired Nationals concept) against a recolored DC flag in the shape of George Washington's family crest. This "W" insignia is the secondary, while the "DC" from my Grays-inspired Nationals design is the tertiary. 

MMLA3DV.png

The uniforms feature full T-bar stripes, akin to the 1943 squad of the Grays' finest teams. The wordmarks are on a radial arch, with UA Tiffany numbers and NOB's. I added simple sock stripes to tie into the hat coloration and the primary on the sleeves. 

Lg1E8DU.png

Alternate uniforms all feature a light grey "DC" cap with a dark grey bill. The first is a dark grey jersey with the "W" insignia (to homage the Senationaltors teams with that configuration) and the other is the road uniform with the "DC" cap.

NF9f9Sn.png

A second set of alternates includes my 1943/45 hybrid set from the Grays-inspired Nationals concept, so that fans of the Grays in navy can enjoy that specific look. I've also included a lip service alternate to the 1968-71 Senators, as a way to appease Ol' Bud, pander to people who wanted the Senators name, and to fetishize that one winning season of the Senators MK II (which was a total fluke). The numeral font is now more accurate to the originals.8

NkBcZ1S.png

The jackets all feature simple striping, with shoulder inserts on the primary. The Senators' jacket is a recreations of this outerwear (a similar model seen here on manager Ted Williams, one of the first players to advocate for celebrating Negro League players and teams - he'd have been happy with the Grays' name), while I ported over the 1940s Grays jacket from the previous concept (linked earlier).9

Ixt6UbT.pngKqQEOL5.png

Zqj2lbU.png

Learning that the Nats could have been the Grays really strikes me as one of the biggest missed opportunities in MLB branding. Instead of having a truly unique identity that honors one of the most storied Negro League clubs, the Nats seem content to keep propping the legacies of truly dreadful MLB teams (outside of Walter Johnson) and building their identity around a fluke campaign. While the Nationals do a lot to honor the Grays around the stadium (more than they honor the Expos, thankfully), they could always do more. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, compilations and a look at the team that would become the Nats.

1 Jeff Barker and Joe Christensen, “Relocation Picture Brightening - Angelos Agreement Closer Mayor, Council Chair near Solution to Financing Issue Baseball,” Baltimore Sun, The, November 20, 2004, sec. Sports; Hal Bodley, “Washington Gets Selig’s Vote,” USA Today, September 30, 2004, sec. Sports; Harry Jaffe, “How DC Got Baseball Back | Washingtonian (DC),” Washingtonian (blog), April 1, 2005, https://www.washingtonian.com/2005/04/01/how-dc-got-baseball-back/; Ed Waldman, “Expos’ Bidding Process Begins, but Name on Hold - Groups given until Nov. 1 to Apply for D.C. `team’ Baseball,” Baltimore Sun, The, October 20, 2004, sec. Sports.

2 Jamie Squire, “Washington, DC Mayor Anthony A. Williams Speaks to the Media during a...,” Getty Images, September 29, 2004, https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/washington-dc-mayor-anthony-a-williams-speaks-to-the-media-news-photo/51372320. 

3 Adam Kealoha Causey and Chris Otts, “New Name for Washington MLB Team Uncertain,” Scripps Howard News Service, September 29, 2004, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&t=&sort=YMD_date%3AD&page=11&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&val-base-0=grays nationals washington baseball&fld-nav-0=YMD_date&val-nav-0=2004 - 2005&fld-nav-1=YMD_date&val-nav-1=1980 - 2019&docref=news/123E304B6DAB6FD0; Paul Lukas, “It’s in the Bag(s) | Uni Watch,” Uni Watch, August 12, 2010, https://uni-watch.com/2010/08/12/its-in-the-bags/; Squire, “Washington, DC Mayor Anthony A. Williams Speaks to the Media during a...”; Joseph White and The Associated Press, “Grays Lose D.C. Name Battle,”  Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, November 23, 2004, sec. Sports.

4 David A. Bagley, “For Ballclub Name, ‘Senators’ the Best,” The Washington Times, October 4, 2004, sec. Letters; Dick Heller, “No Contest: How ’bout Those Nats?,” The Washington Times, October 1, 2004, sec. Sports; Joseph White, “Sources: Expos to Be Renamed Nationals,” Associated Press Archive, November 20, 2004, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&t=&sort=YMD_date%3AD&page=8&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&val-base-0=grays nationals washington baseball&fld-nav-0=YMD_date&val-nav-0=2004 - 2005&fld-nav-1=YMD_date&val-nav-1=1980 - 2019&docref=news/106DE1498542F79F; White and The Associated Press, “Grays Lose D.C. Name Battle”; Wright and Riley, Original Team Photograph of the 1943 Homestead Grays. Back (l-r): Big Edsall Walker, James Cool Papa Bell, Roy Partlow, Thad Christopher, Josh Gibson, Johnny Wright, Ray Brown, Ernest Spoon Carter, Buck Leonard, Candy Jim Taylor (Manager). Front (l-r): Jud Wilson, Jerry Bingham, Joe Spencer, Vic Harris, Sam Bankhead, Matt Carlisle., 1943, 1943, https://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=28604, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1943_Homestead_Grays.jpg.

5 Dale Eisman, “Reviving Glory of D.C. Grays,” The Virginian-Pilot, October 24, 2004, sec. Flavor/Gracious Livingront; Gary Graves, “Grays a Sentimental Favorite for Many,” USA Today, September 30, 2004, sec. Sports; Thom Loverro, “Why Not Hail the Grays?,” The Washington Times, July 31, 2004, sec. Sports; Brad Snyder, Beyond the Shadow of the Senators : The Untold Story of the Homestead Grays and the Integration of Baseball, 1 edition (New York: McGraw-Hill, 2004), ix–xiii; White, “Sources: Expos to Be Renamed Nationals”; Joseph White, “A Look at Washington Senators Baseball,” The Associated Press News Service, October 2, 2004, sec. Sports, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&t=&sort=YMD_date%3AD&page=10&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&val-base-0=grays nationals washington baseball&fld-nav-0=YMD_date&val-nav-0=2004 - 2005&fld-nav-1=YMD_date&val-nav-1=1980 - 2019&docref=news/1416CA0328F6A220; White and The Associated Press, “Grays Lose D.C. Name Battle.” 

6 “The Support,” Remember the Grays, October 26, 2004, http://web.archive.org/web/20041026054215/http://www.rememberthegrays.org/support/index.htm; Graves, “Grays a Sentimental Favorite for Many”; Loverro, “Why Not Hail the Grays?”; White and The Associated Press, “Grays Lose D.C. Name Battle.”

7 Bagley, “For Ballclub Name, ‘Senators’ the Best”; Causey and Otts, “New Name for Washington MLB Team Uncertain”; Courier Editor, “Will the Pirates Ever Erect a Permanent Statue of Josh Gibson?,” New Pittsburgh Courier, September 16, 2018, https://newpittsburghcourier.com/2018/09/16/will-the-pirates-ever-erect-a-permanent-statue-of-josh-gibson/; Heller, “No Contest: How ’bout Those Nats?”; White, “Sources: Expos to Be Renamed Nationals”; White and The Associated Press, “Grays Lose D.C. Name Battle.” 

8 William F. Henderson, Game Worn Guide to MLB Jerseys: (1970–2017), Eighth (Philadelphia, PA: Aardvark Publishing, 2017), 3407; @pmoehrin, “2018 MLB Season,” Chris Creamer’s Sports Logos Community - CCSLC - SportsLogos.Net Forums, accessed July 27, 2019, https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/114036-2018-mlb-season/page/23/?tab=comments#comment-2899967

9 Colin Fleming, “Remembering Ted Williams’ Finest Baseball Moment: A Hall of Fame Plea for Equality,” The Daily Beast, accessed July 27, 2019, https://www.thedailybeast.com/remembering-ted-williams-finest-baseball-moment-a-hall-of-fame-plea-for-equality.

• Like 20

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - Washington Grays Added

Norfolk looks nice! I prefer your original version to any of the updates (it seems to lean into the battleship theme the best), but they all look good.

And the Washington Grays might be the first concept that I really wish would’ve actually come into fruition! The shades you chose look beautiful together, and would really set them apart with their own unique scheme that fits the DC area. I love the main set as well as the alternates with the lighter gray cap. There’s not much else I can really say other than great work once again!

• Like 3