MLB:PCSFG58: Minnesota Twins 4/10/2021

Htown1141

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, appleclock said:

I’d still try to pull the hind leg in towards center a bit a make the tail flow more with the body. It still looks disjointed. If you’re working off this reference image than this should help clear things up:

spacer.png

that is the reference image, but no need to expose me like that lmao

I think this is what you meant? I made the from leg farther back and f-ed with the tail a little bit. I think it made a huge difference.

n20nE5u.png

• 2 weeks later...

"Ruthless! Never seen like a shadow in the dark
except when I unload, see I'll get over the hesitation
and hear the scream of the one who got the last penetration"

-Eazy E

Hey y'all! I'm genuinely super excited to finally be working on this again, I just kinda lost motivation somewhere between Minnesota and Oakland (I was "working" on those before I drew the triceratops) and I became more passionate about one-off things (see here, here, here, and here) and expanding my skills outside of sports (see here). And even while I was in the middle of making this team, I got sidetracked and ended up writing over 6000 words for 2 1/2 years of alternate history baseball (please read and comment, it means a lot) But alas, I'm back.

Colorado Rockies (pt. 1): Colorado Triceratops(?)

I have always loved the idea of completely rebranding the Rockies. I genuinely do not understand what's so appealing about a powerpoint-made logo (no offense @ZionEagle), or trying to base a sports identity off a terrible font and a stock-image baseball. Furthermore, I've never been a fan of that slab-serif thing that so many damn Rockies concepts have, or any of the "simplified" looks. Personal preference, of course, but I now believe that I have the capability to execute what I think looks so much better than both their current look and the other concepts on the internet (at least in concept.I know there's a lot of stuff that can be better executed, as when @appleclock and others helped my on the triceratops logo itself. I'm always open to criticism and make sure to tell me if something feels "off". I'll make sure to adjust it and keep working).

xbtYhET.png

Now onto the set. I initially was gonna go with a no-mountain options, but soon realized that wasn't an option. The primary needed balance, so I added some mountains on to make sure it looked like a "full" logo. Next, the font. I decided to go with a tall font with the little pointy things on the sides (what are they called? I can't remember for the life of me). I figured with a relatively modern look, pinstripes were off the table. I decided to let the font and logo do most of the heavy lifting design-wise, only adding a little bit of trim on the sleeve tips and the pants. The numbers are also in the style of the new font, however it made practical sense for the pointy things to be left off for better spacing.

Omi2ftp.png

The alternates were simple enough. I really liked the way the "COLORADO" curved on the primary (I even do in their current logo), and it's a shame they don't have it as a jersey script. The state pride one was simple enough:

☑ Make this look like Colorado

☑ see step 1

qEDsyrE.png

I told myself that when I came back to this that I'd write more about each design choice, but I guess not. As always, comments and criticisms are more than welcome below, and I'll get to work on part deux.

Up next: Colorado Rockies 2: Electric Boogaloo

A quick throwaway idea; but I wonder if using a Stegosaurus for the Rockies' logo might be a viable alternative look; it is Colorado's state fossil and state dinosaur, after all, so it'd be an even better thematic touch to tie them to Colorado. I love the colors as they are, but that could be a fun alternate identity to take for the actual primary and secondary logo.

Overall, though, this looks REALLY nice. The use of the Colorado state colors here really makes the entire look quite sharp, and the placement makes everything pop and ensures that the text is legible from any distance.

Pretty impressive work on Colorado! The logos, colors and scripts are all a refreshing deviation from most Rockies concepts.

My only issue is with the State Pride alt--the mountains look like they're just floating there. Maybe use the old NHL Rockies logo as a jersey crest instead?

spacer.png

I’d raise every script on each jersey up a tad, they all seem low. Maybe you could also throw some

mountain design into the striping on the sleeve, similar to the nuggets striping on their shorts. Otherwise I love it, I would prefer purple imo, but if this were real I’d probably end up buying one of em.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Excellent work on the Rockies, but I think the mountains could be raised a little on the state pride alt. The triceratops looks awesome, and you made the right call in not over cluttering the jerseys. Can't wait to see where this goes!

the user formerly known as cdclt

I'm a big fan of the new color scheme for the Rockies, as well as the logo change. I find myself really liking the double outline of the word mark and number on the back of the home alternate while also a little thrown off by the red on the home and the way. Could we see an update where the home and away jerseys have the wordmarks double outlined with the number on the front and the back in blue with the double outline?

Great work on this series regardless of my critiques. I've really enjoyed reading through the thread and I'm glad to see you're back!

Excellent job with the Triceratops logo. I like the purple and black better than the red/yellow/blue. 

The fonts are a little too pointy for my liking. Maybe too bold. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Hey y'all!

I'm still working on Colorado; partially because of some family stuff, while the other part can be attributed to my indecisiveness. The below is a presentation of 4 options for the Rockies redux. Note that the lettering changes will not affect the primary logo, as I think the weight and style is fitting for its usage on that. However, I'd like to think that the wordmark could much be improved, as well as the jersey (great suggestion @BellaSpurs on the mountain striping, I was actually thinking of doing something like that but I can't seem to figure out how to do it effectively.) So here are the options:

iii4HSL.png

Please be sure to leave more suggestions and I would like to thank every single person who has given feedback thus far. I'll make sure to post both a revised and purple version very soon!

Well, I like it! You've done an excellent job with a fairly tough color scheme to get right (the primary color mix), while also producing a fantastic version of the triceratops and mountain designs. While the font isn't exactly my first choice for the area (I'm a slab-serif guy, as you noted), it fits well with the "Rocky-ness" of the design with its spurs and rough edges. My recommendation for changing it up would be to go with the top left or right option. Another suggestion would be to double outline the thinner letters from the top, so as to get all the colors without running into overlap or kerning issues. The home alternate showed that the double outline could work well, especially if the letters are thin and the front numbers are still contrast-colored.

My solution for mountain stripes was a simple sleeve cuff design. Connecting three or five triangles to the middle of the standard sleeve trim would work pretty well, especially with a blue fill and an approximation of the white areas from the primary logo. Granted, it would probably lead to you shrinking the triceratops logos, but that's a minor obstacle. 

I personally like the top left option the best, but I can't decide which is number two. The thin outline on the top right makes it look a little thin, but I have to wonder what it would look like with a double outline, like the bottom right, only with the thinner letters.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived