2018 FIFA World Cup

crashcarson15

2 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Australia played really well.

France needs to figure out they're at the World Cup, and start playing like it.

Australia was why they played USA before the Cup. Apparently some folks didn't take notes.

29 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Messi is going to have to drag this team kicking and screaming if they want to get anywhere. He has so much talent around him on paper - Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria, Banega, the list goes on and on. And yet he has to carry this team LeBron-style if they want to get anywhere. What a waste. 

I think his team needs to carry him. That PK was horrible and he just seemed to meander around until Argentina attacked. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, insert name said:

Did the FOX commentator say "Iceland beats Argentina 1-1"? 

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Yes. It was clever. I'm sorry you didn't understand the subtext.

It refers to a Harvard-Yale football game that ended tied. Harvard hadn't won in years and so the headline was "Harvard beats Yale 27-27".

52 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Is it me or is the announcer for the Peru-Denmark match is trying WAY too hard at being excited?

He normally calls Mexican Liga MX for Univision. That's normal for how those games get called on Latin American television. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Messi is going to have to drag this team kicking and screaming if they want to get anywhere. He has so much talent around him on paper - Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria, Banega, the list goes on and on. And yet he has to carry this team LeBron-style if they want to get anywhere. What a waste. 

I find it something of an opposite problem — Aguero, for example, could be doing more, but they don’t play together as a team. No one can figure out how to put all that talent together as a unit.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, willmorris said:

So on to Croatia v Nigeria, which, in my personal opinion, is the best dressed game of the tournament.

If only Nigeria had worn their light kit! They still looked good though.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, willmorris said:

So on to Croatia v Nigeria, which, in my personal opinion, is the best dressed game of the tournament.

If only this wasn’t probably the worst Croatia kit in a while…

Croatia’s in a great spot, given a comfortable win paired with an Argentina draw. Four points the rest of the way should lock up the top spot in the group and a path to the quarters that avoids France. It’ll be interesting the narrative around them, because they’re genuinely one of the most talented teams at this tournament — just glad we’ve got an actual manager in charge this year.

6fQjS3M.png

23 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

If only this wasn’t probably the worst Croatia kit in a while…

Croatia’s in a great spot, given a comfortable win paired with an Argentina draw. Four points the rest of the way should lock up the top spot in the group and a path to the quarters that avoids France. It’ll be interesting the narrative around them, because they’re genuinely one of the most talented teams at this tournament — just glad we’ve got an actual manager in charge this year.

I like Croatia. Very few teams have a midfield that can match theirs, plus they have plenty of experience to go around. Only need to keep Lovren in line and they can make a deep run. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

13 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Video reviews for judgment calls are the worst. For all the whining, it’s amazing to think that the NFL and college football have the best video review system.

The league with the best video review system is the Arena Football League. The audience sees exactly what the referee is looking at on the screen, and hears him asking the truck for various angles. The referee describes out loud his thought process in reaching a decision.

9 hours ago, insert name said:

Did the FOX commentator say "Iceland beats Argentina 1-1"? 

8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Yes. It was clever. I'm sorry you didn't understand the subtext.

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It refers to a Harvard-Yale football game that ended tied. Harvard hadn't won in years and so the headline was "Harvard beats Yale 27-27".

And also to the U.S.'s 1-1 draw with England in the 2010 World Cup, which some outlets described as a "win".

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

Who is he supposed to root for, or should he not watch at all?

If only there were 31 other teams for him to pick from. It's all part of a marketing deal, so who is to say if he's really rooting for the US's biggest soccer rival?

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

If only there were 31 other teams for him to pick from. It's all part of a marketing deal, so who is to say if he's really rooting for the US's biggest soccer rival?

I could get behind this idea until he called out Carlos Bocanegra and saying he shouldn't be against Mexico because he was raised in a primarily Mecican area. Would have been better to say, "It's just business", but he's still playing at Leon and doesn't want to get run out of town. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Landon Donovan is now guilty of treason. 

It is Wells Fargo, who has been :censored:ing over their customers for years.

Tacky?   Yes.

Will flyover/MAGA country remove their money on Monday? Some will.

So much for last month's ad campaign...

Matic starts a shoving match at the end of the Costa Rica-Serbia match. Should be interesting to see if fines are handed out. VAR used to give a yellow for Serbian player slapping at a player. It's the right call but only happens if VAR thinks it's a red card offense.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

31 minutes ago, lordsketor said:

And Mexico defeats the Die Mannschaft 1-0...

Ohhh boy, this is interesting! Hard not to root for them, as I live in Texas and don’t really appreciate soccer.

Excellent!

31 minutes ago, lordsketor said:

And Mexico defeats the Die Mannschaft 1-0...

Thought Osorio lost the plot pulling Vela, but Mexico held out. Looks like Germany vs Brazil in the Round of 16 unless Mexico goes full Italy 2010 on this. Very disappointing play by Germany, especially in the midfield. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived