Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1957 Kellogg Cup Final

5 hours ago, TargetToad said:

I say keep the tags. Also, how old is Sam Baker? I'm surprised he's not in the nhl with how good he is.

Sam Baker is 26 years old, he is approaching his prime as a goaltender. He is dominant at this level, but the reason that he hasn't been seriously looked at by NHL teams is that they aren't sure if he would be able to compete at the highest level in the world. There are a couple of minor league teams that have been beginning to look at him in the last couple years though.

1955 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Semi Finals

GeqrmlS.png

St. Cloud Bear Cats v. Grand Rapids Moose

In a rematch of a semi final match up from 2 years ago, the Moose and Bear Cats faced off to decide who would advance to the finals. Just like last time, St. Cloud's dynamic offense was just too dominant to be stopped. The Cats offense, led by Kurt Schmidt, scored an unprecedented 15 goals in 4 games against arguably the best goalie in league history. Baker was left out to dry by his defense who allowed point blank shots and odd man rushes one after the other. He did his best, but when you are out shot 156 to 97, odds are you aren't going to come out on top.

St. Paul Victorias v. Fort Frances Trappers

The Victorias and Trappers battled hard in this back and forth series, but St. Paul came out on top. Games one through four went to the home team, causing a "best 2 out of 3" scenario. Game five was at the St. Paul Auditorium where the Victorias were victorious in front of a packed house of 7,120. The series then headed north to Fort Frances, where the V's carried momentum and won the series thanks to the help of Cody Klaus's 2 goals.

Will the Bear Cats finally break the finals curse and win that illusive first cup? Or will the Victorias finally end their years of playoff mediocrity and win their first cup in 39 years?

St. Cloud is getting on my nerves... between this and the nuggets losing in the finals I’m having fictional leagues really dampen my mood. Oh well, many years to come for the moose to succeed.

I have been a lurker on this for quite a while and would like to say that this a great concept. Go Greyhounds!

Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Finals

JHFDwL9.png

Game 1:

The Victorias shocked the Bear Cats by upsetting them on home ice, and to make matters worse, they held the Cats off of the scoreboard all together shutting them out. Niskanen made 33 saves for the shutout and Klaus put up a goal and an assist.

Game 2:

St. Cloud appeared to be out for blood in game two, coming out fast with 3 goals in the first period. The V's answered back in the second with two of their own, but the Cats ended things in the third getting one more to go up 2, and not giving anything up from then on.

Game 3: 

Back in the Auditorium, the Victorias fell down one goal midway through the first, but answered right back, the period ended tied at one apiece. The second period was scoreless, leading to the third period where St. Paul's Cody Klaus took matters into his own hands, scoring twice to give the V's the win.

Game 4: 

Riding the momentum from their late win last game, the Victorias built a 2 goal lead early in the first. The score remained 2-0 until the Bear Cats finally scored with 5 minutes left in the third period, Schmidt from Sauer to give St. Cloud some hope of a comeback. The Cats peppered Niskanen for the remainder of the game, but the St. Paul goaltender stood tall, keeping the lead and winning the game.

Game 5: 

Only one win away from the Cup, one would think the V's would come out hungry to finally end the 39 year cupless streak, but they instead seemed to be a step behind the Bear Cats. St. Cloud walked all over them, winning 4-0, Schmidt with 2 goals and an assist on the night, to keep their cup hopes alive.

Game 6: 

The Bear Cats continued to dominate the Victorias in the first period of game 6, ending the period up 2-0. The Victorias must have made some changes in between periods, because they came out for the second period looking like a completely different team. St. Paul scored just 1:37 into the period, and another less than 3 minutes later. The Period ended tied up with all the momentum with the Victorias. The third period was fast paced, back and forth, hockey with both teams exchanging scoring chances. The Victorias were just on the luckier side of things when Klaus buried a 3 on 1 chance to give his team the lead. Niskanen stayed big in net, fending off the Bear Cats chances, then the final horn went off. The St. Paul Auditorium erupted as their Victorias had finally won their second Kellogg Cup, their first since the first year of the MAHL!

Tschida Trophy Winner

Name: Kurt Schmidt

Team: St. Cloud Bear Cats

Position: Center

Stats: 38 Goals, 26 Assists, 64 Points

Rational: Leading his team to yet another Kellogg Cup Final appearance, Schmidt put up some incredible stats including 38 goals which is second all time for a season. This is Schmidt's second Tschida Trophy, making him the first person to win the award multiple times.

Good job, Victorias! Also, how many Tschida Trophies have been won by players who didn't win the Kellogg Cup? lol

For when this series reaches the present day, where on the hockey pyramid would the MAHL be?

16 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

For when this series reaches the present day, where on the hockey pyramid would the MAHL be?

My guess? Tier 4, with the Quebec League and Junior league. Maybe tier #3 with the ECHL if the "M" changes from "Minnesota" to "Midwest".

I wouldn't think it'd be on any tier since this is an adult amateur league, not a professional league. It's a completely separate entity. I'd guess the best way to describe this whole league that's it's a semi-pro independent league. 

1 hour ago, TheYellowWolfMC said:

Good job, Victorias! Also, how many Tschida Trophies have been won by players who didn't win the Kellogg Cup? lol

So far the only Tschida Trophy winner to have won the Kellogg Cup in the same season was Sam Baker in 1953 with the Moose.

1 hour ago, NoE38 said:

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

My guess? Tier 4, with the Quebec League and Junior league. Maybe tier #3 with the ECHL if the "M" changes from "Minnesota" to "Midwest".

It would be essentially what @RoughRiders99 said, a semi-pro independent league. Since the players are all amateurs it wouldn't be considered a minor league like the ECHL. I would imagine it will end up being the highest level of amateur hockey, similar in skill to juniors or college, but not a professional level. I think it might develop into more of a developmental league where players play to impress professional teams like Palazzari did with the Reds and Baker is considering doing with the Moose.

57 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Would this league possibly be an alternative to the USHL or NAHL to keep college eligibility?

I suppose it could be used like that yes, if someone wants to stay at home and get a few more years under their belt at a competitive level

Way to go Victorias!  First Kellogg Cup since THE first Kellogg Cup, and you beat one of the most despised teams in the league to do it!

Bring on the offseason...ready to see how the Granite League's gonna expand (Brainerd and St. Cloud 2 I hope), also ready to see which other new markets may join the MAHL family (I'm hopin' for Mankato and/or Moorhead)

The 1955/56 Off season was a busy one, here are some of the highlights.

• The Granite Hockey League frantically looked around for at least two more teams to join so they would remain eligible for the playoffs, they managed to convince two new cities to join. One other team will also be joining the Twin Cities Hockey League
  • Marco Palazzari, the former Eveleth Red won the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings just after the MAHL season concluded.
  • Multiple teams made adjustments to their uniforms
  • The Eveleth Reds officially changed their name to the Eveleth Redbirds amidst comparisons to communism.
  • Perhaps the biggest news of the off season was when Grand Rapids Moose star Sam Baker signed a professional contract with the Cleveland Barons of the American Hockey League.

Here are the new uniforms that will begin use this season that are essentially the same as last year, just with minor changes.

Cloquet left their jerseys unchanged, the only adjustment they made was adding a stripe to their breezers.

k9TDREH.png

Fergus Falls left their jerseys untouched, just adding stripes to their iconic orange socks.

S1jrAs2.png

St. Cloud simply added a silver stripe to their breezers.

2HLybz0.png

I will be posting the more major changes in the next post, then expansion teams.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Here are the more drastic changes made by existing teams this off season.

As mentioned earlier, the Eveleth Reds have officially re branded to become the Eveleth Redbirds. The name change comes with a new logo which is just the old one with "Redbirds" instead of "Reds". The biggest change though was the addition of a light jersey for the first time in team history. The Redbirds are now the last team to have only used one jersey. Their new away jersey is essentially a color swapped version of their classic home uniform with red shoulders.

MmeofBh.png

The Virginia Royals completely redesigned their uniforms. Their home jersey remains the same only the numbers are now yellow with blue and white outlines rather than solid white and the breezers now have stripes to match the jersey. The major changes come on the away jersey. The Royals replaced their yellow duds for a new white uniform with the same striping. The striping remains yellow heavy with a thin blue stripe in between, the shoulders and cuffs are blue.

JXMVtIe.png

Time for the expansion teams! First up are the two clubs who will be joining the Granite Hockey League.

Brainerd is one of the larger cities in the state, and is one of the hubs of the central region of the state. With a population of over 12,000, the Lumberjacks will come into the league as contenders in the Granite League.

The nickname "Lumberjacks" was picked due to the city's lumbering history, as well as being one of the homes of Paul Bunyan, including an amusement park called "Paul Bunyan Land". Their logo is a vertical ax, while the jerseys feature a unique script Lumberjacks, the ax logo can be seen on the shoulders of the jerseys. The team colors are red, black, and white.

qGPoXew.png

Sauk Rapids is a relatively small city for the Granite League with a population under 4,000. A suburb of St. Cloud, residents of Sauk Rapids wanted to form a team so they could represent their city rather than St. Cloud.

The nickname "Tornados" was chosen after the tornado of 1886 which destroyed the city. When the team announced their name, Fergus Falls appealed to the Granite League to force them to change their name as they felt it was too similar to their "Cyclones", the League voted in favor of Sauk Rapids, allowing them to keep the name. Their logo is a purple tornado and it can be found on the upper chest of their uniforms, the jerseys feature the city name arched with player numbers in between on the front of the jerseys. The team colors are purple and white.

ZngGcY7.png

The final expansion team is from the Twin Cities Hockey League. Hockey is back in Stillwater! 19 years after the Athletics folded, the city of Stillwater has decided to give it another go. With a population close to 8,000 Stillwater should have enough talent within its borders to compete this time around.

The nickname "Volunteers" was picked to honor the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry which had many citizens of Stillwater sign up to fight in the Civil War. The Vols logo is a shamrock, based on the pins used by the soldiers. The shamrock is found on the chest of the jerseys, like where the real pin was on the soldiers uniforms. "Volunteers" is spelled out diagonally across the front of the jerseys. The striping and colors were picked as an ode to the old Athletics uniforms. The team colors are blue, gold, and white.

BxOA5tC.png

Also, I added a logo and jersey database on the OP which has a link that will take you to a page that has every teams entire logo and uniform history!

How soon before Edina gains an expansion team? And how soon before they begin to dominate the Kellogg Cup?

1 hour ago, buzzcut said:

How soon before Edina gains an expansion team? And how soon before they begin to dominate the Kellogg Cup?

I have Edina coming in in the early 60s, and it probably wont take long before they become a power...