LMU

CCSLC Board Technical Issues

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, BBTV said:

 

Same.  I just ordered enough Sea Foam engine treatment to keep my new Acura running through the next 50 pandemics.  By then, the Medicare supplemental insurance I purchased will be kicking in.  Guess the ads work!  

 

Seriously though - those are on mobile.  My Ad Block that I had to use on this site on desktop is saying it's blocked 165 ads on this exact page while I've been typing this.  In contrast, a "black-Friday deals" site that I have open has had 17 blocked, and it pretty much exists for ads.

 

The combo of the ads and the sign-in bug really beg the question as to whether the ad-service or software are really the best choices for the site.

 

Sea Foam is awesome.  I'd put it right there with Totino's on my lists of stuff I'd buy without question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida Blue's always the one that takes over the borders of the screen for me. Seriously, what person either doesn't have insurance or does with a different company, has an ad take over their screen for a few seconds, and then says "yeah, I should get/switch to Florida Blue?" If you're going to make me wait before I can get rid of your stupid ad, at least be a product that I might want to buy. Google's already sold all of my information to a billion different companies, so it can't be that hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The search function is pretty broken right now. Search results now only go back a day or two. Will they be re-indexed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone who has liked my posts. I will see your likes when these ads clear in a couple of days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah these ads are getting pretty intrusive. The top and bottom banners are bad enough but now I’ve got a Toyota Tacoma ad that pops up about every 5 seconds and expands to take up the entire perimeter of the page... Doesn’t matter where I am in the forum. I’m using Chrome for iPhone if that helps at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gobbi said:

Yeah these ads are getting pretty intrusive. The top and bottom banners are bad enough but now I’ve got a Toyota Tacoma ad that pops up about every 5 seconds and expands to take up the entire perimeter of the page... Doesn’t matter where I am in the forum. I’m using Chrome for iPhone if that helps at all. 


The banner ad started showing up for me this week too and it’s ridiculous how much of the web page is taken up by ads now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are tweets not able to show up for anyone else when they post a new tweet?  Instead it shows a link to that tweet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a reminder that any ad intrusion can be reported to the link in this thread:

 

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/118476-spam-ad-report-link/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not possible to report the ads that swallow the screen for 10 seconds and then eventually let you in, and reporting them on mobile isn't really practical.  I'm not going to go to the actual advertisers URL (then they win!)  We understand that nobody with any ability to help actually cares about the user experience anymore, and that it's not anything within the moderators jurisdiction - but that link is basically "not our problem - if you want to report it, here's a PiTA form to fill out."  If there's not a lot of ads reported via that form, it's not because they don't exist, it's more that it's a PiTA and takes less time to deal with the nonsense than to report it.

 

Also, I'm not sure how many are actually talking about actual redirects.  I haven't personally seen those - just border ads that take over the entire screen for a few seconds, then top/bottom ads that start out at 1/3 of screen size before reducing (and when you click the little x, there's actually another smaller ad underneath them that you have to click out of again.)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These border adds are ridiculous. This Visa one keeps refreshing and surrounding the screen every ten seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 11:37 AM, SFGiants58 said:

The search function is pretty broken right now. Search results now only go back a day or two. Will they be re-indexed?

For me, searches stop at the end of November.  I go to my account and "Content I Started" and I only see a few posts.  I search topics for "basketball" and results also stop end of November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

For me, searches stop at the end of November.  I go to my account and "Content I Started" and I only see a few posts.  I search topics for "basketball" and results also stop end of November.


The search function has always kinda been lacking. I’d go to type in a given topic, but far less relevant results always seem to pop up first; I wouldn’t get to what I was looking for until at least the second or third pages.

 

Anyways, can we cut down on the border ads in the mobile version? I. Get. One. Every. Single. Time. I. Change. A. Page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else been getting porn-ish ads at the bottom of the screen -- or does this place just hate me? (don't answer that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Anyone else been getting porn-ish ads at the bottom of the screen -- or does this place just hate me? (don't answer that)


1. Do you use a VPN? If not, you should.

2. Do you clear your search history?

3. Did you clear the cache on your browser? 

I’d also recommend that Chris implement a Patreon for this site, to provide an ad-free experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:


1. Do you use a VPN? If not, you should.

2. Do you clear your search history?

3. Did you clear the cache on your browser? 

I’d also recommend that Chris implement a Patreon for this site, to provide an ad-free experience.

 

So what you're really asking is if I frequent Pornhub -- If that's the case, I'm also on A LOT of real estate websites

 

🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Sherwin Williams ad in a black bar at the bottom of desktop typing a few paragraph long post (oh hey its back and did the same thing), but it would pop up and refresh every 15 seconds. When it fully loads, it removes the cursor from the text box, so I have to reclick the text box to type. Super frustrating to have to do that about 10 times during a single post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for posts to followed threads or for likes.

 

I hope this isn't some new policy. YouTube recently discontinued e-mail notifications of new videos from subscribed channels, and I hate it.

 

If this is a glitch, can it be remedied?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been getting 502 and 503 errors off and on since this morning.  Site is sporadically returning 'service unavailable' for minutes at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 3:40 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for posts to followed threads or for likes.

 

I hope this isn't some new policy. YouTube recently discontinued e-mail notifications of new videos from subscribed channels, and I hate it.

 

If this is a glitch, can it be remedied?

 

I am responding to my own post to note that, after about a four-day absence, the e-mail notifications have resumed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites