graydon

Colleges In Need For A Logo Rebrand

Recommended Posts

I have been thinking that some colleges are really excelling with old school logos, but with the new school approach, what schools need a logo change up? The first one that comes to mind for me is Ball State

1200px-Ball_State_Cardinals_logo.svg.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also say that the Charlotte 49'ers also is a little bit puzzling. Never really understood it unless there is a deeper meaning behind it.

BV_XkpDk_400x400.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think a lot of Division 2 schools could use a new logo. Two immediately come to mind though.

 

First Bowie State out of Maryland. That's one of the many generic bulldog logos out there. BSU just put a script B on the collar.

full-color-2.png

 

Secondly, Pittsburg State in Kansas. Seems like there's a lot of potential in a gorilla logo. There's could be better.

Pittsburg-State-University.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, graydon said:

I have been thinking that some colleges are really excelling with old school logos, but with the new school approach, what schools need a logo change up? The first one that comes to mind for me is Ball State

1200px-Ball_State_Cardinals_logo.svg.png

Ball State has the only cardinal which I instantly recognize.  Keep it.

21 minutes ago, graydon said:

I would also say that the Charlotte 49'ers also is a little bit puzzling. Never really understood it unless there is a deeper meaning behind it.

BV_XkpDk_400x400.jpg

1949 was basically the year which the school avoided being closed by the state of North Carolina.

1-

8 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Think a lot of Division 2 schools could use a new logo. Two immediately come to mind though.

 

First Bowie State out of Maryland. That's one of the many generic bulldog logos out there. BSU just put a script B on the collar.

full-color-2.png

 

Secondly, Pittsburg State in Kansas. Seems like there's a lot of potential in a gorilla logo. There's could be better.

Pittsburg-State-University.jpg

1- You can only do so much with a bulldog drawing and MGM's "Tom and Jerry" cartoons basically set the template.

2- Hard to do more with a gorilla as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

2- Hard to do more with a gorilla as well.

 

Really?

 

Seems to me, a gorilla has a ton of different ways you could go with it;

gorillas_zps9bp5a92m.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

Really?

 

Seems to me, a gorilla has a ton of different ways you could go with it;

gorillas_zps9bp5a92m.png

 

I know a company in Japan that did something kinda cool using a gorilla

 

zxppi0f2za3jgqrnsciy.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I know a company in Japan that did something kinda cool using a gorilla

 

zxppi0f2za3jgqrnsciy.jpg

 

As per usual on these boards, the vintage look triumphs over modernism.

Image result for original donkey kong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My alma mater, Fordham University, desperately needs a rebrand. They rolled out this logo back when I was there, in 2008 or so, and we all lampooned it as the "fat ram" at the time.

 

10353500-fordham-university-rams-logo.jp

 

1200px-Fordham_Rams_logo.svg.png

Way, way too many outlines on that wordmark and on the "F." What a mess. I hated it at the time, and it hasn't aged any better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2016.png

Will always look like an upside-down V.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not even their worst.

 

MSwkW0G.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charleston Southern comes to mind for me..  that is such a simple and boring look there. Same for Canisius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6474661.jpeg?1411695240

 

This needed to be replaced the second it was revealed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Olmec said:

6474661.jpeg?1411695240

 

This needed to be replaced the second it was revealed. 

I couldn't agree more! They should go school-wide with their gorgeous basketball wordmark:

shamorie_main.jpg

 

As for an "ST. J" logo, I've always liked the one on their old baseball caps, even though it's similar to the St. Louis Cards:

FViola.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How THIS monstrosity has lasted at least 17 years so far is beyond me...

oi5inigc39oafmcd7f3fb7bhf.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this and immediately thought of UW Mil.

UWM_Panthers.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to have to go with my alma mater, Indiana U. because all they have is the monogram.   Sure, there is the striped pants thing, and they have a script "Indiana", but with no mascot and only a flat, 1-color monogram, they need to do more.  Even adding beveling would be an improvement.  I still argue that they need to modernize the Buffalo mascot they used briefly in the past, or develop a new one.  This is not enough.  Even Penn State, known for minimalist design in uniforms, has more of a logo package than IU. 

 

resources-trident.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Another bad Division 2 logo

 

thumbnail_default.jpg?max_width=600&max_

 

They're not the only D2 school in central North Carolina that needs an update.

 

maxresdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.