Indiana_Pacers_logo_presentation.png

Indiana_Pacers_primary_logo_detail.png

Indiana_Pacers_secondary_logo_detail.png

Indiana_Pacers_alternate_logo_A_detail.p

Indiana_Pacers_alternate_logo_B_detail.p

Indiana_Pacers_alternate_logo_C_detail.p

Indiana_Pacers_wordmark_logos_detail.png

NBA_teams.png

A complete set of uniforms, plus court designs, will follow in July.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Nit-picking on what I otherwise consider a fantastic job. The checkerboard P is a little too busy. Maybe if you doubled the size of the checkers, it would be less so?

XcryMwi.png

WOW! You did an amazing job! This is already great as is, so my suggestions are just tiny quibbles.

The winged basketball idea totally matches the racing feeling you're going for. My worry is that with the many colors/patterns, it will look awkward at small scales, especially with the pinwheel arrangement.

23 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Indiana_Pacers_primary_logo_detail.png

The only idea I have is to make the bottom half of the basketball silver (maybe it would look like a road?), the top half yellow, and put the checkered flag as a thicker, horizontal line separating the two halves (that would look like a finish line?).

Perhaps it would be good to keep the basketball as the hole in the P, to maintain some connection to the previous logo.

That Indiana state outline logo is perfection, and I love use of the checkered flags in the Hoosier State logo.

Altogether, this is a massive update to the Pacers' look. Keep up the outstanding work!

Edit:

To clarify after @SplashBoogie's response, I really love the checkered flag pattern for the Pacers. I just hope there is some way to keep it while making it more visible at smaller sizes. I definitely hope you'll use it on the jerseys!

Couple of things:
1) I would make the checkboard pattern either bigger or get rid of it all together. It's a little busy and I don't think it looks as well when shrunk as seen in vtgco's post
2) The new P motion lines make it look like it's retreating. Forward motion is to the right.
3) The Hoosier State Roundel and Indiana alternate are the strongest pieces in this redesign. I'm attached to Indy's Ball in P logo (phrasing) but I would buy shirts with those two logos on it quick fast and in a hurry.

And last just a personal nitpick but do the Pacers really need silver as part of their scheme?

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

On 6/21/2018 at 11:16 PM, vtgco said:

WOW! You did an amazing job! This is already great as is, so my suggestions are just tiny quibbles.

The winged basketball idea totally matches the racing feeling you're going for. My worry is that with the many colors/patterns, it will look awkward at small scales, especially with the pinwheel arrangement.

The only idea I have is to make the bottom half of the basketball silver (maybe it would look like a road?), the top half yellow, and put the checkered flag as a thicker, horizontal line separating the two halves (that would look like a finish line?).

Perhaps it would be good to keep the basketball as the hole in the P, to maintain some connection to the previous logo.

That Indiana state outline logo is perfection, and I love use of the checkered flags in the Hoosier State logo.

Altogether, this is a massive update to the Pacers' look. Keep up the outstanding work!

Edit:

To clarify after @SplashBoogie's response, I really love the checkered flag pattern for the Pacers. I just hope there is some way to keep it while making it more visible at smaller sizes. I definitely hope you'll use it on the jerseys!

Thanks a lot, vtgco.

I understand what you mean when you're talking about logos like this one being used at smaller sizes. But my reply to that is: so what? ?

Logos aren't primarily designed to look good or great at small or tiny sizes. They're primarily designed to look good at bigger sizes, namely on courts or fields, on uniforms, clothes, merchandise, during animated graphics on television, in printed publications like sports magazines or books, etc. The most important technical requirement on a logo is its easy reproducibility at smaller sizes, but not really if a logo still looks good or great when it's for instance printed or displayed on a device in a microscopic size, as it was depicted in your post.

I chose this size of the squares in that checkered pattern for one reason: it's eventually the cleanest look, since most squares, white and black, inside that quarter oval are completely visible, instead of being covered by the navy seam lines, to eventually end up with too many tiny spots of white or black left, which would clutter up the overall look.

A basketball inside the "P" wouldn't look good, since the letter is a square blockletter with a checkered pattern, but the ball is round. To me, that'd be a no-go. It doesn't harmonize.

On 6/22/2018 at 1:01 AM, SplashBoogie said:

Couple of things:
1) I would make the checkboard pattern either bigger or get rid of it all together. It's a little busy and I don't think it looks as well when shrunk as seen in vtgco's post
2) The new P motion lines make it look like it's retreating. Forward motion is to the right.
3) The Hoosier State Roundel and Indiana alternate are the strongest pieces in this redesign. I'm attached to Indy's Ball in P logo (phrasing) but I would buy shirts with those two logos on it quick fast and in a hurry.

And last just a personal nitpick but do the Pacers really need silver as part of their scheme?

Thanks a lot, SplashBoogie.

1) I tried to explain to @vtgco why the checkered flag pattern looks like that.

2) Nope – not in my case. Motion lines are ALWAYS behind the object, means that motion lines also somehow represent the past if you will. A drawn flying plane has its motion lines always behind the wings, behind the tail section. My Pacers-P initial logo moves from right to left, with motion lines behind it, to its right. The Lakers primary logo for example has its motion lines to the letter's left, since the "LAKERS" wordmark moves from left to right in front of a stagnant basketball.

About the color silver: I chose to not drop it, since I also as a consequence had to drop the whole ABA basketball idea (three colors – white, blue, red). Since the checkered parts also include white, I had to stick to silver in order to eventually have three colors – gold, checkered, silver. Why not navy? It just doesn't look good at all to use navy for that basketball. Plus, it's somehow apposite to the Indy/motorsports theme, since silver is comparable to chrome.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

Please tell me we'll be seeing uniforms!

Thanks, NicDB. As stated above, there will be uniforms sometime next month.

Overall this is a great set. I like how the version with the state of Indiana actually looks like the borders of Indiana (unlike the Pacers actual alt logo which overly simplified the state outline and doesn't look like anything).

I would have to agree with the comment(s) above that said the squares making up the checkered pattern are overly detailed and could be enlarged, and still get the point across. To me it's not necessarily an issue of looking good shrunk down, it's that nowhere else in the logo is there that much detail, so it appears out of place. The checkers in the "Hoosier State Basketball" version are larger and that version looks perfect IMO.

The whole set is good but I particularly like the Torch and Indy Proud logos.

On 6/23/2018 at 5:59 PM, jaha32 said:

Overall this is a great set. I like how the version with the state of Indiana actually looks like the borders of Indiana (unlike the Pacers actual alt logo which overly simplified the state outline and doesn't look like anything).

I would have to agree with the comment(s) above that said the squares making up the checkered pattern are overly detailed and could be enlarged, and still get the point across. To me it's not necessarily an issue of looking good shrunk down, it's that nowhere else in the logo is there that much detail, so it appears out of place. The checkers in the "Hoosier State Basketball" version are larger and that version looks perfect IMO.

The whole set is good but I particularly like the Torch and Indy Proud logos.

Thanks a lot, Greg.

I've now enlarged the checkered pattern in all logos, except for the roundel. The squares are now almost twice as large as before. I think it should work this way.

Images have been updated.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:18 AM, Shadojoker said:

Beautiful logo set! One of the best sets I've seen on here. Clean, creative and classic yet risky! 

Thanks a lot, Shadojoker. Much appreciated!

On 6/25/2018 at 7:34 AM, chapper said:

This is really well done! Will we be getting any uniforms?

Thank you, chapper. Yes, a complete set of uniforms and court designs – sometime in July.

Just a note about the new color scheme: I decided to give the Pacers a more bluish, more saturated navy, a color that looks more like the one that the Pacers have used during their famous and highly popular Reggie Miller era in the 1980's and 1990's. It would definitely make a visual difference during televised games. Yet, I wanted to avoid them looking too much like the Golden State Warriors, so the new shade is also not too saturated, and not almost royal blue. In order to separate them even more from the uber-team from Oakland, their shade of gold is now a touch warmer than before – since I like this kind of yellow/gold very much. Silver is mainly functioning as an accent color in logos and uniforms, but, again to avoid looking too much like the Warriors primary court, it is much more prominent in the alternate court design.

Golden. NBA has some great logos now, but the only ones left I would still like to see updated are Dallas, Houston (just needs a touch up), Clippers (wish they'd go back to the old look, was way better), and OKC.

I don't *dislike* the present Pacers set-up, at most I'm ambivalent, but you really nail this new look for them. That primary logo is amazing.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Golden. NBA has some great logos now, but the only ones left I would still like to see updated are Dallas, Houston (just needs a touch up), Clippers (wish they'd go back to the old look, was way better), and OKC.

I don't *dislike* the present Pacers set-up, at most I'm ambivalent, but you really nail this new look for them. That primary logo is amazing.

Thanks a lot, WarriorFight.

I totally agree about your three teams that need some rebranding badly asap. The Clippers previous identity looked kind of baseballish because of the script. Yet, it was a unique identity, even though it wasn't the most creative one at all. But, compared to what they have now, it has looked lightyears better. OKC's mark is a joke that most of us have gotten used to. But what about the Brooklyn Nets? It will always look like some clipart – which is definitely not a good thing. Their uniforms look fine to me, but they need a complete logo package overhaul, since they have the cheesiest, most amateurish set in the entire league.

I also don't dislike Indiana's identity a bit. Yet, I never liked their roundel logo which, under Nike, has become their (international) primary mark. I just always thought that the "P" inside that circle is too small. Plus, it doesn't help that it's a cursive letter, which in my view makes the whole thing look even more clumsy, amateurish, and like a last minute thought. Their "P" looks good, clean and totally fine to me as a stand-alone mark, but I just don't like the fact that they've put it in the middle of a circle.

Archived