MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

I like the dreamcatcher logo and the city script, but I can't get over the Oklahoma City Thunder colors. The relocation of the Supersonics was so deeply crappy that seeing the blue and red-orange for OKC still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even though the 2012 Marlins themselves ended up using the same colors or colors that were very very close, so it ends up making sense in a parallel-universe way.

Do you think that 1889 has the same historical currency as 1849 and 1776, the other two years that spawned team nicknames? I'm not sure it does, but in a sport as locally driven as baseball, I'm not sure it matters, either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, guys! Sorry I couldn't get back to the thread sooner. I got distracted with another video project, this one on Social "I'm a careerist" Repose! Link in spoiler:

Spoiler

Here it is:

CW: Emotional abuse, gaslighting, and SO MUCH CRINGE - it was tougher than the Austin Jones one because at least Austin's voice isn't a squeaky Mid-Atlantic whine. Austin also didn't dress like a rejected KISS character - the Indian Shaman!

maxresdefault.jpg

Anyway, I'll be updating the Twisters soon. The black in the tornado made it look weird, as it was a leftover of my original plan for the design - meet Twisty the Tornado!

lQ7TRqL.png?1

I held onto it for too long. Now it's my sleep paralysis demon.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:53 PM, the admiral said:

I like the dreamcatcher logo and the city script, but I can't get over the Oklahoma City Thunder colors. The relocation of the Supersonics was so deeply crappy that seeing the blue and red-orange for OKC still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even though the 2012 Marlins themselves ended up using the same colors or colors that were very very close, so it ends up making sense in a parallel-universe way.

Thanks!

Oh, I firmly agree with you there with the Sonics nastiness. I picked those colors because they look so close to the Marlins' eventual color scheme and I wanted to prove that they could look pretty good in a baseball context. I'd like to think they do. Preferably, the Sonics don't move in this timeline, leaving OKC with the Hornets (who change their name to the Thunder and let the Bobcats take the name - whereupon they screw up the design because Michael Jaundice) and the Marlins. New Orleans would be like hockey Atlanta, except without the weirdos trying to argue how it could work. I know there are plenty of people who defend the NBA's presence in NOLA, but I'm not one of them. 

Do you think that 1889 has the same historical currency as 1849 and 1776, the other two years that spawned team nicknames? I'm not sure it does, but in a sport as locally driven as baseball, I'm not sure it matters, either.

It's basically when all the settlers came rolling into Oklahoma, so it's got a massive local significance. It's also why I included the Survivor Tree, the most notable landmark that could work on the dreamcatcher logo.

SAN ANTONIO MISSIONS - The Tan Directive

38527*500.jpg?v=1

(Pictured: Judge Nelson Wolff, the deadline man)

Out of all of the possible destinations for the Marlins, this one had the most clout and activity behind it. This story starts on Opening Day (April 4) 2006 when a San Antonio contingent (lead by Mayor Phil Hardberger, Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, and District Attorney Susan Reed) joined Loria and Samson in the owner’s box at Minute Maid Park.1  Statements from both Loria and Samson supported their interest in the market, such as these:

“‘There are a lot of interesting markets in this country, and San Antonio is one of the major interesting markets for me because it's a sports town,’ Loria said ‘I've watched the (NBA's San Antonio) Spurs do their thing there for years, and it's exciting to see people respond to sports the way they have.’”2

"’We have made progress from an initial conversation to an indication of interest from the business community, from the cooperate [sic] community, from the fans, from the political community,’ Samson said. ‘We're serious, because Jeffrey and the mayor would not allocate their time this way if they weren't.’"3

“San Antonio is a very viable market, and they're very serious,’ Loria said. ‘Read my lips: They're very serious.’”4

Bexar County even had a plan in mind for a $310 million venue, with the city paying $200 million of it by extending the hotel and car rental taxes used to fund the AT&T Center. The county also demanded that local ownership, such as investors like former Vikings owner Red McCombs, be part of the deal. It seemed that this initial interest could carry over into a serious relationship. A follow-up visit by DA Reed also gave credence to a San Antonio move.5

San Antonio made their deadlines for interest clear. Bexar County had an August 15th deadline to get the tax extension measures on the November ballot. Judge Wolff demanded that the team commit to a relocation plan by May 15th.6 This deadline would put pressure on the Marlins and MLB to either make a serious commitment to San Antonio or attempt to get something done in South Florida.

Ultimately, the San Antonio talk and the additional visits to cities forced the hand of Miami-Dade County, leading to the first stages in Marlins Park’s conception. The Marlins missed their May 15th deadline, firmly illustrating that San Antonio was, like OKC, Portland, Las Vegas, and Charlotte, a mere ploy to get things done in South Florida.7 

San Antonio missed out on hosting an MLB club, which put an end to much of their Big Four ambitions outside of the Spurs. Since the construction of the Alamodome in 1992, the city had played host to preseason and regular-season games. However, San Antonio missed on the ‘95 expansion and on possible relocations (the most notable being the Saints pre-Katrina). The Marlins playing the city was just a repeat of that same scenario. Local skepticism had set in during the Marlins’ ploy, with county officials interpreting the club’s silence as a sign of disinterest in the market. There was ultimately no way that the Marlins would sacrifice the No. 17 media market for the No. 37 market.8  

In the end, San Antonio forced the Marlins to back up their interests with a legitimate plan, and the Marlins failed to do it. It demonstrated that the Marlins never had any real interest in moving away from South Florida while representing San Antonio’s frustration at being “dicked around” by the Big Four. Instead of pursuing teams, the city could focus on itself.9 

However, what if the Marlins? What if San Antonio became the third Texas MLB team?

I picked the Missions sobriquet, as it was the longest-lasting minor league identity in the city. It only made sense to promote the name to MLB with the Marlins’ arrival. The design revolves around two colors, black and tan. The tan is the flat version of the “metallic gold” used by several teams (see my Knights concept). I based the primary logo around this photograph of the Alamo. The font is Stengkol, condensed to work on a jersey front. Their cap logo is the secondary, while the tertiary is a combination of a home plate, the Alamo facade, and the San Antonio flag (a somewhat underappreciated design, IMO).

EDIT 7/10/20: I updated the primary logo to reflect @_DietDrPepper_'s C+C. I also updated the shade of tan to be more "tan." Here are the originals: Logo sheets, home & road, alternates, and primary jacket alongside heritage outerwear.

NnXz0lw.png

The uniforms follow a pretty basic template, with black/tan/black sleeve and trouser trim. Tan letters with black outlines emphasize how the team can “own” that color (like the current Missions should) The socks have two tan stripes, tying into the cap logo. The numerals are from the Wyoming font, as Stengkol’s numbers look terrible. 

kzNak6N.png

The alternates include a black jersey with the “SA” insignia on the chest, a tan-brimmed cap, and the tertiary on the sleeve. The heritage design emulates the Missions circa 1991, when Pedro Martinez played for the team. I opted not to use that version of the interlocking “SA,” as it reminded me too much of the ASU baseball logo.

PnTyig5.png

The jackets are simple designs derived from their respective identity packages. I didn’t want to use white outlines on the retro outerwear, but since the originals had them, I opted to insert them.

ibJ4E8v.pngOn3yTlz.png

Much like the Spurs, San Antonio baseball can have a minimalist design that doesn’t try to do anything that crazy. C+C is much appreciated, as always!

Up next, what if San Antonio had a more… radical design?

Brian McTaggart, “Marlins Get Cozier with San Antonio - City’s Political Leaders Meet with Franchise Owner at Minute Maid Park,” Houston Chronicle, April 4, 2006, sec. SPORTS; Tom Orsborn, “S.A. Makes First Pitch to Marlins Owner,” San Antonio Express-News, April 4, 2006, sec. A Section.

2 Brian McTaggart, “Marlins Get Cozier with San Antonio - City’s Political Leaders Meet with Franchise Owner at Minute Maid Park,” Houston Chronicle, April 4, 2006, sec. SPORTS.
3 McTaggart.

4 Barry Jackson, “San Antonio `Very Viable,’ Loria Says,” Miami Herald, The, April 12, 2006, sec. Sports.

5 Jaime Castillo, “D.A.’s Trip to the Ball Game Revives Talk of Reed Relieving Wolff,” San Antonio Express-News, April 8, 2006, sec. Metro and State News; Barry Jackson, “Marlins Get a Serious Suitor,” Miami Herald, The, March 9, 2006, sec. Front; Tom Orsborn, “S.A. Makes First Pitch to Marlins Owner,” San Antonio Express-News, April 4, 2006, sec. A Section.

6 Tom Orsborn, “Wolff Ponders Setting Deadline for the Marlins,” San Antonio Express-News, April 5, 2006, sec. Sports; Tom Orsborn, “Wolff Plans to Give Marlins a Deadline,” San Antonio Express-News, April 16, 2006, sec. Sports; Tom Orsborn, “Marlins Told to ‘Fish or Cut Bait,’” San Antonio Express-News, April 18, 2006, sec. A Section; Tom Orsborn, “Hopes Fade in Pursuit of Marlins,” San Antonio Express-News, April 19, 2006, sec. Sports.

7 Jackson, “San Antonio `Very Viable,’ Loria Says”; Tom Orsborn, “Marlins Tout S.A. at Home,” San Antonio Express-News, April 12, 2006, sec. Sports; Sarah Talalay, “Still Looking for Commitment - Visits to Other Cities on Hold, for Now.,” Sun Sentinel, April 11, 2006, sec. SPORTS; Sarah Talalay, “`Reenergized’ Loria Strikes Positive Note - Owner: San Antonio `serious,’ but MLB Prefers South Florida,” Sun Sentinel, April 12, 2006, sec. SPORTS; Steven Wine, “Another Setback in Marlins’ Ballpark Bid,” Associated Press Archive, May 6, 2006.

8 Ray Buck, “Skeptics Ask Why, Not When,” Fort Worth Star-Telegram, April 21, 2006, sec. Sports; Richard Oliver, “City Carries Weight in Franchise Dealin,” San Antonio Express-News, May 7, 2006, sec. Sports; Orsborn, “Hopes Fade in Pursuit of Marlins.”

9 Richard Oliver, “It’s Time for S.A. to Focus on Itself,” San Antonio Express-News, March 18, 2007, sec. Sports.

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - San Antonio Pt. I Added

I like the whole look but the primary logo is a bit weak, their current primary logo isn't the best, but utilizes the Alamo as the  shape of the logo, which I think would work a bit better than the roundel. I think the tertiary would be a great starting point for it. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 7/2/2020 at 3:32 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I like the whole look but the primary logo is a bit weak, their current primary logo isn't the best, but utilizes the Alamo as the  shape of the logo, which I think would work a bit better than the roundel. I think the tertiary would be a great starting point for it. 

Thanks! I'll tweak the primary to more resemble the tertiary design.

On 7/3/2020 at 8:22 PM, coco1997 said:

A very classy, timeless looking identity. I really like it.

Thank you!

SAN ANTONIO REBELDES - Fiesta Fury

It was tough to come up with a Spanish-language alternative to Missions. Texas (well, San Antonio anyway) is a relatively pluralistic region when it comes to the Hispanic population (39.7% of Hispanic descent in the state and 60.7% in Bexar County).1 Since the Astros name isn't technically Spanish and the Rangers celebrate an organization known for discriminating against Mexican-Americans, it would make sense to have a Spanish-language sobriquet in Texas. 

Rebeldes made sense as a name since it honored the Tejanos (Texans of Mexican descent) who fought in the Texas Revolution, most notably at the Battle of the Alamo. The logo emulates a Tejano rebel.

With regards to the colors, I opted to include the "Fiesta" colors with black. Since Fiesta San Antonio honors the Texas Revolution, it made more sense than doing it for the Spurs. I've gone on rants about why the Spurs shouldn't use Fiesta (TL;DR: it goes against the organization's culture under coach Popovich), but it should be fair game for other clubs in the city.

The font is the same one from the Missions, with black outlines and fiesta interiors. The secondary logo follows this pattern. I also threw in a roundel, for black backgrounds.

EDIT 7/10/20: I replaced the face with a heraldry design (featuring the Alamo, cannons, cutlasses, and a star). The heraldry design now appears in the tertiary roundel. Here are the originals: Logo sheetshome & roadmain alternatessecondary alternatesprimary jacket, and heritage outerwear.

jfnOM6T.png

The uniforms use a modified version of FenwayParkJF for the cursive scripts. Said scripts have teal strokes with an insert of the fiesta colors. Striping features color blocks of fiesta colors with black outlines, which also appear on the socks. The Wyoming font returns for the numbers. There are also sand road uniforms, a la the Padres.

m6qTxjs.png

The alternates include both teal and black jerseys. The teal set has a teal-billed cap, while the black top has fiesta lettering for the insignia and numbers. 

JmE7ntA.png

That second set of alternates has a teal-billed cap with the home uniform, alongside a vintage design. Said vintage alternate carried over from the Missions design.

LnTe2XC.png

The primary jacket modifies the road script to have a free-standing fiesta tail, while stripes appear throughout the design. The vintage outerwear carries over from the Missions piece.

ipzOwWL.pngjoSyHby.png

Los Rebeldes can be a fantastic look, using local culture to set them apart from the rest of MLB. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up in the next batch, we have updates, a long-awaited rant about a particular fandom, and a few fictional clubs!

1 “U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Texas,” accessed July 5, 2020, https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/bexarcountytexas,TX/RHI725219.

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - San Antonio Pt. II Added

Also, not a fan of the face but I do like the name Rebeldes over Tejanos.  I think the fiesta colors are a bit overdone.  The stripes on the sleeves and pants would be enough or duplicate the Missions color scheme replacing Missions with the Rebeldes script.  I like the one color monogram you used for the Missions.  It could work with a teal bill. Also, I think the roundel should be the primary logo.  I think the Missions concept is the stronger of the two.

Both sets for Oklahoma City & San Antonio each are fantastic!

I love the choice to go with Thunder colors for OKC, as that makes a perfect transition from the 2012 Marlins. The logo sets and the alternates are great in particular.

Both San Antonio sets are nice, as well. The black & gold is a solid, classic baseball look, but the fiesta colors are absolutely inspired, especially with the sand-colored road. I was just wondering whether there was any MLB team that could pull off a “Cavs style” striping, but you used it here to perfection. It ties in so nicely to the fiesta colors on the hat and socks.

Looking at it, I agree with not being a huge fan of the primary logo from an aesthetic standpoint. I wonder if you could use the roundel as a base, and then replace the face on the interior with the “SA” monogram or something else? I love the font you chose for the logos and wordmarks, so the more those can be used the better, I think.

Great work as always!

I agree with everything @MJD7 said about the Rebeldes. I don’t mind the face logo, but especially in today’s climate, I can guarantee someone would find reason to take offense to it, no matter your intention. I love your use of color, however. 

On 7/5/2020 at 10:40 AM, rjrrzube said:

Not a fan of the face, or the name. But you mentioned a better one, I think. And one that a San Antonio baseball team once used. 

Why not Tejanos? 

On 7/5/2020 at 2:47 PM, CanucksFan said:

Also not a huge fan of the face. I think Tejanos would work better as well, as @rjrrzube mentioned. The colour scheme is fun though.

Thanks. I'm sticking with Rebeldes, since Tejanos is just a Spanish translation of the NFL Texans' name. Also, when the Dallas team uses the "Texas" identifier, it just look strange. 

On 7/5/2020 at 6:10 PM, teeray01 said:

Also, not a fan of the face but I do like the name Rebeldes over Tejanos.  I think the fiesta colors are a bit overdone.  The stripes on the sleeves and pants would be enough or duplicate the Missions color scheme replacing Missions with the Rebeldes script.  I like the one color monogram you used for the Missions.  It could work with a teal bill. Also, I think the roundel should be the primary logo.  I think the Missions concept is the stronger of the two.

Thanks! I'm more inclined to like the Rebeldes concept, since I wanted something really "out there" for San Antonio/the club that was the Marlins.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:34 PM, bcon_731 said:

That’s a solid set! 

On 7/6/2020 at 4:17 PM, Krz said:

The face logo looks dated, and I don’t think it would be received well. However the jerseys and hats look great like usual.

Thanks!

On 7/7/2020 at 12:09 PM, MJD7 said:

Both sets for Oklahoma City & San Antonio each are fantastic!

I love the choice to go with Thunder colors for OKC, as that makes a perfect transition from the 2012 Marlins. The logo sets and the alternates are great in particular.

Both San Antonio sets are nice, as well. The black & gold is a solid, classic baseball look, but the fiesta colors are absolutely inspired, especially with the sand-colored road. I was just wondering whether there was any MLB team that could pull off a “Cavs style” striping, but you used it here to perfection. It ties in so nicely to the fiesta colors on the hat and socks.

Looking at it, I agree with not being a huge fan of the primary logo from an aesthetic standpoint. I wonder if you could use the roundel as a base, and then replace the face on the interior with the “SA” monogram or something else? I love the font you chose for the logos and wordmarks, so the more those can be used the better, I think.

Great work as always!

Thanks! I really wanted to do the Fiesta colors justice here, as well as a Cavs/Bucks-styled striped set. I'd say it worked pretty well. I opted to dump the face for a heraldry design, since that was more my jam.

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I agree with everything @MJD7 said about the Rebeldes. I don’t mind the face logo, but especially in today’s climate, I can guarantee someone would find reason to take offense to it, no matter your intention. I love your use of color, however. 

Thanks. Yeah, the face was a terrible idea. Like, it just looks doofy compared to other face designs, while also being slightly insensitive (despite trying to do the "respectable" angle - I've Washington NFL'd myself). That's why I've gone in the heraldry angle instead.

5 hours ago, teeray01 said:

Maybe pick another name from suggestions made earlier by coco1997 using the fiesta color scheme?

- Scorpions

- Alamos

- Toros

- Outlaws

- Rebels

- Armadillos

Sorry, but I'm sticking with Rebeldes.

So, with this update. I gave the Missions a new primary logo, while also improving the retro script. The tan is also lighter.

NnXz0lw.png

mwk1xhy.png

The Rebeldes get a new primary logo that ditches "Señor Antonio" for a heraldry design, inspired by Texian Army flags.

800px-Texas_Flag_Come_and_Take_It.svg.png800px-Brown's_Flag_of_Independence.svg.png800px-Flag_of_Georgia_Battalion.svg.png

(From left: the "Come and Take It" flag of John Henry Moore from the Battle of Gonzales, Brown's Independence Flag from the Siege of Bexar, and the Troutman Flag of the Georgia Battalion from the Battle of the Alamo)

jfnOM6T.png

The canons are my Tampa Bay Cannons design, while the cutlasses are a new element (I am unashamed in flipping assets I've previously created). 

The updates are above in the original posts.

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - San Antonio Updated

Archived