CCSLC Board Technical Issues

On 4/27/2024 at 7:36 PM, BBTV said:

Search feature.  It's never been good, and it never will be.  You do a search, and it returns x pages of results.  If you don't get what you want on the fist page, and click another page, you get "you must wait # seconds before running another search."  FFS - why do the search results show you that there's multiple pages, if you can't actually view them in less than a week?  I'm not b-tching at the mods - I know it's just the forum software - but it's gear grinding, and dissuades anyone from using the search "feature".

also shows the same thread 74 times...

After a few weeks without many incidents, the forums are back to their constant "400 Bad Request" state 😬

Every so often, the forums give me a slight open window to browse and post stuff before randomly shutting down to an error state. I love all the content that's posted on here, but it's so frustrating just how unusable these forums are with all the ads and constant error messages.

On 4/27/2024 at 9:09 AM, BBTV said:

This morning, when accessing the site, I was redirected to:

https://boards.sportslogos.net/admin/install/

with just a blank screen.  Closing all Chrome windows, going into 3rd-party settings and deleting stored data from CCSLC appears to have fixed it.  Just posting the solution in case anyone else is running into same issue this morning (and finding another way to access the site, like through an incognito window or other browser.)

it’s doing this again. Multiple devices / browsers, even after deleting all saved site data and cache. Back up now, but was inaccessible for around 30 mins 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I’m typing this on incognito mode.

The site went blank again and now shows an “installation error” message. 

I hate seeing this site become gradually unusable.

• Like 1

The board software/hosting people responded that they were indeed having problems these last few weeks; they were aware of it, and (they say) they have been resolved. They caution that users may still experience these issues due to caching, but I just went ahead and cleared all the caching on the CCSLC side of things, so hopefully, that part is resolved. 

I noticed there were a few issues with ads being brought up; I'm constantly trying to reduce the number of ads you see on the site (believe it or not), but sometimes we're just forced into adding them in. There's been a global decrease in online ad revenue over the past nine months, which keeps getting worse, but I've still resisted some of the more in-demand ad spots (popovers, interstitials, large audio on video players, etc.) simply because I don't want this community to be completely overrun with them. Having said all that, if there is a particular set of ads which are a bigger headache than others, I can look into making a change there, but I can't make any promises that it's something we can afford to get rid of.  I also remind you that there is an ad-free experience offered if you want to help out and experience the joy of ad-free boards. I'm also looking into offering complimentary month-to-month ad-free memberships for those who purchase $X amount of sports merchandise per month using our affiliate links (for example, if you spent $100 US in a month using our affiliate link, I'd give you a month of ad-free browsing, just spitballing), but not sure how to best implement such a system -- it would have to be run manually.

If you have any questions about this, please ask, I don't bite.

• Like 2

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• 1 month later...

It seems like, once you have a signature, it isn't possible to not have one? I keep trying to leave it blank, and it reverts back to what I'm trying to delete. Is there an option to delete your signature I'm not seeing? I just see the option that hides everyone else's signatures on your end.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

On 5/15/2024 at 12:59 PM, CC97 said:

The board software/hosting people responded that they were indeed having problems these last few weeks; they were aware of it, and (they say) they have been resolved. They caution that users may still experience these issues due to caching, but I just went ahead and cleared all the caching on the CCSLC side of things, so hopefully, that part is resolved. 

I noticed there were a few issues with ads being brought up; I'm constantly trying to reduce the number of ads you see on the site (believe it or not), but sometimes we're just forced into adding them in. There's been a global decrease in online ad revenue over the past nine months, which keeps getting worse, but I've still resisted some of the more in-demand ad spots (popovers, interstitials, large audio on video players, etc.) simply because I don't want this community to be completely overrun with them. Having said all that, if there is a particular set of ads which are a bigger headache than others, I can look into making a change there, but I can't make any promises that it's something we can afford to get rid of.  I also remind you that there is an ad-free experience offered if you want to help out and experience the joy of ad-free boards. I'm also looking into offering complimentary month-to-month ad-free memberships for those who purchase $X amount of sports merchandise per month using our affiliate links (for example, if you spent $100 US in a month using our affiliate link, I'd give you a month of ad-free browsing, just spitballing), but not sure how to best implement such a system -- it would have to be run manually.

The ads just bounce all the posts and links up and down sporadically and I've learned that it's best to wait three or four minutes so the ads can do whatever they do, which is frustrating.

And for whatever reason, the ads force a refresh of the page, especially right as I'm typing, and the refresh loses everything I just typed. This is incredibly common on mobile Safari and Chrome. 

I had to switch to my laptop to post this because I tried to post on mobile and the page refreshed three times.  It's an incredibly frustrating experience. 

The post that said this site is often unusable- especially on mobile - is pretty accurate. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The ads just bounce all the posts and links up and down sporadically and I've learned that it's best to wait three or four minutes so the ads can do whatever they do, which is frustrating.

And for whatever reason, the ads force a refresh of the page, especially right as I'm typing, and the refresh loses everything I just typed. This is incredibly common on mobile Safari and Chrome. 

I had to switch to my laptop to post this because I tried to post on mobile and the page refreshed three times.  It's an incredibly frustrating experience. 

The post that said this site is often unusable- especially on mobile - is pretty accurate. 

I generally don’t have issues quite this bad, but the force-reloading while I’m trying to type…that struggle is real, although in my case my progress is saved more often than not. I don’t really understand it. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 1:18 PM, WSU151 said:

Let's face it - these ads are like a  paywall, and it's worth it to me to "subscribe".  I'd encourage everyone to think about how much time they spend here and what they get out of it, and decide if it's worth the $7.  For me it was a no-brainer.   I know not everyone can add another monthly subscription, or gets the same value from here that I do, so it's obviously a very personal decision.

The scenario you brought up is what put me over the top to get the ad-free version.  You'd go to click "reply", and an add would jump right in front of the button and next thing you know you're reading about an Acura or Chevy Tahoe or boat-cleaning formula.  You're right about having to wait at least a minute or two for the popcorn to stop popping so you're not clicking on them.  Ironically, I'd expect that while those clicks help the site, they  also hurt it since they probably drive people away.  I would assume the data shows otherwise, otherwise they wouldn't be there like that.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2024 at 9:59 AM, CC97 said:

could you please add an option while searching to have a thread only pop up once?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2024 at 11:21 PM, udubfan19 said:

could you please add an option while searching to have a thread only pop up once?

I don’t think that would be on Chris’s end - that’s a software thing. 

• 1 month later...

For about a month, I have been getting redirected to external websites randomly while I'm just looking through one of the threads here. My antivirus, McAfee, gives me the notification that the potential website might be "malicious" and the only thing I can do is either press the Home button at the top of the browser or just go back and click on the previously visited thread again (which has no issue following).

Is this on my end or does it have something to do with the website itself?

5 hours ago, Dynasty said:

For about a month, I have been getting redirected to external websites randomly while I'm just looking through one of the threads here. My antivirus, McAfee, gives me the notification that the potential website might be "malicious" and the only thing I can do is either press the Home button at the top of the browser or just go back and click on the previously visited thread again (which has no issue following).

Is this on my end or does it have something to do with the website itself?

are you on ad-free version or regular version?  I experienced that a few times before going on the ad-free plan (only even going back didn't always fix it.)  W

21 hours ago, BBTV said:

are you on ad-free version or regular version?  I experienced that a few times before going on the ad-free plan (only even going back didn't always fix it.)  W

Just the regular, though if it's ad-related then it might push me to finally do the other version. It's weird though because I've never been redirected before on other websites, or at least in recent memory.

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

Just the regular, though if it's ad-related then it might push me to finally do the other version. It's weird though because I've never been redirected before on other websites, or at least in recent memory.

There are a lot of ad-related things that happen on this website that don't happen on any website in any country on any planet in any solar system in any galaxy in any universe .

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Been getting more and more database errors over the past couple of weeks.  Today received the following.  Can't quantify the number of these or total down time.  It's not much.  I think the most down time has been around 10 mins.  But enough that it's worth pointing out.

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.
Too many connections
You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.
  • Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.