2018 FIFA World Cup

crashcarson15

13 hours ago, OlavoP said:

Please note that we really dislike Fox Sports around here. They were really praising Germany before the game.

And thank god there was no instant karma and we got to beat Serbia... Sixth star on the way

Fox Sports Brasil was probably not the ones touting the Germans, but big Fox was. I think as much as people are discounting Mexico it may be a tougher game for Brasil than people think. Especially if the ref that called the Switzerland-Serbia match is in charge. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Berlin Wall said:

I tend to say the final will be Portugal against Croatia / Belgium / England. I hope so at least.

Portugal making the semifinals would be overachieving. 

Fox Sports Brasil was probably not the ones touting the Germans, but big Fox was. I think as much as people are discounting Mexico it may be a tougher game for Brasil than people think. Especially if the ref that called the Switzerland-Serbia match is in charge. 

Also, yes, Fox Sports Brasil and a bunch of brazilian chanels praised Germany a LOT before the game. 

3 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Cool. Also, apparently Japan went through to the knockouts because they had less yellow cards than Senegal. That’s kind of interesting, but my god what a gut-wrenching way to get knocked out of the World Cup. 

That sucks for Senegal, but at the same time, advancing via respectfulness is about the most Japanese thing that could have happened. 

12 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

One of the Finnish news sites I go to daily had a big headline that said basically "F*** Sweden" Not even in the tournament and still hating on a team that is.

An Austrian website talked about how Germany has already proven they can't win in winter in Russia, now they've shown they can't win in summer either.

Two teams not in the World Cup (Finland and Austria) still talking smack about their rivals who did make it.

Sometimes, schadenfreude is all you have in sports.  

Now that the bracket is set:

1st Round

Portugal over Uruguay

France over Argentina

Brazil over Mexico

Belgium over Japan

Spain over Russia

Croatia over Denmark

Switzerland over Sweden

England over Colombia

Quarter Finals

Portugal over France

Belgium over Brazil

Spain over Croatia

England over Switzerland

Semi Finals

Belgium over Portugal

Spain over England

Third Place

England over Portugal

Finals

Spain over Belgium

Best Player: Harry Kane, England

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Round of 16:

Uruguay over Portugal

France over Argentina

Brazil over Mexico

Belgium over Japan

Spain over Russia

Croatia over Denmark

Sweden over Switzerland

England over Colombia

==

Quarter Finals

Uruguay over France

Brazil over Belgium

Spain over Croatia

England over Sweden

==

Semi Finals

Brazil over Uruguay

Spain over England

==

Third Place

England over Uruguay

==

Finals

Brazil over Spain

==

Best Player: Neymar, Brazil
Golden Boot: Harry Kane, England
Golden Glove: Alisson, Brazil

On 6/8/2018 at 4:17 PM, DG_Now said:

Are people still excited about Iceland? Poland?

I think Germany wins again. My personal favored team is Panama.

My wife is Polish, she's all-in? Me, l'm half English and French. Viva France!!!!!!!!!!

Round of 16:

Uruguay over Portgual

France over Argentina

Brazil over Mexico

Belgium over Japan

Spain over Russia

Croatia over Denmark

Sweden over Switzerland

Colombia over England

Quarter Finals

France over Uruguay

Brazil over Belgium

Croatia over Spain

Sweden over Colombia

Semi Finals

France over Brazil

Croatia over Sweden

Third Place

Sweden over Brazil

Final

Croatia over France

Might as well try my luck...

Round of 16

France over Argentina (I'm sorry, but no amount of Maradona grandstanding is going to save Messi and crew from what is going to be a beating)

Portugal over Uruguay (Toss up game here, but Ronaldo is on a crash course with history, I think)

Mexico over Brazil (Brazil really hasn't been that impressive and save for the last game, Mexico has)

Belgium over Japan (Easy decision here)

Spain over Russia (Russians look like paper tigers to me)

Croatia over Denmark (It feels like 1998 all over again for Croatia)

Switzerland over Sweden (Sweden got really lucky they caught Mexico napping, and I doubt the Swiss will let that happen to them unless they try to fly Albanian birds once again)

England over Columbia (England has been, to me, the most impressive side because there wasn't much expected from them and they have a good chance to do well)

Since I didn’t do group stage predictions, I’ll chime in now. 

Round of 16

Uruguay vs. Portugal - Going with my gut on here. Portugal got through a tougher group and have arguably the best player in the world, who is in some pretty good form. 2-1 on an extra time Ronaldo goal. 

France vs. Argentina - Normally I’d pick against France here because I don’t think they’re a mentally strong team. But this Argentina team’s strategy is “pass to Messi and pray.” 3-1. 

Brazil vs. Mexico - Mexico’s Ro16 barrier continues, as Brazil finally find their form and win handily, 3-1. Phillipe Coutinho continues to outplay Neymar. 

Belgium vs. Japan - This will be easy. Japan are plucky and have shown quality to get this far, but Belgium are superior to any team they’ve played so far. 4-0. 

Spain vs. Russia - Russia got exposed the minute they had to play a half-decent team in Uruguay. Spain is better on paper than them, but the sacking of their manager has clearly had an effect on them. It won’t matter here. 3-1. 

Croatia vs. Denmark - Croatia have looked really strong this tournament, dispatching Argentina and cruising through their group with 9 points. Dejan Lovren and the defense will shackle Eriksen and lead to a 2-0 Croatia win. 

Sweden vs. Switzerland - My lack of upset picks is incredibly boring, but Sweden’s good form is too much for me to pass up. 2-1. 

Colombia vs. England - In a sports year where the Washington Capitals and the Philadelphia Eagles are World Champions, England can reach the quarterfinals of a major tournament. If they do it on penalties they will win the whole thing. But they won’t, so 3-1 England with a Harry Kane brace. 

Quarterfinals

France vs. Portugal - The French will exact revenge for Euro 2016 in a match where their overall talent will simply be too much for Ronaldo and co. to overcome, and for the second time in a row, France will go to the semifinals of a major tournament having never looked convincing at any stage. 2-1. 

Brazil vs. Belgium - This is the perfect stage for the Belgians to exorcise the demons of tournaments past after disappointing showings at WC 2014 and Euro 2016 - taking down the mighty Brazil when they’ve never looked at their terrifying best. And that will continue. Except the Belgians will fold like they always do. 2-1 Brazil on a late Coutinho strike. 

Spain vs. Croatia - Spain haven’t looked right since they sacked their manager. Croatia will have tremendous confidence and form, and the combination of Lovren at the back, Modric in the middle, and Mandzukic and Perisic up top will prove too much for Spain, 3-1. 

Sweden vs. England - Still on a high from advancing to the quarterfinals of their first major tournament since 1990, the English will look at the matchup they’ve been given and scoff. The media proclaims that England are “back”, and headlines such as “Bring on Croatia” adorn newspapers. Then, Harry Kane is either injured or completely shackled by the Swedish defense, and England have no idea what to do with their captain and talisman not firing on all cylinders. They luck into a scrappy goal to take a 1-0 lead, but two Swedish goals in the second half - one in added time - sets up an all-Cinderella semifinal matchup between Croatia and Sweden. 2-1 to the Swedes. 

Semifinals

France vs. Brazil - In a matchup of traditional powers not playing up to their best so far, France starts out hot and gets a 3 on 2 counter attack within the first five minutes. Any potential momentum is squandered when Paul Pogba decides to shoot from 30 yards instead of passing. Suddenly, with the knowledge that France are too skilled for their own good, Brazil get jacked full of confidence and are playing at their terrifying best. Neymar suddenly looks like a player that someone shelled out £222m for. France can’t handle it and are humiliated, 4-0. 

Croatia vs. Sweden - In the “neutral’s final,” Croatia’s good form continues and their individual quality shines through despite the Swedes’ best efforts. Luka Modric pulls all the strings and registers 2 assists and the MOTM in the 3-2 win, sending his country into delirium at the possibility of doing the impossible...

2018 World Cup Final

Brazil vs. Croatia - ...which does not happen. The Brazilians suddenly realize that they were probably the best team in the tournament to begin with, and Neymar and Coutinho terrorize the formerly impenetrable, Dejan Lovren-led Croatia defense. Coach Tite’s controversial decision to start Roberto Firmino over Gabriel Jesus pays dividends, as Firmino’s combination of work rate, skill, and creativity baffles Croatia and leads to people wondering why Tite didn’t start him in the first place. Each of Brazil’s attacking trident scores, and despite a late Mandzukic consolation goal, Brazil take home their sixth World Cup title, to help balance out the Caps’ and Eagles’ championships. 

Top Scorer: Harry Kane, England

Best Player: Phillipe Coutinho, Brazil

Best Young Player: Kylian Mbappe, France

Best Goalkeeper: Alisson Becker, Brazil

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

2018 World Cup Final

Brazil vs. Croatia - ...which does not happen. The Brazilians suddenly realize that they were probably the best team in the tournament to begin with, and Neymar and Coutinho terrorize the formerly impenetrable, Dejan Lovren-led Croatia defense. Coach Tite’s controversial decision to start Roberto Firmino over Gabriel Jesus pays dividends, as Firmino’s combination of work rate, skill, and creativity baffles Croatia and leads to people wondering why Tite didn’t start him in the first place. Each of Brazil’s attacking trident scores, and despite a late Mandzukic consolation goal, Brazil take home their sixth World Cup title, to help balance out the Caps’ and Eagles’ championships. 

Top Scorer: Harry Kane, England

Best Player: Phillipe Coutinho, Brazil

Best Young Player: Kylian Mbappe, France

Best Goalkeeper: Alisson Becker, Brazil

I'll take that, lol

Round of 16

Portugal 1, Uruguay 1 (4-2 PEN) 

France 2, Argentina 1 (AET) 

Brazil 2, Mexico 0 

Belgium 3, Japan 0 

Spain 1, Russia 0 

Croatia 1, Denmark 0 

Switzerland 0, Sweden 0 (5-3 PEN) 

England 2, Colombia 1 

Quarterfinals 

France 0, Portugal 0 (4-3 PEN) 

Brazil 2, Belgium 1 

Croatia 1, Spain 1 (5-4 PEN) 

England 2, Switzerland 0 

Semi-Finalists

Brazil 1, France 0 

Croatia 1, England 0 (AET) 

Third Place 

France 3, England 2 

Final

Brazil 2, Croatia 1 

Golden Ball: Luka Modric (CRO) 

Golden Boot: Romelu Lukaku (BEL) 

Golden Boy: Kylian Mbappé (FRA) 

Golden Glove: Alison (BRA) 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I’ll be honest, on their side of the bracket, I had the hardest time choosing between Spain and Croatia. I picked Spain, but I really could just as easily see Croatia winning that matchup and even going all the way from there. Modric has been excellent.

All I know is this is going to be a lot of fun. I’m really expecting this Cup to be a classic.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

France has had 40% possession and 60% of tye scoring. They've been in control of the entire game minus the time after the second Argentine goal. Even when Argentina had 70% possession it felt like France was in charge.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived