Stars and Stripes Across MLB, Patriotic Uniforms for July 2-3-4

Stars and Stripes Across MLB, Patriotic Uniforms for July 2-3-4

July 2, 2018 - 14:29 PM

Starting Monday and continuing for Tuesday and Wednesday, all Major League Baseball teams will be wearing commemorative stars and stripes patterned caps, jerseys, and socks in celebration of the Fourth of July / Independence Day holiday in the United States. […]

Read More...

48 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Many of the ills in our country spring from an environment when "patriotic" has become a synonym for "has stripes and stars on it." 

It took one post ? Ban stars and stripes!

I agree that the symbols of US freedom are often overemphasized vs. the freedoms they represent, but, in my opinion, the stars and stripes are an historical, efficient, and acceptable symbol for patriotism in the United States. It is bad that I am more offended by sports teams whitewashing their identities for these gimmick merch grabs?

I'm just glad the design on the lettering is exactly the same as last year because I've already created the pattern but have not finished applying it to all the teams. So I kind of get a break this summer. 

4 hours ago, C-Squared said:

I agree that the symbols of US freedom are often overemphasized vs. the freedoms they represent, but, in my opinion, the stars and stripes are an historical, efficient, and acceptable symbol for patriotism in the United States. It is bad that I am more offended by sports teams whitewashing their identities for these gimmick merch grabs?

We can be disgusted by both of those at the same time. ?

38 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

I'm never a fan of these special day jerseys or holiday uniforms but why are people being harsh on these?

Because some things should be above a shameless cash grab.  It’s just so scummy. 

And all holiday and special day uniforms are bad enough. 

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, it’s a no politics- period- allowed. 

If you want to continue making an issue out of it? Well we can deal with that too. 

You know you're the moderator of a small Internet forum about sports logos right? This isn't the Godfather. Just post "no politics allowed" instead of doing the whole "overlord" shtick.

17 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

You know you're the moderator of a small Internet forum about sports logos right? This isn't the Godfather. Just post "no politics allowed" instead of doing the whole "overlord" shtick.

Oh you’d have found a way to complain about that too if had I done that. Your posting history makes it quite clear. 

This year's cap is closer to being okay, but it's still way overdone. I've long said that, if MLB insists on doing something patriotic to sell more caps, just do them in team colors like they'd wear every day, but with a flag pattern in the logo, and put the American flag in place of the New Era logo. No gold trim, no league logos, no sublimated designs.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Archived