Shea Stadium

BaltimoreFan

Alright...I am a diehard mets fans (don't even think bout it) and i go to shea around 2-3 times a year. Of course the food is expensive and all of that junk. The place obviously compared to the newer parks is...well...im sorry to say it but it is a dump. The bathrooms are small too. But while your there be sure to get an ITALIAN SAUSAGE SANDWICH. You wont regret it.

nygiantsSig.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

I'm glad to have someone who's been their alot. I have a couple of questions. Can you bring food into the stadium? Are their vendors outside the stadium (I was hoping to get a Mike Piazza Jersey for a cheap price)? Also I read their was a little Mets Hall of Fame in the stadium, Is it open to all vistors? Thanks The only other park I've been to is Camden Yards.

Answers:

1) Yes, you can bring outside food in.

2) There is a HOF for the Mets, and is in the luxury box entry.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Well, if you want to do something outside of the park you can't because it's nothing but a big parking lot next to a used car dealer. Unless your taking the 7 train there you have to drive in order to get there. I went to Camden Yards about 2 months ago, and I have been to shea a few tyimes and trust me it's nothing like Camden.

Living in Queens, and being a Mets fan I've been to Shea countless times. So here's my evaluation...

1. It's not as much of a dump as everyone claims it to be (IMO). Having been to THE Stadium (Yankee Stadium) and to Shea (just for the sake of comparing the two NY ballparks), Yankee stadium is no better than Shea - Shea just gets a worse rep because it doesn't have the history that Yankee Stadium does.

2. From the exterior, yes, Shea is gross - but only because it's stuck in the 1960s with those stupid neon figures. It's just not up to a modern look, and it's not near a traditional/classic ballpark look. I like to think of Shea as the 1960's Mitchell & Ness throwback stadium.

3. As previously stated, don't touch the bathrooms. Not that I would at any stadium (it's always too crowded for my taste at any stadium/arena), but the BR at Shea is a particularly bad investment.

4. The food is ridiculously overpriced, but it doesn't matter because they don't care about outside food being brought in. I would suggest coming with a cooler (as if it were a BBQ or picnic) and just chill in your seats with good food from home.

5. Move up from your seats. The ushers don't care, the police don't bother you, and the fans don't care. That's the beauty of Shea. Buy cheap tickets for the upper deck, and move down as close to the field level as you want (moving to the box seats requires a certain amount of skill, but it's entirely possible).

6. I wouldn't buy anything at the stadium or outside of it. Jerseys, hats, whatever... I'd just go to a sporting goods store or something, because you're certain to pay ridiculous prices for the merchandise at the stadium. But that's a given with any sporting event.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

2. From the exterior, yes, Shea is gross - but only because it's stuck in the 1960s with those stupid neon figures. It's just not up to a modern look, and it's not near a traditional/classic ballpark look. I like to think of Shea as the 1960's Mitchell & Ness throwback stadium.

I can't disagree too much with your comments. But, I just wanted to say that the neon figures on Shea were added in the 1980s, during the Darryl and Doc years; they were not there originally.

Archived