MLS: Our Similar Logo is Just a Coincidence

June 26, 2018 - 17:21 PM

Recently, Major League Soccer unveiled the uniforms they’ll be wearing for their 2018 MLS All-Star Game which will be played in Atlanta on August 1st. There wasn’t much to the uniforms, a simple white top with a gigantic TARGET department […]

Read More...

I think if it were just the use of a maple leaf and star, it could be deemed as "coincidence." However, given the manner and style in which the two elements were combined, I think it HAS to be taken as much more than that.

gYH2mW9.png

5 minutes ago, GeauxColonels said:

I think if it were just the use of a maple leaf and star, it could be deemed as "coincidence." However, given the manner and style in which the two elements were combined, I think it HAS to be taken as much more than that.

I disagree.  MLS has been running with the diagonal slash design across all platforms since 2014, before the CCSLC re-brand.  It's not like combining a star and maple leaf is terribly novel, either.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I disagree.  MLS has been running with the diagonal slash design across all platforms since 2014, before the CCSLC re-brand.  It's not like combining a star and maple leaf is terribly novel, either.

MLS's slashes have never "slashed" through any distinguishable shapes in the middle of the shield/circe, though. Usually every thing was above the slash.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

June 26, 2018 - 17:21 PM

mls-ccslc-compare.png

Recently, Major League Soccer unveiled the uniforms they’ll be wearing for their 2018 MLS All-Star Game which will be played in Atlanta on August 1st. There wasn’t much to the uniforms, a simple white top with a gigantic TARGET department […]

Read More...

Font is almost the same, and the points of the star and maple leaf are at nearly the exact same angles and proportions.

Yeah, they ripped it off. Wouldn’t expect anything less from a league that’s essentially a pyramid scheme. They’ll announce expansion teams to Sheboygan, Anchorage and Albuquerque soon. Oh, and move an original franchise to Austin.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

MLS's slashes have never "slashed" through any distinguishable shapes in the middle of the shield/circe, though. Usually every thing was above the slash.  

Shapes, maybe.  But they slash through graphics all the time. 

484128-a15326a44d64a4cf0e0ab289677a8240.v0UW-dRhRqx8Uzk5z_UWhMp2NsaorKEN2H4qNqmRVAR.jpg.jpeg

They do use a slash to divide patterned backgrounds.

B_mnFS5WQAAIXAy.jpg

That diagonal slash has been their signature thing since well before the CCSLC logo was unveiled.

To be fair, it's a different maple leaf, there's really only one way to draw a star, and if you're going to combine them, there aren't many options.. Plus, the particular maple leaf they chose as well as the star are common symbols for the two countries represented by the MLS, so it makes sense to choose those specific versions, rather than a random, modern maple leaf shape like the CCSLC logo.. What else could they have done (assuming they came up with this idea organically)? They certainly couldn't use the bottom of the maple leaf.. That wouldn't be very distinctive, and would just look silly.. Theirs  doesn't have the random extra angles that don't belong to either shape, so I can truly believe that they may have actually come up with this on their own, rather than ripping off another logo.. Although, the with the obvious similarities I certainly wouldn't be shocked to learn they got some "inspiration" from the CCSLC logo..

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I’ve been pretty aggressive with stolen work, but not sure this one rises to that level.  For all the reasons you mention.   

If a Beaver can sue a Crocodile for basically being similar then for the life of me how can the mls copy be any different?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

To be fair, it's a different maple leaf, there's really only one way to draw a star, and if you're going to combine them, there aren't many options.. Plus, the particular maple leaf they chose as well as the star are common symbols for the two countries represented by the MLS, so it makes sense to choose those specific versions, rather than a random, modern maple leaf shape like the CCSLC logo.. What else could they have done (assuming they came up with this idea organically)? They certainly couldn't use the bottom of the maple leaf.. That wouldn't be very distinctive, and would just look silly.. Theirs  doesn't have the random extra angles that don't belong to either shape, so I can truly believe that they may have actually come up with this on their own, rather than ripping off another logo.. Although, the with the obvious similarities I certainly wouldn't be shocked to learn they got some "inspiration" from the CCSLC logo..

It comes down too if one could be confused for the other and I would say that logo fits that criteria very well. 

On 6/26/2018 at 5:33 PM, Gothamite said:

Shapes, maybe.  But they slash through graphics all the time. 

484128-a15326a44d64a4cf0e0ab289677a8240.v0UW-dRhRqx8Uzk5z_UWhMp2NsaorKEN2H4qNqmRVAR.jpg.jpeg

They do use a slash to divide patterned backgrounds.

B_mnFS5WQAAIXAy.jpg

That diagonal slash has been their signature thing since well before the CCSLC logo was unveiled.

After the Buc-ee’s case, if Chris did sue, MLS would probably end up owning diagonal slashes through anything.

Is this just for their all-star game? If it’s a one-off, I would ignore it. If MLS were going to use it going forward like the flag patch on NFL helmets, I’d definitely try to get them to stop. In that situation, it would eventually put CCSLC in the bad spot of looking like they were the ones copying. Actually, I would probably have a lawyer send them a C&D letter no matter what... then they can’t bring it back in five years and claim Chris didn’t have a problem with it back in 2018.

15 hours ago, dont care said:

It comes down too if one could be confused for the other and I would say that logo fits that criteria very well. 

The legality of copyright or trademark infringement comes down to that, yes.. But the accusation of blatantly "ripping off a logo" does not come down to that at all.. They could be perfectly innocent, and still ordered to C&D due to CCSLC's IP regarding the logo, but that doesn't mean MLS ripped it off 

Archived