MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

Thanks for the C+C, guys!

On 9/9/2018 at 9:02 PM, the admiral said:

Big fan of powder blue as a base color, a team should be doing that. My only concern is the six-string striping on the socks: it might be too busy to register as such. I was playing around with the Nashville Sounds in Perds yellow and navy the other day and thought maybe five blue stripes (a staff) on yellow socks could be a nice musical touch. So maybe just six stripes in white or royal on columbia?

Maybe the St. Louis Blues could have wound up as the Checkers if Purina had gotten in on the ground floor of that dodgy little enterprise: the expansion team no one but the Black Hawks asked for.

Thanks. It's indeed time that a team really embrace powder as a primary color, like the Rays or even the Padres (in balance with brown). I can see where you're coming from on the socks, as I made the white stripes too thick/spaced them too close together. I tried the six solo royal and white stripes, but they just got kind of lost on the background. So, I shrunk and spaced out the stripes, so that they may better read as a six-string (or negative space staff).

sm7W8wr.png

Checkers sounds like a good name. I'll keep that in mind for an NHL series down the line, thanks. Better make the most out of the Wirtzs' desire to unload the decrepit St. Louis Arena onto some poor schmucks (OITGDNHL goes back a long way, doesn't it?). 

On 9/10/2018 at 7:44 AM, coco1997 said:

I think this is one your best concepts to date! I’m a sucker for a music-themed identity and would love to see one in MLB. (Heck, you could take the Nashville Sounds, use one of their earlier uniform designs, tweak the colors a bit and promote them to the Majors and you’d have an instant classic.)

I love what you’ve done with the Royals’ “KC” logo by incorporating the music note head, and the logos and scripts are all perfect. I don’t think there’s a single thing I’d change. Bravo!

Thanks! I really found myself liking this one as well. A big shoutout should deservedly go to the concept that inspired this, @dsaline97's Nashville Blues. I figured that I could improve upon his ideas (double blue and incorporating notes into scripts), and I'd like to think I accomplished this. Check out his old USBL thread, it has got some stellar stuff.

On 9/10/2018 at 6:45 PM, vtgco said:

I love that "Blues" script with the music note B! The KC monogram looks good too!

Great choice with the Monarchs jersey here, especially that hat!

I'm also a big fan of the light blue alt; it's got the best color balancing & contrast b/w the script & background.

I think the numbers & logo on the Navy alt ought to match the cap logo (white w/ LB outline).

I like the ideas behind your logos, but I think they're a bit busy, especially the tertiary. I'd focus on that trumpet! On the primary logo, maybe ditch the script?

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I've simplified the logos and adjusted the royal top, per your suggestions. I think you'll find they're a lot cleaner and more in keeping with Shannon Manning's Royals designs.

drFAWLN.png

On 9/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, Whittier S said:

In all the might-have-beens in this thread, I don't think the San Juan Expos have been mentioned yet. Would love to see that.

Don't worry, they're on the docket (along with Virginia and Portland).

The next alternate take should be up soon.

Edited by SFGiants58
  • Like 5

KANSAS CITY MONARCHS, PT. II B - Coronation of a classic

Let's go back to our hypothetical scenario of Johnson renaming the A's after the Blues, with the assumption than Finley kept the name. Instead of trying to redeem the name after two garbage owners, Kauffman looked to revitalize the team after his 1966/67 purchase. He looks at the baseball history of Kansas City, and thinking rather progressively (for a baseball owner, anyway), has an idea. Why not use the name of the legendary Negro League team, the Kansas City Monarchs?

s-l300.jpg1fF1VB.So_.81_8.jpg.420x700_q85_upscale-e1467087656146.jpgnegro-leagues-museum-kansas-city-monarchs-robinson.jpg21+kcm.jpg

(Left to right: Satchel Paige, Buck O'Neil, Jackie Robinson, and the 1921 team).

While most of MLB's ownership really didn't give much a crap about the Negro Leagues at the time, the tide was slowly turning in their favor (e.g., Ted Williams' Hall of Fame speech). Let's assume that Kauffman, seeing both Williams' speech and the Monarchs' legacy (multiple league titles and two Colored/Negro World Series titles), decided to adopt the name after dealing with the appropriate rights' holders. He would then commission Hallmark to design an identity that paid tribute to the Negro League Monarchs while having a modern edge. Shannon Manning's design won out, with its combination of a crown, a banner/home plate, and a modernization of the Monarchs' classic "KC" logo (seen here in 1945, 1949, circa 1921and 1924). The team would also eschew the blue of the Blues, instead opting to merge the Monarchs' red-heavy and blue-heavy (and also split balance) looks into a dominantly purple design with yellow-gold accents. The design, with its simple template and cursive scripts, would only receive tweaks in the intervening years.

TL;DR: It's a mix of the Royals and the Monarchs in purple and yellow, much like I have done before and hinted at in the Unpopular Opinions thread

The primary logo is a modified version of the Royals' primary, albeit with the "Monarchs" cursive script and the new interlocking "KC." This "KC" features several historic influences, such as the 1952 insignia's serifs - with the 1945/49's angles on the right side of the "K" part, the circa-1940s version's top serif and missing wishbone edge - the latter also being an A's trait, and the general proportions of the aforementioned 1945/49 crest. These changes work well to modernize the insignia, keeping the letterforms different enough from other teams (cite @the admiral's bit about each team with a "C" having their own variant) while preserving the character of the design. The tertiary uses the "Heart of Kansas City" patch from the 1942 uniforms (@BigRed618@coco1997 and @Carolingian Steamroller have also had fantastic  updates of it), with the primary, the A's 1920s/30s insignia, and the Monarchs' Tuscan font "M" logo This was my way of injecting a bit of the Athletics into the identity, as I don't like the idea of a team that won five World Series and several additional pennants disappearing into the historical ether.

EDIT: I removed the tail from the "Kansas City" part of the wordmark, per @Whittier S's suggestion. Here is the original image.

EDIT #2: I updated the "Monarchs" script to have a more natural-looking "M." Here is the comparison and here is the first updated image.

fE073XE.png

The home and road set don't feature too much modification from my Royals concept, with similar sleeve/pants striping and use of the primary logo. The big difference comes in the scripts, which use the thicker Athletics'-style font (albeit with the "underline right stroke," used by the Royals since the early '00s). That way, the team can justify using a thicker/blockier cap logo than the current one (although the on-field embroidery is thicker than the print design - look at the discrepancy). The script's "M" has its roots in the Liebe  recreation of the Royals' font, with some adjustments. The socks have a one-color Northwestern Stripe, like the 1942 Monarchs squad's hosiery. Numbers are block standard, while the NoB's are Rawlings Block. This is the original rendering, in the link.

6OljnCe.png

The alternates feature a few more historical homages. The gold top has contrast-colored raglan sleeves, like the 1940s uniforms. This trick only works when the body is a lighter color than the sleeves, BTW. The heart patch resides on the sleeves, while the "KC" is on the chest. The purple jersey has no white outlines, as the white bled with the gold a bit too much for my liking. Here is the original image.

nHieoqe.png

The second set of alternates tributes the history of both the Monarchs and the Athletics. The 1942 Negro World Series Champion Kansas City Monarchs throwback is the same as in my KC A's concept, while the 1910 World Series  Champion Philadelphia Athletics  throwback is a new design. It has numbers, because I didn't want it to be too much of a throwback. They're the same font as my Reds concept.

A6XajoG.png

The dugout jackets have a few special features. The primary uses the Heart of Kansas City patch with Northwestern Stripes, the Monarchs throwback has the 1945 "KC" on the chest (modeled by Jackie Robinson), and the A's design features the final iteration of that simplified elephant logo.

N93Owk3.png thcJQZw.png

TCpf9ms.png

These Monarchs are easily my favorite Kansas City baseball concept of all the ones I've done. It's the perfect combination of different elements from the city's baseball history, a distinctive color scheme, and a name that honors the legacy of players like Satchel Paige and Buck O'Neil. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, what if the AL had a total brain fart and bought into "Wirtz-ian logic?"

P.S. The Royals should retire Paige's #25. Paige should also have a statue at Kauffman Stadium, along with Buck O'Neil (replicas of the statues from the O'Neil's Negro Leagues Museum - in Kansas City - would work well). This is just a little aside from me.

Edited by SFGiants58
Updated the wordmark
  • Like 12

Love the KC Monarchs design especially with a mix of the Royals. It's a great what-if, if the Kauffmans' didn't choose 'Royals' as the name and went with 'Monarchs' instead. Being from KC, I 110% agree that the Royals need to retire Paige's and O'Neil's numbers and built statues for them (Buck O'Neil for sure.). Keep up the awesome work!

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

I dig the Monarchs in purple and gold in a way I never could with Royals concepts. Probably the fresh-start aspect of it; the Royals can only be royal-powder-gold (but never all three at once) to me. 

13 hours ago, Topherlee2 said:

Being from KC, I 110% agree that the Royals need to retire Paige's and O'Neil's numbers and built statues for them (Buck O'Neil for sure.). Keep up the awesome work!

A statue for Buck O'Neil, most definitely, but the Royals have been stingy with retired numbers (one of the greatest hitters of all time, the championship-winning manager who died shortly thereafter, and comparatively speaking, the other guy) and they probably should keep it that way. I think having the Buck seat is a unique honor in that it's more community-minded than franchise-minded, as a retired number usually is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

A statue for Buck O'Neil, most definitely, but the Royals have been stingy with retired numbers (one of the greatest hitters of all time, the championship-winning manager who died shortly thereafter, and comparatively speaking, the other guy) and they probably should keep it that way. I think having the Buck seat is a unique honor in that it's more community-minded than franchise-minded, as a retired number usually is.

Very true.

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

Strange to see KC switch from the Dodgers of the Midwest to the Lakers!

Still, looks good. The Monarchs cap logo works well in this color scheme and with the Royals crown+shield. I like the purple jersey.

Looking forward to the Milwaukee White Sox (I assume...?) We've got some powder blue to look forward to, I'd imagine...

On 9/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Terrific job on the Monarchs!

I especially like the home script. It's a crisp look. When you have vibrant colors it becomes imperative to have a clean design template to work with.

Thanks for the shout out as well!

Thanks! 

On 9/14/2018 at 3:09 PM, coco1997 said:

More fantastic work! That primary logo would become instantly iconic if the Monarchs were a real MLB team.

Are the Milwaukee White Sox finally up next? ??

Thanks! The Royals' already classic logo made for a good base. Yes, the Milwaukee White Sox are next.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:56 PM, Topherlee2 said:

Love the KC Monarchs design especially with a mix of the Royals. It's a great what-if, if the Kauffmans' didn't choose 'Royals' as the name and went with 'Monarchs' instead. Being from KC, I 110% agree that the Royals need to retire Paige's and O'Neil's numbers and built statues for them (Buck O'Neil for sure.). Keep up the awesome work!

Thank you. I wanted there to be a Royals influence in all of the Kansas City concepts, as I presumed that the team/s would have had Kauffman ownership at one point or another.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:46 AM, the admiral said:

I dig the Monarchs in purple and gold in a way I never could with Royals concepts. Probably the fresh-start aspect of it; the Royals can only be royal-powder-gold (but never all three at once) to me. 

Thanks! I get why the Royals' brand equity makes a purple/yellow recolor such a hard sell. I would prefer royal-powder for them with very limited gold accents (logos and that's it), alongside powder-tinted road grays. 

I do like the Buck seat tradition and that the Royals are stingy with retired numbers, so it makes sense why they're reticent to acknowledge the numbers of the Monarchs' players (especially with a degree of inconsistency). Still, I maintain that Paige deserves that honor, given his prolific career and Hall of Fame induction (with a Monarchs cap, I might add).

On 9/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, Whittier S said:

Mostly on point, but I'm not digging the swoosh under "Kansas City" in the wordmark.

Thanks, and I fixed it. It's much less crowded now.

On 9/16/2018 at 12:42 AM, vtgco said:

Strange to see KC switch from the Dodgers of the Midwest to the Lakers!

Still, looks good. The Monarchs cap logo works well in this color scheme and with the Royals crown+shield. I like the purple jersey.

Looking forward to the Milwaukee White Sox (I assume...?) We've got some powder blue to look forward to, I'd imagine...

Thank you. I love purple/yellow and it was nice to dress up this A's/Royals/Monarchs hybrid in that look. There will be a bit of powder in the Milwaukee White Sox concept, just not in the way you think...

MILWAUKEE WHITE SOX - Wirtzian Logic for the Weiß Socken

This near-relocation has one of the more infamous reputations. I won't go into too much detail here, as there's an excellent Hardball Times article that covers it. The TL;DR of the scenario is that the White Sox were struggling to get people to Old Comiskey during the mid-late 1960s. Bud Selig, head of the Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Club, Inc., proposed to the White Sox President Arthur Allyn that they should hold both exhibition and "home" games at County Stadium. This was an effort to prove that Milwaukee was ready for an expansion team, even though both the NL and AL awarded teams to other cities.1 These games had fantastic attendance, which convinced Bud to try to buy the White Sox and move them to Milwaukee. With the appropriate Wirtz-style logic, namely that Milwaukee was adjacent to the Chicago market and wouldn't be too painful of a move, Bud made his purchase offer.2 The American League, learning from the National League's abandonment of the New York market from 1958-1961, decided it would not be in their best interests to give up one of the top three media markets in the country. So, Bud waited a few months and bought the bankrupt Pilots.3 But what if the AL had a brain fart and let this move go through?

Let's assume that the move went through and the White Sox continued their long identity struggle through to the 1990s. After 1990, the team would have a radical redesign akin to the 1990 White Sox and the 1994 Brewers, blending team history (specifically, the 1917 and 1959  uniforms) and the Germanic typeface style popular in Milwaukee.

val-blatz-brewery-litho-bbm.jpg resize.png

This would stick, as the team settled into sustained runs of contention and a distinctive image. 

The design features logos based around both Marthas and the 1994-99 Brewers typeface. I wanted Milwaukee to have a really "German"-looking team and this provided me the perfect opportunity. The colors include black, red, and yellow, to give it a Germanic look. The hierarchy is the same as the German flag, with black, then red, then yellow. I kept the current team's diamond sock patch. Thanks for the consult, @coco1997!

EDIT: I've adjusted the "Sox" logo to reflect @Carolingian Steamroller's C+C, as well as replacing the squared-off edges of the numbers with pointy ones. Here are the original images: Logo SheetHome and Road Uniforms, Friday Alternates, and dugout jacket.

XGM0iy0.png

This is a modification of my previous  White Sox designs, with black pinstripes on the home uniform and thick trim meant to showcase the full color scheme. The white socks now have two middle stripes to reflect the color hierarchy/mimic the German flag. I justified the double outline with the bleeding between red/yellow and yellow/white. I modded the Brewers' 1994-99 number font to better match the Marthas lettering.

JL9uF7G.png

The black alternate jerseys have a limit on their use, with the home set featuring non-pinstriped pants.

xA193Kj.png

The alternates include a 1917 World Series emulation and my mock-up of the first "Milwaukee" road uniform. This one is powder blue and features a modified version of the Brewers' 1990-93 road script with the "White Sox" of the 1960s-70s road script logo. I based the rest of the design on the 1969-70 road set.

LyDI9p1.png

The dugout jackets feature some fun design cues. The primary uses my modified 1987-90 "White Sox" script and sock-style arm striping, while the alternates feature period-appropriate designs (e.g., sock striping on the sleeves of the '70s model, the double American flags, etc.).

qL2FKoi.png GrC53ul.png

iIFyR38.png

The Milwaukee White Sox are a nice little blend of the Germanic Brewers and the 1990-present White Sox, creating a look that is distinctively theirs. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, a tale of three prototypes!

1Author's Note: Quite frankly, giving an expansion team to Milwaukee instead of Montreal (eventually subject to severe demographic issues and the hoopla surrounding Le Stade Olympique or Seattle (stadium obviously not ready, money problems with the expansion group, etc.) would have saved MLB a lot of trouble down the line.

2This is legitimately the logic thrown around as to why Milwaukee never got an NHL team. 

Staff, "A-side/B-side: Why Is It Okay for Wisconsin to like the Chicago Blackhawks?" Milwaukee Record, June 10, 2015, , accessed September 19, 2018, http://milwaukeerecord.com/sports/a-sideb-side-why-is-it-okay-for-wisconsin-to-like-the-chicago-blackhawks/.
3Frank Jackson, "A Short History of the Milwaukee White Sox," The Hardball Times, March 27, 2013, , accessed September 19, 2018, https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/a-short-history-of-the-milwaukee-white-sox/.

Edited by SFGiants58
Updated
  • Like 13

I really like the color scheme based on the Republican tricolor. 

I also think the three color design works best with a big "S" little "o" and little "x" style crest. It definitely works better than the Gothic S-o-x which is more Germanic but much more cluttered design-wise.

The problem though is that the 90's Brewers font isn't translating well to the S-o-x crest. The pointed bottom on the "o" seems incongruous since it's not nestling into the crook of the "S." Moreover, the ends of the "S" should probably curve down slightly. Having them go off more or less straight lends the impression to the "S" being unfinished. A good solution would be curve the ends of the "S" inward a touch and then flip the "o" so the flat end of the "o" is opposite the mostly straight center portion of the "S" while the pointed end faces the curved end portion. 

The scripts are pretty nice but I would ditch the extra nubs on the numbers since the squared nubs contrast with the more pointy letters in the wordmarks.

• Like 2

Thanks for the C+C, guys!

6 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I really like the color scheme based on the Republican tricolor. 

I also think the three color design works best with a big "S" little "o" and little "x" style crest. It definitely works better than the Gothic S-o-x which is more Germanic but much more cluttered design-wise.

The problem though is that the 90's Brewers font isn't translating well to the S-o-x crest. The pointed bottom on the "o" seems incongruous since it's not nestling into the crook of the "S." Moreover, the ends of the "S" should probably curve down slightly. Having them go off more or less straight lends the impression to the "S" being unfinished. A good solution would be curve the ends of the "S" inward a touch and then flip the "o" so the flat end of the "o" is opposite the mostly straight center portion of the "S" while the pointed end faces the curved end portion. 

The scripts are pretty nice but I would ditch the extra nubs on the numbers since the squared nubs contrast with the more pointy letters in the wordmarks.

Thanks! I've long wanted to do the big "S" little "o" and little "x" style crest for a White Sox concept, an opportunity that this concept provided for me. I've incorporated your suggestions about the logo and number font into the concept, which really improved the design. Here is a comparison:

0mOwYIR.png

Thanks again, @Carolingian Steamroller!

2 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

The White Sox look great! I really like the Germanic colors, but I gotta say, the "White Sox" word mark looks like Maryland to me. Nothing wrong, just a something I immediately jumped to. Excellent work so far! 

Thanks man. I did get a Maryland vibe from the design as well, albeit with more white and more focus around the triple outline.

The prototype story should be up tomorrow.

• Like 4

At long last, the Milwaukee White Sox! I’ve been waiting all series for this concept, and you didn’t disappoint! Love the black/red/gold color scheme and the Germanic scripts and numbers. 

Curious if you ever considered going with a clean white non-pinstriped look for the home set, a la the ‘69 Sox:

attachment.php?attachmentid=306217&stc=1

• Like 1

The edits are definitely an improvement. It looks outstanding now!

I've always been hesitant to do a Big "S" design because I feel strongly that the gothic S-o-x has cemented its place in Chicago lore. 

However, bringing the Sox to Milwaukee removes that hangup. It's nice because the Big "S" design lends itself really well three color schemes whereas the gothic S-o-x leads to a one color or no color option. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, coco1997 said:

At long last, the Milwaukee White Sox! I’ve been waiting all series for this concept, and you didn’t disappoint! Love the black/red/gold color scheme and the Germanic scripts and numbers. 

Curious if you ever considered going with a clean white non-pinstriped look for the home set, a la the ‘69 Sox:

attachment.php?attachmentid=306217&stc=1

Thanks! I had a feeling you'd like it. Here's a plain white version, which looks fairly similar to a White Sox prototype that surfaced on our unused logos/uniforms thread.

VTE7465.png

While I prefer pinstripes, the plain white looks pretty good as well.

12 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The edits are definitely an improvement. It looks outstanding now!

I've always been hesitant to do a Big "S" design because I feel strongly that the gothic S-o-x has cemented its place in Chicago lore. 

However, bringing the Sox to Milwaukee removes that hangup. It's nice because the Big "S" design lends itself really well three color schemes whereas the gothic S-o-x leads to a one color or no color option. 

Thanks for the C+C, it really fixed the design! It's hard to replace the fantastic gothic S-o-x, but a change of location makes such an adjustment possible. I'll probably replace the gothic S-o-x for both the Seattle and Tampa relocations, skewing modern with both locations.

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I like the addition of red and yellow to the home White Sox set. Gives the uniform a little more pop and makes them stick out a little more, and makes them rather unique.

Thank you. I wanted something to mix up the team's visual identity and adding yellow/red worked pretty well.

Anyway, it's time to prototype!

MILWAUKEE BREWERS -  A Tale of Three (Four) Prototypes

Since I’m saving the Seattle Pilots for last in the series, consider this their chronological entry. We all know that Selig moved the Pilots to Milwaukee after purchasing them, with many of us having a familiarity with their first uniforms.

16_DGB_Brewers_470x800.jpgArray.cdseo_url%7Creplace:'.html':''-1175-t287792-575.jpg

These outfits merely stripped the lettering off of the Pilots’ jerseys, with the home uniform receiving a reduction in trim striping after a year (link to 1971 home jersey). However, the team did consider several prototypes before settling on this look. @Gothamite goes into greater detail on his website, borchertfield.com, but the gist of it is that the team created at least three designs. 

mKEWBr5.png

The first one appeared at a sporting goods store in Milwaukee, resembling the 1990-93 home set. A Tuscan/Tiffany font variant appears in several photos, both at Spring Training and at the announcement of the team at General Mitchell Airport. A third one popped up on the Baseball Hall of Fame website, using a barely-modified Pilots design (with an 1911-37 American Association-style “Block M”). Since my research turned up no minor-league affiliates with an “M” initial during that time period of ‘69-’71, I’m concluding that it is a prototype.

My goal here is to take these photos and extrapolate what these full uniform sets would have looked like on Opening Day in 1970. I used the 1970-77 primary roundel, the emblem of the  Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Club, Inc.

Design One: Stick to the script.

This design plays it traditional, with a navy/red color scheme and pinstriped home set. The road uniforms are plain, with an appropriate “Milwaukee” script.

Zdk6SoR.png

EdhgbiS.png

Design Two: Tuscan Sunset.

I maintained the color flip from the 1970 look, while also implementing a Tuscan M for the cap (off of my Minneapolis Giants concept).

3CH0HjZ.png

AEF1kPk.png

Design Three: Rushing the gates.

The home uniform features the block M, while the road uniform mimics this prototype highlighted in Bill Henderson’s book.1 I also kept the Pilots’ striped socks, for some variety in design. The “Block M” is on the caps (narrower than the fixed Cooperstown Collection design - more accurate than New Era’s, but could do to lose a little width).

Wu4BNAL.png

l1O6kED.png

Design Four: My merger.

I’ve combined bits of all three designs into my ideal 1970 Brewers design.

rexGcJg.png

U3LTeIF.png

We could argue that these designs demonstrate how the newly-relocated Pilots could have had some solid looks. Yes, they’re derivative, but they would have been excellent placeholders for the now-iconic (and I don’t throw that word around lightly, unlike some) Ball-in-Glove. 

Up next, the Second Sens!

1William F. Henderson, Game Worn Guide to MLB Jerseys: (1970–2017), Eighth (Philadelphia, PA: Aardvark Publishing, 2017), 992.

• Like 7