MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

1 hour ago, Whittier S said:

For the Stags; I find the yellow too jarring, and am wondering how it would look with something closer to Vegas gold.

I don't think it's jarring at all. It's already quite a bit more muted than standard-issue athletic gold. If anything, it's a compromise between the two.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/8/2019 at 7:45 PM, SFGiants58 said:

gCRC40S.png

Obviously this is all superb. My only note is that the tail of the G displaces the front number uncomfortably.

Maybe you could shorten that tail. Or, if you wanted to get really fancy, have the tail loop around under the number.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

spacer.png

Bravo! I am quite pleased and it has been well worth the wait for the first (and hopefully not the last) Portland entry in this series!

I’m not sure if it was on purpose, but the light blue and forest green (my terms, to be sure) made me think of Tampa Bay. But in no way does it feel like it’s copping their old color scheme. This totally stands on its own. And kudos for not just copying the White Stag sign - and yes, I’m old enough to remember when it didn’t say Made in Oregon.

The heritage set based off the 1956/57 Beavers makes me happier than you could imagine. I hate to nitpick, because frankly, I couldn’t do what you do. But part of me wonders if the Stags text may look better in green? And kudos for using the reference picture of my namesake posing in the striped undershirts. For what it’s worth, I once made an appearance on UniWatch with my DYI of the striped undershirt - which would be fun to see as an option for the Stags (hint, hint!)

Lastly, thank you for sharing some of the background of the Portland Baseball Group. I had the pleasure of interviewing Mr. Kanter for a tv show back in 2003. He was quite a gentleman and I will forever be grateful for his time. Anyway, PBG really got screwed over by the city of Portland who completely bent over backwards for the Portland Family Entertainment bid. That’s a fascinating read in its own right. But I digress... I wish I had more hands so I could give this concept four thumbs up!! Great job!

• Like 2

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

On 6/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! The Rainiers is a top-five concept for me, as I like the color balance and the region-appropriate design (not to mention how it would get rid of my least-favorite MLB name). The whole "colorful but tasteful" angle has been a big driving force for the series, showing the diverse ways in which the color schemes of the sport could be remarkably less boring. 

I found that Twins scenario funny as well! I am curious what you thought of the 1987-2009 Senators/Nationals design, if only for its "uncanny valley" nature.

They both look good.  I think that Twins looks translates to "Senators" better than "Nationals"...perhaps because you went with a large lower-case "N" in the latter (and probably had no choice).

The road wordmark looks great, though, I don't think the "W" looks as good as its "M" counterpart did.  So just like with the Twins, I'd be a proponent of the interlocking logo on the hat. Actually, just like you did not totally mimic the wish-bone "C" (the right choice) maybe a bit less literal translation to the "W."

I love the sleeve patches on the Nationals jerseys, particularly the throwback.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 6/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Thank you.

Thanks!

I'll only be doing one of those, due to it's special connection to the city.

Thanks.

Thanks! I like the Hannibal vibe as well, even though the elephant species are different, AFAIK. 

William "Bill" Collins III really does look like a midlife crisis made manifest, doesn't he?

bill-collins-of-american-baseball-capital-prior-to-a-game-on-july-22-picture-id53316168

"Singular names that refer to emotions are in! THIS IS WHAT THE KIDS LIKE! I'm cool now, right?"

Thanks! The Rainiers is a top-five concept for me, as I like the color balance and the region-appropriate design (not to mention how it would get rid of my least-favorite MLB name). The whole "colorful but tasteful" angle has been a big driving force for the series, showing the diverse ways in which the color schemes of the sport could be remarkably less boring. 

I found that Twins scenario funny as well! I am curious what you thought of the 1987-2009 Senators/Nationals design, if only for its "uncanny valley" nature.

Anyway, for the one-year celebration of this thread, here's the next concept!

PORTLAND STAGS – Wish upon a whitetail

The Rose City’s recent push for an MLB team (AKA the Portland Diamond Project) has been all the rage on these forums, with the group apparently gaining traction at the Terminal 2 site.1 However, this is not the first time that Portland has come up for MLB relocation/expansion discussion.

The first attempts to bring baseball to Portland involved both the Expos and the Marlins. Rumblings started in about 2002/early 2003, when former Portland Mayor Vera Katz and the Oregon Sports Authority/Portland Baseball Group/Oregon Stadium Campaign (website here) – led by former Pacers GM David Kahn, Drew Mahalic, and Steve Kanter – met with MLB officials in New York. With Portland being the second-biggest market among the many cities listed at 2.86 million people (compared to the first-place 5.9 million of the District of Columbia).2

dkahn.gif00003536306382.jpg 63070_steve-kanter-l-peo-b-1012-0002.jpg

(from left: David Kahn, Drew Mahalic, and Steve Kanter - a law professor at the law school branch of my alma mater)

These groups were able to lead the charge for Senate Bill 5 in Oregon, which passed in September 2003, allowed for the city to use $150 million of athletes and team executives’ income taxes to fund part of a stadium. This controversial bill went through several phases before its final passing. Around the time of the bill passing, things were looking up for Portland as a baseball destination. If they weren’t going to get the Expos, they could easily get another team.3 The groups even had a variety of sites outlined in their plan (link in the citations).4

port2.JPGport6.JPG

Port04_PO_Far.jpgport8.JPGport10.JPG

However, trouble was brewing within the bid. Local interest among the business community never fully materialized and the group went through internal struggles. By April 2004, Portland was left off of the finalist list for the Expos (DC, Northern Virginia, Norfolk, Monterrey, and Las Vegas). While the Portland forces completed a financing plan to supplement Senate Bill 5 for the $350 million stadium proposal, it did not revive MLB’s interest in the market. Portland, like Las Vegas, had a minor hope spot during the DC City Council’s funding snag. However, that conflict’s resolution put Portland baseball on hold.5

The Marlins were quick to revive interest, during the extortion proceedings that resulted in Marlins Park’s construction. Portland was one of the most popular speculation sites for baseball to land, with famed Red Sox player/executive Johnny Pesky coming out in support of the initiative. Plans were ready to expand Providence (then PGE) Park to 25,000 seats to accommodate the team, while Marlins’ top brass (e.g., David Samson) toured the groups’ desired sites. However, this interest was merely a ruse to get a stadium deal done in Little Havana. While the Portland Baseball Group would continue informally, interest died down until the recent Portland Diamond Project started in 2017.6

TL; DR: Hans (Udo Kier doing his usual weird guy schtick, which is appropriate for the movie) as the Portland boosters, and Mike Waters as MLB.7

VB9W.gif

I’d like to throw a big shout-out to John Hunt of The Oregonian for his beat reporting on the Expos’ relocation saga. His articles were an excellent resource in following the story.

Portland gaining either the Expos or the Marlins, had they gotten a more concrete stadium plan, would have probably been beneficial for the league. They could have either given the NL a Pacific Northwest presence or with an AL flip, given Seattle a bit of a breather when it comes to travel time. Having gone to college in the area, I’d have loved to see a game or two. This concept should cover both the Expos and Marlins’ attempts to move to the area, as well as potential moves by a new team (as explained by Craig Cheek, founder of the Portland Diamond Project – although he had some reservations about a name change with the A’s).8

I’ve long been a fan of the name “Stags” for a Portland team. This is hardly a new name for a prospective Portland team, but it’s one that fits. The whitetail deer (Odocoileus virginianus)
is native to the state and represented on one of the most recognizable signs in the city. Besides, they’d be the only deer team in MLB! Using this picture of a posed whitetail deer and the work of @Section30 (thanks for the help!) on his Saskatchewan Whitetails as a base/inspiration, I crafted a deer logo that’s both dynamic and a little playful.

The colors are Forest Green/Sky Blue/Yellow-Gold, my adaptation of the Portland flag. The balance of these colors sets them apart from both the A’s and the Mariners. The primary is the deer head on its own, while the secondary is the cap logo (a modified version of Hanley Pro Block Inline). The tertiary features the deer inside a roundel with the sock stripe pattern and the full team name.

Wcr8Taq.png

The uniform design is fairly traditional, with open type Buinton as the base font for the cursive scripts. The tails have gold inlines, for an extra punch of color. Hanley Pro Block numbers also appear alongside the scripts. The sleeve and pants stripes are B/G/Y/G/B, as the light blue and yellow-gold never touch.

EhhYxjY.png

The alternates include a Sky Blue jersey and a Forest Green one. The green outfit features the “P” insignia, while the blue employs the tertiary patch.

3CgO992.png

Additional alternates include a Sky Blue-crowned cap for the blue jersey and a fauxback. Said uniform homages the 1957 Portland Beavers’ cap logo and Cardinals-style wordmark and template My method for this was to simplify the deer from an old Milwaukee Bucks concept of mine and show it leaping over the bat (itself from the Cardinals’ 1940s logo, recolored).

aOsYGVY.png

The jacket uses the home script and blue shoulder inserts.

F3MWsdO.png

While Portland will have to wait to get their team (PLEASE don’t build on speculation, remember what happened to St. Petersburg and arguably San Antonio), I would consider this concept my supposition for what a Portland team could look like. It’s got my favorite name, color scheme, and design style for a Rose City squad! C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, we revisit Northern Virginia, for a little bit of horseplay.

Zach Spedden, “New Portland Ballpark Renderings Unveiled,” Ballpark Digest (blog), April 11, 2019, http:// https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/04/11/new-portland-ballpark-renderings-unveiled/.

2 AP, “Portland Makes Pitch for Expos,” Los Angeles Times, January 26, 2003, https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-jan-26-sp-dogportland26-story.html; Population figures from Sales & Marketing Management, “Relocation Revisited,” The Oregonian, January 18, 2004, sec. Sports.

3 John Hunt, “Can You Say Portland Twins, A’s or Marlins?,” The Oregonian, September 14, 2003, sec. Sports; John Hunt, “‘Plethora’ of Potential Baseball Owners - A Consultant Says Potential Owners Are ‘Very Interested’ If Financing Can Be Finalized,” The Oregonian, September 17, 2003, sec. Sports; John Hunt, “Enthusiastic Kulongoski Signs Stadium Finance Bill,” The Oregonian, September 25, 2003, sec. Sports.

4 Eric Okurowski, “StadiumPage.Com - 2004 Portland Concepts,” Stadium Page, 2012, http://www.stadiumpage.com/concepts/Portland04_R.html.

5 John Hunt, “Portland Omitted, but Only from List,” The Oregonian, March 30, 2004, sec. Sports; John Hunt, “Stadium Finance Plan Finished,” The Oregonian, August 6, 2004, sec. Sports; John Hunt, “Stepping up, Striking Out,” The Oregonian, April 3, 2005, sec. Sports; John Hunt and Erin Hoover Barnett, “Expos Might Be on Road Again,” The Oregonian, December 16, 2004, sec. Sports.

6 Stephen Beaven and John Killen, “Big-League Baseball Drive Not Dead, Just Kind of Resting,” The Oregonian, September 1, 2009, sec. Local News, https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2009/08/major_league_baseball_in_portl.html; Charles Elmore, “Stadium Roulette Opening-Day Ritual,”  The Palm Beach Post, April 12, 2006, sec. Sports; John Hunt, “Florida Marlins’ Relocation Tour Comes to Portland for ‘Exploring,’” The Oregonian, January 11, 2006, sec. Sports; John Hunt, “Portland’s Prospects Fading for MLB Team,” April 16, 2006, sec. Sports; Phil Rogers, “Rogers: Portland Could Be a Prized Relocation Spot,” ESPN.com, January 12, 2007, https://www.espn.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2727901.

7 My Own Private Idaho is my favorite movie, something I’ve shared before on the boards. I’ve been waiting for a Portland team to appear to share this .gif (even though this scene is Seattle).

8 Primetime 3.12.19 Hour 1/Craig Cheek Interview, accessed June 5, 2019, https://1080thefan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/primetime-31219-hour-1craig-cheek-interview.

Awesome Logo Uniforms And Great Name For Portland Baseball

On 6/8/2019 at 3:21 PM, the admiral said:

Really love the color palette, the name, and all the flourishes on the scripts and numbers. I'd like to see more teams try things like that. I guess the only quibble is with a sky blue deer. I know we've all done There Are No Honolulu Blues Lions And Yet a thousand times on this board, but I think it catches my eye because when I think of an animal being incongruously blue, I of course think of Babe the blue ox. I suppose it could be yellow instead, or you could make it a shade of tan/beige that never occurs anywhere else, like the Blackhawks? But it's really good.

Great concept, but I have to agree with this.  I'm curious to see what this might look like with beige/cream added in place of blue.  Or maybe use the blue more sparingly. 

Though I will say, great use of the Portland flag colors if that is indeed what you were going for.
spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I apologize for the delay in getting back to you all. I'm in the middle of moving apartments, which has made my life fairly hectic as of late. Luckily, I've cleared up some time for updates and few comments. Click the images for full-size versions.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:55 PM, NDFreek said:

That heritage alternate is beautiful, and I’m loving the word marks. Great work as always!

However, the eye and mouth on the primary mark might look better with a few tweaks, but it is still a great package

Thanks! I've fixed the eyes and tweaked the mouth slightly in the update.

On 6/8/2019 at 3:21 PM, the admiral said:

Really love the color palette, the name, and all the flourishes on the scripts and numbers. I'd like to see more teams try things like that. I guess the only quibble is with a sky blue deer. I know we've all done There Are No Honolulu Blues Lions And Yet a thousand times on this board, but I think it catches my eye because when I think of an animal being incongruously blue, I of course think of Babe the blue ox. I suppose it could be yellow instead, or you could make it a shade of tan/beige that never occurs anywhere else, like the Blackhawks? But it's really good.

Thanks! The blue deer did strike me as a bit odd, so it's now the yellow shade in the update. Yellow isn't as strange as blue.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:16 PM, coco1997 said:

Fantastic! Great idea for an identity. Love the color scheme and the scripts. 

On 6/8/2019 at 7:34 PM, BellaSpurs said:

That heritage alt is beautiful! Would definitely buy that! The rest is good too! I like the colors

Thanks! The heritage alt is one of my favorite designs in the thread.

On 6/8/2019 at 8:04 PM, heavybassX said:

Thus began the rivalry between the Stags and the Mariners.

Hey, that's kinda fun.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:45 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Obviously this is all superb. My only note is that the tail of the G displaces the front number uncomfortably.

Maybe you could shorten that tail. Or, if you wanted to get really fancy, have the tail loop around under the number.

Thanks! Shortening the tail was a good call.

5s3zXaS.png

aQgzQZT.png gccFhNW.png

Spoiler

cPZ8NQ8.png M52lgXC.png

ExEKcmN.png

I've updated the original post to account for this.

On 6/9/2019 at 12:30 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

2 questions:

1. How haven't the Rays chosen to use this as their colour scheme? 

2. What would a full Fauxback set look like? 

1. I've done a similar concept, albeit with lime green instead of yellow.

2. I've got a few options for that.

mQ2jBAm.png oUBJfv6.png

1Er7yNK.png VrwtXVl.png

JJKs9lM.png

On 6/9/2019 at 12:30 AM, Frylock said:

Bravo! I am quite pleased and it has been well worth the wait for the first (and hopefully not the last) Portland entry in this series!

I’m not sure if it was on purpose, but the light blue and forest green (my terms, to be sure) made me think of Tampa Bay. But in no way does it feel like it’s copping their old color scheme. This totally stands on its own. And kudos for not just copying the White Stag sign - and yes, I’m old enough to remember when it didn’t say Made in Oregon.

The heritage set based off the 1956/57 Beavers makes me happier than you could imagine. I hate to nitpick, because frankly, I couldn’t do what you do. But part of me wonders if the Stags text may look better in green? And kudos for using the reference picture of my namesake posing in the striped undershirts. For what it’s worth, I once made an appearance on UniWatch with my DYI of the striped undershirt - which would be fun to see as an option for the Stags (hint, hint!)

Lastly, thank you for sharing some of the background of the Portland Baseball Group. I had the pleasure of interviewing Mr. Kanter for a tv show back in 2003. He was quite a gentleman and I will forever be grateful for his time. Anyway, PBG really got screwed over by the city of Portland who completely bent over backwards for the Portland Family Entertainment bid. That’s a fascinating read in its own right. But I digress... I wish I had more hands so I could give this concept four thumbs up!! Great job!

Thanks! I'm glad you like the set, as it's one of my favorite in the series. I've mocked up a green text version of the retro set earlier in this post, and I do like it a little bit more than the original.

BrxwPJN.png

That's nice to hear about your namesake and the undershirt project! While my template doesn't allow for striped undershirts, I'm certain that they'd be included in the set. 

I'm also glad to hear that you've interacted with one of the people involved in my series. I do agree with your assessment with how Portland city politics screwed over the PBG. This is why I'm not entirely confident that Diamond Project. Once shovels are in the ground and a team has committed to play via expansion or relocation, then I'll believe.

On 6/9/2019 at 8:15 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Not a bad color scheme, getting heavy modern era Rays vibes from the Stags set though.

Thank you. The Rays comparisons are definitely apparent (but that's not necessarily bad). I think it's a combination of the two accents colors and the fact that so many concepts here use a variation of that color scheme for Rays concepts.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:28 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

I think that the Stags blue is way too electric and bright. Make it a lighter powder and the concept would be great.

Thanks. I've adjusted the shade in the update.

On 6/9/2019 at 11:09 PM, OnWis97 said:

They both look good.  I think that Twins looks translates to "Senators" better than "Nationals"...perhaps because you went with a large lower-case "N" in the latter (and probably had no choice).

The road wordmark looks great, though, I don't think the "W" looks as good as its "M" counterpart did.  So just like with the Twins, I'd be a proponent of the interlocking logo on the hat. Actually, just like you did not totally mimic the wish-bone "C" (the right choice) maybe a bit less literal translation to the "W."

I love the sleeve patches on the Nationals jerseys, particularly the throwback.

Thanks! The "Senators" name does look a bit better, since Liebe's guideline for that font used better letters. I opted to use the lowercase letters as the base, since the uppercase ones looked like garbage. 

700x59xMinnesota.gif.pagespeed.ic.JWykKL

I can see your point with the "underline w," but I still think it works (width and arc of letter). I'd prefer the block W that the Sens/Nats used or that custom "DC" on the caps, but that's because I really don't like much about the 1987-2009 set.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:24 PM, NicDB said:

Great concept, but I have to agree with this.  I'm curious to see what this might look like with beige/cream added in place of blue.  Or maybe use the blue more sparingly. 

Though I will say, great use of the Portland flag colors if that is indeed what you were going for.
spacer.png

Thanks! The Portland flag was indeed the big inspiration for the color scheme. I've long felt that it worked well with the region, something the Timbers definitely tried to harness with their green/gold set. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:04 AM, teeray01 said:

Love the name, concept and colors.  If anything, eliminate the back antler.  Great work!

Thanks, and consider it done! The back antler was a pain for the perspective in the logo. 

Anyway, I've updated the logos and uniforms with all of your wonderful C+C.

KwcQ21S.png

udcEAkw.png

Dk5ZSUw.png

The other images are in the original post. I'm not sure when I'll get my next concept up, but it'll hopefully be soon. In the meantime, want to see a red/black/light blue variant?

Gj25fIq.png

How about testing how the Stag logo would work for the Bucks?

m8feoo7.png

Orangey-tan/Irish Rainbow is probably my favorite.

• Like 11

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - Portland Stags Updated

Just a quick drive-by comment to tell

you the red/black/blue set is MONEY. It ties in to the “city” sports colors of red and black (Blazers, Winterhawks, prior eras of Beavers) but adds in a delightful and fitting twist with the light blue. NAILED IT, my friend.

Thank you for your kind words in your reply, and I share many of the same sentiments re: the likelihood of a stadium/team coming together.

• Like 5

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Yeah, something about the black and red Portland script with the light blue flourish really, really works.

The tan/Irish-rainbow deer is the best Bucks variant, yeah.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I’m more a fan of the blue stag - I think the tan one reminds me too much of the Bucks logo in the old days. Either way though, the whole concept is pretty beautiful. 

And good luck with the move! I feel like it always throws me off for at least a month when I move. 

• Like 1

I much prefer the red and black to the green tbh, but the light blue makes it seem too Chicago, maybe replace it with the green from the actual set? And what would the scripts look like with a connected tail or just removed tail. Because i don’t really like how it looks with it separated. 

Excited to see what you’ve got for your next team!

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php