Ben Simmons: Sixer, Rookie of the Year, Uniform Desiger?

Ben Simmons: Sixer, Rookie of the Year, Uniform Desiger?

June 26, 2018 - 16:02 PM

Ben Simmons’ 2018 NBA Rookie of Year Award may come with an additional perk most wouldn’t have thought, the opportunity to design a uniform for the Philadelphia 76ers. Let’s turn the clock back a few months, Simmons, then just a […]

Read More...

I’ve never even heard of the “president” they referenced. He certainly has no public presence - not sure if he’d even be able to authorize something like that. That being said, I hope they go through with it. Ben seems to have good style, and it’s a fun perk for winning an award, especially since brand consistency and overal identity doesn’t matter anymore in the league. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I’m curious as to what the consensus is on these boards about the two 76ers brands. Is that Dr J era/current look more popular or is the Iverson black and gold more popular? 

I prefer the current look as I feel it’s cleaner and more timeless, but I honestly don’t mind the Black and Gold stuff either. 

58 minutes ago, Vitalogy26 said:

I’m curious as to what the consensus is on these boards about the two 76ers brands. Is that Dr J era/current look more popular or is the Iverson black and gold more popular? 

With all due respect to Iverson, he couldn't hold Dr J's jock strap.  

Dr. J-era jerseys and it isn't close.

1 hour ago, Vitalogy26 said:

I prefer the current look as I feel it’s cleaner and more timeless, but I honestly don’t mind the Black and Gold stuff either. 

I'm in the minority of liking the Iverson-era (second generation w/ wide sleeves and black wordmark on the white jersey) but mostly because I didn't care for the red Dr. J era jersey.  It's tough to compare fairly, because the Doc-era were so tight and with short-shorts that they just looked bad.  Once Barkley was wearing them they fit a little better and looked really classy.  The Barkley-era also featured a professional number font, and not the local-sporting-goods-store-stock-heat-pressed-font (that they wear today too.)

If I was ranking current Sixers looks, it'd go:

Current (nike or previous) > Barkley > Iverson (2nd Gen) > Dr. J > probably some 70s stuff > Shawn Bradley Waterfall > any of the trash they wore in between the Iverson era and now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If they were to bring back an Iverson era jersey, it would probably be the black (since the organization has pretty much forgotten about their white jersey) but I would love to see the original white jersey with the gold letters make a return:

1307b1_lg.jpeg

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Current (nike or previous) > Barkley > Iverson (2nd Gen) > Dr. J > probably some 70s stuff > Shawn Bradley Waterfall > any of the trash they wore in between the Iverson era and now.

I would rank Iverson era ahead of Barkley (for sentimental reasons), but I otherwise agree with this ranking...

The current look is beautiful and I hope they never change.

YVRMUBj.png

My main problem with the G1 Iverson set is that the wordmark is just a big patch.  If it was individual letters, like the G2, then I'd like it a lot more.  I also think that the position of the number on the G2 is better.  I understand why they wanted the outline around the gold on the white jerseys, but I'd rather see it without.

6 hours ago, chakfu said:

How come the Sixers red jerseys never got the Patriots redcoat argument against them?

I like the late 70s / current look best, easily.

I think because a "76er" is kind of a vague term.  It's not even a real term - I've literally never heard it used outside the context of the team.  I think Patriots is clear cut, especially since their logo was at one time wearing a blue army coat.  76er could be anyone or anything specific to the time - like how one of their logos is Ben Franklin, who never donned a military uniform.

That being said, I prefer them in blue.  Their current uniforms - and I'm now sold on the superfluous shadow - are their best.

14 hours ago, Vitalogy26 said:

I like the Barkley era best.  They're pretty basic and fit right in with the Celtics, Pistons, and Bulls of the era.  Even after hearing the local rationale, though, I just can't deal with "Phila."  I'd reank the AI uniforms last, even those that minimize the black.  The 76ers, in my opinion, should be traditional and r/w/b, which is not really overused in the NBA.  Dr. J would be second-best.  I guess anything else that uses "Sixers" and no black would be next (the look previous to this look, which will be barely remembered, and then the waterfall).

The length of "Philadelphia," the length of "Seventy-Sixers," and the fact that I don't think the league will let them use "76ers" makes their choices all less than optimal.  I like "Sixers" better than "Phila"

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wanted to amend this list with one that I missed (the fact that I missed it should say something:)

Current (nike or previous) > Barkley > Iverson (2nd Gen) > Dr. J > probably some 70s stuff > Iverson (1st gen w/ gold wordmark) > Stackhouse era (Iverson rookie jersey) > Shawn Bradley Waterfall > any of the trash they wore in between the Iverson era and now.

[broken record alert] - I love Phila on the jerseys.  I get that the home could be better with "Sixers", but there's not really a home jersey anymore, I'm totally fine with PHILA on both.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:43 AM, chakfu said:

How come the Sixers red jerseys never got the Patriots redcoat argument against them?

I like the late 70s / current look best, easily.

Because of all the blue teams in the NBA at the time. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/26/2018 at 7:19 PM, Vitalogy26 said:

I honestly think the current Sixers are the best they've ever looked. Yes they wore red for years but this blue jersey just feels right.

And the Iverson era black was fun, and they should throw back occasionally. But they should NEVER go back to that. Sixers are rwb

I think the only jerseys that can make a solid case with the currents for the best in Sixers history are the original Dr.J blues the current one are based on, either with the block Sixers or the more rounded font. As

long as we pretend the shooting stars and the boring post AI looks didn’t exist I think the Sixers have always had solid jerseys

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived