International Football 2018-2019

TrueYankee26

2 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

This is a huge improvement for Serie A rights in the U.S. -- ESPN+ is pretty solid from my (albeit limited) Championship experience with it so far.

The main reason i haven't gone over to it yet is complaints from MLS fans that have had their teams away games blacked out with no explanation from ESPN or MLS as to why that's happening. It's occurred with multiple teams. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'm happy to give ESPN $5/month once they provide an Xbox One app. It remains insane they don't have one yet.

Same boat for me.

They better get their crap together by the time they start airing UFC cards because between MMA and Serie A they are firmly in the "shut up and take my money" realm but I need a way to actually access said content first.

Exactly. And watching on my phone or a browser window is definitely not good enough. And while a $30 Roku could solve my problem, eff that.

And this is probably the best ever year for MLS soccer! Thank God the Fox/ESPN games of the week are generally good.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Looks like Thibaut Courtois has succeeded in forcing a move from Chelsea to Real Madrid, with a season-long loan for Mateo Kovacic as part of the package going the other way.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3589615/chelsea-and-real-madrid-agree-fee-for-transfer-of-goalkeeper-thibaut-courtois

This likely means the world record fee for a goalkeeper will be broken again this summer, as Chelsea panic-buy Kepa from Athletic Bilbao for 80 million euros as a replacement.

8 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Looks like Thibaut Courtois has succeeded in forcing a move from Chelsea to Real Madrid, with a season-long loan for Mateo Kovacic as part of the package going the other way.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3589615/chelsea-and-real-madrid-agree-fee-for-transfer-of-goalkeeper-thibaut-courtois

This likely means the world record fee for a goalkeeper will be broken again this summer, as Chelsea panic-buy Kepa from Athletic Bilbao for 80 million euros as a replacement.

This makes me smile because Chelsea seem to be one player revolt away from becoming a yo-yo club again. It most likely won't happen but I can see them finishing as low as 8th this year. 

In other news, Bayern whipped a provincial club 20-2 today. I guess they forgot the meaning of friendly match.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

This makes me smile because Chelsea seem to be one player revolt away from becoming a yo-yo club again. It most likely won't happen but I can see them finishing as low as 8th this year. 

In other news, Bayern whipped a provincial club 20-2 today. I guess they forgot the meaning of friendly match.

Chelsea are losing probably one of top 3-5 players in Courtois, have a new manager, and could lose their best player within a year or two. They still have Drinkwater and Bakayoko on their books, clogging up the pipeline for players such as RLC. They have a new manager who is know for all our attack, which can be torn to shreds by counter attacking teams like Liverpool. They are teetering for sure, despite a dynamite midfield trio of Jorginho-Kante-Kovacic. 

And with third season syndrome sure to kick in at Man Utd sooner rather than later, and Arsenal having a good window with a fresh manager I could very easily see Man U and Chelsea finishing outside the Top 6. 

Big predictions:

Top 6 (in order): City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea 

Relegated: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Southampton

Golden Boot: Harry Kane

PFA POTY: Kevin De Bruyne 

PFA YPOTY: Ryan Sessegnon

spacer.png

On 8/2/2018 at 3:12 PM, dfwabel said:

Spanish language rights with Univision will have a CL group stage match on over the air on Univision or UniMas and one on Univision Desportes (Group stage matches are now double-headers). Univision's ratings will be close to TNT, if not better.

Only UniMas and Univision Desportes will air Eurpoa League games.

Univision confirmed their CL commitment to linear telecasts.

Speaking exclusively with Sports Illustrated, Univision's Senior VP/Sports Programming & Acquisitions Eric Conrad gave details on their broadcasting plans and expressed how the overall goal is maximum exposure to their soccer-loving audience. "We view the Champions League as the premier of competition in the world of soccer, so for us we wanted to acquire those rights and then make it as many games available to our audience as we possibly could."  

The statement is backed up as beginning on August 21, 22, Univision will carry 137 Champions League matches live across its platforms, 97 of which will air on its linear networks – Univision, Univision Deportes Network (UDN), UniMás and Galavisión. As a linear comparison, TNT is believed to show 46 matches. The other advantage is that non-linear matches will be available for free on digital and if you have a cable subscription and the network is included in your package, you will be able to watch every game digitally via its app or the website. If not, fans can still have access to selected non-linear matches for free, whether you have cable subscription or not.

This is a major move by Univision as it hopes to also attract non-Spanish speakers dedicated to the tournament who despite the language barrier, they will migrate to the network as it looks for quality broadcasting.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/08/09/champions-league-univision-coverage-press-release-uefa-europa?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=si-soccer&utm_source=twitter.com

So glad the Premier League is back, even if it started with a United win ? can’t wait to see the Reds back in action on Sunday. Bold prediction: Naby Keita is going to take this league by storm. 

spacer.png

As great as it was to have United score so quickly, gah, that's almost the worst thing to happen to United from an entertainment standpoint.

Mourinho's style sucks the fun out of a game like that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

West Ham was talked about as possible Top 4 or Top 6 contenders.  . . . Then get whipped 4-0 by Liverpool. Surprisingly almost every televised EPL game has been played wide open, save United vs Liecester. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

55 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

West Ham was talked about as possible Top 4 or Top 6 contenders.  . . . Then get whipped 4-0 by Liverpool. Surprisingly almost every televised EPL game has been played wide open, save United vs Liecester. 

West Ham have the talent to get to where they were in that one glorious season they had with Payet, but because they have so many new talented players coming in at once, they need time to gel. It won’t happen overnight. 

spacer.png

On 8/8/2018 at 2:09 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Chelsea are losing probably one of top 3-5 players in Courtois, have a new manager, and could lose their best player within a year or two. They still have Drinkwater and Bakayoko on their books, clogging up the pipeline for players such as RLC. They have a new manager who is know for all our attack, which can be torn to shreds by counter attacking teams like Liverpool. They are teetering for sure, despite a dynamite midfield trio of Jorginho-Kante-Kovacic. 

And with third season syndrome sure to kick in at Man Utd sooner rather than later, and Arsenal having a good window with a fresh manager I could very easily see Man U and Chelsea finishing outside the Top 6. 

Big predictions:

Top 6 (in order): City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea 

Relegated: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Southampton

Golden Boot: Harry Kane

PFA POTY: Kevin De Bruyne 

PFA YPOTY: Ryan Sessegnon

I'm not that optimistic about The Gunners.

From August 16: https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/08/16/la-liga-regular-season-match-us

Spain's top soccer league plans to play a regular season game in the United States or Canada as part of a new 15-year partnership with sports and entertainment group Relevent.

No date or location has been named for the match.

La Liga features two of the world's most profitable and popular teams in Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"This extraordinary joint venture is the next giant leap in growing soccer's popularity in North America," Relevent chairman and owner Stephen Ross said. "This unique relationship will create new opportunities for millions of North American soccer fans to experience the most passionate, exciting, and highest level of soccer in the world."

And yesterday: https://deadspin.com/la-liga-players-hate-idea-of-playing-games-in-the-u-s-1828535647

La Liga Players Hate Idea Of Playing Games In The U.S. So Much They Might Go On Strike

About a week after Spain’s La Liga and U.S. sports marketing firm Relevant Sports announced a deal that would see one regular season La Liga match played in the U.S. every year for the next 15 years, the Spanish league’s players have weighed in. It turns out they think the idea is trash.

“The captains are outraged, they’re against it, they are unanimous,” Spanish Footballers’ Association (AFE) president David Aganzo said, per the BBC.

On Wednesday, players from around the league—including prominent Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid, and Barcelona players like Sergio Ramos, Nacho, Koke, Juanfran, Sergio Busquets, and Sergi Roberto—met in Madrid to discuss the Relevant Sports-La Liga deal. Aganzo then relayed the players’ message to the media. From the BBC:

Aganzo said: “The problem is the lack of common sense, a schedule where only the export of soccer benefits - nobody counts on the fans.

“It does not make sense. We are talking about an agreement that has a validity of 15 years without consulting the players.”

The only teams anyone would want to see are Real Madrid and Barcelona, and maybe Atletico Madrid. No one's pumped for Getafe or Eibar, and those are the teams most likely to lose a home game in service of an exhibition for the bigger clubs.

But beyond that, who wants this? I could see the draw of Premier League matches played in the US; there's far more parity (well, as much as you'll get in European soccer) in the UK league than any of the other big Euro leagues making a regular-season matchup more compelling. But is there any functional difference between watching Messi trounce a lower-Spanish club than the ICC exhibitions?

I think a Champions League round played in the US -- blasphemous as that may be -- would make more sense. But this seems like an overreach for La Liga.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

From August 16: https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/08/16/la-liga-regular-season-match-us

And yesterday: https://deadspin.com/la-liga-players-hate-idea-of-playing-games-in-the-u-s-1828535647

The only teams anyone would want to see are Real Madrid and Barcelona, and maybe Atletico Madrid. No one's pumped for Getafe or Eibar, and those are the teams most likely to lose a home game in service of an exhibition for the bigger clubs.

But beyond that, who wants this? I could see the draw of Premier League matches played in the US; there's far more parity (well, as much as you'll get in European soccer) in the UK league than any of the other big Euro leagues making a regular-season matchup more compelling. But is there any functional difference between watching Messi trounce a lower-Spanish club than the ICC exhibitions?

I think a Champions League round played in the US -- blasphemous as that may be -- would make more sense. But this seems like an overreach for La Liga.

It's to test the viability of a Super League with the top teams in Europe. They keep hinting at the top 20 teams breaking away ala the Premier League with the added bonus of no relegation for those members back to their domestic leagues. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

32 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's to test the viability of a Super League with the top teams in Europe. They keep hinting at the top 20 teams breaking away ala the Premier League with the added bonus of no relegation for those members back to their domestic leagues. 

Huh. I wonder why that's better than Champions League.

6 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Huh. I wonder why that's better than Champions League.

It's only better for the 20 teams involved because they'll avoid trips to Russia and Eastern Europe in the middle of winter. It's not necessarily better for anyone else other than them.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived