2018 FIFA World Cup

crashcarson15

16 hours ago, Digby said:

Today was the first day I got really mad at the VAR; beyond interrupting the flow of the Iran-Portugal match, the evidence was too flimsy, for me, to give Iran that penalty near the end of the match. But that ref was generally a mess, so maybe it was all his fault.

I'm surprised neither of the Iberian teams really stepped up and made a statement game today. Surely the chance to play Russia and get an extra day of rest would have been good motivation? But maybe that's a lot to ask; Spain maybe is showing the effects of the coach drama, Portugal is always ultimately keeping its ahead above water thanks to Ronaldo, and Iran and Morocco weren't here to screw around. 

I felt like the penalty was the correct call. I'm not of the opinion that at the end of the game you just let them play through to the end. Spain was supremely lucky to not go out yesterday. They need to fix that backline. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mutually beneficial draws will be a huge problem in 2026 with 3-team groups. In 1/3 of possible scenarios, a final day result of a draw will work out for both teams.

A plays B in first match

B plays C in second match

A plays C in final match

Scenario: A defeats B, B draws with C

Mutually beneficial draw is available. A enter with 3 points in first place, while B and C are level with 1 point each. A draw would send A through in first place and C through in second.

Scenario: A draws with B, C defeats B

Same scenario as above, just with the teams flipped. B is punished for not playing on the final day.

Scenario: A draws with B, B draws with C

Mutually beneficial high-scoring draw is available. As all teams enter without a win, a draw would settle the group with A, B and C all on 2 points. A high-scoring draw would guarantee A and C go through on goals scored.

6fQjS3M.png

Round of 16 matches so far:

(1A) Uruguay v (2B) Portugal

(1C) France v (2D) Argentina

(1B) Spain v (2A) Russia

(1D) Croatia v (2C) Denmark

(1E) v (2F)

(1G) v (2H)

(1F) v (2E)

(1H) v (2G)

2 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Round of 16 matches so far:

(1A) Uruguay v (2B) Portugal

(1C) France v (2D) Argentina

(1B) Spain v (2A) Russia

(1D) Croatia v (2C) Denmark

(1E) v (2F)

(1G) v (2H)

(1F) v (2E)

(1H) v (2G)

I can still see Argentina getting to the semis even with their lackluster group play. 

18 minutes ago, Wings said:

I can still see Argentina getting to the semis even with their lackluster group play. 

Hmph... no. Especially with some of Sampaoli’s lineup decisions. Argentina have several exciting talented youngsters, guys like Pavón and Lo Celso but are continually starting guys like Perez and Meza. None of the teams in their way have looked very impressive, but Argentina look vulnerable at the back, outclassed in midfield and surprisingly ineffective up front. I would be surprised if they knock off France.  

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I was Super Eagles all the way. Too bad they couldn't hold on.

At least Messi won't be knifed in his sleep though. I can't imagine what would have happened had they lost or tied today.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Mutually beneficial draws will be a huge problem in 2026 with 3-team groups. In 1/3 of possible scenarios, a final day result of a draw will work out for both teams.

A plays B in first match

B plays C in second match

A plays C in final match

Scenario: A defeats B, B draws with C

Mutually beneficial draw is available. A enter with 3 points in first place, while B and C are level with 1 point each. A draw would send A through in first place and C through in second.

Scenario: A draws with B, C defeats B

Same scenario as above, just with the teams flipped. B is punished for not playing on the final day.

Scenario: A draws with B, B draws with C

Mutually beneficial high-scoring draw is available. As all teams enter without a win, a draw would settle the group with A, B and C all on 2 points. A high-scoring draw would guarantee A and C go through on goals scored.

and that’s why draws should be done away with at the World Cup. We the fans don’t want to see this so why force something on to the people your trying to get to watch? No draws means your trying to oh ya know WIN, is that not the whole point of this? Just asking for a friend....

The 48-team World Cup gives FIFA a great opportunity to avoid mutually beneficial draws by going with 12 four-team groups and only advancing 24 teams to the knockout stage -- the top 8 teams from the group stage getting byes.

It'd give teams like France yesterday something to play for, and it'd eliminate situations like Belgium/England, where each team should want to lose.

6fQjS3M.png

8 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Wow, if Mexico doesn't advance after such a huge group stage performance...

Anyways, let's go South Korea!

South Korea's defense and Germany's lack of finish is helping keep them alive. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, NoE38 said:

...and it looks like the reigning champs are gonna be eliminated in the group stage.

For the third straight World Cup (It happened to Italy in 2010 and Spain in 2014).

bYhYmxh.png

Archived