Boca product line - New Packaging

BelfourThibault

I realize that this is probably not a super popular product around here, but having been a vegetarian for 18 years, I was surprised to see that they finally changed the packaging for Boca products. Back in the early 2000's when there weren't really as many widely distributed products for vegetarians as there are today, I used to kill these things. 

Old:

Image result for boca burgers

New: 

Image result for boca burgers

What the hell is going on with that wordmark? An unnecessary gray outline, an outlined drop shadow to the left, and another drop shadow to the right that doesn't properly align with the letters. What a mess. And the whole design is too generic and simplistic.

spacer.png

On 7/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, BelfourThibault said:

I realize that this is probably not a super popular product around here, but having been a vegetarian for 18 years, I was surprised to see that they finally changed the packaging for Boca products. Back in the early 2000's when there weren't really as many widely distributed products for vegetarians as there are today, I used to kill these things. 

This isn't design related, but it has always puzzled me.

I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but there are some very good non-meat dishes out there.

I've always been bothered by Boca's (and others) marketing approach.

If you told me this was a vegetable patty, I might eat and enjoy one of these.

Why not market as vegetables?  Why must they always call these things "burgers" when they're so not a burger?

Why do they so often market vegetarian dishes as a non-meat version of a meat dish - "burger" "steak" etc?

Why not just market vegetarian dishes as vegetables and highlight the benefits instead of trying to deceive me into thinking this is some meat replacement and I'm not going to tell the difference when I most certainly am?

It went from being forgettable, generic mush to being loud, obnoxious simplicity. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

20 hours ago, burgundy said:

What the hell is going on with that wordmark? An unnecessary gray outline, an outlined drop shadow to the left, and another drop shadow to the right that doesn't properly align with the letters. What a mess. And the whole design is too generic and simplistic.

The letters are supposed to look 3D, so the shadows make sense.

Like this:

tumblr_o2bw6o5EWE1qi4z1yo1_1280.jpg

Just not as drastic.

21 hours ago, Sport Billy said:

I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but there are some very good non-meat dishes out there.

Why not market as vegetables?  Why must they always call these things "burgers" when they're so not a burger?

Why do they so often market vegetarian dishes as a non-meat version of a meat dish - "burger" "steak" etc?

Why not just market vegetarian dishes as vegetables and highlight the benefits instead of trying to deceive me into thinking this is some meat replacement and I'm not going to tell the difference when I most certainly am?

Is what they've been doing not working? The product is already implicitly meatless - marketing the taste seems more constructive than simply reinforcing what the consumer already knows about the product. I would guess overcoming the stereotype that vegetarian food tastes bad is more important than reminding people that vegetarian brands make vegetarian food.

6 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The letters are supposed to look 3D, so the shadows make sense.

Like this:

tumblr_o2bw6o5EWE1qi4z1yo1_1280.jpg

Just not as drastic.

The shadows still don't work because it's a flat, straight-on view, and the shadow should be aligned to the corner of the dropshadow if that's the effect they were going for. The shadow isn't even aligned to the actual letters either, so I don't know what there were doing.

spacer.png

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, Sport Billy said:

By doing that, I'm guessing that they're trying to cash in on the non-vegetarian market, so that when they find out it's not meat, they're pleasantly surprised and buy more. That'd also explain the move to a more "meaty" and bold font. (Pun intended)

On 7/16/2018 at 2:45 PM, C-Squared said:

Is what they've been doing not working? The product is already implicitly meatless - marketing the taste seems more constructive than simply reinforcing what the consumer already knows about the product. I would guess overcoming the stereotype that vegetarian food tastes bad is more important than reminding people that vegetarian brands make vegetarian food.

I understand what you're saying, but can you express that your food taste good without trying to say it taste like a burger when despite being good, taste nothing like a burger?

On 7/15/2018 at 5:55 PM, Sport Billy said:

I think for a lot of people, it's just the familiarity of terms. A lot of people who choose to eat a vegetarian diet don't do so because they don't like the way a burger tastes, but for other reasons. I've never been the preachy type of vegetarian who talks down to meat eaters or anything. My best guess as to why they call it a burger, despite not actually being meat, is because everyone is familiar with the concept of grilling burgers on the BBQ or with a side of fries. I would guess that "veggie burger" would also sell better than "meatless soy patty". I do understand what you're saying, though. 

On 7/15/2018 at 5:55 PM, Sport Billy said:

I get what you're trying to say, but at this point, "veggie burgers" are a thing of their own. If they started calling these "vegetable patties," lots of people would wonder why they weren't calling them veggie burgers. I don't think anyone is deceived by this description, or thinks that they're not going to tell the difference between this and a beef burger.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived