On This Day

Crabcake

Not sure if this is a dumb idea or not but I figured I’d go for it, what the heck. This is a thread where we can celebrate the anniversaries of stuff that happened in sports history. Feel free to post YouTube clips, highlights, documentaries, etc about the event. I’ll get us started. 

On this day in 2004, the Washington Capitals drafted a young Russian forward by the name of Alexander Ovechkin. I’d say it’s worked out pretty well. 

spacer.png

On this day in 2013, the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles were 1,684 days away from winning the Super Bowl championship in Super Bowl LII.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

On this day in 2013, the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles were 1,684 days away from winning the Super Bowl championship in Super Bowl LII.

Is this the first in a series?

On this day, in 1991, Grandmama was drafted to the Charlotte Hornets...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Is this the first in a series?

A series of Super Bowl championships won by the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles?  Don't see why not.  They should be the favorites to win every one up until around LXII.  Hell, between Carson Wentz and Nick Foles thanking Jesus and the lord for everything in life, it's clear that even God herself is on board.

45 minutes ago, Buc said:

On this day, in 1991, Grandmama was drafted to the Charlotte Hornets...

Arguably the 2nd best shoe marketing campaign.  Just off the top of my head, I'm struggling to think of any that were more memorable (besides obviously Jordan.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Watching some of those old Tyson fights, you can see how much less concern the officials had for player safety. In the Spinks clip, there's no way he should have been given a second 10 count; a modern ref would have ended that fight immediately.

You can see all kinds of terrible 10 counts in earlier Mike Tyson fights. He's clobbering dudes, and they'll get back up after being knocked down, just to get immediately knocked out again.

Boxing isn't the best for your brain, but at least the officiating protects the fighters better now than they have in the past.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

46 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Watching some of those old Tyson fights, you can see how much less concern the officials had for player safety. In the Spinks clip, there's no way he should have been given a second 10 count; a modern ref would have ended that fight immediately.

You can see all kinds of terrible 10 counts in earlier Mike Tyson fights. He's clobbering dudes, and they'll get back up after being knocked down, just to get immediately knocked out again.

Boxing isn't the best for your brain, but at least the officiating protects the fighters better now than they have in the past.

like in this fight:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

16 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

What do you think about removing the obnoxious red banner from this topic title?

I can do that. I had initially put it there so that people knew it was sports history in case they got confused, because “on this day” is a little vague. I agree that it’s obnoxious though, so I’ll change it. 

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

I can do that. I had initially put it there so that people knew it was sports history in case they got confused, because “on this day” is a little vague. I agree that it’s obnoxious though, so I’ll change it. 

Good guy. Thanks!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 6/26/2018 at 5:15 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Ahhh, l knew I liked you for a reason, Vet. Listen, l adopted the Steelers at a young age to "piss" off my Mom's Eags loving family, but my cousins, uncles, and aunts in Bucks are now ready to sign over anything. Hell, Mom's sixty one with a couple of tats, now she's talking the eighties Eagle across her shoulders!!!! God Bless Philadelphia?

3 minutes ago, verno said:

Ahhh, l knew I liked you for a reason, Vet. Listen, l adopted the Steelers at a young age to "piss" off my Mom's Eags loving family, but my cousins, uncles, and aunts in Bucks are now ready to sign over anything. Hell, Mom's sixty one with a couple of tats, now she's talking the eighties Eagle across her shoulders!!!! God Bless Philadelphia?

In fact, there is probably a Facebook feed of my maternal family doing sort of illegal things a day after the Eags won the SB. The Vet can attest to this, this was an epic happening!!!! Philly is one wound up town, and never mention 1993 in my uncle's house, he will legit take a ratchet to your side your head!!! His intensions will be that you stop moving, no joke!!?

On 6/27/2018 at 2:09 PM, SabresRule7361 said:

On this day in 1988, Mike Tyson knocked out Michael Spinks in 91 seconds 

The third man in the ring that night was Frank Cappucino.  I had the privilege of meeting him in the early 1990's and maintaining a friendship with him up until his death about three years ago.  He taught me a lot of things that would probably make me well suited as either a boxing referee or judge if I ever opted to pursue it, and we talked about that fight more than once.  He told me during the prefight instructions he gave the fighters in their dressing rooms, he was half afraid Michael Spinks was going to **** himself out of fright; that he'd never seen a champion with a look of terror in his eye like that.

nav-logo.png

Archived