Gothamite

San Diego Padres focus-grouping new uniforms for 2020

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, NicDB said:


I must say, this does not look terrible...

basball26.jpg
 


Seeing how you already admitted to trolling me in another thread and got called out for it, people are right to be suspicious of you.

 

The light blue "cools" off the brown too much.  Works fine in some cases, but the Padres brown is so associated with "warm" schemes that I think this would be just as bad as sticking with what they have now.  

 

While I'm pro brown/yellow (maybe orange too), I'm not anti navy, as long as it has a bright color to go with it - like the orange or yellow that they've used before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brown/yellow or Brown/orange, done. The Padres don't need to overthink it. The league doesn't need any more blue(especially navy) or red for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dont care said:

That’s cool, doesn’t change the fact that the majority of their fans want brown. Why should the Padres care what a poster on this website thinks especially if they are part of a different fan base. 

 

Literally from the article (and the first post in the thread):

"Brown and yellow was the favorite with blue and white close behind. Neither had a majority."

 

It's entirely possible it 40/35/25 on the split on what people want.  Acting like the majority of fans want brown (and the focus groups says otherwise) is just incorrect.

 

And you don't need red if you go to navy blue.  The team actually wore orange with navy once upon a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2018 at 12:04 AM, BJ Sands said:

I can’t wait until the Padres try to combine brown with navy blue. 

 

“That’s what our fans wanted!”

 

The San Diego Beach Shades

71dAS6lAntL._SX480_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While navy and orange wouldn't be my first choice, it would certainly be a hell of a lot better than what they wear now. Navy and yellow would be preferable. 

 

My theory is that those of us on this site who feel it's a no-brainer that the Padres should bring back the brown look at the league as a whole and argue the Padres could be wearing something that sets them apart from every other team, whereas many of those San Diego fans who were polled likely don't care that there are already too many other MLB teams who wear navy. The fact is, the Padres have had more success in navy (four division titles including one WS appearance) than they ever did in brown, so that might factor into some of those fans' responses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 12:00 PM, coco1997 said:

While navy and orange wouldn't be my first choice, it would certainly be a hell of a lot better than what they wear now. Navy and yellow would be preferable. 

 

My theory is that those of us on this site who feel it's a no-brainer that the Padres should bring back the brown look at the league as a whole and argue the Padres could be wearing something that sets them apart from every other team, whereas many of those San Diego fans who were polled likely don't care that there are already too many other MLB teams who wear navy. The fact is, the Padres have had more success in navy (four division titles including one WS appearance) than they ever did in brown, so that might factor into some of those fans' responses. 

 

But then they quoted some participants as saying the navy and orange looked like Detroit, and brown and orange was too close to the Giants. The navy and yellow really did go a long way to please everybody. It even matched the Chargers' colors to a degree. The fact that they went out of their way to bring in yellow, and just got rid of it (planned or not) is just baffling. They didn't even take yellow into consideration for these latest polls. smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

My theory is that those of us on this site who feel it's a no-brainer that the Padres should bring back the brown look at the league as a whole and argue the Padres could be wearing something that sets them apart from every other team, whereas many of those San Diego fans who were polled likely don't care that there are already too many other MLB teams who wear navy. The fact is, the Padres have had more success in navy (four division titles including one WS appearance) than they ever did in brown, so that might factor into some of those fans' responses. 

 

You're probably right, Padres fans probably don't care that a lot of other teams wear navy.

 

And yet brown is the consensus color among those fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Padres did also make the World Series in 1984 in the yellow, orange, and brown. Winning a division was tougher back then because were only two teams that made the the playoffs in each league so I don't think success has much to do with it. I will say, I don't remember too many teams that were THIS interested in what their fan base thought about their unis. The fans have websites and even sections at Petco that are all for "Bring Back the Brown". One brown team in the MLB isn't going to hurt because as I have said, other than Milwaukee and the Diamondbacks, the MLB team unis seem solid especially since they got over the BFBS(looking at you Reds).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think navy and orange is much better than brown and orange. Not trolling I swear. I get a much more “San Diego-ish” vibe from blue. Orange is underused in baseball, even though the Giants have it, they’ve always kind of been a black first team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2018 at 6:51 AM, Teal said:

Brown or bust. 

 

Get it done. 

I'm with you. Was born and raised a Padres fan but after their post All-Star game look a few years back, I decided that I would not support the team until they go back to brown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I get a much more “San Diego-ish” vibe from blue.

And I get a "padre-ish" vibe from brown.

 

Brown isn't played out. And happens to be the consensus choice according to the most recent focus group. Guess brown's the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bouj said:

Literally from the article (and the first post in the thread):

"Brown and yellow was the favorite with blue and white close behind. Neither had a majority."

This was the problem with this focus group testing:  it either (i) should have been presented in an "either/or" fashion between the two color choices, or (ii) merely used as a first round to eliminate the less popular options, followed by another round with just two choices to make.  The more options you provide, the more cluttered a response you'll get.

 

46 minutes ago, Placebo said:

Just pick a colour scheme and keep it for 25 years ?

The Colorado Rockies have done that (save some minor tweaks) and created their own iconic look.  They got it right the first time, and save some minor deviations, they've had the good sense to stay with it.

 

The Florida Marlins, Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Arizona Diamondbacks meanwhile have no truly formative identity because they've failed to stick with anything for any considerable period of time without screwing with it.

 

Same with the '76 expansion teams:  the Blue Jays developed an iconic look that was so beloved that when they deviated from it, they caught hell from fans.  The Mariners meanwhile have only within the past decade or so figured out not to screw around too much with the on-field look.

 

What do you remember of the 1969 expansion?  The Seattle Pilots, who despite flying off to Milwaukee after a year fairly quickly built an iconic look with the ball-in-glove; one, in fact, they tried to escape from but couldn't due to popular demand.  The Kansas City Royals?  They were the Rockies before the Rockies - they got it right, right off the bat, and have pretty much left it alone.  The Montreal Expos?  For a quarter century they had arguably the most unique look in all of professional baseball - not necessarily the best, but definitely iconic.  And then... you had the Padres, who a half century later still have their heads up their asses in this area when all they really needed to do was stick to their original brown-and-yellow color scheme the whole time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

This was the problem with this focus group testing:  it either (i) should have been presented in an "either/or" fashion between the two color choices, or (ii) merely used as a first round to eliminate the less popular options, followed by another round with just two choices to make.  The more options you provide, the more cluttered a response you'll get.

From the sound of it, that's exactly what they did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, daveindc said:

It even match the Chargers' colors to a degree.

That is not a good quality any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2018 at 10:24 AM, Cardsblues02 said:

Hell no. 

 

Navy and Sand or bust. Brown has no place. Move on, should have moved on 20 years ago.

Yeah, navy has a place... On about half the other teams in MLB.

 

Brown and gold is a great looking color scheme, it's unique, and even after all this time, it's still their signature look. They're morons to keep pushing their boring navy looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I think navy and orange is much better than brown and orange. Not trolling I swear. I get a much more “San Diego-ish” vibe from blue. Orange is underused in baseball, even though the Giants have it, they’ve always kind of been a black first team.

Six teams use orange in their color schemes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Placebo said:

Just pick a colour scheme and keep it for 25 years ?

I feel like I've been saying this forever. Sticking to something, whatever it is, will go a long way in fixing the Padres' problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

The Florida Marlins, Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Arizona Diamondbacks meanwhile have no truly formative identity because they've failed to stick with anything for any considerable period of time without screwing with it.

I disagree with this. A few teams have stuck to virtually one look forever and it has worked (Rockies, Dodgers, Royals, Red Sox)... a few teams have changed too many times and become a mess because of it (Padres of course)... but it's also possible to change multiple times and still have an identity within their history. I wouldn't say the Marlins, Rays, and DBacks have "no identity." Compare it to the Phillies and White Sox who have had multiple looks throughout their history yet still have an identity even if that identity has multiple parts to it. Sometimes it's broken up into "eras" but you can also have an identity without keeping ONE look forever. 

 

If I misread what you meant then let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I wouldn't say the Marlins, Rays, and DBacks have "no identity." Compare it to the Phillies and White Sox who have had multiple looks throughout their history yet still have an identity even if that identity has multiple parts to it. Sometimes it's broken up into "eras" but you can also have an identity without keeping ONE look forever. 

 

No, there's breaking by era (e.g., White Sox) sure, but then there's doing some modification to a look every one to three years, which is that the Marlins, Devil Rays and Diamondbacks have done basically since their inception.  I'm not necessarily an advocate for keeping the same look forever.  But no matter the look, you need to stick with it for an appreciable period of time in order for it to resonate with your audience.

 

To my generation, The Philadelphia Phillies are a team that wore maroon rather than red, blue road jerseys, and a "P" with a baseball within it on the caps.  Meanwhile to my generation, you watched the Pittsburgh Pirates in some small part just to see what wild-ass combination of pillbox cap, jersey shirt and pants they were going to wear for that game.  To this generation, the Phillies have a modernization of their 1950's look and the Pirates have a solid but staid look by comparison to those days.  And that's fine.  But if you've been a Diamondbacks fan since their inception 20 years ago, how many different looks (or annual modifications on those looks) have you seen come and go already?  Eight?  Nine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.