Proof that the Germans didn't start the Rings

Retromaniac

This is interesting. I was the won that metioned it in a previous post, becuase I had watched something on PBS on the ancient games compared to the modren. In it they said that the olympic rings were started by the nazia. That hey planted the rings in the dirt in Olympia Greece. It also said that the torch relay and lighting was started by the Nazis to show arian power. It also said that the original torch relay was the reverse route the Nazis would take in WWII a few years later. That's what the show said.

I just looked up in Encarta, the rings were started in 1920 however the tourch was started in in the 1936 Berlin hotler games.

Encarta

They just said that the flag debuted in 1920.

This is the definition on wikipedia.org;

"The Olympic flag is raised during the opening ceremonies of each Olympic Games, and lowered during the closing ceremonies. The flag uses the ancient symbol of the Olympic Games (five interlocking rings); blue, yellow, black, green, and red respectively on a white field uncovered by Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1892. The flag was first raised during the VIIth Olympiad in Antwerp, Belgium in 1920. It is fabled that every nation that has an Olympic team has at least one of their national colours in the Olympic flag.

The rings are said, thematically, to represent the habitable continents: Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania, and the Americas."

I seem to recall hearing during the opening ceremonies that the rings existed before 1920 and something along the lines of what jrkdevil typed.

Archived