MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

So yeah, I’ve been away from my thread for months now. I’m still busy with school and other projects I’m undertaking. Don’t worry, I’ll try to get back to the series as soon as I can.

I just felt like I lost a lot of the passion, you know? I was working on designs, but had just hit a big creative block with them. I got caught up in other pursuits and neglected this. I’m going to be back, but be patient, please. 

• Like 20

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

So yeah, I’ve been away from my thread for months now. I’m still busy with school and other projects I’m undertaking. Don’t worry, I’ll try to get back to the series as soon as I can.

I just felt like I lost a lot of the passion, you know? I was working on designs, but had just hit a big creative block with them. I got caught up in other pursuits and neglected this. I’m going to be back, but be patient, please. 

I totally get how you're feeling. Don't worry about this, worry about you and get yourself back into the mindset and find the passion again. Your stuff kicks ass. Find that passion again and come back when you're ready

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 months later...

I just discovered this series and absolutely loved it!  Especially being from Milwaukee.  I was just curious if you had any ideas or insight on concepts if the Brewers had left Milwaukee in the mid-late 90s?  During that time, leading up to the construction of Miller Park, there was a lot of fear mongering of the team leaving if a stadium deal couldnt be reached.  At one point I seem to recall hearing that the Brewers likely would move to Virginia or the Carolinas if the team couldnt get a new stadium.  I didnt find alot of info on it but I did find this...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1996/06/18/brewers-possible-relocation-may-aid-n-virginia-cause/fb6dceba-74d6-4edb-852a-7c70638422c3/

and a "what if" story... 

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/WhatiftheBrewershadLeftMilwaukee1/

Any chance when you resume the project you could examine some concepts of this move?  Thanks.

Edited by thakfu

• 1 month later...

For those curious about my recent suspension,

NMqfJZP.gif

Indeed I did. I really needed the week off for being such a s--thead.

Since some time last year, I've felt kind of directionless here. I haven't been posting in my big concept series (or doing much of anything on the concept front), so I just wound up drifting into being a "general" poster. This was also around the same time I found other communities, some of which I really enjoyed (a few discord servers) and others I found to be toxic trash heaps (KF). I got a bit too deep into "my internet," researching questionable people and exposing myself to all kinds of madness and depravity. When you read about certain malevolent furries and their exploits don't faze you, you know you've gone too far.

I didn't think the deep dives were wearing on my system, but I now think they did. It made me argumentative, angsty, and addicted to fighting. I started fighting when I didn't need to fight (the reveal fights, where I tried to generalize the upper echelons of the community as a bunch of rigid traditionalists). I stopped being respectful (see my mcrosby rants and my direct callouts of several posters), and completely gave in to my disregard for rule four (if I saw somebody supporting native american mascots, I'd have a rant ready for them). I always wanted there to be a situation where a bunch of people came to my aid and forced a serious discussion (a kind of "righteous anger," if you will), but I never got that because I was going about it like a sewer rat.

My transition from "historian/concept guy with well-argued points" to "dingus who posts internet weirdness and attacks anybody he mildly dislikes" turned me into the kind of poster who brought down the level of discourse. Yours truly also exposed people to far too much nastiness (regular internet convos don't need people name-dropping Dahvie Vanity). But no more! 

I want out of this spiral. Therefore, I resolve not to engage in forum arguments (let the mods handle rule four stuff - don't engage, just report), stay away from threads when I don't like their direction, and never personally attack people here again. Aside from write-ups, I've got the next batch of concepts ready. The concepts were why I was here in the first place and I'd love to get back into them. They gave me a sense of belonging here, especially in regards to putting the historical info out there. I'll take more time away from here, as I liked being away from all of the discourse here for a week. 

This is my final apology, as the best apology for one's actions is to follow through on improving your attitudes and mending bridges. Thanks for your words of support, guys, and I hope to be back to my old mellow self once again. 

TL;DR: I became a douchebag, got rightfully called out, took time away, and now I'm back. Expect concepts here again by the weekend.

• Like 34

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - An explanation

I'm glad this incident's caused you to think about things a bit more, SF. I really like your concepts and was worried you'd end up driving yourself off the site due to how you were acting recently like what had happened to Sparky.

• Like 7

Even though I was unaware you were suspended, I’ll say this: It takes a big man to be so honest and admit their mistakes the way you just did. You have a lot of supporters on this site and I'm glad you've decided to recommit yourself to your craft. 

• Like 14

Big-time respect for you for realizing your mistakes and resolving to be a better person. I love your concepts and what you bring to discussion (at least, before this recent batch) because I think you have an excellent historic perspective and amazing talent. I cannot wait to see your concepts to come!

• Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

Respect, SFG, glad you are back! Would be a shame to lose you.

41 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Even though I was unaware you were suspended, it takes a big man to be so honest and admit their mistakes the way you just did. You have a lot of supporters on this site and I'm glad you've decided to recommit yourself to your craft. 

FYI on the Forum Policies and Announcements section, the mods make a thread with the suspended/banned user's name on the thread title and on the post, explain why he/she was suspended/banned and for how long.

• Like 6

Thank you guys for being so understanding, it really means a lot to me. 

CHARLOTTE KNIGHTS - Queen City Close Call

After brief consideration during the Twins’ ill-fated Carolina venture (read more here), Charlotte began concentrating on an MLB stadium. The AAA Knights’ venue was aging, and in poor repair, so it made sense to go all-in with an upgrade. When the Marlins’ David Samson began touring various cities around the US, Charlotte was on the list. In April 2006, real estate lawyer Jerry Reese had a plan for a 38,000-seat retractable-roof venue in the uptown/Second Ward of Charlotte. That stadium would be the cornerstone of a $600 million-$700 million redevelopment called The Brooklyn Renaissance Project (which included condos and more retail space).1  However, the plan competed with a rival proposal to construct a stadium for the minor-league Charlotte Knights in the Third Ward of Charlotte.2  

The city government, namely the mayor, wasn’t inclined to support the MLB plan. By the end of 2006, the city decided to move ahead with the $35 million stadium plan for the Knights.3 Reese criticized the city for this move and later sued to block the land transfers as “the deals were a sham that shortchanged taxpayers by not selling to developers for a higher price,” among other claims.4 That project would eventually become BB&T Ballpark, arguably one of the best minor league stadiums in the sport. 

Ultimately, Reese’s plan might have worked in the long-run. While financial statistics do not indicate that Charlotte could have supported MLB in the mid-’00s, trends would indicate that support could eventually arrive.5 Perhaps Reese was right to criticize Charlotte’s city government for backing out of an MLB plan, especially when we see the struggles of both the Marlins and Rays. However, banking on the Marlins’ game of baiting other cities was an ill-thought-out idea. 

But what if the Marlins were serious? What if Reese got his stadium plan done and brought MLB to Charlotte?

Given the long history of the Knights name (dating back to 1989), I thought it would be best to keep the sobriquet and the medieval aesthetic. The colors are the current Knights’ colors, with the provision that gold, silver, and white never touch. Taking inspiration from this novelty helmet, a few blackletter fonts, and this knight’s helmet plume, I crafted both a logo and a wordmark font for the team. The primary uses a shield with the helmet and an Old English C, while the cap logo is that same gold Old English C paired with a silver and white plume.

LLERqdK.png

The uniforms use a simple placket and sleeve trim template. Wordmarks and rear numbers are gold with a black outline, while the front numbers are silver or white with a black outline. The number font is a modified version of the Tar Heels font I’ve used previously for the Reds. Sock stripes feature an asymmetrical design, with a black/white/back pattern sandwiched between a large gold and a large silver stripe.

neHFs3N.png

The alternates include a black jersey with the cap logo on the chest and the tertiary on the sleeve. A creme alternate also appears, mimicking the Charlotte Hornets of the 1960s. It reuses some elements from my old Carolina Pilots design.

t5x7YWB.png

Outerwear reflects the sock stripes and the “no-touch” trick.

0iMXen6.png

Charlotte is lucky in having as good a minor league identity as the Knights. It only takes a little bit of work to get it up to the major league level. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, an Oklahoma City trip. 

1 Peter Smolowitz and Stan Choe, “Big Pitch: Ballpark, Marlins - County Board Hears `intriguing’ Plan for Major League Baseball,” Charlotte Observer, The, January 19, 2006, sec. Main, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&t=state%3ANC!USA%2B-%2BNorth%2BCarolina&sort=YMD_date%3AD&page=1&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&val-base-0=marlins charlotte visit&fld-nav-0=YMD_date&val-nav-0=2005 - 2009&docref=news/10F42656132A1CD8.

2 Carrie Levine, “The Big Pitch - Backers of 2 Plans for Uptown Baseball Must Prove Their Viability,” Charlotte Observer, The, February 5, 2006, sec. METRO, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&t=state%3ANC!USA%2B-%2BNorth%2BCarolina&sort=YMD_date%3AD&page=1&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&val-base-0=marlins charlotte visit&fld-nav-0=YMD_date&val-nav-0=2005 - 2009&docref=news/10F9C0D5C977CC30.

3 Carrie Levine, “Land Deal for Ballpark Advances - Board Tells County Staff to Negotiate Final Deal,” Charlotte Observer, The, December 20, 2006, sec. METRO, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&t=&sort=YMD_date%3AD&fld-nav-0=YMD_date&val-nav-0=2006 - 2006&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&val-base-0=charlotte marlins baseball reese&docref=news/116290364364F138; Andrew Shain, “Marlins Say Move to City Possible - Mayor Says He Doubts Charlotte Is Ready, Won’t Lobby for It,” Charlotte Observer, The, April 4, 2006, sec. Metro, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&t=&sort=YMD_date%3AD&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&val-base-0=marlins loria charlotte stadium&fld-nav-0=YMD_date&val-nav-0=2004 - 2007&docref=news/110CDAFA4E325E70. 

4 Victoria Cherrie, “Baseball Land-Swap Suits Tossed - Lawyer Had Sued to Block Real Estate Deal Meant to Clear the Way for Uptown Stadium Designs for $35 Million Facility Are Nearly Done,” Charlotte Observer, The, October 11, 2007, sec. METRO, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&t=&sort=YMD_date%3AD&fld-nav-0=YMD_date&val-nav-0=2006 - 2007&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&val-base-0=charlotte marlins baseball reese&docref=news/11C3C60B0E9A9620.

5 Erik Spanberg, “A Major League Income Shortfall,” Charlotte Business Journal, February 2, 2006, https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2006/02/06/story1.html.

• Like 23

It's absolutely gorgeous! It's stupid that the city spent so much on a minor league stadium (even if BB&T Ballpark is beautiful) but I think the Knights name would've been "promoted" like the Angels and Padres. That said, the logos aren't really doing it for me. The helmet and C is a little awkward, I honestly prefer for the helmet C the team currently uses. That said the scripts and jersey are nothing short of fantastic, the only thing I'd change is putting pinstripes on the home jersey, it's become a tradition for Charlotte baseball (and basketball) teams to utilize pinstripes, plus it looks great on the Hornets fauxbacks. Excited for OKC!

• Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

I agree with QCS, the colors are and uniforms are easily some of the best in the league but the logo package is off, I had a hard time making out the helmet and the C logo looks like a C with a horse mane, I think a tweaked and scaled back version of the current logo set, some of the gimmicky-ness of some of the logos can be removed, would top this set off as one of my favorites of yours! 

• Like 5

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

First off, glad to see you back SFG! Welcome back and looking forwards to seeing your contributions again. It’s always been a pleasure to converse with you, as well as to see your designs.

I really love your take on the Knights! The medieval look is something that would really stand out from the rest of the league in a great way. The wordmarks especially are excellent, and not only look medieval but manage to have a classic baseball look as well. Great work!

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

So glad to see this series back, but right now I just want to applaud you for admitting your mistake.  Sadly, people like you are few and far between these days, but it is very encouraging that you aren’t too proud to admit when you’re wrong.  God bless you sir.  

• Like 3

spacer.png