2018 FIFA World Cup

crashcarson15

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a Frenchman meets an Englishman and asks him what he's up to.

The Englishman says, "We're playing the Croatians tomorrow!"

Frenchman replies, "How interesting! We're playing the Croatians on Sunday!"

LvZYtbZ.png

1 hour ago, willmorris said:

So a Frenchman meets an Englishman and asks him what he's up to.

The Englishman says, "We're playing the Croatians tomorrow!"

Frenchman replies, "How interesting! We're playing the Croatians on Sunday!"

so long and thanks for all the fish.

2 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

French leapfrog waffling Belgians to advance to World Cup Final, 1-0...

52 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

French fries into World Cup Final, beating waffling Belgians, 1-0...

The joke wasn't better the second time. Leave.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

15 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The joke wasn't better the second time. Leave.

The French National, which relates to a popular American fast food item, the French fry team defeats another club, the Belgium national team, which relates to a popular style of waffle, the Belgium waffle, and the score was one goal to zero goals. 

Excellent!

On 7/9/2018 at 1:03 PM, DG_Now said:

It's clealry not the best way to determine a winner, but if you don't have a clear better team after two hours, PKs are the best choice that isn't flipping a coin.

The best choice is the old NASL-style shootout (used also by MLS in its early years).  This method is better than penalties because it involved actual football, in which the attacker had to attack the goal from 35 yards out, and the keeper had to come out to defend.  Here's an example from 1980.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The best choice is the old NASL-style shootout (used also by MLS in its early years).  This method is better than penalties because it involved actual football, in which the attacker had to attack the goal from 35 yards out, and the keeper had to come out to defend.  Here's an example from 1980.

I'd love to see FIFA try this out in a youth cup just to see how it would go. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Didn't FIFA "use" the NASL to try this out before (and the 35 yard offside line) and ended up deciding they didn't like it? I'm foggy the the details.

Maybe use isn't the right word. Allow the NASL to try these rules might be a better way to describe it.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Didn't FIFA "use" the NASL to try this out before (and the 35 yard offside line) and ended up deciding they didn't like it? I'm foggy the the details.

Maybe use isn't the right word. Allow the NASL to try these rules might be a better way to describe it.

Right. They were ideas of the creators of the NASL.  FIFA tolerated these experiments, giving their provisional sanction after it dawned on the people running the NASL that they'd need FIFA approval. 

The NASL was the merger of two previous leagues that sprang up during a surge in interest in soccer in the U.S. following England's victory in the 1966 World Cup.  The people running these leagues were not very sophisticated in terms of understanding the politics of world football.  But their idea about the shootout was a winner.  Johann Cruyff gave it his endorsement and said that he wished that FIFA would adopt it worldwide.

(Of course, the NASL used the shootout to break ties in regular-season games.  We don't need that. The shootout should be used only in knockout competitions, where penalties are used.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right. They were ideas of the creators of the NASL.  FIFA tolerated these experiments, giving their provisional sanction after it dawned on the people running the NASL that they'd need FIFA approval. 

The NASL was the merger of two previous leagues that sprang up during surge in interest in soccer in the U.S. following England's victory in the 1966 World Cup.  The people running these leagues were not very sophisticated in terms of understanding the politics of world football.  But their idea about the shootout was a winner.  Johann Cruyff gave it his endorsement and said that he wished that FIFA would adopt it worldwide.

(Of course, the NASL used the shootout to break ties in regular-season games.  We don't need that. The shootout should be used only in knockout competitions, where penalties are used.)

Oh, ok. So it was ask forgiveness not permission? 

Yeah, I've been learning a lot more about the NASL lately thank to a podcast called "Good Seats Still Available" (credit to @Mac the Knife for suggesting it in the podcast thread). The idea of the early days and bringing in a team from overseas to play as the local team was an interesting idea.....but I'm getting off topic. 

I agree, regular season games don't need a tie break.

I'm partial to the idea of just adding an additional 30 min (switching to golden goal and giving each team an additional substitution) before going to the shootout...but I realize that isn't likely to happen. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Independent Croatia is younger than I am, and they're likely going to the World Cup final. Mostly just mentioning this to further illustrate just how badly America has failed at soccer. 

Archived