Does your significant other share your love of sports?

verno

Well, this September 6th, my wife and I will celebrate sixteen years of marital bliss. I, despite all my efforts, cannot get her to give two sh**s about sports in any fashion. She grew up in New Bedford, Massachusetts and mildly backs only two teams: the New York Yankees (l love their uniforms) and the New England Patriots (Tom Brady is pretty fricking hot!!) Zero tangible thought put into either decision, but I otherwise love her to death?

What makes things worse is that my mother's family is from Philadelphia, so this February was pretty brutal for my clueless wife. She was getting lotsa grief from my obnoxious Eagle-backing family without truly understanding what was going on. To be honest, it was mildly funny?

My S/O does not. My family + my moms side are all Packers fans. She doesn't really doesn't understand it, I remember we were watching a game at my parents house one year and me, my brother, and my parents were all up in arms on a call and she was kinda just like "what's happening?". I'm a Cubs fan and she kinda understood how excited I was when they won the World Series, but otherwise didn't get my passion for it. Same goes for my MNUFC alliance. She just doesn't really quite get it. 

16 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

My S/O does not. My family + my moms side are all Packers fans. She doesn't really doesn't understand it, I remember we were watching a game at my parents house one year and me, my brother, and my parents were all up in arms on a call and she was kinda just like "what's happening?". I'm a Cubs fan and she kinda understood how excited I was when they won the World Series, but otherwise didn't get my passion for it. Same goes for my MNUFC alliance. She just doesn't really quite get it. 

I feel your pain, brother? Since we moved to the Atlanta area in 2011, l have taken my wife to several Atlanta Gladiators' games to get her into hockey, doesn't click with her?!?! Mainly, l just end up with a designated driver!!!

My wife grew up loving Wisconsin Badger hockey.  Since we've been together (20 years) her interest in Wisconsin football, and college football in general, have increased.  So on Saturdays we make a point to watch the Badger game and if there's nothing going on, she'll be interested in watching other games involving ranked teams.

Other than that, she'd rarely like to see sports on our TV unless the Wisconsin basketball team is playing an NCAA tournament game...or maybe a Wisconsin NCAA tournament game (or the NCAA tournament in general if her pool is going well).  She likes going to games.  I've been to 30 MLB parks and am responsible for 26 of her 27.

She showed some interest in the NBA and NHL finals last week (which was unusual), but I don't think I could get her excited about, say, a second-round game 7 NHL OT game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've introduced my wife to hockey, we've been to 3 games since February '18. She seemed to enjoy it and is taking as much of an interest as expected (and enough to keep me happy). She already suggested to buy tickets for both Leaf games in Detroit for next year which is pretty cool for me and she already has a Leafs jersey with her new last name on it. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

My wife's on par or even more rabid than I am.  My father-in-law has been getting Dodger 25 game plans for years and made an arrangement that I get his weekend tickets as a thank you for fending for myself on weekday nights when my wife isn't around.  My wife even talked me into springing for a Kings mini-plan for this year.

We also both had the bucket list item of going to all the ballparks so every year we base our vacation around the MLB schedule.  We've hit 16 so far.  Would have been 17 if there wasn't a week of rain in DC when we were there last month.

VmWIn6B.png

My fiancee and I are both big Lightning fans, so that works.  She not as into pro football or baseball as I am, but will typically tag along if its on or we go to games.  She's more of a college football girl, so we have a nice Florida State-USF rivalry going on.

My wife is definitely at least on par with my love of sports and even appreciates the aesthetics of sports design!  She grew up a huge baseball and hockey fan, even finding ways to listen to or watch every Royals game in the Boston market before MLB.TV was a thing.  Whenever we travel we make sure to have some sporting event involved in our trip whenever possible, most recently going to see both the Cubs and White Sox while we were in Chicago last summer.

She's even a member of these boards, although she doesn't really visit anymore.

TDZiMMB.png

My wife is a huge baseball fan - it's actually how we first bonded, during a brief time where we were just friends, and not yet a couple. She's a Yankees fan, much like myself.

She couldn't care about any other sports, though, Finds football about as interesting as watching paint dry, can't really get into soccer despite trying, and hates watching hockey on TV (but enjoys it in-person). So it's baseball and nothing else for her.

I am happily divorced for more than 20 years, after a bad decision to get married.  During our relationship, which lasted about five years, I was lucky that my ex-wife had an interest in baseball (the only sport I really followed before my 1997 retirement).  She wasn't as into it as I was; but she was eager to learn, and she actually liked me to teach her stuff. 

I told her how my friends and I used to challenge each other by opening the Who's Who or the Baseball Encyclopedia (pre-internet days, kiddies) and listing a player's teams and years; and the other guy had to guess who it was.  Once she opened the Who's Who, and, before she had named a team or a year, she said "he has a cool beard".  Without missing a beat, and with an excessively confident tone, I replied, "Steve Bedrosian".  Actually I wasn't at all sure that it was going to be him; but I decided to take a chance.  And that chance paid off; it was indeed Bedrosian that she was looking at.  She was never more impressed at anything I said or did than she was at that moment.

One time she was going to a game with one of her friends, and she asked me to give her a little rundown of keys to the game, so that she'd know what to look for and so that she would have some sensible things to say during the game.  It was a Yankee game against Cleveland; and one of my first notes was "you gotta keep Lofton off the bases".  For some reason she found that funny, perhaps just how I phrased it, in announcer-cliche-speak. She said that she enjoyed delivering that line with bravado, and impressing her friend with her "expertise".  

Even now, decades later, when we talk (we're still friends — we should have stayed friends in the first place instead of becoming husband and wife!), if the topic of baseball comes up in any way, she will often say "Steve Bedrosian", or else, in a mock-serious tone, "you gotta keep Lofton off the bases".  So, even though we should never have gotten married, and even though our marriage was not a good one, we did have some nice moments that we can still laugh about.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

We've been married for 32 years.  She will tolerate hockey (live only) and soccer (I was a college player when we met), other than that, nope.  She likes the home improvement, dyi shows.  

We've never fought over my love of sports and her meh of it.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Nope. While my ex-wife very much got into my love of sports, my fiancee does not get any of it. She'll even watch me play any video game, except for sports ones. She does have some interest in soccer, with her being a first generation immigrant from England, but even then I think it's more in regard to her memories with her father than a genuine enjoyment.

My wife and I both like the Blazers and Timbers. She likes football more than I do. She loves the Raiders & Michigan Wolverines (she's originally from Michigan). I'll pay somewhat attention to what the Niners are doing but it's no big deal win or lose. I love the Giants. She doesn't like baseball that much. 

My wife and I met at a tailgate party before the Ravens-Bengals game in Cincinnati January 1, 2012. She's a bigger Bengals fan than me as I've grown restless with the team she's stayed optimistic. While planning our wedding she kept saying "wouldn't it be great if the Bengals played the Browns the day after?" I dismissed this as the chance of the NFL scheduling that opponent, that day, at home, the day after our downtown Cincinnati wedding that would have a lot of guests visiting from Cleveland was just too far-fetched to even think about. The schedule came out and it was the Browns, the day after our wedding. We honeymooned at Paul Brown Stadium (and then a couple months later flew to St Kitts). It was a great weekend. 

She loves the Reds and going to games for the social aspects. We were on the kisscam right after we started dating, but baseball isn't her favorite sport, especially since the team's been a :censored:pile since 2014. She doesn't get why I still watch Reds games or why I'll watch a game between two teams I don't care about or why I'll watch the same highlights show on MLB network twice in a row. 

Now, hockey is my favorite and she has no interest. She doesn't get why I have to watch all 82 regular season Columbus Blue Jackets games, but she has fun when we go to the games and went to Game 6 in Columbus with me to watch the Blue Jackets get eliminated by the Capitals. I'll drag her to a Cincinnati Cyclones game once or twice a year and she likes those, but has no desire to watch the sport on TV. She watched Game 5 of the final with me and rooted for the Caps so "hockey would be over for the summer". 

PvO6ZWJ.png

My girlfriend is more into sports than I am. She was into U of Arizona basketball and AZ Cardinals football when we started getting to know each other. I enjoy other sports, but really only follow hockey. Our first date was a hockey game, she wound up a Coyotes fan (much to my chagrin), and we have Roadrunners season tickets. She's pretty intense. So yeah, I created a hockey monster.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Not a rat's @ss. I actually kinda like it because it gives me an excuse to just relax by myself in the garage without being bothered. 

My wife does the majority of taking our kids to their sports games (baseball, hockey, soccer, etc.) for YEARS NOW because I work a lot, and she has no concept of periods, innnings, quarters or halves are. Or what constitutes a run in baseball, how many outs per inning, positions, etc. 

Ask her who won the last 16 seasons of the bachelor though, and she'll tell you their birthplace and blood type.

sig.png

No, she has no interest at sports at all.

No interest in playing or watching.

She's into Zumba and other fitness programs.

Closest thing to sports she's interested in watching is horse racing, jumping, etc.  She used to ride horses.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Yup. She was super into basketball (2 time state champ), soccer (70 goals in her 3 seasons), and football before we met. She also did track, cross country and wrestling. I got her into hockey, rugby, and softball. The only problem is she's a dodgers fan and I'm a Giants fan.

Archived