MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

I LOVE what you've done with the Browns!

And as a practicing Catholic and a deacon's son, I can tell you right now that the cartoon Louie is NOT sacrilegious any more than the Padres' Swingin' Friar (which is my FAVORITE alternate logo EVER)

• Like 4

bYhYmxh.png

Love what you did with the Browns. I wasn’t sure if I liked the red in place of orange, but it’s growing on me.

So I’m imagining this AU, where the Birds ended up going to Milwaukee, and the Browns stay in StL. That means later on when the Seattle Pilots arrive, they won’t move after one season. The team that would have been the Brewers would have to show up in some other city. Baltimore? Unlikely, if the Senators had anything to say about it. That may have been fine in 1954, but by the 70s? Who knows?

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 12:30 PM, coco1997 said:

Me patiently waiting for the next team:

https://media.giphy.com/media/ISOckXUybVfQ4/giphy.gif

Well, guess who's back!

JnDyFxL.gif

I apologize for the delays. I had some things I needed to attend to in my personal life, and this kind of fell on the back-burner.

On 6/17/2018 at 7:39 AM, coco1997 said:

Great updates! I think you've perfected this iteration of the Browns.

Can we see the (Milwaukee) Browns next?

On 6/17/2018 at 8:09 AM, MBurmy said:

I LOVE what you've done with the Browns!

And as a practicing Catholic and a deacon's son, I can tell you right now that the cartoon Louie is NOT sacrilegious any more than the Padres' Swingin' Friar (which is my FAVORITE alternate logo EVER)

On 6/17/2018 at 11:24 AM, NDFreek said:

That swinging louie logo is perfect. 

I know it's been said countless times @SFGiants58 but everything you post is gold.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:01 AM, tigers said:

That new set for St Louis is fantastic.

It's amazing what a little outside the box thinking can come up with.

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you liked the Browns set. It was a lot of fun building the whole set, and I'm glad I added the Swingin' Louie (thanks @Carolingian Steamroller for the suggestion).

On 6/17/2018 at 4:18 PM, BigRed618 said:

Love what you did with the Browns. I wasn’t sure if I liked the red in place of orange, but it’s growing on me.

So I’m imagining this AU, where the Birds ended up going to Milwaukee, and the Browns stay in StL. That means later on when the Seattle Pilots arrive, they won’t move after one season. The team that would have been the Brewers would have to show up in some other city. Baltimore? Unlikely, if the Senators had anything to say about it. That may have been fine in 1954, but by the 70s? Who knows?

Thanks! My guess would be that the Braves moved to Baltimore (becoming the Orioles), while the Pilots either stayed put or simply didn't exist. 

Anyway, here we go!

MILWAUKEE BREWERS (FORMER ST. LOUIS BROWNS) - Swingin' and Brewin'

It is well-known that Bill Veeck, upon learning that Anheuser-Busch Inc. bought the Cardinals (and even before that), attempted to move the Browns to Milwaukee. The club spent its first year in Milwaukee (the founding location of the American League, as noted by this sign across the street from the Milwaukee County Historical Society's headquarters), but then moved to St. Louis and played like a toxic trash heap for the better part of 50 years. With Veeck's former ownership of the American Association Brewers, such a move made sense. 

Boosters had contacted Veeck about a potential move and/or sale to Milwaukee. However, Lou Perini of the Boston Braves would not give up his territory rights in Milwaukee, no matter how much money Veeck promised him. While it may have looked like Perini was blocking the move for inane reasons (i.e., preserving his minor-league club in Milwaukee), it was more that Perini wanted to move the Braves to the location.1

Even if Perini had allowed for the purchase of the territory and the Browns tried to move to Milwaukee, the “Old Boys' Club” known as the American League owners wanted Veeck out. That’s why the owners allowed the team to move to Baltimore under new leadership. However, let’s assume that Fred Miller (of Miller Brewing Company) and other Milwaukee boosters bought the team and the AL approved the move.2

Original details here:

Spoiler

Unfortunately, the Old Boys' Club known as the American League owners wanted Veeck out and wouldn't let him move (finally allowing the team to move to Baltimore after selling the club). However, what if the move happened?

In this series, let's suppose Veeck struck a deal to sell the team to Fred Miller while remaining in the organization. The AL owners would approve this move, transporting the team to Milwaukee and renaming the team the Brewers. Aesthetically, they would be a blend of the American Association Brewers and the Orioles, with a co-dominant color scheme and a cartoon logo. The color scheme would change, as Miller/Veeck would be anxious to downplay the Browns. Instead of navy/red, let's say navy/yellow-gold became the color scheme of choice, a unique color scheme in baseball that would homage the American Association team and fit in with the beer imagery/Marquette colors (UWM was red/white at the time). Powder would pop up in the 1970s/'80s, sticking around as an accent color (because it fits the city really well). Like the Baltimore Orioles, a locally-styled color scheme would supplant an ill-fitting one. Miller/Veeck ownership and their descendants would make sure to keep the general feel of this identity intact (again, akin to the Orioles).

Much like the Orioles and the American Association Brewers, the team's identity revolves around cartoon logos. A new rendering of Owgust is the center of the identity, based around the 1947/mid-60s-19771943, and 1942 versions (with some bits of my updated Wally Bird in the cap) - thanks @Gothamite for making them readily available on http://borchertfield.com. It also has a facsimile of the Brewers' old block M, which is notably less Michigan-y than others (narrow). The primary features the logo in a roundel with TribeType font and wheat leaves. The secondary is the head alone (with a yellow-gold outline) and the tertiary is the full Owgust logo. I'd like to send a big shout-out to @Htown1141 for workshopping the logos with me. Thank you so much for taking time to help me refine it. 

uksFXZ6.png

The uniforms are a blend of my previous Brewers concept (with American Association-style scripts, blue/yellow/blue stripes, and Packers-style sock stripes) and the Orioles (light-colored scripts/lettering with dark outlines, cartoon logo on cap, MLB Block Standard numbers with Rawlings Block NOB letters, etc.). I did make some modifications to the numbers, with dark-colored front numbers/NOB's and a Packers-style notch on the "5." I also used a powder blue-tinted base on the greys, for a bit more character.

IXTsWlc.png

The first set of alternates have a bit more of an Oriole-ish touch. The gold alternate has a white front panel on the cap, while the navy alternate features the roundel and a yellow-gold/white contrast on the numbers.

yKLUyYZ.png

The final set of alternates are a bit more "civic" in nature. The special event jersey uses a light blue base with the "Milwaukee" script, for various special events (e.g., 4/14, opening of Summerfest, etc.). It also has a cap to match Owgust's cap (and to emulate the Orioles' "O's" hat). The second is my old 1948 American Association Brewers concept, with a recolored version of my new Owgust logo. It's a nice way to tie in the new and old clubs. 

NB5ayyQ.png

The dugout jackets are updates of my previous Brewers jackets, with the primary one gaining the "Milwaukee" script, the roundel, and the new Owgust. The 1940s jacket features an update Owgust.

xSWINmL.png UDb1IH5.png

The Brewers/Orioles fusion turned out better than I thought it would! Not only does it allow the Brewers (former Browns) to embrace Owgust, but it keeps them further away from their cluttered mess of an identity and other side-effects (e.g.. Selig, "Wrigley North," etc.). C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, the Philly A's! 

1 Patrick Steele, Home of the Braves: The Battle for Baseball in Milwaukee, 1st edition (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2020).

2 Steele.

Edited by SFGiants58
New explanation, with citations!
  • Like 25

Oh man... that Owgust logo is beautiful!  Great call on the Packers-style stripes on the socks too.  That might be my favorite thing about the uniforms (apart from those gorgeous scripts, but we saw those in your last project).

I'm glad you mentioned Fred Miller in your story.  In my AU, the Brewers actually stuck with brown for awhile, and added gold shortly after because those were Blatz's colors.  Blatz was the Braves main sponsor in real life, so I figured they would naturally sponsor my AU's Brewers.  But that obviously wouldn't be the case if they were sold to Miller in your universe.

About the only thing I don't like is the scripts and numbers being gold.  I understand it's part of the Orioles influence, but they just don't seem to have the contrast that orange does to really work on the home and road in particular. I'd prefer they be navy.  I also think the M would work better as the primary caps and Owgust as the "civic" cap since Owgust is much more of a civic icon.

Anyway, those are my nitpicks... great work, as usual!

• Like 3

To get the one nitpick I have out of the way: I'm not too big a fan of the light blue alt, the color just looks a little too strong to me and it looks slightly odd to me not being present anywhere other than the jersey. If it were me, I would prefer a Cardinals-style powder blue fauxback alt like you did earlier in the thread.

However, I love the gold alternate. I also don't think I mentioned in the last series how much I love that sock stripe for the Brewers. The logos are pretty great too. Well done as usual! Looking forward to the A's.

• Like 2

I like the logo package a TON, except for the swinging barrel man. He looks disproportionate for whatever reason. I really like the main logo, great work. Love the way you worked powder blue into the scheme. The gold alt is absolutely fabulous, and so is the hat that goes along with it. Pretty flawless concept, again.

If I were to make one change, I would remove the swingin’ barrel man logo. Its just a bit clunky for my liking (hope that makes sense). I think thas just me though (unpopular opinion). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I need that sky blue jersey. 

Like really need it. I need it the way I need brown mustard and sauerkraut on my brat at the Old German Beer Hall on 3rd St. I need it the way I need maraschino cherries in my brandy old fashioned at the Safe House.

This guy wants it more than me, but I would like all your stuff @SFGiants58 if you posted it one at a time. :)

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

30 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I need that sky blue jersey. 

Like really need it. I need it the way I need brown mustard and sauerkraut on my brat at the Old German Beer Hall on 3rd St. I need it the way I need maraschino cherries in my brandy old fashioned at the Safe House.

That tourist trap?! ?

I 'll chase my brandy old fashioned with a tapper of PBR from the Roman Coin on Brady like Gorman Thomas used to do!

• Like 2

Your swinging Owgust fixes the problem that I always had with the 1970-77 Owgust:  the 1970-77 one is too diagonal, yours is much more orthogonal.  That alone makes this a great concept, the rest is just icing on the cake.  Great work!

• Like 1

QPR%20Sig.png

WOW. I think this is one of your best concept sets to date. It's great to see Owgust front and center (maybe the most underrated cartoon mascot in the league's history) and the scripts are just gorgeous. And those sock stripes... *chef's kiss.*

Can't wait to see the Philadelphia A's!

• Like 1