San Diego Padres focus-grouping new uniforms for 2020

Gothamite

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Why would the Marlins want to switch from "Miami," which is sexy and glamorous, back to "Florida," which is where Florida Man lives?

@the admiral summed it up best:

On 10/11/2015 at 12:40 PM, the admiral said:

The Marlins were named for Florida because Wayne Huizenga is one of those Broward County snobs who thinks Miami is just a cesspool of drugs and ethnics.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 5:00 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Some people have a fascination with the vintage PCL. It's part of why Ebbets Field Flannels does so much business. However, not all of the PCL teams had particularly memorable looks or names. The PCL Padres had some pretty inventive designs, some of which the NL Padres have emulated over the years (to varying degrees of success):

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1936-38.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1967-68.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1939-41.png

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1949.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1951-52.png

While these imitations aren't exact, they get the basic idea across:

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1974.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory2004.png

Of course, a lot of the PCL color schemes were navy/red, royal/red, and navy/orange permutations. That's why I maintain that the NL Padres should update some PCL aesthetics and put their own spin on it (read: brown/yellow, navy/powder/orange, brown/powder/yellow, etc.). Just imitating the PCL Padres whole-cloth doesn't work in a modern age of branding.

Looking at these reinforces my dislike for pin stripes. Having said that the bottom left are my favorites.

"We're going to a dark, rich brown"

UdxFHgm.gif?1

"We're thinking of pairing it with dark navy, camo, and black, based on our poll results - we want all of our fans satisfied!"

mqdefault.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

22 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Wait, please tell me that's a joke and they'll choose a color that actually contrasts...please.

It’s a joke. The ownership group has resigned themselves (I say this because they collectively dislike brown but to their credit are acquiescing to their fans) albeit a darker brown, apparently.  I hope it doesn’t look like the Pirates black/yellow combo.  

I do believe they will still keep a camo version for Sunday.  

I was kidding.  I merely have no faith in the Padres to do anything right.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, larrypep said:

It’s a joke. The ownership group has resigned themselves (I say this because they collectively dislike brown but to their credit are acquiescing to their fans) albeit a darker brown, apparently.  I hope it doesn’t look like the Pirates black/yellow combo.  

I do believe they will still keep a camo version for Sunday.  

Ugh, I hope it doesn't look like the Pirates too. Although they said the brown was "rich"...it can't be too rich if it's almost black, because black is the absence of color, right? Please tell me I'm right here...

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

It'll probably be something close to the shade the Browns use, right? Isn't that actually "dark brown?"

If I were a betting man, that's what my money would be on.  And if so, I'm hoping there's a noticable difference in how it looks between sunny San Diego in the summer and gloomy Cleveland in the fall.

6 hours ago, daveindc said:

The brown that the Padres used from '85- '89 was darker and richer than this drab, sludge color they wear now. It'll probably be close to that: https://teamcolorcodes.com/san-diego-padres-color-codes/

Those uniforms looked okay. As long as the naked eye can differentiate it from black I'm cool. 

Incidentally, was the 1985-89 shade the one Tony Gwynn referred to as "baby poop brown", or was it the one before that? I would think their original shade would look more like baby poop, but I don't have kids, so...

2 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Those uniforms looked okay. As long as the naked eye can differentiate it from black I'm cool. 

Incidentally, was the 1985-89 shade the one Tony Gwynn referred to as "baby poop brown", or was it the one before that? I would think their original shade would look more like baby poop, but I don't have kids, so...

Baby poop is seldom a basic brown, in my experience.  I think I've seen more diapers with Longhorn orange in them  than Padre brown.

Archived